• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, I'd like to contribute a rough idea:
I think there should be 7 playable characters, Link, Zelda/Original Species a Stalfos, a Deku Scrub/Original Species, a Zora, a Goron, and a Sheikah

I think that it'd be interesting if there was a cataclysmic meeting of 6 different dimensions, including Hyrule, Termina, the Twilight Realm, and the mirror from link to the past.This meeting of dimensions is somehow detrimental, and the characters have to find a way to diconnect or stabilize them (3rd Alternate Timeline??? ).Hyrule would be like the hub world with it's own dungeon, but the other dimensions would function like big dungeons in a way. Each character would be helping independantly, without knowledge of the others, until a climactic union, orchestrated by the golden godesses around 3/4s of the way in, at which point they unite to defeat the main antagonist in the mirror realm. I think it'd be an epic game.
Regardless of the direction we go with this, I'd like to contribute if that's OK.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Sorry for not posting in awhile,stuffs to do.-.
Guys, don't think about making this into a game. Think about what makes a game without being a game itself. The art, the writing, the characters, places, ideas. All of that. Dungeons & Dragons isn't a game until it's played, but all of the manuals provide you with so many resources. We're basically creating all the resources necessary to assemble a specific Zelda game.

Let's not focus on programming at all until we've gotten a cohesive production completed.
I completely agree with this.

I imagine at some point Link ventures deep into a command center within the ruins of Hyrule Castle (or whatever stands in its place) and actually manages to activate some of the tech sprawling for miles in radiant directions. From the center, great transportational devices are activated, bringing back to life a rickety functionality to the derelict world. The Gorons inhabiting the ruins are awed, and soon enough begin using the railways to expedite their own mining of the land (as they had been attempting). I forgot to mention, but there exists a strong Goron society in these ruins; a populace rivaling that of Twilight Princess's Hyrule Castle Town. After Link activates the remaining power, the Gorons seemingly find a new reason for habitation in this area and instantly enter an accelerated phase of work that yields quick excavation (going back to my Pompeii statement).

I guess if you want to read this in a fate-driven manner, you could say that Link's emergence at this particular time aligns with the Goron relocation to central Hyrule, as the two must work together to unearth the secrets of the lost civilization. Link activates the technology and the Gorons use it to excavate. How Link activates it will probably be contingent on something only he could do. Perhaps the Master Sword has something to do with it after all. Maybe the Temple of Time is revealed to be a source of infinite energy as it supposedly connects to the Sacred Realm, a place of infinite possibility. Maybe the Master Sword is simply an activation key for this "temple". Maybe the temple once served religious purposes but has now assumed a technological role. Maybe religion and technology are one in the same.
The Master Sword being merely an activation for or focus of the "magitech"? Couldn't the master sword itself focus this power and use it to accomplish various tasks? For example, Using the master sword as a focus point to release the energy in a beam(like the fierce diety's laser slashes) to mine/carve out different materials/structures?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I like the idea of an underworld but don't like the idea of specifying it's dimensions as of yet, vertical vs horizontal has gameplay implications so no sense locking that in just in case of the highly unlikely event that we actually make a game.

After reading the rest of your idea, I also don't see how this makes sense. Hyrule was once a surface kingdom existing primarily in the horizontal plane, how does it all get compressed into a vertical shaft(without completely breaking everything)?
The surface is horizontal, enabling you to travel vast tracks of land a la Twilight Princess. Remember the underground Zora's River portions of TP? Those took place in high vaulted cavernous tunnels, dressed with Bulblin scaffolding and all. I thought that was the single greatest part of the game world, and yet you could not freely explore it. I want to take that idea and make it so much more, an entire world worth exploring just as its sister above ground. Hyrule has always had an underground element, be it random caves, dungeons, or larger segments like the aforementioned TP Zora's River. But never has the underground been an 'overworld' per say. In this case, it would be equal in size to the actual overworld, serving as an underworld. Two fully realized, explorable Hyrules in one game? The Sky in SS failed to do that.

This is more or less the original LoZ scenario, it's not a desert but Hyrule is pretty much a wilderness where civilization is almost entirely wiped out. I like it in part but dunno about the entirety of Hyrule being a desert, you can only stare at sand for so long before it gets boring. I tend to like desert areas in games too, just the lack of variety gives me pause about an entire game taking place in one.

I'm liking this post apocalyptic vision of Hyrule a lot. Ash covered...templepunk all the way!
Consider for a moment the variety in desert. What constitutes a desert? Not necessarily sand everywhere (though that's what I had in mind initially). A tundra is a desert. A wasteland (such as a razed forest) could be considered a type of desert. Going back to the scenario LoZ provided, I'd like to see surface Hyrule stripped of the life it had been building up. This is an age where new formations are taking over. The Gorons have replaced the other races, as they're fit to live in harsh desert environments. Let's think about what each individual region of Hyrule could become:
  • Hyrule Field → Hyrule Desert (comprised of sand and gleaming templepunk architecture; a merge of Hyrule Castle with Hyrule Field essentially)
  • Lost Woods → Maro Woods (bare, petrified forest; trees are bleached and skeletal, the new fungus species Maro have taken over)
  • Death Mountain → Eldin Caldera (a colossal crater with bubbling hot springs, gas vents, etc. sparse vegetation actually)
  • Zora's Domain → Fissure Falls (what once held water has collapsed into a massive entrance to the Hyrule Underground with waterfalls pouring into the darkness)
  • Zora's River → Great Hyrule Canyon (Zora's River ran throughout the land and because it is all but functional now, it has become a vast network of canyons that differ in mineral composition throughout the land; grey in the north, oxidized in the west, etc.)
  • Lake Hylia → Rather than making this Hylia Canyon, perhaps some retained water could provide a small paradise of sorts.
  • Gerudo Desert → Gerudo Desert? What else could happen here?
  • Snowpeak Mountains → They're still high enough, snow could remain.
  • New regions → Swamp south of Gerudo Desert? The land west of Gerudo Desert where the king and his people fled (I know, I mentioned it was east before).
  • The Hyrule Underground → will house as many 'regions' as the surface world. We can get wildly creative with this.
This is great but I thought Link was already living underground? For that matter if this is ages after Hyrule's demise it doesn't really make sense for the Sheikah to still be around?

