• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jet-Black General, Black Knight, Echoes into Smash

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
BK is definitely less athletic overall than Ike as he can't do things like Aether, Quick Draw, or flip in general but he can certainly run as fast as Ike. Overall I wouldn't expect any stat changes as Ike is already a slow and heavy character in Smash so the changes I see happening are:

-Aether being replaced with a non-damaging Farore's Wind or Warp recovery.
-Quick Draw being replaced with Cloud's standard B special.
-The animations for Ike's D-Smash, F-Smash, forward air, and down air being changed to one handed swings
-Ike's double jump animation changed so BK doesn't flip.

Unfortunately I would expect BK to be stuck with Eruption and an unfitting Utilt but otherwise he makes a nice echo of Ike after the above changes.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Black Knight would be badass, "too many Fire Emblem characters" be damned. Ike has become so fast that we practically no longer have a proper heavy sword fighter like Ike used to be. He can be an echo, minus these changes.

-He performs all of his moves with one hand, and seems to show much less effort than Ike, barely leaning his body into his moves.
-He has Brawl Ike's speed and power. He's slow but very heavy and his moves are all strong, even ones that aren't on Ike, like Down Tilt and Nair.
-He has Ike's old up aerial, and has a teleporting Up B with warp powder rather than Aether, since he doesn't use that in the games. His Side B is Luna instead of Quick Draw, a move that heavily damages shields (referencing it's defense halving).
-Final Smash is Eclipse. A huge hit that deals 50% to opponents and ignores shields.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
My bad, I forgot about that bit.

Also lmao at thinking FE stats matter one bit when it comes to choosing characters for a Smash Bros roster. Did you see Ike in Brawl?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tibarn mentioned somewhere in Radiant Dawn that a man moving so quickly in such thick layers of armor is unbelievable. So there's that to consider when we talk about his speed. Still think he should be slower than Ike however.

Luna as a standard charge up sword attack would also work btw. Eruption wouldn't fit Black Knight, because he's simply not the Hero of Blue Flames, but something similar to it might still do.
My bad, I forgot about that bit.

Also lmao at thinking FE stats matter one bit when it comes to choosing characters for a Smash Bros roster. Did you see Ike in Brawl?
Shamefully, they retconned Ike as a slower unit ever since. Radiant Dawn was released before Brawl, but still Ike was a little slower in that game, and had just about 35% Speed Growth Rates or something similar (his Speed is still great whenever he starts out tho, and Bonus EXP still excists).

In Fates, as a amiibo unit, he has downright terrible Speed however, on par with the game's Generals and the like. He's basically a General who uses a Sword in that game, minus the extra damage penalty that armored classes suffer from and 1 Move more.

So while Ike isn't known for a lack of speed in his own games, he has been retconned as a slower fighter ever since his Smash apperances... And it kind of sucks.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Tibarn mentioned somewhere in Radiant Dawn that a man moving so quickly in such thick layers of armor is unbelievable. So there's that to consider when we talk about his speed. Still think he should be slower than Ike however.

Luna as a standard charge up sword attack would also work btw. Eruption wouldn't fit Black Knight, because he's simply not the Hero of Blue Flames, but something similar to it might still do.
He'd probably still get Eruption, just because his sword is also blessed by Ashura and has divine power. Especially because Ike got Eruption as an entirely improvised move in Brawl (likely to replace Roy's Flare Blade) despite not using any fire moves at the time. I'd be fine with him having Eruption, but not Aether, Great Aether or Quick Draw.

Also while BK is very fast in-game, his appearance suggests being bulky and slow, and being powerful, tanky and slow is the defining trait of his class (General). Black Knight will certainly be slow and very heavy.

