• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jet-Black General, Black Knight, Echoes into Smash

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't have any notions that our current echo fighters will ever be luigified, seeing what happened to Lucina and Dark Pit, but it's nice to see these characters all the same.
Even though they aren't luigi-fied yet; they have been altered which puts them further away from the parent character they cloned. Even if slowly; they are becoming their own characters. But yeah, I get what you mean.

Machete

Smash Ace
The way I see it, Luigi-fying a character is done when said character was made a clone because of a rushed production but was a very important character on their own right, and they didn’t become fully unique as not to alienate their previous players. Basically Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf. Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link became luigified retroactively thanks to changes in their parent character. Roy is somewhere in the middle, in that he obviously had to be luigified a certain amount if he was to be dlc.

Meanwhile, echo characters seem to be mostly popular characters that have only made it in because they were easy clones. They’re extras, only done because they barely require effort. They would remain close to the parent character because the only reason they made it at all was their similarity. Maybe a massively popular character like Lucina (or, if they’re echoes, Isabelle and Dixie) could be lucky in the future, but if the Black Knight is added, I can’t see him being luigified beyond whatever is already done in this game (different animations, upB, final smash...). Which is fine by me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This thread painfully reminds me that I desperately want remakes of the Tellius saga...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Black Knight is in, I'd want him to be a specific way. For starters, I'd want him to be the heaviest character as in its not realistic for most of the cast to launch him earlier than 200%. Second, I'd want him to be goofy strong. Give him Smash attacks that are slow but will reasonably kill at like 50-70%. I'd want him to be a character that you're afraid to approach and even more afraid to challenge. Finally, to balance this out, I'd want him to be slow and have one of the worst recoveries. Imagine Smash 4 Little Mac but heavier than Bowser. That's how I'd want him to be.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Black Knight is in, I'd want him to be a specific way. For starters, I'd want him to be the heaviest character as in its not realistic for most of the cast to launch him earlier than 200%. Second, I'd want him to be goofy strong. Give him Smash attacks that are slow but will reasonably kill at like 50-70%. I'd want him to be a character that you're afraid to approach and even more afraid to challenge. Finally, to balance this out, I'd want him to be slow and have one of the worst recoveries. Imagine Smash 4 Little Mac but heavier than Bowser. That's how I'd want him to be.
I feel like I said all this in his Smash 4 thread lol. I agree completely. He should also have a lot of super armor, and his sword would give him ridiculous reach.

beano199

Banned via Warnings
Yes. Check my post history. I’ve listed all the new characters and stages to my knowledge

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ignoring the troll (I know he is wrong), what would you guys want for the showing off of Black Knight? I would like then to do something similar to Chrom but in the interior of Castle Siege.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Ignoring the troll (I know he is wrong), what would you guys want for the showing off of Black Knight? I would like then to do something similar to Chrom but in the interior of Castle Siege.
With the Against the Black Knight playing on the background

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It would definitely have to play unstoppable destiny in the background for one thing. I'm fine with the same general presentation as Chrom, but I want to see a focus on his rivalry with Ike. I hope we would hear some voice lines and see some taunts, as well as a victory animation. That's about what I'm hoping for.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
This thread painfully reminds me that I desperately want remakes of the Tellius saga...
Never getting to play Path of Radiance and Metroid Prime: Echoes while they were still at reasonable prices are my two biggest gaming regrets of all time. I sit around hoping that one day Nintendo will be reasonable and either remake those games or re-release them at acceptable prices.

Single_Mom

Smash Cadet
Black Knight would be an awesome character for smash. As much as I'd prefer him being a unique fighter, an echo is still really cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On one one hand it'd be yet another villain to the roster, on the other hand though another Fire Emblem character.

I'm 50/50 personally but will be happy for those who wanted him if he gets in.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
One of the reasons I am so excited is one of my friends is such a huge fan of the Tellius games. I know she will be happy for Zelgius to enter the roster. As an echo he makes so much sense and the Mii costume is weird, given that it was new assets and for a character that presumably had no future outside of being a fan favorite...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo so the Micaiah thread informed me that the Black Knight cameo of Castle Siege was gone. Well first of all, I never knew he cameod in that stage, but what else can you guys tell me about this??

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Yo so the Micaiah thread informed me that the Black Knight cameo of Castle Siege was gone. Well first of all, I never knew he cameod in that stage, but what else can you guys tell me about this??
I took two comparative screenshots that went viral over the internet (one youtuber even made a video literally 10 minutes after I posted it on Gamefaqs). I am not 100% sure about the change either, but my opinion is that there WAS a change on the guy sitting on the throne in Castle Siege. He is no longer "black knight-ish", but instead is "red knight-ish" lol. My guess is that it was some kind of hint during last Smash Direct, but who knows?
There are really some impressive number of things going in favor of our bad boy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I took two comparative screenshots that went viral over the internet (one youtuber even made a video literally 10 minutes after I posted it on Gamefaqs). I am not 100% sure about the change either, but my opinion is that there WAS a change on the guy sitting on the throne in Castle Siege. He is no longer "black knight-ish", but instead is "red knight-ish" lol. My guess is that it was some kind of hint during last Smash Direct, but who knows?
There are really some impressive number of things going in favor of our bad boy.
That’s pretty damn awesome! Cool how you stared this, but then again speculators this time are extremely quick to jump to any kind of conclusion.

