• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I remember paying near 100 for Donkey Kong Country 2. I remember because my parents were pissed for days that they spent that much. Luckily, Donkey Kong Country 2 was the only game I owned for a loooooong, looong time....until I got an N64...XD

PND

Smash Champion
I was living in Quebec at the time, it could have been higher costs due to localization.

I actually got DKC2 for free, I won it on Video & Arcade: Top 10. Yeah *****es, I was on that show. And won DKC2. Get some.

.Marik

is a social misfit
You people were ******** back in the day.

Or just had incredibly rich parents. :\

Also, I may be getting a job at Domino's Pizza, I have an interview on Monday.

I remember the good old days of Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot.

God those games were amazing. Crash Team Racing anyone?

Haven't seen that sh*t in forever.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
nor have I played any Zelda game except Phantom Hourglass
what the hell is wrong with you man

but i havent played any FF game EVER.

i think ill try it out soon, but theres like 13 games and theres like 6 different versions of FF7, so i dunno where to start lol

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Forget FF7, it's not even good.

If you really want to play a FF, then play 6... maybe 4.

FF games aren't for everyone though, I even get bored with some of the better ones. I just enjoy the story, but really they could have been in book/tv show form and I would have enjoyed them just the same. Gameplay is not something to play RPG's for unfortunately. The best gameplay I've seen in an RPG was probably ToS... but then Dawn of the New World came along and was a steaming pile of s***. I suppose Eternal Sonata's gameplay was ok too.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Forget FF7, it's not even good.
This.

10these.

Final Fantasy Tactics / Final Fantasy X are the two best FFs in my honest opinion. The one had phenominal gameplay, and the other had a wicked story + voice acting that actually let you connect with the characters.

FF6 aka FF3 in the states/canada is probably "better" than those two, another phenominal game.

Though... The greatest FF style rpg you will EVER ****ing play....

Chrono Trigger.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Tactics was about grinding to get the jobs you wanted.

The best Final Fantasy game would probabily be Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US), I mean come on, Kefka is the most evil ***** you can find with his laughter, he also looks like a shemale.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Kefka was the first real attempt by a video game company at making a villain who actually had to work, plot, and struggle in order to attain his power unlike the cliche villains who have godlike powers and want to kill things just because that's who they are (hello ExDeath). Likewise he was also one of the first main villains to have a well ironed-out background story to explain his origins.

For this, Kefka and FF6 will always have a place in my heart as a video gamer :)

(This is completely ignoring the fact that FF6 had many other great aspects, like a playable cast of 14 permanent characters.)

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Getting Shadow was just a tard... so I just let the ******* die on the Floating Continent ^.^ Relm FTW!

But really he was the first? Wow.... the more I know =D

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Kefka is the earliest example of such a villain that I know of anyway and I've read numerous reviews that cite him as such. Most villains back then were just generic bad***es or whiny emo b****es (unfortunately the latter cliche villain showed up as the main villain in the very next FF).

Shadow wasn't even hard to get - you just have to wait at the end of the floating continent until he shows up right before it collapses. Also if you're a fan of Relm you may be interested to know that there are very important ties between her and Shadow >_>

PND

Smash Champion
Although 7 was overrated, I still think it was REALLY, REALLY good. But not the masterpiece it's made out to be.

1 - 3 - Good games for the time, but archaic now.

4 - Good, my first FF. Really enjoyed it.
5 - I love the job system in this entry. Solid game. Bartz/Butz was a pimp.
6 - Fantastic, best FF in my opinion. Edgar and Sabin are two of my favorite characters, the dynamic between them is awesome. And Locke / Celes are awesome. Most of the other characters are awesome, but not as much as those 4 IMO.

7 - See my opening line. The characters, save for Cloud, were colorful, dynamic, and interesting. I liked every one of them, even Cait Sith.
8 - I got to the third disc and it was scratched. I never beat it, but I enjoyed what I played. I don't think I could give a fair review of it.
9 - My favorite of the 3D FFs. It went back to a classic FF themed setting, and had some good characters. Not on par with some of FF's early works, some of the characters instantly became classics while others were forgettable. I loved the ability system and the plot.

10 - I hate Tidus. He ruined this game for me. Him, and Blitzball. However Wakka is Bender, so I can't stay TOO mad. I loved the other characters, especially the Yuna / Lulu / Wakka dynamic, but Tidus just ruined it so hard for me.
11 - LOL
12 - Crap. They went for a "more interactive battle system" but it was really just a ripoff of MMO. Like, I flanked up behind the Giant T-Rex, but he instantly turns and attacks me with a slow *** move. So I run away, far away, but it still hits me. WTF? The characters had no development, didn't grow, had poor backstories, and genereally were just bland and uninteresting. The world was nice, though.

And Tactics was incredible. Possibly tied with FF6 in my eyes.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
8 is the best one for sure, but basically every FF was good except 11, 12

Tactics close 2nd

7/9 3rds

All were amazing though, can't ask for better single player games than FF

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
11 Gets unnecessary hate just because it's an MMO and that's not what most FF players are looking for. For an MMO 11 was actually pretty good. 8 could have been great if not for the horrible 'draw' system for magic. The link system (or whatever attaching spells to your stats was called) was really cool, but unfortunately it couldn't really exist without the stupidly tedious draw system. I put down 12 after like 20 minutes... couldn't stand it. I later watched one of my friends play it near the end of the game and I could stand that even less.

7 is only hyped because it got more mainstream attention than it's predecessors due largely to being the first 3D RPG from a well-known developer. Because of this, 7 is the first FF a lot of people played and it holds some nostalgia to them. The hype also created a large community of players who could share their fondness of the game which in turn would lead to even more hype for the game. Nearly everyone I've encountered who actually played the early FF games before 7 was released preferred them over it (especially 6, and to a lesser extent 4). 7 has its merits, but as someone who has been playing FF since FF1 on NES, I have to say 6 takes the cake.

Honestly though, FF games can get really boring unless you are interested in the story, and this is true of almost any RPG. RPG's generally challenge your mental ability only minimally (spam attack, use potions on people who are hurt can get you through most RPG's, especially FF's), and don't challenge technical ability whatsoever.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'm jus a hardcore nintendo fan, so I have an automatic disgust for any game made on a non nintendo system, that being said the only FF games I would play would be the ones made on GBA/DS/GCN/Wii/apparently NES.

I own every zelda game except 2 (minish cap and oracle of seasons) if anyone is willing to sell these to me, lemme know, preferably a pm

I play so much **** nintendo!!!!

Mario (mario sports/ mario kart/ mario party/ etc)
Metroid
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Wario ware/ wario land

basically all the main franchises

I also respect sega and love sonic games. So many ppl think sonic adv 2 is the best game :laugh:

I own every single north american released nintendo system including the virtual boy :chuckle:

man i'm so cool

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm jus a hardcore nintendo fan, so I have an automatic disgust for any game made on a non nintendo system, that being said the only FF games I would play would be the ones made on GBA/DS/GCN/Wii/apparently NES.

I own every zelda game except 2 (minish cap and oracle of seasons) if anyone is willing to sell these to me, lemme know, preferably a pm

Metroid
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Wario ware/ wario land

I also respect sega and love sonic games. So many ppl think sonic adv 2 is the best game :laugh:

I own every single north american released nintendo system including the virtual boy :chuckle:

man i'm so cool
Get a PS3.

Your missing out on teh Metal Geeeeeeeeeeeeear.

And Cyan is geh for missing out on the two greatest games of all time (MM and OOT)

PND

Smash Champion
LttP > OoT/MQ > LA = MM > Z1> TP > MC > WW = OoA/S > Z2:AoL >>>>>> PH = CDi Zelda

Pretty much trufax. Props to whoever can decipher that mess of acronyms.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I'm jus a hardcore nintendo fan, so I have an automatic disgust for any game made on a non nintendo system,
What a simple, stupid and small minded way to look at video games. I feel bad for you, do you know how many amazing games you will never play with such a self limiting way of thinking?

Oh and on topic, its no secret I think FF Tactics is the best FF game, hell... Tactics is my favourite game ever.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
What a simple, stupid and small minded way to look at video games. I feel bad for you, do you know how many amazing games you will never play with such a self limiting way of thinking?
While this sounds harsh, I have to totally agree. I'm guilty of being a Nintendo fanboy when I was a much younger child, but eventually I realized the BS I was spouting just to try to justify myself and defend a multi-billion dollar corporation that didn't need my help to begin with. Video game companies did everything they could to manipulate their consumers into devoted fanatics and twist them into verbal wars with each other (they probably still do, I don't pay attention anymore after realizing how stupid the entire concept is) just to spread the word and get more people to use their systems. It paralleled religion - and was almost as bad.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
A friend of mine got a PS3 the other day and from what I've seen, MGS4 looks REALLY good. I really want to start playing through either MGS2 or 3, but I need to finish playing Digimon World 2 first heh

