• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I just thought of those who've been around longer/more tournaments.
You still get da props Cyan my man ;)

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Nate I completely agree, but lets not forget that at mikeys 40 man tourney I didn't use mk once and got 4th, I'm capable of dropping mk too, and I'm sure the people who use him know hes gay, but its not like minds will be changed lets not forget mk is beatable.

The only thing that struck me as really stupid is sauc3 using mk now, that was kinda ******** get ***** by falco sauc3.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Nate I completely agree, but lets not forget that at mikeys 40 man tourney I didn't use mk once and got 4th, I'm capable of dropping mk too, and I'm sure the people who use him know hes gay, but its not like minds will be changed lets not forget mk is beatable.

The only thing that struck me as really stupid is sauc3 using mk now, that was kinda ******** get ***** by falco sauc3.
While MK is beatable, choosing him and having him in your back pocket only comes with advantages, this is the main problem.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Ok seriously, MK is ****ing ******** and this **** is getting out of hand around here.

Anyone who has been to the last few tournaments knows this to be true.

In the grand scale of tournaments in this region, mk has only been picked up, never dropped. And it just continues on and on.... I'm like the only person who ever dropped MK out of him being too gay. Everyone else continues to play him while hating him, some hate him so much they pick him up as a testament to hating him.
I also just love how everybody who's switched to him/picked up for secondaries has gotten higher tournament results every time, not ONE person placed worse after picking him up. Infact, some peoples main thing that holds them back is that they have a shred of decency and don't use him. I also just love the fact that teams play (known for being more fun and varied than singles) has come down to being horribly dominated by ****ing MKs.

"But Minus, if MK is legal and you want to win, its your fault for not picking him up!"

Exactly, so is the logical strategy for everyone to pick up MK? Or for us to ban him?
Clearly nobody wants the first option, and when it comes to the second one everyone has cold feet.
People will hate on mk gayness all day, but suddenly nobody wants to ban him.
We have a bunch of people who either are so clearly focused on winning or are too scared to rely on themselves and not a character, that are beating people who once relied on a character other than MK but after being beaten begin to switch to MK.
And so on, and so on, yet nobody has the balls to end the cycle.
Is MK as a character truly deserving as a ban? Debatable
Is MK as a character wrecking the fabric of our scene? Yes.

I was so excited to come back to the gtan after being out west, and I've only got a month left now.
It feels like its all for naught to even try to move this community in the right direction at this point as I won't even be around to see the effects. But truly, MK should be banned, its getting rediculous. There are only so many good players left around here who haven't switched, and I can assure you they would all get better results if they switched to MK like the rest of you sellouts.

My major props go out to: Percon, Nickcam, Mikey, Niko, Pastaboy and Holy for never selling out and always doing well in this tornado storm.

/rant.
This EXACTLY. Back home from Niagara, I felt like just dropping Brawl altogether, ask Hype, Fool, Nick about my 30 minute long rant (all this while looking for more drink at McDonalds), and its because of these MKs. HES SO BROKEN, holy crap. After Kingace and Ambrose in teams, Nick turned to me and said, we're done in teams, we can't beat double MK, and I knew I had just played the best I would ever play in teams...didn't really feel like playing Brawl for the rest of the day after that

Teams was my favorite part of the day for Brawl tournies, I'd go there, have lots of fun, then just chill out in singles, do whatever, etc. Now, its like ok, teams pisses me off, then when I go to singles EVEN MORE MKs

This is what happens when people pick up MK:
1) hes better than your original main - THIS INCLUDES ME. MY MK IS BETTER THAN MY MARTH OR DEDEDE, and I don't even play this character.
2) easy wins because he has unlimited tools and can counter every character. Yes, you didn't read that wrong.
3) you go from average player to ****

People pick up MK, then all of a sudden theyre contending with me, from a once close, fun set to a Marth vs MK rapefest.