I've been dreaming of SpiderLink for a long time, double clawshot that works on almost any surface = win. SS also gave us a hint at a more athletic Link which was nice but it can be taken even further and not restricted via a stamina meter
The Sheikah are still around because Hyrule isn't completely dead. Consider for a moment that people still live in this land, above and below it. There is still a threat, which is why Link was reborn and why the Sheikah remain. Only now they are directly raising Link because there's no alternative.

And yeah, I totally want a more athletic Link after playing SS.
I like a lot of your ideas but I LOVE this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTvaxVySlE

Fungus is too fascinating

I like this, much like how the sages are north Hyrule towns. A village is named for Zelda and over time it's origin is lost
I could imagine that type of music playing in the Maro Woods actually :bee:

And yeah, this setting would make you miss Princess Zelda. She's not alive, but you live in a village named after her. The name is present from the beginning of the game, but throughout the course of the story, you never find her. It could invoke a longing for our beloved princess.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Spire said:
The surface is horizontal, enabling you to travel vast tracks of land a la Twilight Princess. Remember the underground Zora's River portions of TP? Those took place in high vaulted cavernous tunnels, dressed with Bulblin scaffolding and all. I thought that was the single greatest part of the game world, and yet you could not freely explore it. I want to take that idea and make it so much more, an entire world worth exploring just as its sister above ground. Hyrule has always had an underground element, be it random caves, dungeons, or larger segments like the aforementioned TP Zora's River. But never has the underground been an 'overworld' per say. In this case, it would be equal in size to the actual overworld, serving as an underworld. Two fully realized, explorable Hyrules in one game? The Sky in SS failed to do that.
That would be amazing. imagine some of the items you could think up just to deal with underground elements? the same would go for creating a full underwater "world"

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sorry for not posting in awhile,stuffs to do.-.I completely agree with this.

The Master Sword being merely an activation for or focus of the "magitech"? Couldn't the master sword itself focus this power and use it to accomplish various tasks? For example, Using the master sword as a focus point to release the energy in a beam(like the fierce diety's laser slashes) to mine/carve out different materials/structures?
Hmm. Perhaps you use the Master Sword after all, but not as a sword. Perhaps upon breaking the blade, the hilted half becomes... wait a minute, I just remembered a piece of concept art I made: http://spire-iii.deviantart.com/art/Future-Link-Design-243645543
[collapse=Art]
[/collapse]
That is Link, wearing some futuristic suit with a prominent visor. He uses a broken Master Sword as a dagger-like item. His armored leggings are based on the Pegasus Boots/Hover Boots, hence the winged ankles. Wow, I totally forgot about this until just now. The idea behind these leggings enable Link to scale vertical environments easily, giving him a nice boost as he runs straight up walls for stinted periods. Wait a minute, I just reread the description I gave the piece:

To tie in with my previous "Archyrule", a depiction of Hyrule in the future, here is Link garbed in the Mirror Tunic, a piece of modern high-end technology created by a Sheikah scientist that grants the user the ability to understand all foreign text when looking through the two-way mirror screen.

Also featured is a futuristic take on the Pegasus Boots and the remains of the fabled Master Sword.

So there you have it!
That would be amazing. imagine some of the items you could think up just to deal with underground elements? the same would go for creating a full underwater "world"
Yeah! Navigating such a different terrain would necessitate new inventory. I just saw that Problem2 quoted a piece of concept art I made, a piece entitled Archyrule as mentioned in the description of that last drawing:
We could have Link exist in a futuristc world with cell phones and cars and tall skyscrapers, and then contrast it with a parallel world that resembles a very classical Hyrule.
I must thank you Problem2 for referencing that piece. It means a lot to me when my work impacts people. Also, notice how Link is wearing those futuristic Pegasus Boots in this drawing as well. They'd be used to navigate the greatly vertical terrain of this cityscape.

Maybe the "templepunk" Hyrule could have been more futuristic like this drawing?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Hmm. Perhaps you use the Master Sword after all, but not as a sword. Perhaps upon breaking the blade, the hilted half becomes
And the breaking of the master sword releases the energy that kickstarts the ancient machinery you mentioned earlier?
... wait a minute, I just remembered a piece of concept art I made: http://spire-iii.deviantart.com/art/Future-Link-Design-243645543
[collapse=Art]
[/collapse]
That is Link, wearing some futuristic suit with a prominent visor. He uses a broken Master Sword as a dagger-like item. His armored leggings are based on the Pegasus Boots/Hover Boots, hence the winged ankles. Wow, I totally forgot about this until just now. The idea behind these leggings enable Link to scale vertical environments easily, giving him a nice boost as he runs straight up walls for stinted periods. Wait a minute, I just reread the description I gave the piece:

To tie in with my previous "Archyrule", a depiction of Hyrule in the future, here is Link garbed in the Mirror Tunic, a piece of modern high-end technology created by a Sheikah scientist that grants the user the ability to understand all foreign text when looking through the two-way mirror screen.

Also featured is a futuristic take on the Pegasus Boots and the remains of the fabled Master Sword.

So there you have it!
that link as the main character..BAWS
Yeah! Navigating such a different terrain would necessitate new inventory. I just saw that Problem2 quoted a piece of concept art I made, a piece entitled Archyrule as mentioned in the description of that last drawing:

I must thank you Problem2 for referencing that piece. It means a lot to me when my work impacts people. Also, notice how Link is wearing those futuristic Pegasus Boots in this drawing as well. They'd be used to navigate the greatly vertical terrain of this cityscape.

Maybe the "templepunk" Hyrule could have been more futuristic like this drawing?
hmm..Link the hero of time returning for a foray into the future,weilding advanced technology that lets him explore older hyrule as never before,finding previously unknown regions/peoples/items?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Brosuke asked me to write up the following ideas. All credit goes to him!