What other factors are there that are in favor for the Black Knight? Cause am actually curious.

Also I really want Intelligent Systems to make Echo remakes of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I miss playing both games.

Machete

Smash Ace
That’s pretty damn awesome! Cool how you stared this, but then again speculators this time are extremely quick to jump to any kind of conclusion.

What other factors are there that are in favor for the Black Knight? Cause am actually curious.

Also I really want Intelligent Systems to make Echo remakes of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I miss playing both games.
I’d say some of his biggest points are

-Despite being heavily compared to Ike in both Palutena’s guidance and Sakurai’s interviews, Chrom is not an Ike echo, but a Roy one. Hell, the Aether recovery from Ike he shares is the one move the Black Knight wouldn’t have, and his FS proves you can give an unique FS to an echo and Black Knight’s Eclipse would be similar to Chrom’s Awakening Aether in that it doesn’t require much effort. Naturally, the counterpoint to this all is that Sakurai just wanted Chrom to resemble Lucina more, but it’s worth pointing out that it’s weird as **** choosing to go 4 Marths, 1 Ike rather than the much more reasonable 3 Marths, 2 Ikes. Keep in mind Ike is the most popular Fire Emblem character.

-Sakurai seemingly likes the Black Knight. He’s gotten a trophy in both games, a sticker, and he got a Mii costume made from scratch. As far as I know, the only character with workable assets that got a brand new Mii costume is King K. Rool and we all know how that went.

-The Black Knight is not only the most popular Fire Emblem villain, he is the rival and easy clone of Fire Emblem’s most popular character. If there is indeed any interest in including more villains, Burger King is the only choice for a Fire Emblem one.

I’d say those are it, the Chrom thing being the biggest. Keep in mind Chrom and Dark Samus also have several different animations from the base, meaning Black Knight could have a different animation for some of Ike’s attacks.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Hm...it really doesn't sound that unlikely.
I'd love to have him at least as a boss, playable would be even better.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm just gonna voice my support for Zelgius. The increase in villain roster and the fact that Fire Emblem needs an antagonistic representative gives him a stronger fighting chance than he did in the previous two games.

I wonder what differences would he possess as an echo of Ike though...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, I'm just gonna voice my support for Zelgius. The increase in villain roster and the fact that Fire Emblem needs an antagonistic representative gives him a stronger fighting chance than he did in the previous two games.

I hope he can get a few Mii Swordfighter attacks. Namely the Blade Furry, 3rd Neutral Special Custom. And the second Side Special Custom Slash Launcher, which kinda works as Quick Draw anyway.

Outside of that, different animations but similar frame data would be great.

It's been said Dark Samus is floatier than regular Samus though, so a heavier Ike Echo could also work.

There's even a video of Chrom and Lucina vs Ridley and Dark Samus. Anyone can confirm if Chrom is a little slower than Roy, or if Dark Samus is floatier than Samus? Because I think they are.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Probably a different up special, which would most likely be a teleport. I'd guess he'd be slower and stronger too if there are any stat differences. I think there would be different jump animations, taunts, and Idles. Basically slower stronger Ike with a teleport is what I'm thinking.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I was thinking about this last night; Would it be possible for the Dev Team to slowly De-Echo a fighter as patches and updates come out? I'm not too knowledgeable on video game development, or either other fighting games, so I'm wondering if this is a farfetched concept?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I was thinking about this last night; Would it be possible for the Dev Team to slowly De-Echo a fighter as patches and updates come out? I'm not too knowledgeable on video game development, or either other fighting games, so I'm wondering if this is a farfetched concept?
You mean changing specific properties about a character? That's already a thing. For example, Lucina's sword damage is balanced all around her falchion, whilst Marth is focused at the tipper.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You mean changing specific properties about a character? That's already a thing. For example, Lucina's sword damage is balanced all around her falchion, whilst Marth is focused at the tipper.
No I mean like similar to how characters can get buffs/debuffs in patches and updates; Echo Fighters could be slightly more unique moves during the game's lifespan. Not Wolf levels of difference, but maybe at least a little closer to unique?

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
I think it's very unlikely. In my opinion, the echos are purposefully chosen not only because they could work with another character's moveset, but because they have a reason to fight like their original. It would go against their very design to "de-echo" them. And it'd look weird considering how you can stack the echo on top of their original in the CSS.