Disgusting. He's too good. Sad to see this once great, diverse scene dying because of MK

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
maybe gtan should have a tourny without metaknight this summer then? You'd get a lot of people going probably, and maybe dedicated metaknight mains will try playing snake or something for a change. maybe if it had a small entrance fee like $5 it would encourage mk mains to try a new character for the tourny.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
maybe gtan should have a tourny without metaknight this summer then? You'd get a lot of people going probably, and maybe dedicated metaknight mains will try playing snake or something for a change. maybe if it had a small entrance fee like $5 it would encourage mk mains to try a new character for the tourny.
I was thinking the exact same thing, that I might host a MK banned tourney...but it would have to be in September or October. I just need to find a smaller venue first, though.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Mmm...well, this pretty much stood out to me for a long time. I can't even play Brawl anymore, and I haven't been to a tournament since Prepare Yourself. I could probably have gone more, but when I sat back and thought about it, I wasn't sure if it was really worth it. Yes, it was fun hanging out with everyone, but when it came to sitting down and playing the game, there was Metaknight.

Metaknight's irritated me for the longest time. Not only was he stupidly broken in the original demo, he's still absolutely ridiculous when hitstun and everything else was taken out. I can't help but feel annoyed since Sakurai was the one who made this game and his Kirby character just so happens to be the best. It's like he wanted to make up for Kirby being so crappy in Melee, but he went way overboard and now all three of his characters are too good.

Even though people in the Tactical forum laugh at the thought of banning MK since he's beatable, I think GTA has its own decision to make. Why don't we ban MK? Every time it's brought up, it's usually thrown to the side because it discourages out of state players or "if we go to America, we won't be prepared for MK." Well, that's what I saw before. So you guys just have to choose what's more important: enjoyment of the game or the harsh reality of competitive gaming. =/

If only Brawl had been more balanced....=(

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
oh you mad cause Mk stylin on you?
lol jks

i personally dont care if MK gets banned,ill still keep losing to ICs either way

Mk dominates or "ruins" the competitive scene
ICs are a broken character

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

edit: ill agree though that double MK in teams is actually broken, destroys most team combos,although if me and cyan practiced more we'd be able to beat it, usually we can get em to last game which is pretty good

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
oh you mad cause Mk stylin on you?
lol jks

i personally dont care if MK gets banned,ill still keep losing to ICs either way

Mk dominates or "ruins" the competitive scene
ICs are a broken character

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Sorry Joe, but the sad truth is that if MK gets banned you're going to lose to a hell of a lot more characters than Ice climbers.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
guys, pick up G&W if MK gets banned

i like me some G&W dittos :):) 8D

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I think everyone is overreacting a bit here...

I don't support MK being banned but I'll be entering tournaments and still playing brawl regardless of what everyone decides

buenob

Smash Lord
mikey, i'll MM your MK next time I see you? I want to see if your "my mk is better than my mains" is actually true

edit: I'll extend this to anyone who doesn't main MK :)...

.Marik

is a social misfit
I f*cking hate these discussions.

Yes, the evidence is overwhelming that MetaKnight is broken, and is dominant in an already over-centralized metagame.

But, with the amount of players involved in playing MetaKnight, and the simple "well, play better and don't get *****, learn the matchup" argument, who's actually going to carry out this initiative in large-scale Tournaments?

It will be easier if MetaKnight is banned, in Melee the better player usually wins. Not so in Brawl.

But, Sakurai intentionally created Brawl to be the polar opposite of Melee, so what can we honestly do?

I would love some MetaKnight banned Tournaments, it'll be interesting.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Nate what about me? I dropped MK for marth dude. xD

In all honestly, i think ICeys are much worse than MK, but I can see what you mean when you say there's too much focus on one character.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
My major props go out to: Percon, Nickcam, Mikey, Niko, Pastaboy and Holy for never selling out and always doing well in this tornado storm.

Sex props to Wolfblade for being an MK slayer
/rant.
Fixed for accuracy.

I think a temporary ban would be super fun! I can take ICs now much as I f*ckin hate fighting them.