Also, is no one going to mention the fact that Chrom was explicitly stated to have been left out of Smash 4 on account of being too similar to Ike, only for him to become a Roy echo when he made it in? Yeah you can argue it's because Roy didn't exist when the Palutena's Guidance were made, but it also seems suspicious that they would just change their mind about the character Chrom resembles most when making him an Ike Echo would've been fine (and he even keeps a variant of the Up B). Of course, it would all make sense if Ike already HAD an Echo chosen for him.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Huh, I completely had no idea that happened. Been too long since I've played PoR. Nevermind then. I always pictured him as ranger ike so I didn't think twice about the whole BK being twice as fast thing. Thanks for the info!
As far as I can remember, the armor and class change was temporary for story reasons. He was leading the largest army in the world and was provided support.

I'm all for BK as an Ike echo, but I still need to...fully imagine a bulky, armored figure like him being able to move like Ike does - stats and numbers aren't enough to convince me.

He'd probably still get Eruption, just because his sword is also blessed by Ashura and has divine power. Especially because Ike got Eruption as an entirely improvised move in Brawl (likely to replace Roy's Flare Blade) despite not using any fire moves at the time. I'd be fine with him having Eruption, but not Aether, Great Aether or Quick Draw.

Also while BK is very fast in-game, his appearance suggests being bulky and slow, and being powerful, tanky and slow is the defining trait of his class (General). Black Knight will certainly be slow and very heavy.

Also, is no one going to mention the fact that Chrom was explicitly stated to have been left out of Smash 4 on account of being too similar to Ike, only for him to become a Roy echo when he made it in? Yeah you can argue it's because Roy didn't exist when the Palutena's Guidance were made, but it also seems suspicious that they would just change their mind about the character Chrom resembles most when making him an Ike Echo would've been fine (and he even keeps a variant of the Up B). Of course, it would all make sense if Ike already HAD an Echo chosen for him.
I somewhat agree with Sakurai's philosophy, despite my bias. Chrom, build-wise, somewhat sits between Marth and Ike, and doesn't wholly "stand out" as Ike did; he isn't that unique. Roy was a clone of Marth in Melee, and since his "Luigified" return, and how the Echo Fighters concept opens up a slot for others, Chrom was a shoe-in.

Shamefully, they retconned Ike as a slower unit ever since. Radiant Dawn was released before Brawl, but still Ike was a little slower in that game, and had just about 35% Speed Growth Rates or something similar (his Speed is still great whenever he starts out tho, and Bonus EXP still excists).

In Fates, as a amiibo unit, he has downright terrible Speed however, on par with the game's Generals and the like. He's basically a General who uses a Sword in that game, minus the extra damage penalty that armored classes suffer from and 1 Move more.

So while Ike isn't known for a lack of speed in his own games, he has been retconned as a slower fighter ever since his Smash apperances... And it kind of sucks.
A necessary retcon if such a use for a broad term, PoR Ike was broken as hell. RD Ike had more "Warrior-like" stat growths. Mind you, I don't wholly see it is as a retcon. Remember, Ike wields a two-hander with one-hand, that is insane! He is pretty much holding a refrigerator in weight; an exaggeration, I know. In RD, he obviously bulked up and didn't skip arm-day. The consequences of bulking up is slower speed.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I still don't see Black Knight as an echo. Like of course he should be based on Ike but a lot of these "he can be an echo, BUT" sort of changes would necessarily make him NOT an echo. I mean an echo would basically be able to function as a model swap. Even though animations are changed for aesthetics they still seem to fit the same sort of frame data. And I get that the Black Knight has been presented as fast, he's a real absolute badass I'm well aware, but that armor is still HEAVY. For him to be the same weight as Ike would be... really strange. In terms of just presentation and conveyance I really don't think that would work. And changing his weight would necessarily require other changes as well, like being slower in general, meaning new animations. He would only reasonably work as a semi-clone of Ike, which is also the best treatment for him.

