• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jet-Black General, Black Knight, Echoes into Smash

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'd be a bit annoyed that it wasn't Duma who's the right size, has a cool aesthetic, and has enough unique powers to set himself apart from Rathalos. BK as a boss would be awkward since he'd either be smaller than some of the playable fighters or would outright tower over Ike.
That's the thing about Black Knight being a boss. There is no way they could justify him being bigger than Ridley. Having a boss be smaller than the player would be weird. He just doesn't fit in that role at all.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
So are we all in agreement? If the Black Knight is an echo fighter it is mandatory to always walk menacingly towards our opponents.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
What would much better serve as a Fire Emblem boss is a massive-sized powerful dragon which is one major element that Fire Emblem is lacking in Super Smash Bros. And they're a series known for its dragons, why not utilize that? With the amount of Awakening characters right now, Grima is one of the better candidates as a boss.

That's the thing about Black Knight being a boss. There is no way they could justify him being bigger than Ridley. Having a boss be smaller than the player would be weird. He just doesn't fit in that role at all.
Thank you! The idea that Ike's main rival and sworn enemy who was also taught by Greil being bigger than Ridley is really going to throw so many people off. Why go about changing the general who looks very similar to the Black Knight to a soldier on the throne if he was to ever be a boss? The cape isn't even shown as well when looking closely at the comparision: CastleSiege

There's still the platforms on the 2nd section of Castle Siege especially with Richter close up on footage. And they explained that bosses like Dracula and Rathalos are only fought on larger flat stages with no platforms.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So are we all in agreement? If the Black Knight is an echo fighter it is mandatory to always walk menacingly towards our opponents.
Never dash, just walk.

Black Knight code of conduct

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see what they would do with his iddle animation and taunts. An epic pose is mandatory as sign of his superiority in battle

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Menacing walk aside, I do hope The Black Knight gets the same voice actor that he has in FEH. Also "Will you survive?" needs to be one of the Black Knights taunts.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I like it to. I was thinking that might be something he says when he counters someone. There are three taunts so I hope we get both.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
What are the chances Black Knight gets revealed in the direct tomorrow? Probably non existent. I would imagine they'd hold him off till later since they just showed a fire emblem character, but I said the same thing about King K Rool.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
With this version of Smash ... so much is possible. I am leaning towards echoes of different franchises ... like Shadow/Sonic, Dixie/Diddy, etc.

Then again ... anything is possible.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
What are the chances Black Knight gets revealed in the direct tomorrow? Probably non existent. I would imagine they'd hold him off till later since they just showed a fire emblem character, but I said the same thing about King K Rool.
Since Black Knight's best chance of getting in is as an Echo, I think he'll be saved for a longer form Smash-specific Direct some time in October or November. Traditionally, Echoes are either shown independently in short gameplay trailers, or they are included in trailers of unique newcomers from their home series.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Since Black Knight's best chance of getting in is as an Echo, I think he'll be saved for a longer form Smash-specific Direct some time in October or November. Traditionally, Echoes are either shown independently in short gameplay trailers, or they are included in trailers of unique newcomers from their home series.
Tough to say right now - I think we'll probably get a newcomer trailer tomorrow along with an Echo reveal. If they do a big update to Fire Emblem Heroes or Three Houses I could see Black Knight being part of that reveal. But probably not so close to Chrom's.

I think if anything Black Knight would be revealed when the Story mode gets revealed and if it's all about the villains.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Has this been discussed or proven so far?:

From the Castle Siege stage the Black Knight has apparently been removed from the throne and replaced with a generic general.

If this is the case, his chances are higher.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Has this been discussed or proven so far?:

From the Castle Siege stage the Black Knight has apparently been removed from the throne and replaced with a generic general.