But there are a ton of MKs skipper, and its boring as hell to watch a 2 on 2 MK team.

And losing to double MKs is just... lame...

pastaboy

Smash Champion
good stuf guys this is good stuff.

if i recall( please tell me if i am wrong) but at mikeys tourny, in the grand finals for doubles. minus and ace were beating allys snake and holys rob. Ally switched to mk and pretty much won doubles using mk. Read that again if you didnt understand. ally chaning from snake to mk!!

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
That's exactly how it went down.
Even Ally has sold out to mk in doubles. Think about that, the first person who comes to mind on the anti ban side used mk to beat us.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to "Hey Nate what about me". He knows I play Pika, Red and Snake.

But I will give him props for being stand-up about this. Llumys and I pulled pre-emptive ban a little over a month back. We got berated for it so we didn't actively enforce it, but for a couple very logical reasons.

Regardless, I support the ban.

P.S.: Hi, EC.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Side note: I dyed my hair green!

On topic: As a Toon Link main, one button from MK wrecks all but one attack option, which is the bomb. That can't even counter it completely. It's a pain in the *** to land the arrows or zair to cancel the nado, but even then, it clashes, MK is on the ground, and I'm floating in the air, and I'm still put in a horrible position.

I could go on and on, but what I'm trying to say is MK being banned would be a change, and I would like to see how it pans out.

FatalX

Smash Journeyman
EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK EVERYONE VOTE TO BAN MK

Now as a Snake main, people may ask me "why do u wanna ban mk the matchup is even"
ill tell u why dawgs
because i dont want to ban mk because I do bad against him
I want to ban him because he is an absolutely RIDICULOUS character

Snake has bad matchups. Snake has bad stages. Snake is one of the best chars, yes, but there are many ways to beat him.

MK bad matchups? lolno. Bad stages? lolno. Just read this **** up about his moves:
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/praxis/mkfacts.txt

MK is like a fukken virus, look at this **** its spreading to everyone, whether they make him their main or their secondary. And who can blame them, everyone wants to win, and MK = you will most likely win.

But its just really, really pissing me off. Just look at our fukken PR. Count how many MKs are there. Hes just way too fukken good, and unbelievably gay not to mention.

TL;DR BAN MK HES RIDICULOUS

Iliad

Smash Lord
Some ridiculous person who was angry at MK when they made these facts said:
Metaknight's Drill Rush also turns him into a moving ball of priority, allowing for a recovery that cannot be edgehogged, and can be autocancelled to become incredibly difficult to punish.
That's bull****. I've spiked people out of drill rush so many times I can't keep track.

All of his sword attacks have transcendant priority (the highest in the game- the same as Falco's lasers), and can never clash
He's also outranged by a majority of the cast and due to no-clashing means his super quick attacks won't stop someones obvious range advantage and will just hit him.

Other than that, most of that seems right. A full MK ban, no. I mean you could make a list like that for a number of characters.

Snake can drop-nade into shield with no means of punishing him.
His uptilt has a broken hitbox and kills almost every character when they're from 80%-100%.
His Ftilt (and I've seen this PLENTY of times, Phil would def back this up too considering he mains MK at a high level) beats the everloving **** out of nearly every char, including MK whos' non clashing moves won't save him from the overpowered and stupidly fast attack.
He can clip grenades to a point that they can actually drop out of another characters hands, causing them likely to be hurt/set-up to be killed should they have picked up the grenade earlier
The only character (that I can think of right now, other than ike, but his recovery is just bad) who's UpB recovery has super armor against nearly any attack save the very powerful ones.

Falco has a chaingrab that works on nearly the entire cast that leads into an immediate spike.
Falco's frames for lazers drop considerably when short hopping, promoting a wall of spam as an effective means of playing him.
His bair has incredibly fast start-up frames and ending frames allowing for an exceedingly powerful aerial move to be spammed effectively for both attacking and for momentum cancellation.

