• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Wait, does Metal Slash kill Metal Slimes easily? And is it a group enemy attack deal?
Single foe, but it does 2 damage or so.

Yangus has Hatchet Man/Executioner, the latter of which always crits if it connects. It's very useful for metal slime enemies, but it's not till further in the game.

frostare

Smash Rookie
I just wanna say, I LOVE the attention Dragon Quest is getting thanks to this rumor. Erdrick, Slime, Ashlynn, Carver... ANYONE that can get Dragon Quest the attention it deserves.

DQIII Hero? I can't think of ANY of the main Heroes who would represent the series better. Hoping he could get ALL Hero skins but... eh. Of course, Slime would have been my 2nd choice.

D

Deleted member

Most surprising is that Sakurai seems to like FF3 as well.

Just like in the SE general thread, I'm rooting for Erdrick. He is my most wanted as DLC, and would buy the DLC pass immediately.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think DQ3 being Sakurai's favorite Dragon Quest game shows that he might go all out on Erdrick if he's DLC.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My biggest hope is Erdrick has a skin that resembles the Dragon Quest VIII Hero.
That would be awesome as DQ8 is my favorite Dragon Quest game. But not holding my breath for that... I’m holding my breath for Smash to have a Dragon Quest character. Rooting for either Slime, Erdrick, or DQ8 Hero.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I know this won't happen if Erdrick is in Smash, but if he had this certain special move from DQ8:

Psyche Up Tension. Basically paying tribute to Dragon Ball.

That would be so dope. Discovering this early in the game was a surprising treat. I wonder if Sakurai actually knows of this mechanic since I heard it was exclusive to the West.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I know this won't happen if Erdrick is in Smash, but if he had this certain special move from DQ8:

Psyche Up Tension. Basically paying tribute to Dragon Ball.

That would be so dope. Discovering this early in the game was a surprising treat. I wonder if Sakurai actually knows of this mechanic since I heard it was exclusive to the West.
The only thing added in the western version was the hero's hair spiking up. That became kind of a standard thing in the Heroes games, with a lot of the original characters having hairstyles specifically designed to look cool when they go into high tension.

I feel like they'd probably go with pep over tension if they wanted that kind of system, though, to tie in with DQXI. That goes double if the Luminary really is an alt costume.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Congratulations Erdrick fans, ya did it.

Looking at his stats, Erdrick doesn’t seem isn’t fast, and has normal pretty standard weight.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hey,
Congratulations Erdrick fans, ya did it.

Looking at his stats, Erdrick doesn’t seem isn’t fast, and has normal pretty standard weight.
Hey, hey hey! We still can't be too careful until we see that trailer confirming such before we celebrate our potential victory!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Hey,
Hey, hey hey! We still can't be too careful until we see that trailer confirming such before we celebrate our potential victory!
With this stuff in the data, meaning HARD EVIDENCE.

He’s coming.

But I’m hoping he comes with his more taller design, aquin to that figure I showed earlier.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
With this stuff in the data, meaning HARD EVIDENCE.

He’s coming.

But I’m hoping he comes with his more taller design, aquin to that figure I showed earlier.
Not quite. The codename does leave some things to the imagination. Could be DQ, any hero, could be from Bravely Default, could be Sephiroth. Could be anyone hidden under that codename. They'd be the only one who needs a hidden codename as the other two are already known officially.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Not quite. The codename does leave some things to the imagination. Could be DQ, any hero, could be from Bravely Default, could be Sephiroth. Could be anyone hidden under that codename. They'd be the only one who needs a hidden codename as the other two are already known officially.
Of course, but with what leakers have been saying before regarding DQ and Erdrick, along with how Brave is also similar to the word Hero in Japan, which is what DQ’s characters are usually referred to...

