• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Video Archive/Kirby Critique thread!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
UTilt>BAir
UTilt>UTilt
UTilt>dashPivotGrab (against aggro MK who is DI towards you)
UTilt>USmash (incorrectly DIing MK)

Triple R

Smash Lord
Wouldn't the U-Tilt have better potential for follow-ups, though?
Well it's really up to the player and opponent's % really. First you take the gamble if the utilt will come out fast enough. Players kinda have to feel this out. Secondly, if they are at 160% I'd rather bair them than utilt.

There really isn't a set standard for what you should do. I would say use your best judgment.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
LMAO in that 'first 10 sec...' video you got wrecked by suicideKlaw.

It's raw, and I'd like to see your single videos, but I like your Kirby.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I was referring to the hammer on shield to fully charged Boswer Fsmash to hammer.

Plus I still won that one anyways and that's what matters :awesome:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I know what you're refering to, and at first I was like ''aaahahhhhhh **** his Kirby is starting off right' and then you went and got rallalalaolololoalalalaped.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I know what you're refering to, and at first I was like ''aaahahhhhhh **** his Kirby is starting off right' and then you went and got rallalalaolololoalalalaped.
Lol ninja edited you. We still won :awesome: and I didn't get ***** :glare:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I mean Shaun knows how to carry scrubs so I'm not surprised, but at the beginning Bowser was like 'LAWL I'MA PUT IT IN UR BUTTSEX' and you sorta just bent over and took it.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
You can utilt OoS without shield dropping. Turn on tap jump and utilt. Dtilt is good as well if you're already facing them and they're close.
Tap jump on isn't worth for me because it limits my aerial movements. If I have it off I can move and do an aerial in any direction I want without wasting jumps. I still manage to SD though as Kirby lol going for those offstage kills :awesome:

edit : @ JoWii Lol Austin thinks im better than you sooooo yeah... we might have to settle something. :awesome:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@Gova- Austin still thinks I'm bad at the game XDDDD because I haven't seen those guys in a while. So we can MM @ Whobo if you want.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Tap jump on isn't worth for me because it limits my aerial movements. If I have it off I can move and do an aerial in any direction I want without wasting jumps. I still manage to SD though as Kirby lol going for those offstage kills :awesome:

edit : @ JoWii Lol Austin thinks im better than you sooooo yeah... we might have to settle something. :awesome:
How do you waste your jumps? I use C-Stick for aerials.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
How do you waste your jumps? I use C-Stick for aerials.
lol tap jump on makes me waste my jumps. I use the c-stick for aerials too and i use the control stick to move while performing said aerials. With tap jump on there's a chance i'll waste a jump whenever i want to do an aerial in some kind of upward direction.

Triple R

Smash Lord
You can utilt OoS without shield dropping. Turn on tap jump and utilt. Dtilt is good as well if you're already facing them and they're close.
Until I see a video where it's done or you give an explanation, I don't believe you. Tilting the control stick up will either make you aim your shield or jump.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Pressing up while in a shield and with tap jump ON will make you jump. Pressing "A" as the jump starts will make you do an usmash. There's no in-between that lets you do a jump-canceled utilt, I've never heard of that before in my Smash career. :|

Triple R

Smash Lord
Ugh, it's been awhile since I've got vids recorded, but I finally got a few from 2 weeks ago. I messed up kinda bad some of the matches and was stupid, but I do some smart things too. Always a learning experience lol.

Winners Finals Against Nappy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47bWH4NkkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFO1jxTwS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1f-unl786Y

Losers Finals Against YoshQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2h12cgiy4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hZ0uW0HnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo9MkftY-U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zY6RM0sYA

Enjoy!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I didn't have time to watch all the videos yet that you posted RRR, but they were really good. I loved the match on Rainbow Cruise - it shows how much butt Kirby can kick on that stage! And you did well against YoshQ taking him to round 5. Meta Knight is a really difficult match-up for Kirby and you showed some good moves there! ('-')d

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I have tapjump off. I turned L into jump. It's essentially the same thing. Same movement, same oos and what-have you. I like it alot actually

Edit*
It's easier for me to OoS utilt with tap jump off and L set to jump.

Fixed for correctness and minus multiquote.

Edit**
And the first post pertained to my preference on how I OoS utilt. I just made it more clear in the first edit

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm not sure why you quoted all of those. Does your comment have anything to do with a Utilt OoS discussion?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Might....I just have found another Kirby that I like watching?

If you lived in a developed scene with great players, I could easily see you being a top Kirby.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Thanks ^_^. I will have to use Kirby against better players too. Steam is legit with Lucario. But as for Snake. I will have to go Kirby more in the future.

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'd like some Kirby critique. I'm pretty sure I bair too much and end up staling it before I can kill with it, but I'm not sure what else to do. Here's the videos:

Game 1
Game 2

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Before I say anything, there is no such thing as B-airing too much for Kirby. ;) In fact, use it more. I kinda wall/punish with it and stale it to oblivion. I will say to have your back at your opponent most of the time in order to B-air at the instant you need to. It's better than F-air. Of which, if you're going to use F-air while on the ground it's best to use it right out of the short hop to avoid the landing lag. Practice it if you haven't. It doesn't leave you open to an attack, much. If anything I think you should lay off smashing too much. You don't want to use them at low percentages and stale the F-smash. Nope nope. Use your tilts instead. Plus they come out faster and have great set ups! A lot of your smashes were dodged... Hmmm... try not to use D-air a lot. It has a lot of start up and you got hit a few times out of it trying to use it. It's kinda better to just hover out of their way and find a safe place to land. Oh, I see you throw out quite a few specials... Kirby's special moves aren't a great thing to be spammed, especially the Final Cutter. It a recovery first and an attack second, always. You're lucky he never punished you for it. Be careful about using your Hammer. It's better to think ahead rather than just throwing it out hoping it hits.

One last thing, was this wifi? It says F-smash.org. I haven't been on there in a while...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
First off: Lol Green Greens...

Secondly: That Lucario is not good. By which I mean holy crap bad. It's hard to give you any advice because the opponent never even really attacked you.
The only thing that really stuck on your end from that video is that A) You need to space better, and B) mix it up a bit. You were ridiculously predictable, and a decent player would catch on and punish really fast.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I think you should probably not be playing on Green Greens.

With that said, it's hard to see how good you are when you're beating on some random 'cario. You should get a vid of yourself against a better opponent so we can more easily gauge your Kirby. It BAir'd, but the video was so short, on a janky stage, against a not-good opponent, so I can't tell if you're actually good or bad.

Just my opinion though.

Edit: Fromuna, be a doll and move this post to the vid critique thread as well?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Thanks for the advice, the Lucario is usually a bit better, since he didn't have much room to dodge roll (as he always does).

I find it kinda hard to do something out of the ordinary...
kinda because I have to get up kinda close with Kirby to land any hits.

What would be a good course of action for combating a lucario who:

dodge rolls alot
grabs alot
auraspheres alot
up smashes alot
and doesnt usualy take the fight to the air

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Finding a better brawl partner...

>_> srsly, I saw that match and cringed.

Practice SHFAir, punishing his landings, and try to practice what will work against a good Lucario, rather than what works against that specific player. Understand?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Me not having access to Wi-fi cant vs other Lucarios :(

What would a good controller set up be?

Im playing now with the defaults and tap jump on

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
First and foremost, welcome to the Kirby boards.

Secondly, I suggest going to the Mentorship thread and ask for Kappy, as he's a Kirby mentor, if you'd like to learn some of the basics, finer points, or just have someone to ask general questions. It's just a recommendation though.

Personally, I play with L as jump, tap jump off and X as grab. The L jump makes it easier to wall BAirs, or any aerials, like you seem adequate at. X as grab makes for super easy pivot grabs and tap jump off allows you to DI aerials a lot better. It's all really just up to what feels comfortable. You should try various controls to suit your playstyle.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Ya, I wouldn't suggest changing A or B to anything other than Attack and Special respectively, because those are very liberal changes and extremely unorthodox. Try X as grab or special, or y as grab, try one of your triggers as specials/jumps/attacks/grabs; those are all fairly decent changes that each have their own uses.

Btw, I'm the resident troll in the Kirby boards, but I'm giving you a freebie as I have a small affinity for Lucas players.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice, the Lucario is usually a bit better, since he didn't have much room to dodge roll (as he always does).

I find it kinda hard to do something out of the ordinary...
kinda because I have to get up kinda close with Kirby to land any hits.

What would be a good course of action for combating a lucario who:

dodge rolls alot
grabs alot
auraspheres alot
up smashes alot
and doesnt usualy take the fight to the air

Lucario is my old main. To stop those bait rolls and spot dodges. Read his aura spheres and punish when approate. You don't need to be up in his face, but more like out of his range. If he doesn't like the air, test the waters and take him to it. Dont get under him, watch our for Bair and just remeber the closer you get to killing him, the closer you are to being killed
Up smash is really bad. If you see him up smash, fast fall a Bair on his legs. No hit box there.

(I didn't read more than this post on the page, sorry If I gave the same advice you guys did.)

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Lucario is my old main. To stop those bait rolls and spot dodges. Read his aura spheres and punish when approate. You don't need to be up in his face, but more like out of his range. If he doesn't like the air, test the waters and take him to it. Dont get under him, watch our for Bair and just remeber the closer you get to killing him, the closer you are to being killed
Up smash is really bad. If you see him up smash, fast fall a Bair on his legs. No hit box there.

(I didn't read more than this post on the page, sorry If I gave the same advice you guys did.)
Interesting, i wasn't aware of Lucario's hitbox and his 'dangerous' back air :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, I completely agree with Jowii: You need to find a better training partner.
That being said, if you're opponent rolls through you a lot, try to predict it and Fsmash behind you. You get an early kill on Lucario that way and he'll think twice about rolling through you. If he rolls away, don't try to punish it. He'll eventually run out of room.

Top Bottom