Should we ban all three of those chars, what about d3 with standing infinites etc? should he be banned? or iceys with INFINITE CHAINGRABS? Should they be banned? Of course not.

While I think MK should be curtailed from the community for a time, just so we don't become new jersey, he doesn't deserve a full ban. I fully welcome anyone to correct anything i've said btw, I don't claim to know everything about the game, but then again, I don't claim that the game and MK are utterly broken just because people find him easier to use.

buenob

Smash Lord
lolz illiad hit it right on the mark... MK can't clash with anything... i know this is old news, but people don't take advantage of it nearly enough... ok the whorenado does clash, but that's about it...

people look for "vulnerability" at the start/end of moves too much in smash... every other fighter i play has lists of moves which beat other moves, and tbh a very large portion of the cast has high priority moves which, when spaced and timed properly, will at worst clash with MK... the trick is to get into the position where that clash is beneficial to you

FatalX

Smash Journeyman
Snake can drop-nade into shield with no means of punishing him.
When snake gets blown up by his own nade, you know it does even more damage to him than to someone else?

His uptilt has a broken hitbox and kills almost every character when they're from 80%-100%.
100+ if you're DIing, unless youre using a super light char like jiggly but who the hell mains her. Plus, utilt can be shielded and punished very easily, and its predictable as well, everyone knows utilt is snakes kill move of choice, so at a high % they space more properly and snake cant do ****

His Ftilt (and I've seen this PLENTY of times, Phil would def back this up too considering he mains MK at a high level) beats the everloving **** out of nearly every char, including MK whos' non clashing moves won't save him from the overpowered and stupidly fast attack.
not true, especially not against mk. in fact, i avoid using ftilt against mk. although ftilt is strong, it has very VERY punishable lag, and if youre ftilting someone whos shielding, prepare to be grabbed, MK, on the other hand, can nado someone, dsmash someone, shuttle loop, someone, hell he can do anything and instantly escape punishment

He can clip grenades to a point that they can actually drop out of another characters hands, causing them likely to be hurt/set-up to be killed should they have picked up the grenade earlier
I admit yeah thats pretty awesome, butthat takes a ton of snake experience to pull off, MK on the other hand has a much simpler learning curve

Falco has a chaingrab that works on nearly the entire cast that leads into an immediate spike.
it only works up to 40%, and you can DI tech out of the spike

Falco's frames for lazers drop considerably when short hopping, promoting a wall of spam as an effective means of playing him.
Take Falco to BF then. MK, on the other hand, cant be counterpicked on any stage.

His bair has incredibly fast start-up frames and ending frames allowing for an exceedingly powerful aerial move to be spammed effectively for both attacking and for momentum cancellation.
styll, his bair is still weak unless u get the sweet spot, and it does have ending lag as well

Should we ban all three of those chars, what about d3 with standing infinites etc? should he be banned? or iceys with INFINITE CHAINGRABS? Should they be banned? Of course not.
For the D3 infinite, those are banned, at least at most tourneys. As for ICs, once you kill Nana, theyre completely useless. There are ways to counter all of these characters, even though its difficult.

Dogg/Naoki/Suzaku

Smash Apprentice
I seriously do not want MK banned. I do not main him and I do not second him, but he is not all that hard. The only Mks I have recently played are Hype and KingAce with Amrbrose in doubles. MKs metagame is just more advanced that the whole roster, the only character that is close is Snake. Ally beat the best MK, so I think MK isn't unbeatable.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
I seriously do not want MK banned. I do not main him and I do not second him, but he is not all that hard. The only Mks I have recently played are Hype and KingAce with Amrbrose in doubles. MKs metagame is just more advanced that the whole roster, the only character that is close is Snake. Ally beat the best MK, so I think MK isn't unbeatable.
Using the two best people in Brawl shouldn't even count.

PND

Smash Champion
They ARE the top of the metagame. Who else to use? The best Snake vs the best MK. . . that's the absolute best data we can use

Top Bottom