• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sorry that you guys didn't get your boi but don't give up just yet. There's still four slots left. ;)

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
Never played Persona but Joker seems cool, I wish DQ XI won best rpg but I knew it wouldn't with Monster Hunter World being there, even if it wasn't Octopath would probably beat it

Well, RIP for tonight, but there's a Dragon Quest XI S stage event on the 22nd if anyone wants to get worked up again.

I'm mostly peeved we didn't get that Builders 2 announcement, or a Metroid trailer. Joker's cool.
Wait, there's a Dragon Quest event on the 22nd? I highly doubt we're gonna get a character announced there, but do you have any more details on the event?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Never played Persona but Joker seems cool, I wish DQ XI won best rpg but I knew it wouldn't with Monster Hunter World being there, even if it wasn't Octopath would probably beat it

Wait, there's a Dragon Quest event on the 22nd? I highly doubt we're gonna get a character announced there, but do you have any more details on the event?
The Persona games are good. I've played a few of them. Of course, I really want Erdrick, but there's still a chance for DQ as DLC

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's part of Jump Festa. They're doing some Builders 2 stuff, some DQ mobile game stuff, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (but nothing else Final Fantasy-related) and a one-hour thing for DQXI S, with Horii, Okamoto, Uchikawa and a "special guest". Probably a voice actor since that's one of the selling points for S, but you can hope it's Sakurai if you want.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don't want to be the bearer of not so great news but... Is this Reggie quote true?
If it is true, then how does it affect the SE character list?

- Sephiroth (deconfirmed, newest game is FFXV)
- Crono (deconfirmed, last game is Chrono Cross)
- Erdrick (deconfirmed, last game is DQXI)
- Luminary (still running)
- Slime (still present in DQXI, still running)
- Geno (technically present in the last game of his "series")

I mean...it always has made sense to me SE wanting to go with the last rep. And if Nintendo is also on that train of thought, things are looking pretty darn good for Luninary.
I just hope we get an Erdrick skin!

What do you think?

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's part of Jump Festa. They're doing some Builders 2 stuff, some DQ mobile game stuff, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (but nothing else Final Fantasy-related) and a one-hour thing for DQXI S, with Horii, Okamoto, Uchikawa and a "special guest". Probably a voice actor since that's one of the selling points for S, but you can hope it's Sakurai if you want.
It would definetely make way more sense to announce a DQ character at a Japanese event, but I dont know if Nintendo is even going to be there as well
Don't want to be the bearer of not so great news but... Is this Reggie quote true?
If it is true, then how does it affect the SE character list?

- Sephiroth (deconfirmed, newest game is FFXV)
- Crono (deconfirmed, last game is Chrono Cross)
- Erdrick (deconfirmed, last game is DQXI)
- Luminary (still running)
- Slime (still present in DQXI, still running)
- Geno (technically present in the last game of his "series")

I mean...it always has made sense to me SE wanting to go with the last rep. And if Nintendo is also on that train of thought, things are looking pretty darn good for Luninary.
I just hope we get an Erdrick skin!

What do you think?
"New to the series" just means that the franchises the characters are from have never been represented in Smash, I think. Not that they have to he from the newest game in their series.

Last edited by a moderator:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't think Erdrick is deconfirmed. I just think this makes it more likely that the Luminary will be an alt costume. Or vice versa and Erdrick is the alt.

Or we go back to my original theory and a bunch of Heroes are alts. We'll have to wait and see.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Here's exactly what they said:
"These are going to be characters that are new to the series... characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate..."
It doesn't actually say what series they're new to. It could be that's what they meant. I doubt it. I think that they were just reiterating that there weren't going to be any veterans for people watching the Game Awards who weren't keeping up to date with the game. It is, after all, an extended advertisement.
https://youtu.be/7XXN8QVbSOw?t=182

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I made an attempt at putting together a moveset concept for Erdrick. What do you guys think?
I like the idea of incorporating different weapons into Erdrick's moveset, but with three Links in the game I think boomerangs are verboten, especially on sword-and-board guys. Getting some party members in on the final smash would definitely be great, and I'll take anything over the obvious plain Gigaslash.

For my part, I'd want to see as many spells thrown into Erdrick's (or any hero's) moveset as possible. Boom has obvious application as an up smash and Sizz wouldn't be hard to fit in somewhere, but I'd even like to see some of the weird utility spells like Kaclang or Poof. If it was Erdrick specifically and not a Koopalings situation, it'd also be cute to do something with the key items from DQIII, like the Sphere of Light or the Rainbow Drop. I have no idea what, but I feel like Sakurai could find an application. Work a little more history and RPG flavour in there, y'know?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like the idea of incorporating different weapons into Erdrick's moveset, but with three Links in the game I think boomerangs are verboten, especially on sword-and-board guys. Getting some party members in on the final smash would definitely be great, and I'll take anything over the obvious plain Gigaslash.