We’re so close.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So far everything seems to be pointing in favor of Erdrick or at the very least one of the DQ protagonists. I'll be happy with either outcome, though how cool would it be if we got multiple protagonists in the form of alts like the Koopalings?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So far everything seems to be pointing in favor of Erdrick or at the very least one of the DQ protagonists. I'll be happy with either outcome, though how cool would it be if we got multiple protagonists in the form of alts like the Koopalings?
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Though it would be best if it's more than the three the supposed 5Chan leak claimed.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Though it would be best if it's more than the three the supposed 5Chan leak claimed.
Which three were in that leak? I'm assuming Erdrick and the DQVIII hero were in it but I don't know who the other one could be.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Erdrick, Luminary and, weirdly enough, Anlucia.
Hmmm interesting. The first two seem like good picks though I'm not sure about Anlucia. I think it'd be great to have female alts though I feel like the DQVIII protagonist would have priority over Anlucia as I feel he's more iconic. Aside from Erdrick and the DQVIII hero I'm hoping the DQVII hero makes it in somehow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmmm interesting. The first two seem like good picks though I'm not sure about Anlucia. I think it'd be great to have female alts though I feel like the DQVIII protagonist would have priority over Anlucia as I feel he's more iconic. Aside from Erdrick and the DQVIII hero I'm hoping the DQVII hero makes it in somehow.
On my end, I'd love to see Solo and Sofia from DQIV, since they would make the most sense as a male/female combo.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
With this leak, Nintendo/Sakurai better nail the reveal of Erdrick and potential DQ announcements. I think most people are expecting highly of the reveal.

It needs to be a gameplay trailer in order for Erdrick's trailer to be well-received by most in the West.

StormC

Smash Hero
An early congratulations to Erdrick fans! I hope it's true that he's depicted in his superdeformed design, that would be so much fun. Much like I played Classicvania and Persona 5 following the announcements of Simon/Richter and Joker, I'll be getting my hands on Dragon Quest 3 sooner or later.

Can't believe an Akira Toriyama character is (probably) gonna be in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hmmm interesting. The first two seem like good picks though I'm not sure about Anlucia. I think it'd be great to have female alts though I feel like the DQVIII protagonist would have priority over Anlucia as I feel he's more iconic.
I'd assume they'd do that to even out the female alts...
That, and Anlucia's game has Nintendo roots... So I can see why they could choose her over the DQVIII Protag
It'd still be pretty weird, though

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What is the easiest and cheapest way to play DQ3 right now?
If you're looking for a legal outlet, probably the IOS/Android version.

If you're willing to emulate, the SNES version (often considered the best version) has 2 translation patches: one which matches the original NES translation and one which goes for a more accurate translation from the Japanese script.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If you're looking for a legal outlet, probably the IOS/Android version.

If you're willing to emulate, the SNES version (often considered the best version) has 2 translation patches: one which matches the original NES translation and one which goes for a more accurate translation from the Japanese script.
Is the SNES version better overall than the phone version? I'm willing to put down cash for the phone one if it's better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With this leak, Nintendo/Sakurai better nail the reveal of Erdrick and potential DQ announcements. I think most people are expecting highly of the reveal.

It needs to be a gameplay trailer in order for Erdrick's trailer to be well-received by most in the West.
It feels to me that no matter what anyone does, DQ will forever be trapped under FF's huge shadow as far as the West is concerned.

At least Europe cares slightly more about it than the US.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Is the SNES version better overall than the phone version? I'm willing to put down cash for the phone one if it's better.
The SNES version has a less phone-y interface (you know) and animated monster sprites in battle, but it's similar otherwise. The phone version has a new translation with the terminology and style of other modern DQ releases, if that's a priority.

Erdrick, Luminary and, weirdly enough, Anlucia.
Anlucia would be a weird one. It makes sense to have her in as the face of an ongoing game that's been on three and a half Nintendo consoles, but she'd have 0 promotional value for the western market unless there really is a secret DQX localization masterplan, which is doubtful. It'd kind of muddy the waters if their objective really was a big marketing push, and any details about DQX would have to be localized from scratch just for Smash. It'd be rad, though.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Thanks for the replies guys! Although I do wonder, how is DQ3 as an entry point to the series? Is it a good place to start if I want a good impression of the series? Is it a continuation of DQ1 and 2 that will leave me lost. Curious to hear what you guys think because I want to stary in the most optimal place.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks for the replies guys! Although I do wonder, how is DQ3 as an entry point to the series? Is it a good place to start if I want a good impression of the series? Is it a continuation of DQ1 and 2 that will leave me lost. Curious to hear what you guys think because I want to stary in the most optimal place.
Quite the opposite, it takes place before DQ1 and 2, though a particular point in the game is enjoyed best with the knowledge of the former.

