• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Video Archive/Kirby Critique thread!

Bees!

Smash Ace

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjCk2uWQ_bYAlso, probably a very amateur question... but, does Kirby have a mini little glide toss that I'm not aware of? I see Chu doing a very small little boost when he tosses a banana, here. :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-z8V8pSpnQ
Yep. Every character in the game has a glide toss, it's just that some characters slide far (like Marth/ZSS/you name it, and some others look like they don't move at all... Kirby is near the latter).

Triple R

Smash Lord
Also, probably a very amateur question... but, does Kirby have a mini little glide toss that I'm not aware of? I see Chu doing a very small little boost when he tosses a banana, here. :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-z8V8pSpnQ
I'm pretty sure those are jump cancelled throws. Glide tossing with Kirby doesn't really exist in a practical sense. Jump Cancelled throws give you what seems to be a little slide. I think it's the same thing Toon Link players do where they run away from you then turn around suddenly and chuck a bomb at you. They are using a jump cancelled throw to turn around and surprise you with a bomb chuck. Kirby can do the same thing with naners.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Also, jump-cancelled tosses are more effective than glide tosses in these situations, since you don't waste frames by raising your shield and starting a roll. Just saying.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
@kirbydabest:

I really like your use of Uair. You caught your opponent a lot with it. Conversely, I rarely saw Bair, and you use a little too much Dair. Otherwise, I felt your Kirby was pretty good. Just gotta work on spacing (who doesn't, though?) and maybe using more tilts!

Now, for a stage-specific critique: here's where your lack of Bair really hammered you. Kirby has a lot of tricks using Uair/Bair/Rock/Fsmash/Dsmash on the destroyable part of the ground. You rarely used that to your advantage. I must say, though, that your Uair spacing on the platforms was good.

And now for Marth as an MU: DON'T Dair his shield. I'm sure you noticed it while watching, but every time you did he DS'd you. Even when being hit Marth can DS through Dair, so only use it against Marth off-stage where he doesn't have that frame of invincibility when using DS.

While the Marth you fought didn't do this, don't always Uair after Fthrow; Marth can DS through it. Instead, bait him and make it a guessing game, because other Marth players will DS you. Also, don't Bair his shield, because it also resulted in a DS punish. Try to duck under his Fair and Dtilt/Grab, or simply bring your Bair out while he's bringing out his Fair - chances are you'll trade without him scoring a tipper'd Fair and the trade-off will be in your favor. You did a nice job, again, with the Uairs, and your smashes were all well-placed and netted you the kills you needed, so kudos to that.

Hope this helps you improve your Kirby!

O, and Hup Cancel more
:colorful:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
No problem! I'm always happy to help fellow Kirbies! :)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I saw the video and clicked on it, but before I watched anything, I saw the name of the uploader and immediately assumed it was a fake chu "combo" video. Ahhhh, reminds me of how much I love the character, and how people underestimate a good Kirby player...

I hope nothing gets in the way of me and Illinois' tourney. I'm gonna start attending tourneys ASAP, I'm having a HUGE Brawl withdrawal!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Watching you give IC's the **** always makes me smile, Triple R. LOL. Also, where's the HUP CANCELING?! Nair is so 2010 for a Kirby taunt.

NNID
MasterHavik
Going to a tournament in a few weeks. They are recording, so expect some match footage. I haven't played this game in a bit, but I think I'm about to my prime.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
uhm if someone could critique this vid for me id appreciate it dont let the title confuse u it is a tourney match but the person who uploaded it put friendlies by accident -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1W8eB0MCUY

all critiques are appreciated :)
All right, I'll give it a shot.

I don't have any real complaints about the way you played, though, as you definitely seemed to know what you were doing, for the most part. You followed up well with some of Kirby's follow-ups and placed some well-spaced bairs there. I would probably only advise you to work some more on your grounded/aerial strings a bit, like whenever you get in an utilt, try and follow up with another bair or an uair, or to maybe even to mix things up more, chase to wherever you feel your opponent will land and shield to grab/reverse grab or whatever you think you could get in at that moment for a finishing touch. Also, you probably could've use some more ftilting in there as well. I noticed a lot of perfect opportunities for you to have gotten in with it, spaced and all, but I don't recall you using it once (but this is just a minor criticism; you probably do use it, but I'm just sayin' I didn't see it that match). Well done overall, though. :)

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
All right, I'll give it a shot.

I don't have any real complaints about the way you played, though, as you definitely seemed to know what you were doing, for the most part. You followed up well with some of Kirby's follow-ups and placed some well-spaced bairs there. I would probably only advise you to work some more on your grounded/aerial strings a bit, like whenever you get in an utilt, try and follow up with another bair or an uair, or to maybe even to mix things up more, chase to wherever you feel your opponent will land and shield to grab/reverse grab or whatever you think you could get in at that moment for a finishing touch. Also, you probably could've use some more ftilting in there as well. I noticed a lot of perfect opportunities for you to have gotten in with it, spaced and all, but I don't recall you using it once (but this is just a minor criticism; you probably do use it, but I'm just sayin' I didn't see it that match). Well done overall, though. :)
Thanks man I appreciate the advice and ur right about my ftilting I under use it I noticed it in alot of my vids ill make sure and change that :)

:phone:

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Hi I don't post too often as you might be able to tell but would like you helpful critique on kirby. Sorry if I'm not posting in the correct way but I have three matches I would like looked into with as much depth as possible.
The set is about over amonth old or so, there are things I have already looked things I do that are pretty questionable. So pointing out anything I'm doing that is wrong feel free to point out, and offering solutions would be great too.

Loser's Semi-final Me vs C.R.Z (Fox)
match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTtReJO0w0
match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VosGCimLs0o
match 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1EQu1FRDc&feature=related

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Hi I don't post too often as you might be able to tell but would like you helpful critique on kirby. Sorry if I'm not posting in the correct way but I have three matches I would like looked into with as much depth as possible.
The set is about over amonth old or so, there are things I have already looked things I do that are pretty questionable. So pointing out anything I'm doing that is wrong feel free to point out, and offering solutions would be great too.

Loser's Semi-final Me vs C.R.Z (Fox)
match 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTtReJO0w0
match 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VosGCimLs0o
match 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1EQu1FRDc&feature=related
Wow watching this reminds me of Me vs GUARD haha. You play the MU almost like me! Something I learned over time is that spaced ftilts are your best friend vs the Spacies.

Also crouch a bit more so you don't get the occasional random damage. If you are in percentage lead, don't approach! Something I learned after playing GUARD extensively.

I also noticed in the second game you preped him many times for a dair near the ledge but you didn't jump off =(.

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
Wow watching this reminds me of Me vs GUARD haha. You play the MU almost like me! Something I learned over time is that spaced ftilts are your best friend vs the Spacies.

Also crouch a bit more so you don't get the occasional random damage. If you are in percentage lead, don't approach! Something I learned after playing GUARD extensively.

I also noticed in the second game you preped him many times for a dair near the ledge but you didn't jump off =(.
Was startin to think I would not hear from anyone, thanks for taking a look. Yeah F-tilt is pretty amazing for spacing. Yeah after watching this and then playing the match up even just against computers I started wondering why the hell I was approaching him even when I did not need to :p yeah I will keep a cool head once i do have a strong percentage lead it's just avoiding lasers and not getting read while in the air or something.

yeah I will watch that actually and see why I don't go for the dair most likely I thinking C.R.Z will retailiate with raising fair as I didn't wanna risk trying to get back on stage since dair is slow for start up. Yeah the time I spend going for grab I could crouch a little more and wait for him to come to me or walk/ short hop/ use some jumps to go towards him so he doesn't get too much damage from lasers.

Thanks for watching and hope for more input from other kirby players too

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
ee why I don't go for the dair most likely I thinking C.R.Z will retailiate with raising fair as I didn't wanna risk trying to get back on stage since dair is slow for start up.
hahah something I learned from Ally... Just go for BS things no matter what. Even if you think it wont work.. Just go ahead and try it haha. In the end, if it worked, youll get a guessing opponent and if it didnt, youll just get punished for one thing but youll still have a guessing opponent which is best.

Sorry about grammar... French keyboard =/

J.Miller

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J.Miller91
hahah something I learned from Ally... Just go for BS things no matter what. Even if you think it wont work.. Just go ahead and try it haha. In the end, if it worked, youll get a guessing opponent and if it didnt, youll just get punished for one thing but youll still have a guessing opponent which is best.

Sorry about grammar... French keyboard =/
That makes sense and I find no problems doing that in casuals. Tourny however I tense up only serious offensive based characters like (luigi) I could say yeah the risk is worth it if the kill will defnitely get over but even then I can still end up playing pretty cautious. I have a tourny coming up so gonna see what I can do in terms of risk assesment and actually taking them.

thanks for the advice. It's good to read it in writing.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
That makes sense and I find no problems doing that in casuals. Tourny however I tense up only serious offensive based characters like (luigi) I could say yeah the risk is worth it if the kill will defnitely get over but even then I can still end up playing pretty cautious. I have a tourny coming up so gonna see what I can do in terms of risk assesment and actually taking them.

thanks for the advice. It's good to read it in writing.
Yeah it happens to the best of us. Are the matches going to be uploaded to youtube? I'll like to see them =).

Top Bottom