- Breaking the Master Sword reactivates the technology, but disables the use of it as a weapon entirely. You were tasked with retrieving it by the Sheikah of your tribe, but only deliver half a sword. They spend the bulk of the game repairing it. At the end of the story, they've finally fixed it, so you get to use it for the last dungeon/boss, as well as exploring the leftover world however you want. The point is not to make this a story where Link obtains the sword halfway through.

- The shield you use is magic-based, the same spell Impa used to protect Zelda at the Temple of Time in Skyward Sword. Because this Link is much more agile, carrying around a hefty shield would be detrimental. Having a limited-use spell shield would be much more appropriate given his background.

- Factions! A specific example is Geozard vs. Cave Zora. The Zora we know and love have become the Cave Zora, living in a basin beneath what was Zora's Domain. The Geozards are those ****** Zoras from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks:

They inhabit what was Zora's River (now the Great Hyrule Canyon).

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Brosuke asked me to write up the following ideas. All credit goes to him!

- Breaking the Master Sword reactivates the technology,
glad to see brosuke and i are on the same page XD
but disables the use of it as a weapon entirely. You were tasked with retrieving it by the Sheikah of your tribe, but only deliver half a sword. They spend the bulk of the game repairing it. At the end of the story, they've finally fixed it, so you get to use it for the last dungeon/boss, as well as exploring the leftover world however you want. The point is not to make this a story where Link obtains the sword halfway through.
Understandable. so if the sheikah are in possession of the blade,what is your weapon?
You were tasked with retrieving it by the Sheikah of your tribe, but only deliver half a sword.
Implying your character is a member of the sheikah? so we get to fill in some of the sheikahs storyline?
- The shield you use is magic-based, the same spell Impa used to protect Zelda at the Temple of Time in Skyward Sword. Because this Link is much more agile, carrying around a hefty shield would be detrimental. Having a limited-use spell shield would be much more appropriate given his background.
Limited use or the spell lasts X seconds and then the spell must recharge before further use?
- Factions! A specific example is Geozard vs. Cave Zora. The Zora we know and love have become the Cave Zora, living in a basin beneath what was Zora's Domain. The Geozards are those ****** Zoras from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks:

That would be cool.Faction wars where you can choose to help one side or the other?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Sup Orb ;)

As for weapon, I suggest that if we have a Sheikah-Link (really attracted to the idea) we'd best make him an acrobat. A real agile lil guy. That would mean daggers. I also suggested this:
Skyward Ramses 7:55 pm
man sheikah link sounds so legit
i can imagine him having like
some mini crossbow on the back of his hand/arm
agile, quick shooting
stuff like that
Stuff like that attracts me. Then just imagine Link running around in something reminiscent of the Zora costume in TP, but with leather instead of scales.

Then there's faction wars which is really cool.

And the shield will be more customizable. Make it use a magic bar, but one that recharges really fast. Something like it runs out in 2 seconds, but refills in 5. That way you get high speed magic meter management.
Spells overall get a lot of use when you consider Sheikah-Link. He could learn sage magic, sheikah magic, royal magic etc.
Now, being somewhat of a programmer, I imagine this being close to pressing a button, then allowing you to draw shapes with your mouse. For example, a square would summon a shield, a fire would do something akin to Din's Fire in OoT etcetera.

With a desert overworld, you'd also have bloodthirsty opponents. It's a fight for survival in the desert every. single. day.
Skyward Ramses 9:42 pm
rightey ^_^
but yeah it has so much potential a sheikah-link
damn
and introducing the game could be so legit
start with sheikah having a ****ed up experiment
and you have to control the monster that runs rampant
bongo-bongo style

masquedumajora 9:43 pm
awww yeeah
dude
with the Hyrule Underground
all kinds of crazy **** is possible
I want it to be more or less a cesspool of the esoteric, the dark, and the bizarre.
Whilst the surface is more traditionally Zelda. But HAW HAW NO GRASS.

Skyward Ramses 9:44 pm
just imagine the moblins having more of a Golum-like figure
and just jumping at you when they see you
holding you, re-dead style
ugh so scary

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Sup Orb ;)

As for weapon, I suggest that if we have a Sheikah-Link (really attracted to the idea) we'd best make him an acrobat. A real agile lil guy. That would mean daggers. I also suggested this:
(quote)
Stuff like that attracts me. Then just imagine Link running around in something reminiscent of the Zora costume in TP, but with leather instead of scales.
I totally approve. Hm...new overworld possibilities means new powers for the clothing may be needed.
Then there's faction wars which is really cool.
Indeed.
And the shield will be more customizable. Make it use a magic bar, but one that recharges really fast. Something like it runs out in 2 seconds, but refills in 5. That way you get high speed magic meter management.
Spells overall get a lot of use when you consider Sheikah-Link. He could learn sage magic, sheikah magic, royal magic etc.
That makes sense.
Now, being somewhat of a programmer, I imagine this being close to pressing a button, then allowing you to draw shapes with your mouse. For example, a square would summon a shield, a fire would do something akin to Din's Fire in OoT etcetera.
Have to draw the shape in X seconds? does a prompt for what you are trying to do show up? or does a dropdown menu show up when you press the button?
With a desert overworld, you'd also have bloodthirsty opponents. It's a fight for survival in the desert every. single. day.
Indeed. Not to mention possible underground/underwater overworlds.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Imagine this

I press X
The screen goes slightly grey
Now you can draw with the mouse
If a line is closed and a shape is recognized, spell
If a line is open, stop
If X is pressed again, stop

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, you and Brosuke had the right idea about the Master Sword.

I'm not sure what the main weapon will be. Obviously if you obtain the Master Sword at the end, that would imply swordplay throughout the rest of the game. If you have a spellshield, could you also have a spellsword? A shield and sword summonable through Sheikah magic? No no, that wouldn't work.

An idea though! What if the "Sheikah" aren't the ancient fabled race, but rather a way of life? What if this "Sheikah" tribe is comprised of people of many races, the refugees of Hyrule. Led by maybe a few actual Sheikah, the people of the Village Zelda grow up learning the ancient arts of the Sheikah, but by blood are Human, Hylian, Gerudo, Goron, and Zora alike, as well as any other new races we may create. These people are raised Sheikah, whatever that name means in this future age.