I feel like some people insist he'd work as an echo since that might help his chances, being a "low effort" addition. A little unfortunate that being more unique might hinder his chances. Though I suppose they weren't great to begin with.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
This. As a matter of fact, I don't recall him EVER running in the game or in the cutscenes. He either stands still, teleports, or walks dramatically toward you to **** you up with his sword. This is literally a "Captain Toad can't jump" situation.
The Black Knight runs in the opening cutscene of Radiant Dawn and, that is after his armor's blessing is gone. He doesn't need to be slower than Ike, he is actually disturbingly fast.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I still don't see Black Knight as an echo. Like of course he should be based on Ike but a lot of these "he can be an echo, BUT" sort of changes would necessarily make him NOT an echo. I mean an echo would basically be able to function as a model swap. Even though animations are changed for aesthetics they still seem to fit the same sort of frame data. And I get that the Black Knight has been presented as fast, he's a real absolute badass I'm well aware, but that armor is still HEAVY. For him to be the same weight as Ike would be... really strange. In terms of just presentation and conveyance I really don't think that would work. And changing his weight would necessarily require other changes as well, like being slower in general, meaning new animations. He would only reasonably work as a semi-clone of Ike, which is also the best treatment for him.

I feel like some people insist he'd work as an echo since that might help his chances, being a "low effort" addition. A little unfortunate that being more unique might hinder his chances. Though I suppose they weren't great to begin with.
Honestly I think all these changes people are talking about are mostly unnecessary. BK doesn't use aether, but Dark Samus doesn't use morph ball bombs. As far as the speed thing, he is just as fast as Ike and looks fine running in cutscenes. People said Ridley "just wouldn't seem right" being sized down just like they say BK wouldn't look right running. I don't think making a character who runs in his own game run and jump in smash will be the thing to stop Sakurai after he made Ridley work. People are just thinking about it too hard. BK would practically work as a costume for Ike.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
As far as I can remember, the armor and class change was temporary for story reasons. He was leading the largest army in the world and was provided support.

I'm all for BK as an Ike echo, but I still need to...fully imagine a bulky, armored figure like him being able to move like Ike does - stats and numbers aren't enough to convince me.

I somewhat agree with Sakurai's philosophy, despite my bias. Chrom, build-wise, somewhat sits between Marth and Ike, and doesn't wholly "stand out" as Ike did; he isn't that unique. Roy was a clone of Marth in Melee, and since his "Luigified" return, and how the Echo Fighters concept opens up a slot for others, Chrom was a shoe-in.

A necessary retcon if such a use for a broad term, PoR Ike was broken as hell. RD Ike had more "Warrior-like" stat growths. Mind you, I don't wholly see it is as a retcon. Remember, Ike wields a two-hander with one-hand, that is insane! He is pretty much holding a refrigerator in weight; an exaggeration, I know. In RD, he obviously bulked up and didn't skip arm-day. The consequences of bulking up is slower speed.
What I was referring to was the fact that it was stated that if Chrom was in Smash, he'd be too similar to Ike. Suddenly, he's in, but the team suddenly changed their mind and made him a clone of Roy. This means one of two things:

1. They just decided that Roy was a better fit than Ike for some reason, or re-imagined him to fit Roy instead.
2. Ike already had a more appropriate Echo lined up (Black Knight) that would make a Chrom Echo of Ike unnecessary. Thus, they worked him into a Roy Echo.