If this is the case, his chances are higher.
I believe the full story is that the general before was not technically the Black Knight but he was the spitting image of him, right down to the unique armor and helmet shape. Basically it was a Black Knight lookalike. So it doesn't hold the same weight as if it had technically been him, but it still could mean something because changing a unique general to a generic one is still wierd unless there is a newcomer who looks just like the unique general.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I am willing to believe that the Black Knight has a chance to be announced on this next Direct, during some kind of advertisement of a Fire Emblem title (three houses or heroes). If not, as our friend Barbasol said, perhaps on the next Smash Direct.
Interesting fact: Mimique, a guy from twitter who had "guessed" a lot of things smash-related, included our bad boy on his prediction list:

https://twitter.com/MimiqueVEVO/status/1031717320513662976

As he says, those Echoes (except for Louie) are definitely in. He seems some kind of disguised leaker, so it's worthy to note his opinion.
He stated that Skull Kid will be playable, and Isaac as well. We'll see tomorrow if any of this is true.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
What if Black Knight was given the Lucina treatment? The derect opens with Ike dodging multiple blade beams with the camera shifting to show his adversary. The Knight then goes for a final blow when a spear interrupts him. He looks to see this new foe and finds a Waddle Dee. It writes it self.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Are they finally gonna announce the longly awaited Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn remakes? CAN THEY!?

With how expensive Path of Radiance is selling on eBay, it'd be a waste not to remake the Tellius games.

Seemingly Ike only got popular because of Smash, and not so much his source games, which is kinda sad.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The other possibility, if it is true or confirmed that specifically the Black Knight is not on that throne ... he could get the Villian treatment for the "spirits" mode.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The other possibility, if it is true or confirmed that specifically the Black Knight is not on that throne ... he could get the Villian treatment for the "spirits" mode.
Which is better than nothing still...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm not sure that would make sense because they wouldn't have to remove him from castle seige to make him an adventure mode boss. Besides, he wouldn't fit as a boss because he'd have either be smaller than a lot of playable characters or be like twice as tall as Ike.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I personally would rather have him as an Echo fighter ... As for the new game mode, we do not know all the "rules" for it. Do the bosses have to be big?

Who knows.

Machete

Smash Ace
I personally would rather have him as an Echo fighter ... As for the new game mode, we do not know all the "rules" for it. Do the bosses have to be big?

Who knows.
Well, they went with gigantic Dracula when they could've gone for more human-sized Dracula and keep the giant size for his transformed state, and considering all SSE bosses were gigantic, then yeah, I am fairly sure all bosses will be giants. It honestly strikes to me as a Sakurai thing to do.

Besides, even though I want Burger King as playable, if he could only make it as a boss, I'd much rather get a giant dragon or demon from Fire Emblem. Those are a huge part of the series and a boss is the only way they'd get represented.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I do agree so far the evidence thus far points to large enemies/villains as the "bosses." I also think more than likely they will all be that way. At the moment though, we just can't see for a certain at this point until it fully revealed.

I do hope BK is echo, it would be a bit dissapointing if he was one of these bosses and not an Echo. Ridley has been molded to work as a fighter, so BK could work. Gratned, any villain can work now for Smash. ;)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Black Knight could be a Boss in the adventure mode but I'm still leaning towards Echo myself.

Machete

Smash Ace
I just can't see the logic of choosing Black Knight as a boss if he's skipped as an echo. It'd be much cooler to have something like Grima (not sure how they'd do it, but I have faith), Medeus or Fomortiis. Like, the Black Knight looks awesome, but I have a hard time justifying him as a more terrifying foe than Ridley or Ganondorf, who are perfectly playable. Which, I mean, it could happen, but I wouldn't understand why they'd do that rather than go for a monster. If you have Grima as a boss you can even have Robin as a villain in the story mode.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think most people just aren't aware there are more than just anime swordsmen in Fire Emblem, lol. There are plenty better options for bosses than Black Knight in the series. Like even if he's not playable or not even an assist trophy. You don't gotta shoehorn him in as a boss.

Medeus seems like the most obvious. You could even recreate his battle from the second game he's in. Would fit perfectly in Smash's 2D perspective.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I know people will groan about another FE swordsman, but at least Black Knight is from a good FE game and is another villain. I personally don't care about how much representation a series has--I care if it's done well.
Good luck from the Isaac thread my dudes!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I still want to see Campamortis as a boss. I know sacred stones isn't even represted at all in smash but still. I wish it were possible.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd love to see how Black Knight would be incorporated into the Story Mode. If we could see a trio of Black Knight, Meta Knight, and Wolf acting as the villain's enforcers that could be a really fun dynamic. I see them operating almost like a Boba Fett type role where they have a specific side mission before eventually siding with the Heroes against the more irredeemable villains.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
3 hours, 26 minutes. If Black Knight is playable, he might get a reveal here. It really depends on if they just want to do a single trailer to reveal a fighter or two, or if there will be a more focused segment dedicated to Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Are they finally gonna announce the longly awaited Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn remakes? CAN THEY!?

With how expensive Path of Radiance is selling on eBay, it'd be a waste not to remake the Tellius games.

Seemingly Ike only got popular because of Smash, and not so much his source games, which is kinda sad.
The awful dubs for the cutscenes is pretty much enough reason to have remakes of them, the games deserve so much better than that. Portability would also be great, and I'd be interested in seeing how they'd update the art considering the change in style from PoR to RD.

3 hours, 26 minutes. If Black Knight is playable, he might get a reveal here. It really depends on if they just want to do a single trailer to reveal a fighter or two, or if there will be a more focused segment dedicated to Smash.
The Direct was delayed because of earthquakes in Japan.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wh-what? How long was it delayed? And why is Japan always the target of natural disasters?
By a week. Won't be until next Thursday now.

I definitely think this was for the best. Lives are more important then games and this gives families time to mourn their losses and attend funerals.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wh-what? How long was it delayed? And why is Japan always the target of natural disasters?
There's no official statement on when it's going to happen now, some things suggest next Thursday, but might just be placeholder stuff for their databases.

Last edited:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
About the natural disasters, the Pacific Plates houses a good number of active plate boundaries Japan, not unlike California which is on top of one, exists close to one of these plate boundaries. It is also close enough to where Tsunamis formed by such quakes will have not dissipated to the point where they can be easily dealt with.
Also the Pacific Ocean can produce large numbers of storms.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

How's this look? When I become obsessed over a character, I just gotta make a tiny sprite of them. (Don't tell the other threads, they might get jealous.) BK's a bit complicated though for something so tiny, I hope it looks alright.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

How's this look? When I become obsessed over a character, I just gotta make a tiny sprite of them. (Don't tell the other threads, they might get jealous.) BK's a bit complicated though for something so tiny, I hope it looks alright.
That's awesome! You made that yourself? I wish I was good enough at art to do stuff like that.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman

Must say thats pretty damn impressive! Gets a thumbs up from me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I am here to swear my allegiance to the Black Knight, hoping to see him make it in as a newcomer.

Personally, I feel The Black Knight would have enough substantial differences (such as in the forms of having higher weight, a larger hitbox, slight altercations to his sword swings, replacing the moves/parts-of-moves solely ultising just the limbs, etc.,) that I feel would warrent not having him be classified as an Echo Fighter but as his own separate character more in the style of how Lucas & Wolf are.

Of course, just making him a Echo Fighter would just be alot easier but it just wouldn't really be right for someone wearing gigantic armour to be an Echo of one who don't wear full-on armour, no matter how slow Ike was made in Smash.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I am here to swear my allegiance to the Black Knight, hoping to see him make it in as a newcomer.

Personally, I feel The Black Knight would have enough substantial differences (such as in the forms of having higher weight, a larger hitbox, slight altercations to his sword swings, replacing the moves/parts-of-moves solely ultising just the limbs, etc.,) that I feel would warrent not having him be classified as an Echo Fighter but as his own separate character more in the style of how Lucas & Wolf are.

Of course, just making him a Echo Fighter would just be alot easier but it just wouldn't really be right for someone wearing gigantic armour to be an Echo of one who don't wear full-on armour, no matter how slow Ike was made in Smash.
I can definitely see the logic there but remember that Black Knight is just as fast as Ike in Fire Emblem, so it wouldn't be impossible for him to be an echo.

Always great to see another supporter! Welcome to the team.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace

I mean, it's not that the Black Knight couldn't be unique, it's that his only chance to make it in is as an echo. Dark Samus and Chrom prove echoes can have a few differences, aywyas.

Top Bottom