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
LttP > OoT/MQ > LA = MM > Z1> TP > MC > WW = OoA/S > Z2:AoL >>>>>> PH = CDi Zelda

Pretty much trufax. Props to whoever can decipher that mess of acronyms.
Line to the Past > Ocarina of Time/Master Quest > Link's Awakening > Majora's Mask > Zelda the first game > Twilight Princess > Minish Cap > Wind Waker > Oracle of Ages/Seasons > Zelda the second game (Zelda: Adventure of Link) >>>>>>> Phantom Hourglasss = CDi versions of Zelda games.

I loved Majora's Mask, it was REALLY REALLY EPIC, so was Ocarina of Time... thought I haven't played the NES Link games, CDi versions and Gamecube version...

Mikey7

Smash Lord

Metroid
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Wario ware/ wario land

man i'm so cool
No PS1 or 2.....especially 2........you've missed out on so much how can you call yourself a person.............................

Iliad

Smash Lord
FFX is the only game to have a profound effect on me. I'm not saying it beats FF6/FFT for story / gameplay, but it's just the one i've enjoyed the most over the years. Hence it's my favourite FF.

FFX-2 was bad. >.> I only played it for the ending cause I wanted ****ing closure.

FF8 is ******** hard. The story up until the last boss was tooo good and too fun. But once you hit the last boss it was just so aggrevating I stopped playing it.

FF6/FFT are technically speaking the two best FFs, and IIRC, FF6/Chrono Trigger are considered the two greatest RPGs of all time.

As for zelda...

A friend awakened me into a new outlook on majora's mask, so I could tie that with OoT.

OoT will always be my favourite Zelda. The one Zelda that pioneered ****ing everything you will ever see from now on in a third person puzzle/action game. LttP is my fave of the old school top down variety, but i'd say my third overall.

I ****ing adore Zelda and Chrono Trigger which is why i QQ about no Crono in brawl, and Link sucking balls in every installment of Smash.

On a side note. Ike should look like this in brawl

tha_carter

Smash Ace
only good nintendo system was 64. Lots of good exclusive titles. So yeah, it would suck if you only stuck to nintendo. ahaha especially during the GC era.

i do miss genisis though

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I liked X-2 alot : p I can honestly say that I LOVED FF1 all the way til 10-2.

11 was a subpar MMO, I've played my fair share of MMOs - but meh maybe its just because I had to compare WoW and FF 11 together...clearly WoW wins by alot.

12 had shallow characters and a shallow story.................awful. I have hopes for 13 having deeper characters + storyline for sure : p

Also Avarice about the draw system in FF8: the only way its tedious is if you do it all in 1 shot. I never sat there for an hour drawing, I just drew spells as I went along...so idk I guess I missed that tedious part, and I guess thats why I could never understand how people could complain about that system

Ocarina of Time is clearly the most superior Zelda, I've played most Zelda games on their original cartridges (at my cousin's house, I don't have them) lol...like if you like link to the past better then I'm just gonnna go ahead and say you're just liking it better because its older and I'm probably right. Sorry if I offend any of you, but it had to be said lolz

Anth0ny

Smash Master
only good nintendo system was 64. Lots of good exclusive titles. So yeah, it would suck if you only stuck to nintendo. ahaha especially during the GC era.

i do miss genisis though
I still think the GC era is leagues better than the Wii era. I mean, Wii is trash. No good games. The only thing that comes close to a good game is Brawl tbh. Yeah, Galaxy sucks. TP sucks. Thanks for casualan my games Nintendo.

And MM is the best Zelda game and best game ever. It's certainly better than OOT. It took everything OOT had and changed it enough so that it was still giving you that OOT feel that we all love, but was still a new game.

<3 <3 <3 MM

buenob

Smash Lord
MM was the worst game ever, I couldn't save without resetting everything i did... casual game for the loss

also, TorontoJoe, there's a 5% chance my teams-partner will show, but 95% that he won't... want to team?

Niko_K

Smash Master
I personally loved the GC era...there are a good selection of games on it unlike the Wii..

We all know N64 and NES are the two legendary consoles...followed by PS1/PS2.

EDIT: Ben....MM is by far the best and most intricate Zelda title <3

Top Bottom