• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
i'm confused by what the leaker means by "Slime appears on screen with a skill". assist trophy? part of erdrick's moveset? taunt? wish the original post was a bit more clear about that.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
i'm confused by what the leaker means by "Slime appears on screen with a skill". assist trophy? part of erdrick's moveset? taunt? wish the original post was a bit more clear about that.
If I had to guess it would be moveset. Probably a special move.

Here's nice fan art of Erdrick!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much at all about Erdick (was always more a slime/geno supporter, but that doesn't really matter), how would he fight? Not saying he has limited potential or "would be a clone of ___________", but genuinely curious to how he fights.

D

Deleted member

I am behind the times and unsure of whats been discussed; I also just dropped this in the DLC speculation thread, but I found this earlier
https://screenrant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-second-dlc-character/

If true, it would be exactly as I thought earlier, since
the Luminary earns the title of 'Erdrick' at the end of the post-story, I thought that if Erdrick was included, Luminary could be an Alt, which according to this 'leak' is exactly the case!

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much at all about Erdick (was always more a slime/geno supporter, but that doesn't really matter), how would he fight? Not saying he has limited potential or "would be a clone of ___________", but genuinely curious to how he fights.
He's a sword and shield guy with magic. He can equip other weapons like whips, boomerangs, clubs and spears, but the sword's his trademark and probably what they'd go with. He's from one of the older games in the series, but he'd probably get some of the fancy/magic sword and shield techniques that were introduced later on.

For spells that could fit into Smash, he's got fireballs, lightning (more like Pikachu's thunder than Robin's thunder), explosions, sleep, healing, turning into a metal statue, and flight (think Dedede's up special, not floating). The Zap line of spells is the trademark of DQ's hero characters and Erdrick was the first one to have it, so that's 100% guaranteed to make it in.

There are some other options, like using Tension or Pep as a Limit-like system, or having him summon monsters or party members or something. If you believe the rumour, there's a slime involved somewhere.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So uh... Is everyone over at that other thread?
What are your feelings regarding the leak?

I'm trying to stay as realistic as possible, and cool-headed.
I mean, what are the odds that the leak is wrong, or we're getting red-herringed?

And what are the chances that it's true?
Is this like the Kencineroar leak, where ir was heavily backed up by the insiders?

D

Deleted member

So uh... Is everyone over at that other thread?
What are your feelings regarding the leak?

I'm trying to stay as realistic as possible, and cool-headed.
I mean, what are the odds that the leak is wrong, or we're getting red-herringed?

And what are the chances that it's true?
Is this like the Kencineroar leak, where ir was heavily backed up by the insiders?
It's worth taking note of in my opinion for the fact that *so many* insiders are backing each other up on Erdrick, but for now all we can do is wait and see.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It could be a case of the Grinch leak where insiders were right, or another Joker VGA case where they're wrong. Could go either way so don't bet your chips unless you really feel faithful and/or lucky.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm iffy on all these ~insiders~, but the number of people backing up Erdrick is... not convincing, but encouraging. I'm optimistic, but there've been so many curveballs with the DLC so far that it'd be silly to get too invested. Fingers crossed, though.

The big thing that puts a damper on my expectations is Cloud being such an afterthought. Nintendo has a little more invested in Dragon Quest than Final Fantasy, it's true, but it's still tough to believe that Square Enix would make a fuss about DQ or anything else while neglecting their flagship.

Though as someone who didn't buy Smash 4's DLC and is only just playing it for the first time: Midgar is a really cool stage, and I'd love to see a DQ stage come out that well.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I started to replay through Dragon Quest III about a month ago and I'm half way through the game because I've also been playing though some other games (Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest VIII). Anyways, I never really though much about Erdrick in smash, but now I'm actually really interested in his potential as a fighter. He/She could use weapons outside of a sword that they can equip in DQ, and they could include magic into his moveset, but so his moveset isn't based around it like Robin's is. I've been a big fan of Dragon Quest for awhile and I personally think that Erdrick is the best way to represent the franchise, as he is a recurring and important character.

In regards to the leak, I personally don't believe it, but I think because of the growing popularity of Dragon Quest, he/she is still one of the more likely Square Enix reps since I'm not expecting another Final Fantasy Character. I also read in an article somewhere that SE is considering a DQ III, but DQ XII is a bigger priority, but I don't know if that helps his chances any. Probably not.

To be honest, I just found out this thread existed. I'm ashamed as an Erdrick supporter.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Really hoping to see this on DQ XI S.
Nothing was said about the soundtrack on the event, not even mentioning an Erdrick Smash reveal, right?

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I'm late to the party (have been busy with school semester and life and such things). Mark me down as a major Erdrick supporter! (I'd spent most of my life knowing him/her as Loto) I've been a fan of the series since I was a lad when the GBC remakes of 1-3 were released. DQ3 is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Move set ideas: overall I'd like to see Erdrick being a properly balanced close-range swordsman and magic caster (i.e. a balance between, say, Marth and Robin). I know the spell names were overhauled but I'm just going to use the ones I'm most familiar with.

Neutral B: icebolt (I know fireball would be slightly more iconic, but there are enough fire-related neutral specials in the game as it is). I could see this being a low damage and knockback, high hitstun combo starter type move.

Down B: Surround/ healmore. If surround, this could be a mashable stun move that effects the area around the user. If healmore, it could act like a straight-forward healing move with strong lag, used mainly as an alternative to chasing down opponents who are knocked away.

Side B: stopspell or ironize. Stopspell could be a projectile that briefly disables special moves. It'd have to be difficult altogether to land or work but could be a powerful gimping tool. Ironize would be neat as a temporary defense buff that could be used on the user or shot out and land on an ally in team matches.

Up B: Return. Would it be busted if this move teleported Erdrick to the last grounded spot he or she were on? Maybe it'd have to travel in a direct line meaning low-recoveries don't work or it otherwise has to charge for a while and could be distrupted more easily than other recoveries? Just trying to spitball a unique move.

Final Smash: BeDragon???

Other thoughts: While the idea of having each alt be a different protagonist from the series sounds appealing, I don't think it'd be the right choice ultimately. I think you'd have to stick with Erdrick, 4 male 4 female, color palettes based on other playable characters from the game or series. Other characters from the series could be represented with spirits and assist trophies. Slime especially should be the go-to assist trophy if there could only be one.

Another idea: MP meter. Make Erdricks specials quite strong but with limited use per stock. Maybe an opposite of Lucario where he/she is really strong at the beginning of a stock and becomes neutered if drawn out for too long.

Stage: Zoma's castle, surely.

Music: No question about it. Easy and hands-down:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hyNbaHL6EbM&t=80s

But also:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tL74zh5WNh8

And:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bvtlyD7tZTI

D

Deleted member

View attachment 184537

Got new stuff, any tips I should know going into DQ8?
Best advice is to not put too much thought into your initial class lineup at the start. Later you can change everyone (except the protagonist's) class while retaining their stats and spells from their previous class.
So, if you make a Priest into a Warrior they'll still have all the healing spells they were left with.
Also, make sure you have at least one Sage later on.

Edit: ...I misread, I thought you typed DQ3 LOL
It's been a while since I last played DQ8... I can't think of much advice for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I've been growing more interested in this Erdrick fellow. I played DQIX as my first and only serious DQ installment, but 3 sounds keen.

Any advice?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 184537

Got new stuff, any tips I should know going into DQ8? I plan to play this game next year.
There are two new party members in the 3DS version, and one of them is optional; you have to complete the monster arena side activity to get him. The monster battling is fun on its own, but if you just want Italian Mr. Satan ASAP, don't be shy about looking up a guide.

I've been growing more interested in this Erdrick fellow. I played DQIX as my first and only serious DQ installment, but 3 sounds keen.

Any advice?
I'd suggest playing a modern (SFC, GBC or smartphone) version of DQ1 first. It's short and so simple it's kind of adorable, and it gives some context to the back half of DQIII. A lot of the reason Erdrick's so important is because of what a big deal they make of him in the original game.

Don't worry about DQII, though. It's OK, but the first game's enough to give you the idea.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 184537

Got new stuff, any tips I should know going into DQ8? I plan to play this game next year.
Min-max on your characters' weapon choices. Ex. If you want a hero who uses swords, just invest your points into swords and courage. Don't make the mistake I did of splitting points 50/50 between 2 weapon types like I did.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I just want to throw out that in my dreams, if Erdrick gets in, we are going to hear the classic sound effects when he/she attacks. Obviously standard attacks, tilts, and aerials would have the rising bleeps of a DQ attack, specials would have the spell cast sound, and smashes could have the critical hit swooshes. It makes me more excited to think than it should, but there you have it.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I just want to throw out that in my dreams, if Erdrick gets in, we are going to hear the classic sound effects when he/she attacks. Obviously standard attacks, tilts, and aerials would have the rising bleeps of a DQ attack, specials would have the spell cast sound, and smashes could have the critical hit swooshes. It makes me more excited to think than it should, but there you have it.
Ooo, I never even thought about that but I'd love that! Considering how G&W has something similar in a lot of his moves, I think it's possible! Plus, Sakurai has said he's a big DQ fan and I could see him putting in a small detail like that but I don't think it'll happen (not a deal breaker or anything though lol)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Ooo, I never even thought about that but I'd love that! Considering how G&W has something similar in a lot of his moves, I think it's possible! Plus, Sakurai has said he's a big DQ fan and I could see him putting in a small detail like that but I don't think it'll happen (not a deal breaker or anything though lol)
Not just Mr. Game & Watch, but Ryu and Ken still have their Street Fighter 2 sound effects when connecting attacks, and many of Cloud's sound effects are taken directly from the original PS1 Final Fantasy 7. It's most obvious with Mega Man and Pac-Man since neither of them speak, but I'd be fine whether or not Erdrick spoke as long as we got those sweet Dragon Quest sound effects.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The traditional sound effects are a safe assumption. Maybe they'd be overlooked if this was the wild west of 64 or Melee, but it'd be weird for a recent Smash game to not include that kind of detail.