I’d say those are it, the Chrom thing being the biggest.
I have a very different view on the Chrom argument, I think it's actually very weak. Honestly, I felt the speculation around Chrom being an echo of Ike was strongly biased, and that most speculators blinded each other. Chrom has no reason whatsoever to fight like Ike, he has a clearly different class, with Ike's being mercenary based, they also have no lore connexion at all, and they don't even wield the same weapon. Yes, they share some design similarities, and yes, they were compared in Palutena's guidance. But Sakurai stated Chrom was scraped because he would be a middleground between Marth and Ike, which wasn't as interesting as Robin using magic tomes. Then Roy came back, filling that space inbetween Marth and Ike. What's more, having him as Roy's echo links him with both Lucina and Marth, whom he shares a lore connexion with. Oh, and Marth and his three clones all have a very similar class in the game, which justify them fighting in similar ways pretty well. In my opinion him being Roy's echo, although it is indeed weird, fits him way more than echoing Ike.

If anything, Chrom's presence in the game could be used as a counter-argument to BK's playability. It would be a lot to have two echos from Fire Emblem in one game, wouldn't it? Anyway, I think the other arguments you brought up are actually really solid, and more than enough to justify the current speculation around him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it's very unlikely. In my opinion, the echos are purposefully chosen not only because they could work with another character's moveset, but because they have a reason to fight like their original. It would go against their very design to "de-echo" them. And it'd look weird considering how you can stack the echo on top of their original in the CSS.

I have a very different view on the Chrom argument, I think it's actually very weak. Honestly, I felt the speculation around Chrom being an echo of Ike was strongly biased, and that most speculators blinded each other. Chrom has no reason whatsoever to fight like Ike, he has a clearly different class, with Ike's being mercenary based, they also have no lore connexion at all, and they don't even wield the same weapon. Yes, they share some design similarities, and yes, they were compared in Palutena's guidance. But Sakurai stated Chrom was scraped because he would be a middleground between Marth and Ike, which wasn't as interesting as Robin using magic tomes. Then Roy came back, filling that space inbetween Marth and Ike. What's more, having him as Roy's echo links him with both Lucina and Marth, whom he shares a lore connexion with. Oh, and Marth and his three clones all have a very similar class in the game, which justify them fighting in similar ways pretty well. In my opinion him being Roy's echo, although it is indeed weird, fits him way more than echoing Ike.

If anything, Chrom's presence in the game could be used as a counter-argument to BK's playability. It would be a lot to have two echos from Fire Emblem in one game, wouldn't it? Anyway, I think the other arguments you brought up are actually really solid, and more than enough to justify the current speculation around him.
Strong arguements about Chrom. Not agreeing with what you said about Black Knight however. Zelda already has 3 Links in. And Ganondorf is a Luigified C.Falcon clone who borrows Ike's F Smash and U Smash and Cloud's D Smash. Speaking!! Black Knight could do just that. Borrow Ike's animations, but take Ganondorf's build and stats or something similar like that.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
No I mean like similar to how characters can get buffs/debuffs in patches and updates; Echo Fighters could be slightly more unique moves during the game's lifespan. Not Wolf levels of difference, but maybe at least a little closer to unique?
It's rare for patches to give characters different moves. I brought up the Lucina and Marth thing because that's the kind of change that could happen while adjusting characters,

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now that I think about it. Black Knight may have a shot in getting in considering he was replaced in the background with a red knight on that one stage. Why else would they replace him there? Something must be up...

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Black Knight would be an awesome addition to the game, but just think how many Ashley/Waluigi/Shovel Knight etc fans are going to start casting stones if Fire Emblem gets an 8th character, Echoes be damned. Nevermind the long-standing popularity, ease of inclusion and the fact that the series has so many characters to work with. He could become the next Dark Pit in their eyes. Of course he should get in anyway.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Black Knight would be an awesome addition to the game, but just think how many Ashley/Waluigi/Shovel Knight etc fans are going to start casting stones if Fire Emblem gets an 8th character, Echoes be damned. Nevermind the long-standing popularity, ease of inclusion and the fact that the series has so many characters to work with. He could become the next Dark Pit in their eyes. Of course he should get in anyway.
I remember reading a YouTube comment (bottom of the barrel I know) complaining that Chrom should be cut in favor of Shovel Knight or Alucard. I just shake my head, like, how the hell do people not realize that characters like that don't take "slots" after Sakurai very painstakingly made it as obvious as possible with the Echo Fighter label, or even realize how much more work a unique fighter takes? I have to believe that they are being willingly dense or trolling cause I can't believe that people are just that stupid to not even grasp the basics of game development or time management.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading a YouTube comment (bottom of the barrel I know) complaining that Chrom should be cut in favor of Shovel Knight or Alucard. I just shake my head, like, how the hell do people not realize that characters like that don't take "slots" after Sakurai very painstakingly made it as obvious as possible with the Echo Fighter label, or even realize how much more work a unique fighter takes? I have to believe that they are being willingly dense or trolling cause I can't believe that people are just that stupid to not even grasp the basics of game development or time management.
And Sakurai made it so painfully obvious that they don't take slots, since you can STACK them on the Character Selection Screen if you want. Echoes are one of his greatest "inventions" for Smash, since you can create easy-to-make characters, increase the roster and please the fans with "low" effort.

Top Bottom