For my part, I'd want to see as many spells thrown into Erdrick's (or any hero's) moveset as possible. Boom has obvious application as an up smash and Sizz wouldn't be hard to fit in somewhere, but I'd even like to see some of the weird utility spells like Kaclang or Poof. If it was Erdrick specifically and not a Koopalings situation, it'd also be cute to do something with the key items from DQIII, like the Sphere of Light or the Rainbow Drop. I have no idea what, but I feel like Sakurai could find an application. Work a little more history and RPG flavour in there, y'know?
I didn't even think of using key items, that could potentially be really cool actually. What would you replace the side B with?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even think of using key items, that could potentially be really cool actually. What would you replace the side B with?
Since I'm unimaginative, I'd probably move Zap onto side B and put something else on down B. I've seen people suggest working in Tension or Pep from later games, or you could do some kind of Counter or Revenge variation with Kaclang. Or have him pick up a slime?

My personal highly impractical pet idea is to have him summon party members like a pseudo-Phantom Slash, cycling through Warrior, Priest and Mage with a cute little overworld sprite next to Erdrick's portrait to tell you who's coming out next. See, it's completely worth doing three whole 3D models for one (1) special move because you could totally put them in his victory animations too! And maybe his final smash!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since I'm unimaginative, I'd probably move Zap onto side B and put something else on down B. I've seen people suggest working in Tension or Pep from later games, or you could do some kind of Counter or Revenge variation with Kaclang. Or have him pick up a slime?

My personal highly impractical pet idea is to have him summon party members like a pseudo-Phantom Slash, cycling through Warrior, Priest and Mage with a cute little overworld sprite next to Erdrick's portrait to tell you who's coming out next. See, it's completely worth doing three whole 3D models for one (1) special move because you could totally put them in his victory animations too! And maybe his final smash!
I really love that idea actually. Warrior could do a heavy axe slash, Mage could cast Crackle, and Priest could cast Swoosh.
Crackle would be a couple bolts of ice shot forward, and Swoosh would be a small, forward moving gornado.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, with how smash handles most movesets, using one main weapon barring specials, they'd have to get pretty creative for a Dragon Quest hero. Going off of DQ8 hero, we know how versatile they are even going as far as fisticuffs and switching weapon types on the fly so I think smash could get away with him switching weapons so often, but sadly idk if they'd do that for erdrick.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I still think Vergeben is not wrong about Square Enix character.
He is 100% not lying, considering my NoA contact also heard an Enix name floating around NoA. That just means something is up with Enix right now. The fact that every other leaker has heard Enix names, too.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
So about Dragon Quest music, the issue is that the original orchestrated pieces are expensive or not possible to get into games right, so they use midis?
How would remixes affect this, do they bypass this rule by technically being different from the original?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
So about Dragon Quest music, the issue is that the original orchestrated pieces are expensive or not possible to get into games right, so they use midis?
How would remixes affect this, do they bypass this rule by technically being different from the original?
There's no magic loophole. DQ's composer (who owns the rights to all his music) is just a fussy old cheapskate, and he'd probably say no to anything but basic midis, and still charge an arm and a leg for those. I don't think the music complications are in danger of keeping DQ out of Smash like I've seen suggested (the real obstacle is Square Enix's apathy), but expect a repeat of the FF7 situation. Few songs, no remixes, no live recordings.

I just want Hero's Challenge. Even a bad rendition of Hero's Challenge is still pretty good.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't want to get peoples' hopes up here, but a recent rumor just showed up on 2channel with info regarding Persona 5 that also claims Erdrick is in.

Here's what the rumor says about the Erdrick DLC:
Good find!
While I'm not getting my hopes up, it's surprising, and heartwarming, that DQ characters have been steadily picking up Steam as possible DLC candidates throughout the internet.
Still a long road to go until the Smash community takes it seriously. But we're getting there!

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Not a chance. A text leak is a text leak, even if it's Japanese. Fun to see DQ show up in some of these, and the mention of overseas marketing is interesting, but it's not worth fussing over.

I hope there really is a Switch version of Persona 5 in the works. Not just because that'd make a DQ character seem a bit more likely as a DQXI S cross-promotion, but (embarrassingly) to give me an excuse to finally get around to playing P5.

D

Deleted member

Minik

Smash Journeyman
About the leak, I honestly find it weird them doing both male/female alts AND DQ11 protag, smash usually does like 1 or the other with those things. Would that mean 2 Male Erdrick alts, 2 Female and 4 DQ11 hero ones?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's very strange but if that's what it takes both include Erdrick and the latest, most popular DQ game's protagonist in the West, then I'll be fine with it. Just don't do the Alph thing and give both sets the same idle animations.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It's very strange but if that's what it takes both include Erdrick and the latest, most popular DQ game's protagonist in the West, then I'll be fine with it. Just don't do the Alph thing and give both sets the same idle animations.
I think non-echoes HAVE to have same ingame stuff like taunts and idles, its like the only reason Daisy is separate. They can have unique victory poses though as we've seen with inkling or pokemon trainer.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I totally misinterpreted that when I read it earlier and thought it was just saying Luminary and Anlucia were two of the alt palettes. Oops.