I'm most curious what we'd get for a victory theme. There's the standard victory tone (maybe transitioning into Traveling with Friends like the Heroes games?), the level-up jingle, maybe a snippet of the overture...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
There are two new party members in the 3DS version, and one of them is optional; you have to complete the monster arena side activity to get him. The monster battling is fun on its own, but if you just want Italian Mr. Satan ASAP, don't be shy about looking up a guide.
Who are the two new party members in the 3DS version? I'm currently undergoing a lot of training to fight Dholmagus at the moment.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Who are the two new party members in the 3DS version? I'm currently undergoing a lot of training to fight Dholmagus at the moment.
Red and Morrie. They're both pretty powerful, but they're not available until late in the game and they definitely feel like a bonus. They don't really affect the story or anything. They've got some cute things to say in party chat, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I support Erdrick, if only to block Sora and all the young, beardless and lacquered RPG heroes (Lloyd Irving). Dragon Quest 3 is the second favorite game of Japaneses after Persona 5 : https://www.dualshockers.com/persona-5-best-game-time-famitsu/
The fact that Dragon Quest III, a 30 year old game, is with 4 other triple-A games for the top 5 list really shows how much staying power the game has in Japan. It's kinda crazy.

Calane

Smash Ace
The traditional sound effects are a safe assumption. Maybe they'd be overlooked if this was the wild west of 64 or Melee, but it'd be weird for a recent Smash game to not include that kind of detail.

I'm most curious what we'd get for a victory theme. There's the standard victory tone (maybe transitioning into Traveling with Friends like the Heroes games?), the level-up jingle, maybe a snippet of the overture...
I imagine that we'd get the "victory tone" followed by the "level-up jingle" playing directly afterwards. That's what I would do, anyway.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Clocked in 5 hours into the game. It took time to adjust, but I am pretty addicted to this game now. I told myself I would play this next year, but man, haha!

Edit:

I could use some help on DQ8.

What would be the best weapon for Angelo to equip for battles? Currently, I am using skill allocation for Charisma, but I am being more careful about who I choose for partner stuff, since future partners could excel in one weapon type. I have Boomerangs for the Hero, Axe for Yangus, and Staff for Jessica. I think rapier is ideal for Angelo, but I am unsure. Bow looks tempting with the MP skill, but I am unsure how useful it is with my team set-up.

And at what point will I be able to unlock chests? Currently, I am in Pickham.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Clocked in 5 hours into the game. It took time to adjust, but I am pretty addicted to this game now. I told myself I would play this next year, but man, haha!

Edit:

I could use some help on DQ8.

What would be the best weapon for Angelo to equip for battles? Currently, I am using skill allocation for Charisma, but I am being more careful about who I choose for partner stuff, since future partners could excel in one weapon type. I have Boomerangs for the Hero, Axe for Yangus, and Staff for Jessica. I think rapier is ideal for Angelo, but I am unsure. Bow looks tempting with the MP skill, but I am unsure how useful it is with my team set-up.

And at what point will I be able to unlock chests? Currently, I am in Pickham.
Angelo wants swords for metal slash and to boost his offensive spells to make up for his terrible skill growth. Then you do Staves and charisma for support spells and finally fisticuffs for thin air. You should be able to unlock chests with the thief key. Which is alchemized with a bronze knife and an iron nail.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I haven't used Angelo with bows so I don't know how good his set-up is, but I used rapiers on him just fine. My favorite team set up is Hero-Spear, Yangus- Axe, Jessica- Whip, and Angelo- rapier. As far as unlocking chests go, you get the thief key first which you can make via alchemy.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Angelo wants swords for metal slash and to boost his offensive spells to make up for his terrible skill growth. Then you do Staves and charisma for support spells and finally fisticuffs for thin air. You should be able to unlock chests with the thief key. Which is alchemized with a bronze knife and an iron nail.
Wait, does Metal Slash kill Metal Slimes easily? And is it a group enemy attack deal?

I haven't used Angelo with bows so I don't know how good his set-up is, but I used rapiers on him just fine. My favorite team set up is Hero-Spear, Yangus- Axe, Jessica- Whip, and Angelo- rapier. As far as unlocking chests go, you get the thief key first which you can make via alchemy.
Hmm.. I will go check if I have that recipe, because I check every bookshelf I find in every town.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Wait, does Metal Slash kill Metal Slimes easily? And is it a group enemy attack deal?

Hmm.. I will go check if I have that recipe, because I check every bookshelf I find in every town.
Yes, it does 2 damage to metal slimes but no it does not attack groups.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, with rumor mill centering on Erdrick, lately, I'm just here to say that I support his/her inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom