• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Iron Fist - Heihachi Mishima

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
It's been already well over a month since the last piece of Smash news. With that drought and scarcity of new information I noticed that discussions also declined. So let's start some new discussions!

What music would you like to see included in a Heihachi character pack? If we take a look back Heihachi's mii costume presentation from Smash 4 starting at 16:37:
https://youtu.be/WWM-SCjIuNg

You can hear that the music is the Character Select theme from Tekken 6:
https://youtu.be/2tbmyL4-Iak

But why?
The Smash team took Heihachi's design from TTT2 which was also the most recent Tekken game, so why not pull a song from there too?
T6 was outdated at that time and the theme isn't even a theme specifically related to Heihachi like his Tekken 3 character themes for example.
Why do you think they chose this theme?
And do you think the song will be among the ones imcluded when we get Heihachi as a full DLC pack? I think this song might be one of Sakurai's favorites feom Tekken because I really can't come up with another explanation otherwise, lol.
How many songs would Heihachi get? Most other DLC characters had around 10 with Terry being the big exception. And which themes would you like specifically? Also what do you think are the chances for some Soul Calibur music along the Tekken music for his pack?

Also I wanted to compile a list of each of Heihachi's crossover appeareances. I think I really crammed together everything there is, which really proves that Heihachi really is Namco's crossover king!
Here is a list of his appeareances:
- Obviously every game in his Tekken series
- Optional boss in the Tekken spin-off Death by Degrees
- guest character in Soul Calibur 2
- guest character in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
- one of the many Tekken characters in Street Fighter x Tekken
- appeared in The King of Fighters: All Stars mobile game
- is one of the characters in Namco x Capcom
- one of the many Namco characters in Project X Zone and Project X Zone 2
- he is one of the selectable baseball players in Super World Stadium '99
- also a guest character in Pro Baseball Famista 2011
- one of the many characters in Full Bokko Heroes X
- he is a playable character in Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis, where he can play tennis against real life tennis players in simulations of real tennis championships!
- also playable in the sequel Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2, it's funny to see him there playing tennis, if you know how he is like in Tekken:
https://youtu.be/VEWQIz-PS4g
- is a narrator in Ridge Racer 6
- he is a character in Pac-Man-Fever
- he is one of Anise's dolls in Tales of the Abyss
- he is one of the support units in Tales of Hearts
- a mii costume in Smash 4
- as an 8bit sprite in Galaga: Tekken Edition
- that same sprite makes an appeareance in Smash Ultimate Pac-Man's namco roulette as a cameo
- and finally he is one of the session characters in Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!

A playable appeareance in Smash would be the last missing achievement, but that will definitely follow soon too! Heihachi is destined to appear in Smash! He earned his place rightfully!

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
It's been already well over a month since the last piece of Smash news. With that drought and scarcity of new information I noticed that discussions also declined. So let's start some new discussions!

What music would you like to see included in a Heihachi character pack? If we take a look back Heihachi's mii costume presentation from Smash 4 starting at 16:37:
https://youtu.be/WWM-SCjIuNg

You can hear that the music is the Character Select theme from Tekken 6:
https://youtu.be/2tbmyL4-Iak

But why?
The Smash team took Heihachi's design from TTT2 which was also the most recent Tekken game, so why not pull a song from there too?
T6 was outdated at that time and the theme isn't even a theme specifically related to Heihachi like his Tekken 3 character themes for example.
Why do you think they chose this theme?
And do you think the song will be among the ones imcluded when we get Heihachi as a full DLC pack? I think this song might be one of Sakurai's favorites feom Tekken because I really can't come up with another explanation otherwise, lol.
How many songs would Heihachi get? Most other DLC characters had around 10 with Terry being the big exception. And which themes would you like specifically? Also what do you think are the chances for some Soul Calibur music along the Tekken music for his pack?

Also I wanted to compile a list of each of Heihachi's crossover appeareances. I think I really crammed together everything there is, which really proves that Heihachi really is Namco's crossover king!
Here is a list of his appeareances:
- Obviously every game in his Tekken series
- Optional boss in the Tekken spin-off Death by Degrees
- guest character in Soul Calibur 2
- guest character in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
- one of the many Tekken characters in Street Fighter x Tekken
- appeared in The King of Fighters: All Stars mobile game
- is one of the characters in Namco x Capcom
- one of the many Namco characters in Project X Zone and Project X Zone 2
- he is one of the selectable baseball players in Super World Stadium '99
- also a guest character in Pro Baseball Famista 2011
- one of the many characters in Full Bokko Heroes X
- he is a playable character in Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis, where he can play tennis against real life tennis players in simulations of real tennis championships!
- also playable in the sequel Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2, it's funny to see him there playing tennis, if you know how he is like in Tekken:
https://youtu.be/VEWQIz-PS4g
- is a narrator in Ridge Racer 6
- he is a character in Pac-Man-Fever
- he is one of Anise's dolls in Tales of the Abyss
- he is one of the support units in Tales of Hearts
- a mii costume in Smash 4
- as an 8bit sprite in Galaga: Tekken Edition
- that same sprite makes an appeareance in Smash Ultimate Pac-Man's namco roulette as a cameo
- and finally he is one of the session characters in Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!