D

Deleted member

For DQ, the NES games are not a bad way to start and DQ3 is the best of the NES trilogy. Take into account that there are some elements that ended up getting added in subsequent releases (DQ1 doesnt have a party for example, DQ2 is a bit obtuse at some parts like DQ6, DQ3 introduced the classes and making your party).

That said the only DQ game I would avoid as starting point would be DQ7 considering the length and the pacing being slow especially in the PS version.

Last edited by a moderator:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the best place to start with Dragon Quest is either VIII (for 3DS) or XI (for PC/PS4, or wait for the Switch version). I wouldn't recommend starting with any of the NES games.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
DQIII is a good game, but it's important to keep its age in mind. Newer versions have touched it up, but it's still got the bones of an NES-era game, and things were simpler back then. It's totally fine to go for it if you just gotta know who the heck Erdrick is, but I'd recommend either playing DQI before it (to give the story and gameplay some context) or giving one of the later games a try to get the series' appeal across better.

DQV is the game that made me fall in love with the series, and DQVIII and DQXI are particularly good jumping-on points. XI does have connections to Erdrick (and the Luminary, the hero from that game, might get the Alph treatment depending on which rumours you truck with).

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest is one of those games where I would not, at all, recommend the NES originals, unlike with Castlevania or Sonic where the originals hold up really well (Sonic's not an NES game but you know what I mean). The only major difference you're getting is that it takes longer to beat since the EXP enemies drop is half of what it usually is in remakes, and the money too I think. So you'd just be making the game longer for yourself. Same with Dragon Quest 7, it's incredibly time-consuming on the original PS1 compared to the 3DS remake (not that it still isn't a super huge game).

The SNES games (DQ5 and 6) still hold up alright, though. Even then I'd heartily recommend the DS remakes, or the smartphone versions.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Well, he's no Geno, but I'm really glad that DQ finally got it's place in Smash. If I had it my way we would have gotten DQ instead of FF in the last game.
I hope the stage is really cool, my memory of DQ3 is a little hazy, so i'm not sure what I would imagine, though I've played through DQ1 four times now and know it really well. So I hope it's something in Alefgarde. Maybe something with Dragonlord making an appearance.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Is there any sort of song that "encapsulates" Dragon Quest 3? Because, in all honesty, since the bulk of my DQ experience is with Fortune Street, the first direct song that pops in my head is Ghost Ship from that game, which I take to be at least the initial world map theme.

Anyway, recent events have convinced me that Erdrick is no longer a matter of if, but when: Ken tier.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey, so some people are kicking around the idea of different Dragon Quest protagonists being the 8 different color palettes. When I discussed this with my brother, he brought up a point that it would feel like a waste to do this because then it becomes harder to justify making an Echo Fighter for them. He wants a DQ character and an echo to go along with them.

So let's say they go with the Bowser Jr. route and put in different DQ heroes for each slot. Would anyone fit as an echo?

I've only played 5, 1, 2, and 3 in that order, I'm currently playing 4 on the DS (having a lot of fun, too!), so can anyone more knowledgeable than me explain if it's viable or not to do so?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, so some people are kicking around the idea of different Dragon Quest protagonists being the 8 different color palettes. When I discussed this with my brother, he brought up a point that it would feel like a waste to do this because then it becomes harder to justify making an Echo Fighter for them. He wants a DQ character and an echo to go along with them.

So let's say they go with the Bowser Jr. route and put in different DQ heroes for each slot. Would anyone fit as an echo?

I've only played 5, 1, 2, and 3 in that order, I'm currently playing 4 on the DS (having a lot of fun, too!), so can anyone more knowledgeable than me explain if it's viable or not to do so?
It's... possible.
But it would be kinda clumsy and not especially true to the character.

You could say the same thing for Dark Samus, but... I kinda feel like 3rd party echoes are held to a higher standard.
Of course they could just do the "Ken" thing but I doubt it.
Also it's a bit hampered by the explicit mention of the fighter's pass not including echoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom