• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Gamecube Controller Famine of 2009

Latex_Pineapple

Smash Rookie
It has come to my attention recently that Nintendo has ceased the production of on-brand Gamecube controllers. My question to the forum is thus: After the supply has dried up, what does one do?

A brand called "Kuma" creates Gamecube controllers that look almost exactly like the real the original, but without the logo. Having never played with one, I can not assert one way or the other to its quality. Doing a quick search on Google Shopping yields an abundance of these results. The same is true for eBay.

Essentially, very soon the stock of on-brand controllers that you have will become the stock of on-brand controllers that you'll ever have.

What's the best alternative? Switch to a classic controller? Does a brand make an acceptable replacement yet?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
How long were you expecting? lol

Also I heard that there would be controllers modeled after the gamecube controllers...works like the classic controller...except it looks like a gamecube controller?

never paid much attention...

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I think is either belongs in the Light House, or User Blogs, as it is not *directly* related to Brawl.

Plus, I wouldn't call it a famine, more like a deprevation, as we don't eat the controllers...

*munch munch munch* yeah no way in hell.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Stock up! I have to buy some...at least 3, I'm thinking.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo seems to have a good stock somewhere, It'll just be a little harder to find new ones. I'd say a true disappearance of controllers is a few years off, at current buy rates. Of course, hoarding them is a surefire way to ensure you'll always have one...

Latex_Pineapple

Smash Rookie
I think is either belongs in the Light House, or User Blogs, as it is not *directly* related to Brawl.

Plus, I wouldn't call it a famine, more like a deprevation, as we don't eat the controllers...

*munch munch munch* yeah no way in hell.
I was concerned about whether this was the right place to post this, but it seemed like the best fit, as controller availability does have a direct impact on Brawl.

Also, in dire straits, if you have to eat your controller, well, nobody would blame you.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think Nintendo is actually steering away from the GC controller. All SNES and N64 VC games claim "You will need the classic controller" when the GC controller works fine. There are also some games that support the GC controller but don't have it marked on the box.

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
Steel controllers from friends who have gamecubes stashed in closets. They dont need them! I have 5 now?!

Scarzig

Smash Rookie
I became aware of this the time I went to the mall to get a new controller. I only buy Nintendo Brand when it comes to controllers. I learned my lesson from those cheap *** Mad Catz Gamecube controllers.

I found ONE used.

We're in trouble.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I just ordered two off of Ebay the other day that look like the original but don't have the logo.......they're pretty good just a little issue with button sensitivity but other than that they're fine. Also, in a couple years more and more Nintendo/casual gamer fans that don't play Brawl will have no need for GC controllers so you'll see a bunch of them on Ebay in a little bit.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
import those sexy white ones that are already better than normal gamecube ones for cheaper too lmfao. like play asia comntrollers duh

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It's also sexy, has a super-long cord, matches your Wii... and it's ten times better than any third party junk. It's that, or buy them used. :ohwell:

highfive

Smash Lord
This is a downer. I have like three in great condition but still, gamecube controllers are down right awesome for spot on attacks and such.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The company you brought up, you can find those controllers at Play 'N' Trade. At least where I live you can. I bought a white controller a while back. The only problem I have with these ones are the L and R buttons. They're really tough to push in. It cost me a few matches while playing Brawl. The shield wouldn't come up, instead if I attempted to spotdodge, I'd duck and still take the blow. If I tried to roll, I'd run away instead. You have to really put pressure on it.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
If my controller breaks then I'd get a 3rd party one.

Possibly due to the fact the only GC games I play are Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you can still get the white Japanese controllers. I bought a couple a few months back and I have to say they're the best controllers Nintendo has made. They're a bit more expensive though because you'll have to get them online and probably pay for shipping.

Snail

Smash Lord
I got mine from Play-Asia, it works perfectly. What do a few dollars matter when you can play with a nice, responsive control-stick for another year or two?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'll probably stick to 3rd party brands after mine all die. Despite the fact that most of them suck, I find good controllers for 3rd party brands at times (at least for PS2, I'm just hoping that will be the case for GC too).

Hmm... I have 1 broken 3rd party controller, 3 official Nintendo GC controllers (One has a messed up c-stick, one has a messed up R-button, and one I bought used a month ago, and it has an awkward feel to it, so I just use the one with the messed up c-stick) and I have 2 mini wireless controllers. I'd like them if they weren't so small... other than that they were great, despite the fact that one of them has a loose R-button that I can take out whenever I want.

If I never find any 3rd party brands, then I'll probably look towards the classic controllers :/

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
The (White) GameCube controller(s) that they sell at www.play-asia.com looks really nice.
Go get one of them, it works on all gamecube and wii consoles worldwide.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Unless you have a very difficult time adjusting, Classic Controller is a great alternative. (And it matches your console!)

Top Bottom