A playable appeareance in Smash would be the last missing achievement, but that will definitely follow soon too! Heihachi is destined to appear in Smash! He earned his place rightfully!
When the Heihachi Mii Costume was added in Smash Bros 4, originally Sakurai intended to add Heihachi into the Smash Bros 4 lineup over Ryu (and Pac-Man at the time, but now looking back at it was a very good decision in hindsight till Ultimate) but as he stated the mechanics of making Heihachi a Fighter was too far from being possible for Smash 4, so as a consolation prize for Heihachi/Tekken Fans he made a Mii Costume for Heihachi from his TTT2 appearance, with Terry Bogard bringing in the exact Mechanics that makes a Tekken/Heihachi Mishima possible its now no longer a matter of if but now a matter of when Heihachi can be a Playable DLC Fighter in FP2. As far as Music goes I have put together a laundry list of content that can represent Tekken Perfectly with:

Heihachi Mishima Pack:

• Playable Fighter: Heihachi Mishima
  • Stage: Mishima Dojo
  • Music: 27-Tekken Music Tracks
    • Tekken
    • Tekken 2
    • Tekken 3
    • Tekken 4
    • Tekken 5
    • Tekken 6
    • Tekken 7
    • Tekken Tag Tournament
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Spirit Board:
    1. Kazuya Mishima (Upgraded with Devil Kazuya)
    2. Jin Kazama (Upgraded with Devil Jin)
    3. Kazumi Mishima (Upgraded with Devil Kazumi)
    4. Jun Kazama
    5. Yoshimitsu
    6. King (Upgraded with Armor King)
    7. Hwoarang
    8. Nina Williams
    9. Anna Williams
    10. Jack (Upgraded with Prototype Jack)
    11. Paul Phoenix
    12. Marshall Law
    13. Ling Xiaoya
    14. Bryan Fury
    15. Lee Chaolan
    16. Julia Chang
    17. Michelle Chang
    18. Beak Doo San
    19. Ganryu
    20. Asuka Kazama
    21. Jinpachi Mishima (Upgraded with Devil Jinpachi)
    22. Lars Alaxandersson
    23. Mokujin
    24. Ogre (Upgraded with True Ogre)
  • Mii Costumes:
Kazuya Mishima
Jin Kazama
Yoshimitsu
Nightmare
Siegfried
Klonoa
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Guile

Lastly I have to say that Soulcalibur 2 is my favorite Heihachi Guest Appearance ever as he doesn’t need a Sword to Fight Swordsman

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
When the Heihachi Mii Costume was added in Smash Bros 4, originally Sakurai intended to add Heihachi into the Smash Bros 4 lineup over Ryu (and Pac-Man at the time, but now looking back at it was a very good decision in hindsight till Ultimate) but as he stated the mechanics of making Heihachi a Fighter was too far from being possible for Smash 4, so as a consolation prize for Heihachi/Tekken Fans he made a Mii Costume for Heihachi from his TTT2 appearance, with Terry Bogard bringing in the exact Mechanics that makes a Tekken/Heihachi Mishima possible its now no longer a matter of if but now a matter of when Heihachi can be a Playable DLC Fighter in FP2. As far as Music goes I have put together a laundry list of content that can represent Tekken Perfectly with:

Heihachi Mishima Pack:

• Playable Fighter: Heihachi Mishima
  • Stage: Mishima Dojo
  • Music: 27-Tekken Music Tracks
    • Tekken
    • Tekken 2
    • Tekken 3
    • Tekken 4
    • Tekken 5
    • Tekken 6
    • Tekken 7
    • Tekken Tag Tournament
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Spirit Board:
    1. Kazuya Mishima
    2. Jin Kazama
    3. Kazumi Mishima
    4. Jun Kazama
    5. Yoshimitsu
    6. King (Upgraded with Armor King)
    7. Hwoarang
    8. Nina Williams
    9. Anna Williams
    10. Jack (Upgraded with Prototype Jack)
    11. Paul Phoenix
    12. Marshall Law
    13. Ling Xiaoya
    14. Bryan Fury
    15. Lee Chaolan
    16. Julia Chang
    17. Michelle Chang
    18. Beak Doo San
    19. Ganryu
    20. Asuka Kazama
    21. Jinpachi Mishima
    22. Lars Alaxandersson
    23. Mokujin
    24. Ogre (Upgraded with True Ogre)
  • Mii Costumes:
Kazuya Mishima
Jin Kazama
Yoshimitsu
Nightmare
Siegfried
Klonoa
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Guile

Lastly I have to say that Soulcalibur 2 is my favorite Heihachi Guest Appearance ever as he doesn’t need a Sword to Fight Swordsman
Exactly my thoughts too. While Heihachi was already among my most wanteds during Smash 4 I have to admit and can't deny that Pac-Man was the better choice for a first Namco rep. He was practically the first videogame character ever starting in 1980 and as such is probably the most notablecguest character in Smash with how much history he carries. If it weren't for him characters like DK or Mario or video games in general how we know them today might have never existed. It also helped that Pac-Man was one of my most wanted guest characters too anyway.

Yep, I also think Terry's inclusion greatly helped to prepare Sakurai for even more complex characters. I think similar to the selection process of Terry's moves and to which button that move shall be mapped, if we want to predict a "Smashified" moveset of Heihachi we similarly have to judge each of Heihachi's moves individually and then think about wether or not we shall use that one for Smash and which button or input command fits best and can be used intuitively.

Yes Mishima Dojo is objectively the best choice for a stage.

27 music tracks is a lot, but the more the merrier. And it's still just half of Terry's music. Namco seems pretty chill with music and they also make the game so I definitely could see that happening.

Nice idea with the spirit upgrades of King and Jack! Maybe also throw in a Jin into Devil Jin upgrade.

Do you know what I like the most about the mii costume section? - The Lloyd costume! Muahahaha!

I also really liked Heihachi's appeareance in SC2. He was one of the most OP characters in the game and all that while ironically being the only character in the game without weapons. Sure he got upgrades in the weapons armory too but those were just knuckle bracelets that were invisible. So basically just a joke so he could get upgrades too and still justify him having the same attack style as in Tekken.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys if you get the chance please give Heihachi a vote with this Mega Poll that way the awareness of the Legendary Fighter will spread for the Better. The poll has been extended until the 8th of March so please take a moment to show your support for the Tekken Star
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...EMEpHwAr3Q9oYp-icA03-EKdp3_w/alreadyresponded
Thanks I voted for our favorite old-timer.
On topic of that I wrote an essay on how my support for Heihachi for Smash started.

Ok let's start at the very beginning. It all started with a PS1. If you had one in the late 90s/early 2000s chances are you came across the series Tekken as it was one of the first system-sellers for that console beggining in early 1995, 3 months after it released on arcades in December 1994. Even if you didn't visit any arcade cabinets, many shops, restaurants and bars at that time also had Tekken machines set for use for the fee of a dime. Having previously experienced Street Fighter II on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System Tekken instantly caught my attention when I played it for its at that time impressive 3D graphics and countless move possibilities. While at that time I'll be perfectly honest none of my friends or me had the combo strings figured out, we were still very young and just button-mashing, so it was all the more cool when you landed a complex attack. It was a great time, when I sometimes meet those old boys/girls again we always like to look back at those times. Now You might think I was fan of the first hour. I actually did not play Tekken 1 until some time later. I played Tekken 2 and 3 nearly simultaneously when Tekken 3 was already released. I borrowed Tekken 1 later but noticed that everything it had was also present in Tekken 2 but much better in 2. While Tekken 3 was the better game than 2, having many characters and music cut was what also made me often turn back to Tekken 2.

Now come 1999 with the first Smash Bros releasing. I was incredibly hyped seeing those commercials with a huge lot of my favorite video game heroes duking it it out against each other. It was definitely cool playing that game and seeing a lot of them meet each other for the first time. But the gameplay itself was a little lacking. It felt primitive compared to Tekken with many things of today's Smash formular not set into motion yet. Smash 64 for me was just a short-lived fun with friends but nothing I could play intensively.

Now lets's again head some years into the future when Smash Bros Melee released on the Gamecube. And oh boy, was it great. It improved on nearly every aspect. A lot more possibilities through the gameplay movesets itself but also through the menus. You could now turn items off, play stamina battles and so much more stuff do to overall with custom rules and special smash. Event matches, adventure mode (for how small it was) and All Star Mode. And the collectible trophies were such a nice touch, it made everything feel so much moore involved and lile avirtual museum of Nintendo's history! And as for the gameplay, it was faster, you got Side-Specials, Grabs, Shield/Dodging, Air-Dodging and more taunts. It was at that point where I took the game more serious as a fighting game. I especially spent a lot of time in the stamina mode simulating more classic fighting games. It was at that point where I thought for the first time how cool it would be to have both of my favorite fighting game franchises to cross over. A pipe-dream at that point, and I knew it very well.

At the same time a lot of new games came out. Tekken 4 was controversial among many long term fans of the series but one thing they could all agree on: it got the story and atmosphere damn right! It developed Heihachi far more and gave him so much character. Starting at that time he also appeared in countless crossovers. The most notable to me at that time was in the PS2 version of Soul Calibur 2. He was the sole reason why I bought the game two times! The Gamecube version for Link and the PS2 version for him! He more and more began to be seen as the face of Tekken overshadowing te original protagonist Kazuya and his replacement Jin completely. And it was justified as he was so funny and charismatic! The rocket scene from his Tekken 5 ending was a new highlight!

Melee lasted a lot of years, we are at Nintendo's 2006 E3 presentation now. And how did it start of the Smash hype? With Solid Snake from MG! The firat third party and then also one who would have never been expected! It seemed to had opened the doors for all kinds of Smash speculation. My most wanted 3rd party at that time? You would be surprised, it was Sonic! I just thought he was the best fit and for that old Sega/Nintendo rivalry to finally be put to rest. And when I did my daily routine of looking at Smash dojo for that one daily post I was shocked (positively) when I saw it and heard "Sonic's the name, speed's my game!". With Konami and Sega involved in Smash and Sakurai previously saying he might add one or two more 3rd parties before adding Sonic many wondered who that last one could be. Most people thought it had to be Megaman as a Capcom rep. I hoped more for a Namco rep. Pac-Man always made the most sense to me for the Namco rep (remember back then it didn't even look like companies would get more than one rep, this rule wasn't broken until Ryu in Smash 4) as he was the first real video game character and the most recognizable at that, maybe besides Mario, Pikachu and Sonic. But I also would have liked a Tekken character. Now the day Brawl released in Japan and we finally knew the complete roster (a time before leakers existed) everyone was shocked. About everything. The small size of the roster compared to the expectations of around 50 characters, many of the character choices, Wolf instead of Krystal, Toon Link instead of Midna and Vaati, Lucario seemingly replacing Mewtwo, talk about wasted slots for characters like R.O.B and the lack of a third 3rd party character. I didn't mind the choices that much, I still enjoyed the game an awful lot for modes like Subspace Emissary, Calssic, All-Star and Boss Rush, but kind of felt the gameplay was lacking compared to Melee. I later found out that was because Sakurai wanted to make the controlls easier for casuals who only owned a Wiimote and didn't want to buy a Gamecube or Pro Controller. I actually got over Brawl pretty quick and only played it after the first few months when friends came over.