This is what I'm saying. It's an interesting observation because Sakurai's team changed their mind about a character who didn't change whatsoever between games. The could have easily gone with their original idea and made him an Ike Echo, yet they didn't.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Dark Samus can have "floatier movement", a small change in how she moves/weighs, I think it's fair to say BK could have a small change in weight to make him slightly heavier. That shouldn't take too much work if it's a small increase, which would serve to accentuate the armor but still keep him within the realm of an Echo.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Honestly I think all these changes people are talking about are mostly unnecessary. BK doesn't use aether, but Dark Samus doesn't use morph ball bombs. As far as the speed thing, he is just as fast as Ike and looks fine running in cutscenes. People said Ridley "just wouldn't seem right" being sized down just like they say BK wouldn't look right running. I don't think making a character who runs in his own game run and jump in smash will be the thing to stop Sakurai after he made Ridley work. People are just thinking about it too hard. BK would practically work as a costume for Ike.
Understand that the Black Knight is not an acrobat. Yes, he's actually fast in canon and can certainly run but having him spin around like a lunatic doing Ike's Aether is beyond silly and something completely contrary to the character's personality which is stoic and imposing. He largely works with Ike's stats and moveset but he absolutely needs a different Up-B and Side-B.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Consider this people, fighters in Smash do not follow their “canon” of size, weight or speed from their original game. Sakurai makes it work for his fighters.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sir there is no need to be upset. Ridley is in and you can't change that. Let your wounds heal.
Try to stay on topic. How characters have been altered for Smash in the past has no bearing on whether or not they should have been or newcomers should be.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Try to stay on topic. How characters have been altered for Smash in the past has no bearing on whether or not they should have been or newcomers should be.
Now he's trying to pretend to be a good boy for the mods to cover up his initial unwarranted aggression hehe. That aside, no one will ever be 100% accurate to their source material, honestly I don't know why you even say Black Knight should be so accurate to his source material considering pretty much his only shot at getting into Smash at this point is as an echo. Being a more athletic comes with being in Smash, we have Bowser doing midair cartwheels and sprinting faster than Mario does after all, and he's just one example (though probably the most notable). It's not about if fighters should be completely faithful to their source, it's about if they can, and they can't. Black Knight doesn't need to be as stiff and rigid as he was in FE because you can't be stiff and rigid in Smash, he has to be able to move around.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
Now he's trying to pretend to be a good boy for the mods to cover up his initial unwarranted aggression hehe. That aside, no one will ever be 100% accurate to their source material, honestly I don't know why you even say Black Knight should be so accurate to his source material considering pretty much his only shot at getting into Smash at this point is as an echo. Being a more athletic comes with being in Smash, we have Bowser doing midair cartwheels and sprinting faster than Mario does after all, and he's just one example (though probably the most notable). It's not about if fighters should be completely faithful to their source, it's about if they can, and they can't. Black Knight doesn't need to be as stiff and rigid as he was in FE because you can't be stiff and rigid in Smash, he has to be able to move around.
Yeah that aggression was unnecessary. All of us supporters here know the problems of Smash adaptations. A lot of the fighters, base on canon, shouldn't be viable, but they are. And we support the Black Knight fully aware of that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I like the idea of canon!Black Knight just demolishing 90% of the roster until Pit shows up with all his blessed gear from Palutena.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Understand that the Black Knight is not an acrobat. Yes, he's actually fast in canon and can certainly run but having him spin around like a lunatic doing Ike's Aether is beyond silly and something completely contrary to the character's personality which is stoic and imposing. He largely works with Ike's stats and moveset but he absolutely needs a different Up-B and Side-B.
I can honestly picture him doing any of Ike's moves. If anything should change it's the up b. Switch it to a standard teleport. Side b definitely doesn't need to change. It's just kind of a dash attack. 100% fits on BK. Only other thing I can picture changing is the jab. Besides, if he looks unnatural in fe he should look unatural in smash. Cloud shouldn't be able to swing that huge sword so fast either let alone even lift it but he does in smash because he does in his game. Why change a character meant to look unnaturally fast and agile just for the sake of making him look more normal. Be faithful to the source material. BK can move just like Ike in fe. This is kind of a made up issue.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly, the only thing that will prevent BK from being playable is if Sakurai doesn't want an 8th FE rep in the base roster.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Black Knight just needs a new up b and final smash, other than that he’s basically perfect as an Ike echo. It would be awesome to have a fire Emblem villain as I want more villains.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I agree to make it work as an Echo, changing the Up B would be the major change, move wise at least. I can imagine maybe something like Cloud's Up B. Or something else, just something that is not Aether.

Also, design wise, to make him not as bulky, his armor can be slimmed down but still has the look and feel to his original design. Many characters in Smash have been tweaked aesthetically.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, the only thing that will prevent BK from being playable is if Sakurai doesn't want an 8th FE rep in the base roster.
This. Imo he could be considered a front-runner for an echo slot. He was in the ballot wave of dlc costumes alongside Chrom, K Rool, Ashley, and Loyd. 2 are already in. I think Ashley would surely have made it if she would have fit as an echo. He is one of only a couple first party Mii costumes to be made from the ground up. He clearly has popularity based on this, and Sakurai is well aware people want more villains. So many people must have said in their reasoning for ballot votes that smash needs more villains. I'd wager the winner of the ballot was "villains" if you count it that way. He is the only viable Fe villain. He's featured prominently in advertising and he's relavent because of heroes. Since he works perfectly as an echo, he wouldn't even take up a unique slot. The only downside is the over representation of fire emblem. His design helps here as many people who don't want more Fe say they want BK simply because of how cool heis I don't want to get my hopes up but I legitimately think he has a pretty good shot.

Machete

Smash Ace
I think it's fairly obvious if there's an eighth Fire Emblem character on the base roster, it'll be him. No way they are doing a unique Fire Emblem character and not choosing Lyn, which means the only option is an echo. While I loooove Celica, Black Knight got a Mii costume (and not made with reused assets, if i recall correctly, right?), is an easy clone of Fire Emblem's most popular character, and is a villain. Besides, Chrom was always compared to Ike, and he's not an Ike echo, and instead a fourth Marth? There's gotta be more to it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wonder, what would the Black Knight's codec and Palutena's Guidance be like. Both Snake and Pit already found Ike intimidating to an extent, the Black Knight will likely be at another level.

Machete

Smash Ace
I wonder, what would the Black Knight's codec and Palutena's Guidance be like. Both Snake and Pit already found Ike intimidating to an extent, the Black Knight will likely be at another level.
Well most of those are easily guessed.

"Whoa, Otacon/Lady Palutena! This guy is enormous! Look at that armor! And that sword! I am not sure if I can do this!"
"The Black Knight is a fearsome opponent indeed, Snake/Pit. He has reach, power, and resilience. There is a reason he is Ike's most dangerous foe"
"I can see that! His fighting style seems close to his, too... wonder why?"
"I wouldn't ask him. Their strengths are similar, indeed. But so are their weaknesses! Use your explosives/bow and arrow to keep the fight at long range, and abuse his sub-par air game! ... Oh, and, Snake/Pit?"
"...Yeah?"
"Don't get hit with that sword. It will hurt"

You can add a comparison to a Metal Gear if it's a codec, or a "Luckily that armor can't be good for peripheral vision. I just have to run circles around him!" "That won't work in this game, Pit" if it's a guidance.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well most of those are easily guessed.

"Whoa, Otacon/Lady Palutena! This guy is enormous! Look at that armor! And that sword! I am not sure if I can do this!"
"The Black Knight is a fearsome opponent indeed, Snake/Pit. He has reach, power, and resilience. There is a reason he is Ike's most dangerous foe"
"I can see that! His fighting style seems close to his, too... wonder why?"
"I wouldn't ask him. Their strengths are similar, indeed. But so are their weaknesses! Use your explosives/bow and arrow to keep the fight at long range, and abuse his sub-par air game! ... Oh, and, Snake/Pit?"
"...Yeah?"
"Don't get hit with that sword. It will hurt"

You can add a comparison to a Metal Gear if it's a codec, or a "Luckily that armor can't be good for peripheral vision. I just have to run circles around him!" "That won't work in this game, Pit" if it's a guidance.
Eh Snake beat Vulcan Raven, who's basically a huge dude wielding an enormous chain gun. He can probably handle Black Knight's sword. Plus Pit has blessed gear, the Black Knight's biggest (only) weakness.