Also, Link's gotta wear a scarf-cloak thing that covers his mouth and hangs over his back, ragged, tattered, and adorned with the Sheikah Eye Symbol.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Skyward Ramses 10:13 pm
no but really, just imagine something inbetween SS graphics and ZeldaWiiU graphics
and then you jump through the cracks, land in Zelda
and take off the scarf, covering your mouth from the sandy winds
and you see link smiling
and all the kids running towards him
would make for a great cutscene

masquedumajora 10:14 pm
:D
so he wears a scarf!
makes a lot of sense

Skyward Ramses 10:14 pm
it would make sense

masquedumajora 10:14 pm
considering he doesn't talk

Skyward Ramses 10:14 pm
imagine zora costume
with some scarf
you wouldnt see a lot of link
but every time he's in the underground
he would dress more casually

masquedumajora 10:15 pm
so he literally changes parts of his costume every time he travels to and from the two worlds
small things
like removing the scarf
oh man
he's gotta wear a scarf-cloak thing
a ragged cloth

Skyward Ramses 10:15 pm
TOTALLY

masquedumajora 10:15 pm
with the Sheikah eye symbol on it :D

Skyward Ramses 10:15 pm
duuuude
goosebumps
that'd be so legit
http://www.feplanet.net/media/sprites/7/battle/sheets/ally/matthew_assassin_sword.gif
scarfcloak like that
with a dagger or daggers
Man I'm just throwing ideas out here.

Spire also had an amazing idea where the entire overworld would be covered with peahats. This would give a definitive tension. Occasionally, a peahat drops down to take a swing at your life, besides that, they can be used to travel later on.

Just imagine being this rogue-assassin like guy who gets all sorts of equipment and then gets tasked to find something on a deserted overworld.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Imagine this

I press X
The screen goes slightly grey
Now you can draw with the mouse
If a line is closed and a shape is recognized, spell
If a line is open, stop
If X is pressed again, stop
alright. thanks for clearing that up.
Yeah, you and Brosuke had the right idea about the Master Sword.

I'm not sure what the main weapon will be. Obviously if you obtain the Master Sword at the end, that would imply swordplay throughout the rest of the game. If you have a spellshield, could you also have a spellsword? A shield and sword summonable through Sheikah magic? No no, that wouldn't work.
Not necessarily. You could have a few branches of weaponry to potentially choose from. then the master sword is reforged depending on what branch you chose to "major" in.
An idea though! What if the "Sheikah" aren't the ancient fabled race, but rather a way of life? What if this "Sheikah" tribe is comprised of people of many races, the refugees of Hyrule. Led by maybe a few actual Sheikah, the people of the Village Zelda grow up learning the ancient arts of the Sheikah, but by blood are Human, Hylian, Gerudo, Goron, and Zora alike, as well as any other new races we may create. These people are raised Sheikah, whatever that name means in this future age.

Also, Link's gotta wear a scarf-cloak thing that covers his mouth and hangs over his back, ragged, tattered, and adorned with the Sheikah Eye Symbol.
Soo the sheikah are actually a cult of sorts, a way of life more than a distinct people?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not necessarily. You could have a few branches of weaponry to potentially choose from. then the master sword is reforged depending on what branch you chose to "major" in.
I don't know dude. If you make branches and give the player options, you are turning this into a RPG more than an adventure game. I'm personally not too much of a fan of that, we already have Skyrim for that kinda stuff.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
true.
forget i said that then.
Maybe something like the Gorons knife or something, or the daggers Brosuke mentioned*(love the armbow thing)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Just popping in to let you guys know that I am reading all of this lol. Sounds like great stuff so far. Keep thowing out ideas, we don't need to make any decisions for a while.

Also, I'm more interested in the characters than the plot, so I'm all for leaving that aspect to someone else.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Great ideas going on, won't be able to respond in full until tomorrow but one thing I wanted to ask Spire, if the horizontal plane is mostly traversed on the above world but the underworld also still has those expanses, is the underworld like a series of segregated areas like in SS?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
The way spire said it i thought the underground would be a whole thing of its own.Like using hyrule field in oot, and all places are connected to there

:phone:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well, the underground is mostly vertical. I can see that happening with the villages being built vertically, and the caverns and all the like being horizontal.

Imagine the wall running aspect of SS, but amplified with the Pegasus Boots, allowing you to run longer distances up a wall. (still limited though)
This way, a vertical city would still be easily explorable. Just imagine the city with a spiraling path upwards, and homes carved into the walls.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like this. A lot of Zelda games have dual world mechanics but essentially I don't think any of them were significant since LTTP, OoT is just the same world in two time periods, WW doesn't show you much of the drowned Hyrule, twilight realm is just lighting changes really and is a temporary alteration of the world not a separate place that exists at the same time.

Interestingly I believe I see LoZ's dungeon music called "underworld" most frequently, I shall have to reference this

Consider for a moment the variety in desert. What constitutes a desert? Not necessarily sand everywhere (though that's what I had in mind initially). A tundra is a desert. A wasteland (such as a razed forest) could be considered a type of desert.
True, I was thinking more in the strict typical use of the word, there are many kinds of wasteland that can be used.

Going back to the scenario LoZ provided, I'd like to see surface Hyrule stripped of the life it had been building up. This is an age where new formations are taking over. The Gorons have replaced the other races, as they're fit to live in harsh desert environments.
Understatement, there's creatures that can survive on little water and food and then there's creatures that can survive on...rocks. They're like the anti-Zora in that the Zora keep evolving to better fit the current environment where the Gorons just stay the same and survive everything(except Volvagia in the Din/ToP split...)

Let's think about what each individual region of Hyrule could become:
  • Hyrule Field → Hyrule Desert (comprised of sand and gleaming templepunk architecture; a merge of Hyrule Castle with Hyrule Field essentially)
  • Lost Woods → Maro Woods (bare, petrified forest; trees are bleached and skeletal, the new fungus species Maro have taken over)
  • Death Mountain → Eldin Caldera (a colossal crater with bubbling hot springs, gas vents, etc. sparse vegetation actually)
  • Zora's Domain → Fissure Falls (what once held water has collapsed into a massive entrance to the Hyrule Underground with waterfalls pouring into the darkness)
  • Zora's River → Great Hyrule Canyon (Zora's River ran throughout the land and because it is all but functional now, it has become a vast network of canyons that differ in mineral composition throughout the land; grey in the north, oxidized in the west, etc.)
  • Lake Hylia → Rather than making this Hylia Canyon, perhaps some retained water could provide a small paradise of sorts.
  • Gerudo Desert → Gerudo Desert? What else could happen here?
  • Snowpeak Mountains → They're still high enough, snow could remain.
  • New regions → Swamp south of Gerudo Desert? The land west of Gerudo Desert where the king and his people fled (I know, I mentioned it was east before).
  • The Hyrule Underground → will house as many 'regions' as the surface world. We can get wildly creative with this.
I like most of these, what if Gerudo Desert itself became a swamp? Dunno what kind of explanation you could use, maybe there was some kind of perfect storm in the climate as a result of the eruption that causes an eternal raincloud to form over the desert that simultaneously deprives most of the rest of Hyrule of water? Don't think I agree with Lake Hylia being an oasis but I also don't really have any better ideas for it, idk

I could imagine that type of music playing in the Maro Woods actually :bee:
Heh, I wasn't actually thinking of the music when I posted that but I like how many different directions these concepts lend themselves to. Kind of reminds me more of LTTP, LA, or even Forest of Illusion from SMW, I feel like the woods got a lot less weird with OoT for Nintendo...

We're bringing the weird back

And yeah, this setting would make you miss Princess Zelda. She's not alive, but you live in a village named after her. The name is present from the beginning of the game, but throughout the course of the story, you never find her. It could invoke a longing for our beloved princess.
I love this idea but with the exception that this is never made an issue in game, I like the idea of the player being aware of this piece of history even as it slides into complete obscurity in the actual game world

Hmm. Perhaps you use the Master Sword after all, but not as a sword. Perhaps upon breaking the blade, the hilted half becomes...
That is Link, wearing some futuristic suit with a prominent visor. He uses a broken Master Sword as a dagger-like item. His armored leggings are based on the Pegasus Boots/Hover Boots, hence the winged ankles. Wow, I totally forgot about this until just now. The idea behind these leggings enable Link to scale vertical environments easily, giving him a nice boost as he runs straight up walls for stinted periods.

Personally I like the idea of the Master Sword being in the game but never actually being a weapon, ever. It'd be neat if it had some other function like controlling technology or as a key to sacred areas or something

As far as being a weapon, not only does it feel played out within the series, more than ever recently since at least you had more upgrades after in LTTP and OoT, but it also doesn't mesh with our Link design. We also haven't defined the threat to the world at all, maybe "the blade of evils bane" isn't even what's required.

I like the idea of there being a lot of text in the ruins of Hyrule that you can't read until like halfway through the game or later(maybe even on replay like WW)

Zelda Maridia

DO

WANT

I like this. My other idea would've been for him to use a small shield mounted on his forearm but this is even better. Fast agile Link that use a lot of magic? Very fun

I like this but other than the Zora's and maybe some humans(whatever few are left) I'm not sure where this would go. The Gerudo are most likely extinct by this point in both of the relevant timelines and the Goron's are so chill it's hard to imagine them being at war with each other...and they should be the one race set up to prosper in this environment to begin with

Understandable. so if the sheikah are in possession of the blade,what is your weapon?
From what we've seen of the Sheikah thus far I would say

Daggers
Throwing knives
Shurikens
Claws(think Wolverine)
Whips

Would be good candidates. Sheikah seem to favor speed, agility, and stealth over brute force so things like a long sword would be out

I also suggested this:

man sheikah link sounds so legit
i can imagine him having like
some mini crossbow on the back of his hand/arm
agile, quick shooting
stuff like that
Mini wrist crossbow sounds pretty awesome, there was a weapon like that in Perfect Dark :)

I like the recharging magic meter especially given other spells also likely to be used, some of these could also deal with mobility as well as offensive and defensive capabilities, it's another way to approach the transportation challenges of an underworld

I could see this for some things but I really disagree with this being a method of shielding or anything else like that where you want a quick reaction, drawing a shape is too slow and deliberate for a lot of inputs IMO. But at the same time I think a slow shield reinforces the concept of an agile Link, it encourages dodging and outmaneuvering enemies instead of just standing with them blocking and hitting, so I'm not 100% sure what I think about this

I don't know dude. If you make branches and give the player options, you are turning this into a RPG more than an adventure game. I'm personally not too much of a fan of that, we already have Skyrim for that kinda stuff.
True but I think SS did a great job of incorporating some RPG elements without it being overbearing and making the game a standard RPG grindfest, it can work and the idea of the MS taking on other forms is kinda neat. Giving you a little customization of your character is far from TES territory where you really sacrifice the main story to instead let people run free in the world, this is just a few forks in the rail not completely tearing up the tracks.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
etecoon said:
Personally I like the idea of the Master Sword being in the game but never actually being a weapon, ever. It'd be neat if it had some other function like controlling technology or as a key to sacred areas or something
The master sword as an activator of sorts but not an actual weapon is intruiging. Perhaps the blade is needed to access new worlds?
As for my reforge the blade thing, maybe you can merely have different types of blades for however the user plays? Ex-a katana like MS for a faster spell crafting link, the usualsword for a more balanced link, and maybe a two handed broadsword for people who want to tank?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Honestly just having the faction war being between two forms of Zora is fine enough. The Zora are a proud race after all, and should part of the faction go rogue, they will surely not see the end of it. With the water gone, it will probably be a struggle for survival too.

You could use the magic bar to create all kinds of restrictions. Make the arrows of the mini-crossbow magically generated, and cost the half of the magic bar. Stuff like that.

Also, Spire was thinking Red would be the best color for Link, and I agree. Most Sheikah thus far have worn Red, except the ones from OoT. I'd just like to refer back to the sprites I linked earlier.

I do like using the MS as a weapon, but having the Sheikah repair it for the bulk of the story and then you using it just for the last dungeon make a lot of sense. Normally, you get the sword halfway (like I said before), and the enemies are pretty much just the same. Now, imagine losing to the 'big bad' here pretty decently, you can't even put a dent on him. Then the Sheikah finally repair what was left of the Master Sword, and you go into the final dungeon. Suddenly, you can actually hit the big boss. The Master Sword FINALLY lives up to its name.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Red works well.Hmm
Will their be alt uniforms link/main character can use for different tasks?
yea one clan war seems like that gives us enough.
Sidequest ideas?
brosuke said:
I do like using the MS as a weapon, but having the Sheikah repair it for the bulk of the story and then you using it just for the last dungeon make a lot of sense. Normally, you get the sword halfway (like I said before), and the enemies are pretty much just the same. Now, imagine losing to the 'big bad' here pretty decently, you can't even put a dent on him. Then the Sheikah finally repair what was left of the Master Sword, and you go into the final dungeon. Suddenly, you can actually hit the big boss. The Master Sword FINALLY lives up to its name.
This makes sense.I approve.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like red, it also corroborates how unusual this Link is where Nintendo has gradually really restricted the use of other tunics to drive home the "LINK = GREEN" point over time

Magic arrows are cool, a lot of times I skip using projectiles because I don't like the idea of running out of ammo, rechargeable magic meter also solves this

Sidequests would really be dependent on the NPCs IMO, maybe we could also plan a few optional items or something but that seems like something to be thought of later

I still really disagree with the MS being used, it's just gotten really trite and I hate how Nintendo rams it down our throats every game when the original LoZ didn't even feature it and it wasn't the final weapon in OoT or LTTP. It also carries a connection to Demise/Ganondorf as it hasn't been used against any other villain as I recall. But we'll see what everyone else thinks, I do kind of like the idea of it being reforged in the form of whatever weapon class you've predominantly used to that point

As far as factions, we'd probably also create a race or two I'd think for the underworld...

Orboknown

Smash Hero
etecoon said:
Sidequests would really be dependent on the NPCs IMO, maybe we could also plan a few optional items or something but that seems like something to be thought of later
True.Though aiding one side or another in a faction war could be a sidequest if it does not directly affect the main plot.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Faction wars should always be sidequests.

Weapon classes I dunno man, Link has always been a guy who pretty much wields everything, so yeah. I like the idea of Katana's, but daggers are still personally preferred to me.

The idea of Sheikah being a lifestyle more than a tribe really appeals to me too. Would make it all more livelier.

And I also still like the idea of small costume changes depending on where he is. The scarfcape for overworld, have him take it off in the underworld. Stuff like that.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Sheikah being a lifestyle would enable us to have non-(presumably)hylian sheikah.goron/zoran/gerudo sheikah would be interesting.
Also,i think spire mentioned the ancient machinery being power by energy from the sacred realm? that implys there was an open connection, but now that connection has been broken,implying major event?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Goron Sheikah would be weird.
I can see Mogma Sheikah, Gerudo Sheikah, Zora Sheikah, Hylian Sheikah, Kokiri Sheikah and even just Sheikah-Sheikah (yes, they can be considered a seperate race).

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well they could be a race, and during the apocalypse they teached other races their ways, transforming it into a style.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
This is true.
If we are going to be splitting time betwenn over-and underworld, there are going to need to be map points to switch between the two.
Also,will we be limited to hyrule proper or can we get into termina and other potential border realms(maybe undiscovered up to this point and the apocalypse broke natrul barriers that were sealing them apart?)

etecoon

Smash Hero
I could see Labrynna and Holodrum, Termina is really an entirely different kind of reality, I believe I read that Hyrule Historia made it official that it was another dimension...

Speaking of the sacred realm...what exactly would it be? I don't think this has ever really been cleared in the series and for that matter I think "the sacred realm" may actually refer to several different places that have changed throughout history. LTTP's manual almost seems to imply that it's Skyloft but then in the actual game it's a whole other dimension that seems linked to Hyrule in some twisted way, and also shows no signs of being a sky realm. The green lights of the siren realm in SS remind me a bit of the end of LTTP when you meet the essence of the triforce but that may actually be more of an internal thing than another world...TP shows that the temple of time itself is a time vessel so it could be that the triforce resides in a different era rather than a different world, so many different ways you can go with it

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Hm.
the sacred realm being a different world completely, locked in a timeless "bubble"?
is it the sacred realm you quasi see during the oot cutscene when you first pull out the master sword?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It was translated. The Sacred Realm is basically a reflection of yourself.

I think we should go with a world loosely based on Hyrule, and make it apocalyptic

Orboknown

Smash Hero
again though,an apocalypse could quite easily obliterate former barriers between realms and force some pieces into one supercontinent while blowing other realms into floating islands.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't see the connection there at all, these aren't bordering nations like Labrynna, they're entirely different dimensions. Earth has been hit with meteors, has suffered cataclysmic eruptions, floods, solar flares, and probably a lot of other things we aren't even aware of...some of these during human existence, it's never merged our reality with an entire separate one

I also think it's redundant to make an apocalyptic sacred realm in an already apocalyptic world, there's no contrast :/

Though there is fantasy precedent for that sort of thing, come to think of it another Nintendo game even. Metroid Prime 2 anyone?

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I don't see the connection there at all, these aren't bordering nations like Labrynna, they're entirely different dimensions. Earth has been hit with meteors, has suffered cataclysmic eruptions, floods, solar flares, and probably a lot of other things we aren't even aware of...some of these during human existence, it's never merged our reality with an entire separate one
True.
Yea sorry for that, need to double check stuff afore i say it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Interestingly I believe I see LoZ's dungeon music called "underworld" most frequently, I shall have to reference this
I totally forgot about that! We may have to play off this semblance.

Understatement, there's creatures that can survive on little water and food and then there's creatures that can survive on...rocks. They're like the anti-Zora in that the Zora keep evolving to better fit the current environment where the Gorons just stay the same and survive everything(except Volvagia in the Din/ToP split...)

I like most of these, what if Gerudo Desert itself became a swamp? Dunno what kind of explanation you could use, maybe there was some kind of perfect storm in the climate as a result of the eruption that causes an eternal raincloud to form over the desert that simultaneously deprives most of the rest of Hyrule of water? Don't think I agree with Lake Hylia being an oasis but I also don't really have any better ideas for it, idk
If you want to get into religious semantics, you could say that the Gorons were the new people chosen by the gods because of their nigh perfect habitation of said environment. The Hylia were once known as the people 'closest to the gods' but that status could be transfered to the Gorons given the radical environmental departure. Of course there's no proof of this godly connection, it's more or less metaphor.

Gerudo Desert as a swamp would be very acceptable. Perhaps the imbalance of water in this dried land has pushed intense storm clouds to the east, constantly circling the once-desert. The constant rain has carved away the dunes, creating a monsoon thwarted land with intense vegetation. An interesting idea, really. Hyrule proper and Gerudo Desert trade roles.

Heh, I wasn't actually thinking of the music when I posted that but I like how many different directions these concepts lend themselves to. Kind of reminds me more of LTTP, LA, or even Forest of Illusion from SMW, I feel like the woods got a lot less weird with OoT for Nintendo...

We're bringing the weird back

I love this idea but with the exception that this is never made an issue in game, I like the idea of the player being aware of this piece of history even as it slides into complete obscurity in the actual game world
The weird has got to come back. I want the Hyrule Underground to be particularly bizarre. It's the underworld to the already quirky Hyrule. I'm not fond of typical sword and sorcery elements, so embellishing all things odd will lend a fantastical edge I think we need.

And as for that second part, of course. It's just acceptable lore in this age, nothing to take hold of the story.

As far as being a weapon, not only does it feel played out within the series, more than ever recently since at least you had more upgrades after in LTTP and OoT, but it also doesn't mesh with our Link design. We also haven't defined the threat to the world at all, maybe "the blade of evils bane" isn't even what's required.

I like the idea of there being a lot of text in the ruins of Hyrule that you can't read until like halfway through the game or later(maybe even on replay like WW)

I like this. My other idea would've been for him to use a small shield mounted on his forearm but this is even better. Fast agile Link that use a lot of magic? Very fun
I think we're all on to something with the repurposing of the Master Sword. It has always been a sort of key, locking the door to the Sacred Realm and such, though that role is downplayed by its use as an actual sword. It'd be interesting to see it stripped of its sword usage altogether, becoming just an ancient key. The Master Sword appears in games starring Ganon/Demise and I'd really love if they had nothing to do with this. With that being said, we need an entirely new antagonist. No Ganon, no Majora, no Ghirahim, no Vaati, no Veran, no Onox, no Bellum, no nothing. A threat unlike any of the past villains.

I've drawn Link with Hylian Shield-styled gauntlets before, which I think is still a viable option. Between that and the Sheikah spellshield, we've a couple good candidates for defense.

I like this but other than the Zora's and maybe some humans(whatever few are left) I'm not sure where this would go. The Gerudo are most likely extinct by this point in both of the relevant timelines and the Goron's are so chill it's hard to imagine them being at war with each other...and they should be the one race set up to prosper in this environment to begin with
I'd like the Gerudo to be largely assimilated into the underground remnant culture. There may be some inhabiting the swampland that Gerudo Desert becomes as Amazonian-like women, a natural evolution of their culture.

From what we've seen of the Sheikah thus far I would say

Daggers
Throwing knives
Shurikens
Claws(think Wolverine)
Whips

Would be good candidates. Sheikah seem to favor speed, agility, and stealth over brute force so things like a long sword would be out

Mini wrist crossbow sounds pretty awesome, there was a weapon like that in Perfect Dark :)
Half of Link's inventory needs to be relative to items from the past for continuity's sake. He needs a new form of bombs (if this game is to be more stealthy, perhaps proximity-mine like bombs?), bow (mini wrist crossbow is perfect), claws (like the mole mitts, but used for climbing instead?), whip (ST and SS, it's here to stay), double hook/clawshot evolution... okay wait. I need to draw this, but maybe I can explain for the time being: on each arm, Link should have specialized gauntlets that serve different purposes, incorporating all the 'items' he finds in his quest. Since we're not developing this for the Wii, I'd like if Link was ambidextrous. What if each gauntlet could be customized with x amount of installable items? Assume that everything listed can be upgraded as well:

- Extensive Blade (juts out of the gauntlet, becomes a sword built into his arm)
- Armbow (built in crossbow; can launch bolts or bombs)
- Protective guard (shield)
- Clawshots
etc.

The master sword as an activator of sorts but not an actual weapon is intruiging. Perhaps the blade is needed to access new worlds?
As for my reforge the blade thing, maybe you can merely have different types of blades for however the user plays? Ex-a katana like MS for a faster spell crafting link, the usualsword for a more balanced link, and maybe a two handed broadsword for people who want to tank?
I'm keen on the Master Sword being used to unlock new areas, but Link cannot be carrying it around on his whole journey or else people will question why he's not using it as a sword. If the Master Sword is going to be in this tale, it must not be functional until the end of the game where even still, it may not be used as a weapon.

I like red, it also corroborates how unusual this Link is where Nintendo has gradually really restricted the use of other tunics to drive home the "LINK = GREEN" point over time

Magic arrows are cool, a lot of times I skip using projectiles because I don't like the idea of running out of ammo, rechargeable magic meter also solves this

I do kind of like the idea of it being reforged in the form of whatever weapon class you've predominantly used to that point

As far as factions, we'd probably also create a race or two I'd think for the underworld...
I want Link to wear green, but his scarfcape must be red.

Magic Arrows hmm? Incorporate those into the Armbow and you've got a semi-laser gun :bee:

The Master Sword being reforged into a customized weapon form would be really sweet. I've drawn a couple alternative forms before, namely the "Master Bow" and "Master Rapier". Not suggesting we use either, but it's still an interesting path to take the blade of evil's bane.

There will definitely be new races. We kind of already have one: the Maro. To refresh on that, the Maro are the spiritual successors to the Deku: skeletal instead of wooden, fungal instead of shrubby. Kind of a hybrid between bone and mushrooms. They inhabit the Maro Woods though, so the underground will be new. As I previously mentioned as well, I would like to revive the Geozards from PH and ST to combat the Cave Zoras—which I imagine will resemble our sleek blue Zoras but perhaps characterized with glowing eyes or other distinguishable features apart from their past renditions. Oh, and I want to expand on the ever-evolving dominant "blin" race. Rather than reusing Moblins, Bulblins, Miniblins, Bokoblins, etc. I'd like to have a flying blin race, derivative of bats. They could be related to Keese. Keeblin? Since the Hyrule Underground involves a lot of verticality, they'd fit in just perfectly.

Any other new race ideas?

The idea of Sheikah being a lifestyle more than a tribe really appeals to me too. Would make it all more livelier.

And I also still like the idea of small costume changes depending on where he is. The scarfcape for overworld, have him take it off in the underworld. Stuff like that.
Considering the Sheikah themselves should be dead by this time, having but a few actual Sheikah sharing their knowledge and culture with the remaining Hyruleans would at the very least provide a sense of kinship between people of all races, as opposed to the racism prevalent in so many other fantasy games, even as seen in the Hyrulean Civil War that preceded the events of Ocarina of Time. This is a different age altogether. The turmoil of Hyrule's past has long since been settled—a totally new kind of threat is at stake now.

And I too would prefer small costume changes over the course of the game versus entirely new outfits. I enjoy the consistency of Link's green tunic, but it will definitely stand out from all those of yore. Link will don the red Sheikah scarfcape for his overworld venturing and I'm sure we'll devise some other great costume additions.
Sheikah being a lifestyle would enable us to have non-(presumably)hylian sheikah.goron/zoran/gerudo sheikah would be interesting.
Also,i think spire mentioned the ancient machinery being power by energy from the sacred realm? that implys there was an open connection, but now that connection has been broken,implying major event?
Goron Sheikah would be weird.
I can see Mogma Sheikah, Gerudo Sheikah, Zora Sheikah, Hylian Sheikah, Kokiri Sheikah and even just Sheikah-Sheikah (yes, they can be considered a seperate race).
Different races will have different qualities. Gorons are not capable of that which Zoras are, but raised as Sheikah, they'll share a similar set of beliefs. It's the mind the binds these people.

I could see Labrynna and Holodrum, Termina is really an entirely different kind of reality, I believe I read that Hyrule Historia made it official that it was another dimension...

Speaking of the sacred realm...what exactly would it be? I don't think this has ever really been cleared in the series and for that matter I think "the sacred realm" may actually refer to several different places that have changed throughout history. LTTP's manual almost seems to imply that it's Skyloft but then in the actual game it's a whole other dimension that seems linked to Hyrule in some twisted way, and also shows no signs of being a sky realm. The green lights of the siren realm in SS remind me a bit of the end of LTTP when you meet the essence of the triforce but that may actually be more of an internal thing than another world...TP shows that the temple of time itself is a time vessel so it could be that the triforce resides in a different era rather than a different world, so many different ways you can go with it
I don't think we should venture into any other lands. In all fan projects I've seen that send Link to those bounds, I sense a lack of creativity with the potential of Hyrule. If we really want to send Link to another land we should invent one. Hyrule is the only land I feel we have the right to appropriate because of its mainstay. All other lands are one shot ventures in single games. We never revisit these foreign lands because the return is Hyrule. Since this is a fan project, I think it's crucial that we focus on Hyrule, retaining enough elements so not to alienate our audience from the land they hold so many expectations of while still exploring our own vision of this fabled country.

I don't think we've ever been allowed to see the Sacred Realm from Link's perspective because Link's is supposed to be our own. If the Sacred Realm reflects the heart of the contender, then it should reflect the ambitions and interests of the player, not Link. Hence why its only true appearance was that of Ganon's Dark World. The Sacred Realm can reflect any character in the series except Link. It would sever our connection to him. I devised the Sacred Realm as a source of empowerment for the centralized technology because I thought it'd be a nice hidden element, something only revealed by exploring all the ruins of Hyrule. More or less an easter egg than a benefactor to the story.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Half of Link's inventory needs to be relative to items from the past for continuity's sake. He needs a new form of bombs (if this game is to be more stealthy, perhaps proximity-mine like bombs?), bow (mini wrist crossbow is perfect), claws (like the mole mitts, but used for climbing instead?), whip (ST and SS, it's here to stay), double hook/clawshot evolution... okay wait. I need to draw this, but maybe I can explain for the time being: on each arm, Link should have specialized gauntlets that serve different purposes, incorporating all the 'items' he finds in his quest. Since we're not developing this for the Wii, I'd like if Link was ambidextrous. What if each gauntlet could be customized with x amount of installable items? Assume that everything listed can be upgraded as well:

- Extensive Blade (juts out of the gauntlet, becomes a sword built into his arm)
- Armbow (built in crossbow; can launch bolts or bombs)
- Protective guard (shield)
- Clawshots
etc.
This one is extremely nice. Protective gauntlets, but make them unable to block the stronger attacks and stuff. Extensive blades out of the gauntlet etc is also really really nice.

About the magic arrows, I think his gauntlets could be a magic amplifier thing. You can install several weapons, and then activate them using magic. That way, it all makes sense and you have that Sheikah feeling to it.

I like the vertical, spiraling cities personally. I think the underground should be really refugee-like. The home of the original Sheikah's. It should have something like halls just filled with caged monsters. Walking past them makes them lash at you, yet blocked by the bars.

Talking about battle system here, I think a cool thing would be some form of teleportation. You're a magical sheikah-assassin-like character after all. But to not make it overpowered, make it something like a counter. If someone swings his sword at you, you get the smallest time window to teleport behind him. The AI should be smarter about it this time though, with things like fake-outs or even teleports just being limited in other ways like, to get back at it, magic.

Enemies (read: bosses) should teleport a lot more often too, because it could make for a lot harder encounters. I remember seeing Ghirahim being able to teleport, or even Zant, and they hardly exploited it. It's such an exploitable ability.

Top Bottom