Sakurai announcing to have plans to work on a new Smash that will be on both handheld and stationary systems after finishing Kid Icarus Uprising made me interested again into Smash. It took some time but it became especially spicy when Sakurai announced that Namco will be co-developing the game. Wild theories were going through the roof. Was this the equivalent of Marvel vs Capcom? Would we have a lot of Namco newcomers now? Will they maybe take up half the roster? I thought about at least 3 character slots that could be a lock: Pac-Man, a Tekken character and a Soul Calibur character. For Tekken I could have also seen a total of two characters getting added: Heihachi and Jin. Because at that time it wasn't clear how things would get handled and Sakurai usually never added "antagonistic" characters before the protagonist. Sakurai later said Namco characters will not get priority. So that kinda shot that down. There was also an article that said we wouldn't get fighting game characters in Smash, which later turned out to be a bad mistranslation as shown by Ryu's inclusion. Pac-Man got shown off in 2014 and it felt to be the right choice for a Namco rep despite personally liking Tekken more. Again I always thought Pac-Man was the best choice for a singular Namco rep. When Smash 4 released it didn't really catch me. After I unlocked all characters and did all challenges I did not play very often.

For the DLC cycle the direct that introduced Ryu was very notable. First of it broke so many rules:
only one character per 3rd psrty company? Bang!
No fighting game characters in Smash (oh how I hate that misleading article)? Bang!
And then we got the tease at the end with the Heihachi mii costume! I think I was eating some cereals at that moment and nearly spat them out. I was so happy about that stupid costume, lmao. It was the sole reason why I began using Mii Brawler so often.
Then a few weeks later Source Gaming released the translation of a Famitsu Column from Sakurai from 2014 wherehe stated that he considered introducing Heihachi for Smash 4 but then later decided on Pac-Man. And I thought: "So my pipe-dream actually was so close all this time?" And we finally had confirmation by Sakurai himself that Heihachi would be the Tekken rep if it ever come to that. Sure felt great to know that! That also explained his costume and why he was chosen and not another Tekken character!
The Smash 4 DLC cycle didn't end so well for many fans and Sakurai kept a radio-silence for a few years.

Ultimate was announced and after Ridley, a previously difficult to implement character was revealed I was totally on the Heihachi support front. If he figured a way out to implement Ridley, why not Heihachi too? After K. Rool also got in Heihachi was now my undisputed most wanted character. He wasn't in the base-game and so I shifted focus to DLC. After Joker's mii costume section I noticed the Virtua Fighter costumes were the onl Sega mii costuems missing. Some wanted to dismiss this as them being cut because according to them they did not seel well, but I always thought of that being a hint for a fighting game themed pack in the Fighters Pass mirroring Ryu's pack in Smash 4. I was later proven right with that theory but it wasn't for Heihachi but for Terry. Many thought Heihachi's costume would drop alongside the VF costumes for Terry. I believed that the VF ones would return but Heihachi's not. And I was proven right. When additional DLC got announced many thought it would just be 1 or 2 characters, while I always believed it would be a full pass again. I still believe we'll see another fighting game themed pack for the second Fighters Pass. This time with Heihachi as the character and a lot of Namco costumes (none of them have returned so far) thrown in there. Also again it is notable that Tekken is currently the only Japanese video game series not owned by Sony that sold at leat around 50 million units and still has no spirits in Smash. We have playable characters as the obvious ones but also Resident Evil through the spirit event and Monster Hunter with the Rathalos Boss/AT/spirit. Gran Turismo is owned by Sony and only consists of licensed real life cara. That only really leaves Tekken as the biggest franchise yet to getting properly repped.

Here we are. Waiting for the King of Iron fist to cement himself into the Smash franchise.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Do you guys think Heihachi having been is PSASBR affects his chances in Smash at all? I have a feeling that there's nothing contractually stopping a character from being in both, but the fact that thusfar there's been total mutual exclusivity between the two (Raiden's spirit in Smash being the only exception iirc) makes me think maybe there's a possibility/correlation.

I don't think it means anything; Simon was in Konami's smashalike and he still got in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you guys think Heihachi having been is PSASBR affects his chances in Smash at all? I have a feeling that there's nothing contractually stopping a character from being in both, but the fact that thusfar there's been total mutual exclusivity between the two (Raiden's spirit in Smash being the only exception iirc) makes me think maybe there's a possibility/correlation.