I guess those characters make sense, with XI as the most recent and X ongoing. I like Anlucia's design a lot, but having western marketing as a focus and including the face of the MMO that'll never come out here would be a weird combo. I wonder if they'd change her name.

I think non-echoes HAVE to have same ingame stuff like taunts and idles, its like the only reason Daisy is separate. They can have unique victory poses though as we've seen with inkling or pokemon trainer.
Having identical animations wouldn't hurt these three (four?) particular characters too badly, but I don't think any rule about what makes an echo would keep them from getting unique animations either. If the dev team or SE felt like it was important and they had the time, I don't think they'd let any precedent stop them.

If they did all share animations, I'd just hope that Luminary being kind of a sad sack wouldn't hold back the others from being expressive.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think they do that just so it doesn't change the gameplay based on the alt you're using, because even changing an idle animation changes gameplay slightly.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
Oh, I thought the Anlucia and Luminary alt it was talking about was just colour? It's kinda unclear what they meant though. I think it's more likely it meant colours, I don't think we're gonna get 4 different characters in one.
I'm really really happy that a DQ rep is looking more and more likely though, I'm hearing Erdrick talked about a ton more lately
also unrelated but geez the people on the square thread are really against a DQ character getting in, huh

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I been doing allot of thinking Erdrick in smash ultimate I'm in to make my friend happy. I support Erdrick in smash ultimate.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Even if the leak isn't true, people are really believing in Erdrick! That's pretty incredible for a character lots of people in the west don't even know about. It's a big boost for his support at least!

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Won't happen and it shouldn't happen. Anime-influenced characters should NEVER be in Smash. It's like asking Joker from Persona 5 to be in Smash, not gonna happen. Plus DQ's artstyle would never mesh well with other characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Fortune Street, which has Mario characters and...wait....

I'm down for any DQ character despite never playing one of the DQ games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Won't happen and it shouldn't happen. Anime-influenced characters should NEVER be in Smash. It's like asking Joker from Persona 5 to be in Smash, not gonna happen. Plus DQ's artstyle would never mesh well with other characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Fortune Street, which has Mario characters and...wait....

I'm down for any DQ character despite never playing one of the DQ games.
Oh, you're a funny one aren't you?

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
So Vergeben is saying more about a DQ character, and considering how much he's been right in the past things are looking better and better for Erdrick
With both Vergeben and the guy leaking that Granblue fighting game that was announced yesterday both claiming Erdrick in, I don't wanna get my hopes up too much incase they're wrong but I think he's a lot more likely now.
Here's a link to a twitter post with Vergeben talking about Erdrick
Also, him saying he wouldnt play like a FE swordsman makes me happy lol, glad to know he's a supporter

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm in. I'm looking forward to the Switch release next year and would enjoy having content from this series in. Hopefully Square will be more cooperative with this than it was with Final Fantasy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I watched Tim Rogers' video review on Dragon Quest XI. Initially I avoided it even though I love Tim Rogers, because I thought it might have some spoilers, but when a friend told me it didn't I changed my mind.

The video is actually an incredible summation of why we love Dragon Quest, and rejections of the usual criticisms ("it's old-fashioned" "the plot isn't surprising" etc.), and why he considers DQ 11 to be the best one.

If any one of you reading this thread is on the fence about Dragon Quest, give this video a watch, because if this can't change your mind, then nothing will.

My current goal is to play through some of a Dragon Quest game nightly until the Switch version of this game comes out. I'm currently working on DQ4 for the DS, after which I'll replay 5, then start 6, 7, and 8. I have to skip 9 and 10 because the former is multiplayer and no one around me wants to play DQ with me, and the latter was never released over here in the West. So once 8 is done I'll play DQ 11.

D

Deleted member

I watched Tim Rogers' video review on Dragon Quest XI. Initially I avoided it even though I love Tim Rogers, because I thought it might have some spoilers, but when a friend told me it didn't I changed my mind.

The video is actually an incredible summation of why we love Dragon Quest, and rejections of the usual criticisms ("it's old-fashioned" "the plot isn't surprising" etc.), and why he considers DQ 11 to be the best one.

If any one of you reading this thread is on the fence about Dragon Quest, give this video a watch, because if this can't change your mind, then nothing will.

My current goal is to play through some of a Dragon Quest game nightly until the Switch version of this game comes out. I'm currently working on DQ4 for the DS, after which I'll replay 5, then start 6, 7, and 8. I have to skip 9 and 10 because the former is multiplayer and no one around me wants to play DQ with me, and the latter was never released over here in the West. So once 8 is done I'll play DQ 11.
Good stuff. If you can ever get people for DQ9 it's an absolute blast, but even singleplayer there is a ton to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom