• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

You have a very similar character in the Twili from Twilight Princess. Midna says that none of her people would have messed with the kind of power Zant obtained since they lost their king to such greed. In the case of the Twili, it is a single person in a host of many others who ends up acting out of character.

Well, the players never get to develop a connection with the Twili as we do the Gorons, but I do not think it is so out of place for a single Goron out of many, many others to act differently. If anything, it seems odd if a few outliers never existed at all.

A good way to make this work and still be characteristic of the Goron race might be to develop a sympathetic antagonist. Have such an outlier act in the best interest of his people's while justifying his own actions due to some wrong or slant against his people.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I could see that, if he feels betrayed by the Hylians or something, but I still think assassination is uncharacteristic. If the Gorons felt slighted it feels more like they'd go to war, or maybe show up and challenge the king to a one on one fight

I was trying to find some sort of deeper plot twist or connection behind the whole eruption/explosion of Death Mountain. Having the whole disaster seem intentional provides some direction to take the plot. Having our Link unearth the truth and what he/she does afterwards seems rather... interesting.

The Goron Patriarch just seemed like good idea to work with that was mentioned before. It does not have to assassination or have the Goron be the main protagonist. He could just be a tool for some other power at play.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well then, was the king assassinated after all? Do the Gorons inhabit Hyrule because of malpractice or because of natural circumstance?

Also Xeylode, I edited my last post in case you're on 40ppp and no longer see it on your current page.

If the Goron Patriarch is a tool, he must have no direct connection with the true antagonist. More so a fool than a tool for easing the antagonist's dominion... but potentially hurting his/her ambition by inadvertently smothering Hyrule in ash. What if the antagonist wanted access to some secret hidden within Hyrule City (not the Triforce), but was thwarted by the Goron Patriarch's Death Mountain experiment, which effectively buried that secret?

OH, that is how you envisioned the underground. Okay, either way, we will have settlements of some kind.

I was describing some ideas of how we could give the communities a bit of a life. It's important to show how these people make a living in the underground and no one has given many explicit thoughts on the type of life they might have to whether through. Caring for animals and fungus and glowing plants helps set the setting a bit.

Glad you liked some of the other ideas.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Well, another thing to consider, if this is centuries after the fact is said patriarch even still around? Maybe Gorons can live that long, but we have no reason to think so as far as I'm aware. Maybe the power that allows him to destroy death mountain also grants him eternal youth?

Just saw Spire's edit, I like the idea of a Goron feeling slighted and being manipulated, it plays much more into their cultural personality I think. Maybe the true antagonist is responsible for the assassination but the Gorons assist in some way?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Maybe the power that allows him to destroy death mountain also grants him eternal youth?
Triforce of Power ?

If the true antagonist controls the Goron Patriarch then they control the entire Goron nation... that is now spread across Hyrule.

Man, this can't become a rehash of Twilight Princess's story. Given the setting, what else could have possibly happened? What could be at stake? Hyrule is destroyed; what people cherish is now underground. Is the underground at risk? What if everything of Hyrule yore no longer mattered. The Master Sword, the Triforce, the Sacred Realm, the Temple of Time—as Jam suggested earlier on—what if none of that mattered? What if this took place in Hyrule and despite the fact, all of its artifacts have been exhausted?

etecoon

Smash Hero
That would make sense as we of course can't say for sure that Ganondorf should have lived as long as he did, it's possible the ToP was responsible for that. But it depends on which way we go with it, if the Goron leader is simply being manipulated it doesn't make sense for the antagonist to have allowed him the ToP. Also have to think about whether we really want to do that, you had specifically said that some elements of Zelda dogma would be best left alone

I like the manipulation idea you guys are going with. But does the Goron know about it? Does he do it without knowing he is being used?

The Triforce has a mind of its own.
The Triforce is used to cause the destruction of death mountain.
The triforce is being used to control the Goron Patriarch.

In what ways do you fear a rehash of TP exactly? The fight of good vs evil is a always being worked in the Zelda series. We have an oath that evil will continue to haunt the spirit of the hero throughout time.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Unless the Triforce is a lesser power now.

Edit: What if the Triforce is the antagonist. What if the Triforce was designed to bring an end to Hyrule. What if the destruction of Death Mountain is but the first of three catastrophes that will annihilate the land entirely?

So the triforce granted to the people for hope is losing its power after all this time and becomes a bit unstable? A bit radioactive or explosive or something? Ugh... This being more confusing with no hope of connection lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
In what ways do you fear a rehash of TP exactly? The fight of good vs evil is a always being worked in the Zelda series. We have an oath that evil will continue to haunt the spirit of the hero throughout time.
Villain acquires godlike powers

Ganondorf shows up halfway through and has been manipulating other villain the entire time

Personally I'd prefer the triforce not appear at all in this, there are other mystical powers that could be responsible

Edit: What if the Triforce is the antagonist. What if the Triforce was designed to bring an end to Hyrule.
I don't know about antagonist but maybe it could be painted in a light that as long as that power exists, there are people who would abuse it, Link's ultimate destiny is to destroy the triforce?

So the triforce granted to the people for hope is losing its power after all this time and becomes a bit unstable? A bit radioactive or explosive or something? Ugh... This being more confusing with no hope of connection lol
Reminds me of the theory that the ark of the covenant was a nuclear reactor...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Look, I'm just gonna say this: I am not opposed to Ganon being in this, so long as we can cook up a unique way to display him. Even the slightest mention of him or anything related to him would be a dead giveaway. He would need a motive unlike any seen before. If his motive is to take over the world, then we've seen this story before.

What if Ganondorf had been posing as the King of Hyrule when he was killed. Without the Triforce of Power, he's mortal. What if by whatever chance, he happened to die in an 'accident' caused by the Goron Patriarch, who because doing so is cast as the villain throughout our story until you encounter Ganondorf's Spirit, which awakens from his tomb in the Temple of Time as he senses you. I imagine late into the game you venture back to the Temple of Time and gain access to its back room, the tomb of the King and Queen of Hyrule. Upon approaching the King's sarcophagus, Ganondorf's spirit emerges, howling. He's ultimately a non-villainous NPC whose chance at world domination truly ended with his death. What if Ganondorf was the king, though under a false moniker tricked everyone. The Goron Patriarch was onto him, so he offered the help of his people in Ganondorf's ambition to "appease the gods" by mining and transforming central Hyrule into a vast metropolis. This of course was a coverup as Ganondorf sought a hidden power locked deep away. The Goron Patriarch is cast as the antagonist, but rightfully earned the throne to Hyrule as he killed Ganondorf. The Goddesses set in motion the eruption of Death Mountain to kill Ganondorf (as they flooded Hyrule prior to WW), but the Goron Patriarch killed him instead, having to kill Zelda's mother in the process. However, the eruption could not be prevented and the land was smoldered anyway. The Gorons who were living and working in Hyrule City (including the Patriarch) survived the eruption, digging their way to the surface after the ash piled up. Midway through the story, Link enters the Temple of Time and attempts to draw the Master Sword, snapping it in half yet activating all of the defunct technology. This enables the inhabitant Gorons to excavate the ruins of the city tenfold, revealing much more to the lost history of this land.

Edit: What if Zelda was Ganondorf's daughter? Half Hylian, half Gerudo. Imagine a Zelda with red hair, not too much a giveaway.

What if Zelda had somehow survived the centuries following the destruction? What if she had some ulterior motive? What if she was our antagonist?

Edit: ^Let me wrap my head around that one real quick lol

If no one likes the goron antagonist idea, how about we leave the Goron as a love-able, friendly Goron as always. Instead, we go straight to our main villain. The Triforce grants pretty much a wish or reflection upon the beholder's heart. However, this interpretation can be a bit vague. How about the antagonist's idea of protecting the Triforce is not hiding it away or never being used. The alternative in this person's heart is to remove the Triforce from existence so its power can never be used.

But this wish does not happen the way it would easily be intended. It attempts to destroy everything associated with it. A purging out of mind and physical manifestation and its power being used.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Good ideas but I'd like it if we vaguely implied other possibilities for the eruption while the official lore of the land remains "the Goddesses did it", I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that they never actually interact with Hyrule if they even exist

I also like the idea of the eruption being the result of a "careful what you wish for" kind of thing

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, I dig the Triforce being wished away by unprecedented means. By our era, the Triforce is gone. Whoever wished upon it brought a cataclysm to the Hyrule planned by the goddesses. The natural races have reclaimed that which once belonged to the Hylia.

← See that guy in my avatar? That's from WW concept art, an unused enemy design. I'd like if we employed many new races like him to our world. This could be the story of Hyrule's reclamation by the natural forces of the world. The village of Zelda is all that truly remains of old Hyrule, and it's suppressed underground. The Sheikah were there in the beginning, and they were there in the end to covet those seeking life.

We have to iron out our story from every angle before we decide how the story is told, by who, and in what perspective(s) throughout the game.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
spire said:
Look, I'm just gonna say this: I am not opposed to Ganon being in this, so long as we can cook up a unique way to display him. Even the slightest mention of him or anything related to him would be a dead giveaway. He would need a motive unlike any seen before. If his motive is to take over the world, then we've seen this story before.
Ganondorf as a co-protagonoist to begin the game, With him becoming enraged at what when on in the past and late in the game attaining some artifact of evil to punish the remnant of those whose foolishness destroyed his homeland?

:phone:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Ganondorf as a co-protagonoist to begin the game, With him becoming enraged at what when on in the past and late in the game attaining some artifact of evil to punish the remnant of those whose foolishness destroyed his homeland?

No, Ganondorf does not become the antagonist at all. If we want to depict Ganon, it must be in a manner never before seen. Every time he's in a game, he's the main antagonist. I really love ol' Ganny, so I drafted an alternative for his inclusion. Really, I see him as a spirit that you can talk to every time you visit his tomb in the Temple of Time. He'll scoff at you, provide bad advice, mourn for his life and that which he almost accomplished, which will reveal some more secrets about the lost history of Hyrule. He'll have a somewhat comical side, being the sad ghost of the once superbad of Hyrule.
Sorry guys but I haven't the time to keep up with this. Good luck to everyone though.
Damn :(
I'm at work, I'll comment later. But I'm definitely against Ganon.
Looking forward to your response duder!

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Spire said:
I really love ol' Ganny, so I drafted an alternative for his inclusion. Really, I see him as a spirit that you can talk to every time you visit his tomb in the Temple of Time. He'll scoff at you, provide bad advice, mourn for his life and that which he almost accomplished, which will reveal some more secrets about the lost history of Hyrule. He'll have a somewhat comical side, being the sad ghost of the once superbad of Hyrule.
!
Rofl. Maybe there is a village named after him that his spirit frequents, the last patch of desert in gerudo swamp?

etecoon

Smash Hero
If we include Ganon I like this idea, very different approach and can show his personality which I think almost everyone would agree is the best of the 3 main characters

Ganonville. Not sure how I feel about this idea...

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Maybe Ganon's spirit serves as this games navi upon reaching the overworld? He would know the terrain.

Yea that wouldnt work as a village.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Ganon as a counterpart sounds amusing, but why exactly would he help you? Trying to manipulate you maybe, but then you're forcing the player to do things that they definitely know better than because their character is ignorant, and Link is supposed to be something of a vessel to begin with. The idea of him simply mocking you and showing you disdain every time you see him makes more sense

Orboknown

Smash Hero
The part of ganon that expressed some humanity in windwaker may do it to attempt to clear whatever area of the land for the gerudo through Link,assuming defeating the final boss revokes some of the destruction.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Ganondorf's spirit as your partner? I wonder if not giving Link a partner would be more beneficial.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I would lean towards not giving Link a partner, and also towards not including Ganondorf in that kind of capacity. But I did have a funny thought. I asked "why would Ganondorf help you?". Well, what if he didn't? What if he's bound to you against his will and NEVER offers advice, he just makes fun of you and says mean things to you. He could be the anti-Fi/Navi, he leaves you alone for the most part only showing up when you horribly fail at something to rub it in in some comical way

I'd still prefer he remain in the Temple of Time or some other remote location if he's even in it though

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hahaha I'm totally down with that. Similar to the Ganon game over screen in Adventure of Link, only Ganondorf's spirit teases you in a manner akin with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Oh wait, that would require voice acting.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm all for VA in Zelda games as long as Link doesn't talk, problem is that a character like Ganondorf demands an excellent voice, like David Hayter/Logan Cunningham tier. People like that aren't common, certainly not for fan projects

Spire

III
BRoomer
I support voice acting so long as they speak in Hylian so the recordings can be universally understood. I don't want Zelda characters speaking in English. English subtitles for those of us that don't speak Hylian.

But anyways, unless you guys know some great voice actors, that's out of the question.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like that idea too, but yeah, it's not going to happen

I guess we need to decide first IF Ganondorf should be in this, and then if so in what capacity. We have a few ideas for him and there's also somewhat of a feeling that maybe we shouldn't use him, so we need to figure that out

Orboknown

Smash Hero
We still need an underworld plotted out.
Spire could you mayhaps draw out a city or even just a two-d map of the place?
That or we just wing it and start thinking things up.

Yea, ganons role might be handy.

etecoon

Smash Hero
That too, I asked before if anyone had any thoughts as to how the underworld should be but I don't think I got any responses. Should each area be a counterpart to a surface region or should the underworld be independent of those regions?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I think each group that can survive anywhere in overworld should have an area, but not viceversa.More beings surviving underground.
I dont think the areas appointed to each need to neccessarily dorrespond in size/conditions though

Spire

III
BRoomer
The underworld should be independent of the surface, connecting at points of interest. Let's start mapping out a mental underworld before drawing it. I'd like the group to idealize these subterranean regions. Just start thinking of anything feasible beneath the upper surfaces. Consider that caverns beneath Eldin Caldera will be a lot hotter; we'll probably have magmatic caverns where Dodongo and sort dwell. Ha, we could revive Dodongo's Cavern, but it would of course be in name only. This would be a whole new cave.

Then we have the home of the Cave Zoras, beneath the Fissure Falls (what was Zora's Domain). What's beneath the Maro Woods?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Skull kids?
Also,What of a Minez of Moria type area that was the gorons,but something has driven them out and they are attempting to reclaim them?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think each group that can survive anywhere in overworld should have an area, but not viceversa.More beings surviving underground.
I dont think the areas appointed to each need to neccessarily dorrespond in size/conditions though
Well lets see what we have for groups so far

Humanoids(Hylians, Sheikah, Gerudo) - Forced underground, hylians and sheikah live in the hidden village Zelda.
Zora - Forced underground, split into two warring factions
Gorons - Became the dominant species of the surface
Maro - Fungus species that overran the lost woods

I like the idea of nature reclaiming most of the surface, the Gorons are still kind of intelligent but ultimately more simple than the human and zora societies, so I think the surface would largely be ruled by animals and beasts. Maybe some animals have advanced to hunter gatherer type tribes but nothing more than that

The underworld should be independent of the surface, connecting at points of interest. Let's start mapping out a mental underworld before drawing it. I'd like the group to idealize these subterranean regions. Just start thinking of anything feasible beneath the upper surfaces. Consider that caverns beneath Eldin Caldera will be a lot hotter; we'll probably have magmatic caverns where Dodongo and sort dwell. Ha, we could revive Dodongo's Cavern, but it would of course be in name only. This would be a whole new cave.

Then we have the home of the Cave Zoras, beneath the Fissure Falls (what was Zora's Domain). What's beneath the Maro Woods?
I'm thinking

Hyrule Desert - Castle town underground, sewers, maybe a light car subway system? Prisons and torture chambers? I think we'd also mentioned that the Gorons might be mining in this area?

Maro Woods - Underground jungle. The magmatic activity has led to the underground being fertile and warm in many parts of Hyrule, here the forestry has begun growing downwards as the surface is now dominated by the Maro

Eldin Caldera - Magma chambers, I think on the outskirts of this, i.e. around where Kakariko would have been would be a good location for the Sheikah village?

Fissure Falls - Water caverns, new home of the Zora

Lake Hylia - Still aren't 100% sure what we're doing with this on the surface...maybe the other faction of Zora has moved into the remains of the water temple, causing the rift because the remaining Zora consider it an act of blasphemy?

Gerudo Swamp - Ice grotto, being one of the further regions from the Eldin magma chambers this is a fairly cold area, moisture from the swamp seeps into the earth and creates a frozen labyrinth, new home to the Gerudo. Maybe being deep beneath the surface, relics of Lanayru Sand Sea that were buried by the sands could still be frozen into the caverns

Snowpeak
Great Hyrule Canyon - I blanked on both of these for now, Snowpeak would be obvious but it is redundant with my idea for Gerudo swamp

Also would like to work the names Faron and Lanayru in here somewhere, things named Lanayru tend to be amazing for some reason. Though Eldin Caldera being the only reference makes sense too, this is a Hyrule brutally transformed by the raw power of nature, human virtues like courage and wisdom are gone

An expansion on the subway idea: Hyrule railroad. When you first explore it it's derelict and dysfunctional, a hazy stretch of tunnels the connects various parts of the land, each region would have multiple stations where they intersect with it. When you get the Master Sword hilt, you're able to use the rails and can use this as the method of quick travel, instantly transporting you from station to station

Top Bottom