I don't think it means anything; Simon was in Konami's smashalike and he still got in.
Considering that roughly 80% of the characters in Playstation All-Stars are owned by Sony (and are most likely ineligible for Smash as a result), I don't think Heihachi's inclusion in that game means anything negative about his chances in Smash. He was considered for Smash 4 despite being in Playstation All-Stars, which is (as far as I know) one of the few times that Sakurai's mentioned what characters he has considered.

Plus, of the third party characters in PSASBR, there's Heihachi, the DmC reboot Dante (who was almost universally disliked), Raiden, Big Daddy from Bioshock, and Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. Of those five, I feel like only Raiden and Heihachi seem like reasonable picks.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Considering that roughly 80% of the characters in Playstation All-Stars are owned by Sony (and are most likely ineligible for Smash as a result), I don't think Heihachi's inclusion in that game means anything negative about his chances in Smash. He was considered for Smash 4 despite being in Playstation All-Stars, which is (as far as I know) one of the few times that Sakurai's mentioned what characters he has considered.

Plus, of the third party characters in PSASBR, there's Heihachi, the DmC reboot Dante (who was almost universally disliked), Raiden, Big Daddy from Bioshock, and Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. Of those five, I feel like only Raiden and Heihachi seem like reasonable picks.
I'm assuming you consider Dante and Don'te to be entirely separate entities then (based on your signature)

same

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm assuming you consider Dante and Don'te to be entirely separate entities then (based on your signature)

same
Haha definitely - I haven't played DmC: Devil May Cry (nothing about it looks appealing to me), but from what I've seen, the reboot Dante's nowhere near as interesting, entertaining, or likable as the original.

I guess that's part of the reason why I support Heihachi over other Tekken characters (minus the "likable" part) - Kazuya and Jin may have better recovery and projectile options with their demon transformations, but I find Heihachi more interesting. (plus he'd stand out among the roster - we don't have many villains or any old men, and he's one of the few characters with a perfect track record in terms of Tekken appearances)

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Haha definitely - I haven't played DmC: Devil May Cry (nothing about it looks appealing to me), but from what I've seen, the reboot Dante's nowhere near as interesting, entertaining, or likable as the original.

I guess that's part of the reason why I support Heihachi over other Tekken characters (minus the "likable" part) - Kazuya and Jin may have better recovery and projectile options with their demon transformations, but I find Heihachi more interesting. (plus he'd stand out among the roster - we don't have many villains or any old men, and he's one of the few characters with a perfect track record in terms of Tekken appearances)
I won't say I'd be disappointed if he got in -- the FG reps in the previous DLC waves have all been the best additions IMO -- but Namco's other fighter probably translates into smash more naturally.

Still' I'd rather have Heihachi than Lloyd, another JRPG rep.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
So with ARMS being our first playable "3D Fighting Game" rep what do you think about Heihachi's chances? With Terry we got a complex character and with ARMS a 3D character, both aspects that were previously deemed to be impossible to implement in Smash by detractors of the genre. Now with that knowledge in mind and combining both aspects there would be a solid foundation to implement Heihachi.
Btw the moveset I'm working on is progressing nicely, it will only take a few more weeks until I'll be able to post it here.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
So with ARMS being our first playable "3D Fighting Game" rep what do you think about Heihachi's chances? With Terry we got a complex character and with ARMS a 3D character, both aspects that were previously deemed to be impossible to implement in Smash by detractors of the genre. Now with that knowledge in mind and combining both aspects there would be a solid foundation to implement Heihachi.
Btw the moveset I'm working on is progressing nicely, it will only take a few more weeks until I'll be able to post it here.
His chances are still High as Arms isn’t really the innovator of the 3D Fighting Game as the difference between Arms and Tekken is that Arms is a 3rd Person View Fighting Genre Game similarly most to Dragonball Z Games with 3rd Person View Fighting Mechanics that has different camera angles of multiplayer gameplay as 3D Fighting Genre is only Tekken as the Camera focuses on rotation of the Stage with 2-Player only Fights making it a 3D Fighting Game through and through

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
His chances are still High as Arms isn’t really the innovator of the 3D Fighting Game as the difference between Arms and Tekken is that Arms is a 3rd Person View Fighting Genre Game similarly most to Dragonball Z Games with 3rd Person View Fighting Mechanics that has different camera angles of multiplayer gameplay as 3D Fighting Genre is only Tekken as the Camera focuses on rotation of the Stage with 2-Player only Fights making it a 3D Fighting Game through and through
Yes my thoughts exactly. With the exception of sidestepping and certain moves that change the camera angle after impact Tekken gameplay actually is really 2-dimensional in comparison. With the first game not even having the ability to sidestep and Tekken 2 only enabling Heihachi and Kazuya with sidestepping.
The best way to implement Heihachi is to let him move like a Tekken character from a modern game with the exception of sidestepping and giving him the low-gravity style of jumping from the older Tekken games as otherwise his jump height would not be high enough for recovery in Smash. The moves itself should be distributed along the most fitting Smash equivalent of that attack (Normal, Special, Aerial or Smash), with stronger versions of those moves being accessed through command inputs. This would also enable some more complex attack moves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kazuya Mishima. He is the true Tekken rival of Heihachi. And would be fitting. Better fit than Jin I'd say.
Stupid question but how similar Kazuya and Heihachi in terms of moveset? Because it's been a long time since I played TEKKEN. Also why not add Heihachi with Kazuya being his echo alongside Jin being his Alph?

Last edited by a moderator:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Yes my thoughts exactly. With the exception of sidestepping and certain moves that change the camera angle after impact Tekken gameplay actually is really 2-dimensional in comparison. With the first game not even having the ability to sidestep and Tekken 2 only enabling Heihachi and Kazuya with sidestepping.
The best way to implement Heihachi is to let him move like a Tekken character from a modern game with the exception of sidestepping and giving him the low-gravity style of jumping from the older Tekken games as otherwise his jump height would not be high enough for recovery in Smash. The moves itself should be distributed along the most fitting Smash equivalent of that attack (Normal, Special, Aerial or Smash), with stronger versions of those moves being accessed through command inputs. This would also enable some more complex attack moves.
I also would Add that Arms is by design and gameplay an Upgraded Punch-Out mixed with a 4-Player Battle Royale Boxing Genre Game unlike Tekken as that is an Upgraded design and gameplay of Street Fighter mixed with 3D Fighting Setting of the Fighting Game Genre

Stupid question but how similar Kazuya and Heihachi in terms of moveset? Because it's been a long time since I played TEKKEN,

Why not add Heihachi with Kazuya being his echo alongside Jin being his Alph?
They’re really not that similar as Kazuya & Jin use the Devil Gene in Tekken while Heihachi is a True Tekken Fighting Game Rep since he uses Traditional Fighting without any ability to possess the Devil Gene, which makes him more fitting to represent Tekken due to more Moveset potential than Kazuya and Jin who rely on non-Fighting Game movesets

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They’re really not that similar as Kazuya & Jin use the Devil Gene in Tekken while Heihachi is a True Tekken Fighting Game Rep since he uses Traditional Fighting without any ability to possess the Devil Gene, which makes him more fitting to represent Tekken due to more Moveset potential than Kazuya and Jin who rely on non-Fighting Game movesets
I hear somewhere in the lines that Jin has Kazuya's moveset in TEKKEN 3

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I hear somewhere in the lines that Jin has Kazuya's moveset in TEKKEN 3
Technically speaking yeah but Sequels later he started to have more movesets that differs from Kazuya even though to this day they kind of are the exact same looking characters and both posses the Devil Gene as Father-Son story and Moveset dynamics evolve, for Heihachi his Arc (which is the main root of Tekken Series of 1 through 7 overall) is to stop and destroy the Devil Gene even if it means killing his Son, Grandson, Wife & even his Father which makes Heihachi more of a Dynamic Character to represent the Tekken Series

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Technically speaking yeah but Sequels later he started to have more movesets that differs from Kazuya even though to this day they kind of are the exact same looking characters and both posses the Devil Gene as Father-Son story and Moveset dynamics evolve
Sorry that I ask too much but why not based Jin off his TEKKEN 3 appearance?

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah you can based his appearance from Tekken 3 as a Kazuya Echo but I believe the real question is why would Kazuya and Jin represent the Tekken Series when in reality Heihachi has been the focal point of the Whole Series similar to how Ryu represents Street Fighter and Terry represents both Fatal Fury & King of Fighter’s as those characters main roots are their heart/core part of the Series as Heihachi is the Core Center of Tekken from its very existence.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Ryu and Ken were mostly based on their SF2 appeareance which means they had the basic moves they have in all later games and just lack some which got added later.
Jin completely replaced his old Mishima karte style with a new one he learned in a dojo in Australia out of spite for his family. It would be out of character for him to have his Tekken 3 style back and it's not a case were only new moves would be lacking but where everything is completely different.
To answer why Heihachi instead of Jin or Kazuya? He is the favorite of Harada, the producer and director of Tekken and general manager at Bandai-Namco. Heihachi always gets chosen for crossovers and was considered for Smash before and also the only Tekken character to get a mii costume in Smash 4

D

Deleted member

Also, if Heihachi did make it in Smash as a DLC, I hope that the Mishima Dojo (or whatever stage from TEKKEN) includes this song.
So yes we would technically have Snoop Dogg in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I mean hey we can have Banjo & Kazooie fight Cloud with Mass Destruction playing in the background so why not Mario fight Richter with a song by Snoop Dogg play in the background.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
My OCD wants Heihachi more than my heart wants Heihachi, as his absence feels really out of place now that we have Terry.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Crash Bandicoot has been in soooooo many Tekken Games, you got to admit that They have to take in consideration of adding him into the…

Okay I Have No Idea Where This is Going

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Crash Bandicoot has been in soooooo many Tekken Games, you got to admit that They have to take in consideration of adding him into the…

Okay I Have No Idea Where This is Going
Yeah Crash is basically Namco's third flagship feanchise right behind Pac-Man and Tekken. He totally should be in the game as Namco creates the games since Smash 4.
(April fools or not, I lowkey would prefer Crash as an Activision rep over any actual Namco character not from Tekken. ESPECIALLY over Tales characters. For me it's an all-in or no-deal situation. If we don't get Heihachi I do not want any other Namco character in this game at all as nobody besides him has earned the right to get in as a second Namco rep).

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Okay, so y'know how Sakurai has stated that the ARMS fighter is going to break smash tradition? Do you guys think this will affect Heihachi's chances? In both cases, the smash devs feel like the character in question (Heihachi, ARMS fighter) couldn't work "normally", so maybe they'll break the same tradition?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Okay, so y'know how Sakurai has stated that the ARMS fighter is going to break smash tradition? Do you guys think this will affect Heihachi's chances? In both cases, the smash devs feel like the character in question (Heihachi, ARMS fighter) couldn't work "normally", so maybe they'll break the same tradition?
It’ll help given ARMS is 3D fighter. Different in style from Tekken but still a 3D fighter. A thing Sakurai was probably having trouble with when trying to work on Heihachi.

Not sure how much it would help though given how different ARMS and Tekken are.

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Heihachi would be really dope to see, having a Tekken character be playable in smash has been one of most wanted thing for the longest time.

also, I don’t think it would make sense for the mii costume to come back without making changes, specifically because why would you have young heihachi for the mii costume while also having old heihachi for the pac-man taunt?

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Heihachi would be really dope to see, having a Tekken character be playable in smash has been one of most wanted thing for the longest time.

also, I don’t think it would make sense for the mii costume to come back without making changes, specifically because why would you have young heihachi for the mii costume while also having old heihachi for the pac-man taunt?
Right on, it’s not the Characters Original essence as his Popularity comes from Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Tag Tournament and other appearances like Soulcalibur 2 as an Elderly, Vicious, Goofy/Spoofy (Comedic moments from other characters POV) Epic Old-Man, the Smash 4 Mii Costume didn’t do the Character justice at All and Sakurai was even going to add him in the Game only for his Input Movesets weren’t possible to Add at the time due to Technical issues (perhaps mostly because of Tekken Combo input wasn’t ready on 3DS mechanics at the time) until Ryu, Ken & more importantly Terry Bogard came and layed out the blueprint of how to make Command Inputs work in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So here is what content i would like to see in a Heihachi Mishima DLC pack.
(having his usual old and the younger aged version from Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 7 as alts, along with his usual black karate gi with a tiger head on the back on it, his Tekken 7 outfit, and his sumo fundoshi loincloth as a gag outfit)
I would base his moveset on the video from FeliciaFan from a few pages back. So in general he is a close-combat-heavy character, whose sets of specials and normals can combo into each other to create different chains of attacks. Some of the moves that are a must have are his iconic Electric Wind God Fist the Spinning Demon and his Dragon Uppercut and incorporating thing like Raijim Stance and other stances. For a final Smash it could be something funny like throwing someone of a cliff or into a volcano, or wrapping them on a rocket and shooting them into outer space. Heihachi is more than a standard brawler.

Stage: Honmaru (Mishima Dojo)
The very iconic temple, which is in the possession of Heihachi and plays the role of an important location in many games. Mostly Tekken 2, 4, 5 and 7.

Music:
Tekken 1 Character Select Screen (Remix)
https://youtu.be/TjPGstmdE84

Tekken 1 Chicago (Remix)
https://youtu.be/75AMKEZS80Y

Tekken 2 Opening (Remix)
https://youtu.be/YFGsfFW2yoE

Tekken 2 Ending/Go Go Go (Remix)
https://youtu.be/z79yEr5nn9I
https://youtu.be/tRb5kgIU0pw

Tekken 3 Heihachi Theme (Arcade) (Original)
https://youtu.be/W_xUUyc8U3I

Tekken 3 Heihachi Theme (Console) (Original)
https://youtu.be/dQ5CWfIzjDE

Tekken 3 Lei Wulong Theme (Remix)
https://youtu.be/QOhAy4zN-1A
https://youtu.be/7FqSRISWu8k

Tekken 4 Fetus (Remix)
https://youtu.be/Lj_Zkx9wYnQ

Tekken 4 The Inner Shrine (Remix)
https://youtu.be/vjr1RpH2Bl4

Tekken 5 Moonlit Wilderness (Original)
https://youtu.be/X86mM6ZMKcc
https://youtu.be/1zoCaaWbcvU

Tekken 5 Antares
https://youtu.be/WzkVqfUq_WA

Tekken 6 Calm Beginning (Remix)
https://youtu.be/iwqz5VdAO8g

Tekken 6 Tunnel Desaster (Original)
https://youtu.be/2EV7Psonm_8

Tekken 7 Kazumi's Theme (Original)
https://youtu.be/kOPClEG87Oc

Spirit Battles:

Kazuya as Ryu; can evolve into Devil Kazuya

Jin as Joker with Arsene; can evolve into Devil Jin

Paul as either Ken or Terry with Guile's assist trophy equipped due to their similair flat-top-hairstyles

Nina as Zero Suit Samus

Law as Diddy Kong, because both are very fast attackers and make similar sounds

King as Incineroar

Yoshimitsu as Fierce Deity Link with a Gray Fox assist trophy

Jack as Metal Donkey Kong

Michelle or Julia as Daisy

Lee as Robin

Kuma as Banjo

Jun or Asuka as Lucina

Lei as Captain Falcon

Xiaoyu as Wii Fit Trainer with Yuri Kozukata as an assist trophy

Lili as White Dress Peach

Lars as Chrom

Ancient Ogre as K. Rool; can evolve into True Ogre

Jinpachi as Ganondorf

Azazel as Ridley

Kazumi as Bayonetta; can evolve into Devil Kazumi

Mii costumes:
Heihachi (returning)
Jin
Kazuya
Paul
Nina
Yoshimitsu
Jack
Lloyd (Tales)(only if he isn't a character on his own)
Gil (Tower of Druaga)

What do you think about these choices?
Also
Hwoarang_TTT2.png
Spirit: Hwoarang
Puppet Fighter: :ultsonic:(Orange)
Conditions:
-Timed Stamina Battle
-All fighters have reduced jump power
-The enemy has uncontrollable speed
Stage: Mementos (Ω)
Music: Knocc 'Em Down

SteveTTT2render.png
Spirit: Steve Fox
Puppet Fighter: :ultlittlemac:(White)
Conditions:
-Timed Stamina Battle
-A hostile Assist Trophy appears (Knuckles)
Stage: Boxing Ring
Music: Tekstep Fountain

Alisa_Boskonovitch_-_CG_Art_Image_-_Tekken_6_Bloodline_Rebellion.png
Spirit: Alisa Bosconovitch
Puppet Fighter: :ultcorrinf:(Pink)
Conditions:
-Timed Stamina Battle
-The enemy starts the battle with a Rocket Belt
Stage: Wily Castle (No Hazards)
Music: Electric Fountain

Shaheen-tekken7-render-official.png
Spirit: Shaheen
Puppet Fighter: :ultjoker:(White)
Conditions:
-Timed Stamina Battle
Stage: Wrecking Crew (Ω)
Music: Main Menu (Season 3)

Claudio_CG_art.PNG.png
Spirit: Claudio
Puppet Fighter: :ultdarkpit:(White)
Stage: Garreg Mach Monastery (Cathedral Phase)
Conditions:
-Stamina Battle
Stage: Garreg Mach Monastery (Cathedral Phase)
Music: Character Select (Season 3)

Also I would say Bowser as Jinpachi's Spirit, Ganondorf as Ancient Ogre's Spirit, and with Min Min recently revealed, let's have Min Min as Xiaoyu

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So I don't know much about Heihachi, but I'm considering him to be fairly likely due to his Mii costume suspiciously not returning with Terry. I've looked into his abilities a little and honestly haven't seen much different from Ryu and Terry. Sakurai said that the new characters must be able to do something only they can do. So my question is, as people who know way more about Tekken than I do, what can Heihachi do that no one else can?

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know much about Heihachi, but I'm considering him to be fairly likely due to his Mii costume suspiciously not returning with Terry. I've looked into his abilities a little and honestly haven't seen much different from Ryu and Terry. Sakurai said that the new characters must be able to do something only they can do. So my question is, as people who know way more about Tekken than I do, what can Heihachi do that no one else can?
Difference between Heihachi vs. Ryu, Ken & Terry is that the Tekken mechanics is based on Combo Hits, as JudgeHeihachi and myself stated that Heihachi Moveset deviates from Street Fighter & SNK Fighting Games with Tekken primarily focuses on Both 3D Fighting Landscapes and Correctly Pressing the proper buttons to land a Multi Hit Combo. What Sakurai did with Terry Bogard with the Input Commands Moveset boosts Heihachi’s blueprint for a New Base Character Design just like with
- Pirahna Plant as a base for Joker
- Mii Swordfighter (& Link for the Shield mechanic) as a base for Hero
- Duck Hunt as a base for Banjo & Kazooie
- Ryu & Ken Masters as a base for Terry Bogard
- The Belmont’s (Simon & Richter) as a base for Byleth
Terry Bogard and Ryu/Ken can be used as a base for Heihachi Mishima with Tekken Fighting Input Commands that he can change different Combination of Hits and Moves, and even pressing :GCD: + :GCB: for different Stances of Tekken Combos while also making his Design stay true to the Tekken Series in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Just for fun which TEKKEN characters should be an assist trophy? For me, maybe Alisa.

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
...what can Heihachi do that no one else can?
Heihachi's movelist is a Tekken movelist, and ergo is cut from the same cloth as Virtua Fighter: authentic martial Arts (in Tekken's case, greatly embellished). So what "only" Heihachi can do is going to be different than the norm, since he's not shooting fire or whatever.

Within Tekken, the Mishimas are very well-known for the just-frame EWGF. Heihachi not only uses this liberally, he has his own OTGF, so he'd be a good demonstration of that principle. He also uses a "crouch dash" to access his EWGF and hell-sweep, which isn't something attempted in Smash Bros yet.

As for actual playstyle, Heihachi is meant to be the most aggressive Mishima, with low-risk offense compensated by poorer mixup options. This is harder to translate unless he's permitted to be plus on shield often.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Heihachi's movelist is a Tekken movelist, and ergo is cut from the same cloth as Virtua Fighter: authentic martial Arts (in Tekken's case, greatly embellished). So what "only" Heihachi can do is going to be different than the norm, since he's not shooting fire or whatever.

Within Tekken, the Mishimas are very well-known for the just-frame EWGF. Heihachi not only uses this liberally, he has his own OTGF, so he'd be a good demonstration of that principle. He also uses a "crouch dash" to access his EWGF and hell-sweep, which isn't something attempted in Smash Bros yet.

As for actual playstyle, Heihachi is meant to be the most aggressive Mishima, with low-risk offense compensated by poorer mixup options. This is harder to translate unless he's permitted to be plus on shield often.
This sounds really interesting, but I have absolutely no idea what your acronyms mean. Would you be willing to explain what they are and what the moves you're talking about do?

Top Bottom