I'd be more concerned with how characters like Jigglypuff and Villager would feel against him.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I sort of hope the Snake codec would delve a little deeper, since the Black Knight and Snake are both committed soldiers. Of course their circumstances are different, but they could empathize with one another I'm sure. Maybe something like...
Snake: There's a man wearing massive black armor... A normal man couldn't move around in that thing, who is this guy?!
Colonel: That's the Black Knight, Snake. He wears that armor to hide his identity. Rumor has it he's ashamed to be seen without it.
Snake: Ashamed?
Colonel: That's right. He yearns only to hone his skill as swordsman. He finds his purpose on the battlefield.
Snake: Life on the battlefield... That's all I've known too.
Colonel: What do you fight for, Snake?
Snake: ...
Colonel: Snake, right now, you are fighting for survival. His armor is blessed by the Goddess Ashera. Normal weapons can't leave a scratch on it, but you're not a normal soldier, are you?
Snake: Got it.

Also Meta Knight and the Black Knight would totally be friends.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I sort of hope the Snake codec would delve a little deeper, since the Black Knight and Snake are both committed soldiers. Of course their circumstances are different, but they could empathize with one another I'm sure. Maybe something like...
Snake: There's a man wearing massive black armor... A normal man couldn't move around in that thing, who is this guy?!
Colonel: That's the Black Knight, Snake. He wears that armor to hide his identity. Rumor has it he's ashamed to be seen without it.
Snake: Ashamed?
Colonel: That's right. He yearns only to hone his skill as swordsman. He finds his purpose on the battlefield.
Snake: Life on the battlefield... That's all I've known too.
Colonel: What do you fight for, Snake?
Snake: ...
Colonel: Snake, right now, you are fighting for survival. His armor is blessed by the Goddess Ashera. Normal weapons can't leave a scratch on it, but you're not a normal soldier, are you?
Snake: Got it.

Also Meta Knight and the Black Knight would totally be friends.
Now I'm picturing Black Knight as a part of brawl in the family participating in random shenanigans with King Dedede.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Black Knight just needs a new up b and final smash, other than that he’s basically perfect as an Ike echo. It would be awesome to have a fire Emblem villain as I want more villains.
Reminder Chrom is a hybrid of Ike and roy

So black knight could very well be the same case

Best I can think of for a different up B is clouds differences is no limit gage boost

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Now I'm picturing Black Knight as a part of brawl in the family participating with random shenanigans with King Dedede.
Samus witnesses Ike and the Black Knight hanging out together.
"Ike, what are you doing? He killed your father!"
"Eh, it made me stronger, didn't it? Besides, he's an alright guy!"
Samus is left in stunned disbelief, and glances over at Ridley. He gives her a little wave.
"Ugh..."
The Black Knight leans in toward Samus.
"Who is your friend there in the dark armor?"
Samus glances over at Dark Samus. She gives her a little wave.
"Ugh!!!"

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Hey guys; I'm just curious what you think and I wasn't quite sure where to share it:

I personally like echo's/clones cause they act to me as a foot in the door; cementing a place in people's minds and the roster. This makes it so that comes the next Smash Bro's, they have the possibility of being Luigi-fied. I mean; as far as I know; Sakurai has never made a character become even MORE unoriginal. If there's change; it's usually always progressive rather than regressive. Do you feel this way about the Black Knight; and echos/clones in general?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Hey guys; I'm just curious what you think and I wasn't quite sure where to share it:

I personally like echo's/clones cause they act to me as a foot in the door; cementing a place in people's minds and the roster. This makes it so that comes the next Smash Bro's, they have the possibility of being Luigi-fied. I mean; as far as I know; Sakurai has never made a character become even MORE unoriginal. If there's change; it's usually always progressive rather than regressive. Do you feel this way about the Black Knight; and echos/clones in general?
I don't have any notions that our current echo fighters will ever be luigified, seeing what happened to Lucina and Dark Pit, but it's nice to see these characters all the same.

Top Bottom