• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Gamecube Controller Famine of 2009

tekkie

Smash Master
I recently got an excellent-condition, used Gamecube controller from Ebay for like $15. There is no shortage.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i just picked a GC controller up today USED from game stop [14.99]. Had dirt on it but thats nothing i cant fix.

There was another GC controller there but the Analog stick was swaggering around like it was broken.

This is why you should always inspect the product first before buying. Move the sticks inside the bag, press the buttons, etc. I also commented to the store clerk about broken analog stick GC controller. He muffled something but yea. Came home just now and checked to make sure all the buttons where working properly. Last thing you need is a malfunction during a match srsly

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've had controller malfunctions in tourney matches. It makes you wanna rip your eyes out.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Those aren't tourney-legal. It has a turbo button.
I cant find one without a turbo button T_T plus I dont go to tourneys anyway since there arent any from where I live. I dont use the turbo button, hell I have no clue wtf it does >.>

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I've had controller malfunctions in tourney matches. It makes you wanna rip your eyes out.
From my experiance with the N64, the best thing to do is rotate out controllers. I have 2 blacks [my 2 two] and 2 used blue GC controllers. I rotate them so i dont burn out one particular one.

I did this with my N64 controllers when the analog stick would start to act up. By the time i got back to the one with the analog problems, it fixed itself.

I highly recommend cleaning your GC controller. Take a baby wipe, and clean off the dead skin cells on the controller. It helps keep the buttons and the sticks free of debris and disinfects as well. This will keep it running a lot longer.

Also not physically abusing your GC controllers is another thing. If you lose really bad, do not throw you controller on the floor. You'll just cause yourself more problems.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I cant find one without a turbo button T_T plus I dont go to tourneys anyway since there arent any from where I live. I dont use the turbo button, hell I have no clue wtf it does >.>
GameStop offers used Game Cube controllers. The turbo button is a button you can use for hacks you create for the game. Even if tournie organizers ban them, if i remember right, the turbo button is useless for brawl since this button is not recognized by Brawl's software.

I just pluged in my Gamestop brand GC controller into brawl. Went to Options>Controls>GC controller setup. Press the turbo button and nothing happend.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
GameStop offers used Game Cube controllers. The turbo button is a button you can use for hacks you create for the game. Even if tournie organizers ban them, if i remember right, the turbo button is useless for brawl since this button is not recognized by Brawl's software.

I just pluged in my Gamestop brand GC controller into brawl. Went to Options>Controls>GC controller setup. Press the turbo button and nothing happend.

Oh right hacks.. o_o fair enough...

GameStop? Sorry I live in UK xD I dont see any stores called GameStop >.<
Theres like:
GAME
gamestation
HMV
independant/private gaming store <-- probably find a used Gamecube controller there

Not alot >__>

Im sure I can find an original Gamecube controller if I tried =/ but Im too used to this wierd Wii (substitute) style one now so its not that big of a problem to me.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The only thing that really wears down with GC controllers is the sticks, and those can be modded. There's not too much of a problem.

Icyo

Smash Ace
When pressed in conjuction with a certain button, the turbo button makes that button act like it's being pressed super fast whenever it is pressed.

Piggyman86

Smash Apprentice
Just ordered one today from play-asia. out of the 3 i have only 2 work right and 1 of them I let my friend borrow. The one I currently use is starting to mess up on me. I just hope this 35.80 i just spent wasn't for nothing.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Oh right hacks.. o_o fair enough...

GameStop? Sorry I live in UK xD I dont see any stores called GameStop >.<
Theres like:
GAME
gamestation
HMV
independant/private gaming store <-- probably find a used Gamecube controller there

Not alot >__>

Im sure I can find an original Gamecube controller if I tried =/ but Im too used to this wierd Wii (substitute) style one now so its not that big of a problem to me.
used stuff is probably alittle easier to find. And you would know if they sell used stuff since theres usually used items in the stores you mentioned. Just ask the sales clerk if they have any in stock.

Anther

Smash Champion
Nintendo sells new ones on their website. If you're anti-online shopping from reliable corps get over youself ;P

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Just ordered one today from play-asia. out of the 3 i have only 2 work right and 1 of them I let my friend borrow. The one I currently use is starting to mess up on me. I just hope this 35.80 i just spent wasn't for nothing.
as long as you have a receipt i'd return that **** and get a refund

DarkAura

Smash Lord
yeah im boned... i own 2 Turbo's... i bought them before i planned on playing competitive smash so now i can't even attend tourneys cause of my bloody controller even though turbo buttons are next to useless for smash

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I have that controller lythium linked to on Play-Asia. They're work perfectly find and the wire is extremely long. They're being made especially for the Wii. I plan to purchase a few more.

Omniturtle

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'm a fan of Wavebirds. They stopped making those a few years ago. It really sucks having to buy used controllers, but if you're willing to pay 90$ on ebay, like I did, you can get a brand new unopened Wavebird. That won't last long.

I think the best option is to grab a classic controller. They are very very nice. The placement of the control stick below the dpad is the only problem I have, but it's managable. My friend plays Classic controller, and never has a problem. plus, faster reaction time than a wavebird, and i think it has one more button, if you care to be creative.

daisho

Smash Lord
Here's a link to my review of the Kuma third party controller for the GameCube and Wii.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/video-games/540291-review-third-party-gamecube-controller-compatible.html
How long have you used it? I heard that they break really quickly.

I find it very hard to walk with this controller as well as use tilts.

It really bothers me since my gamecube controllers just broke (the rubber on the analog stick fell off both of them, now its quite difficult to control). And I'm going to my first tournament on Sunday.

I "bought" the third party controller by accident. It had a picture of a real nintendo brand but when I got it it was one of those (so I got my money back and they didn't want it back so I get to keep it).

Nintendo sells new ones on their website. If you're anti-online shopping from reliable corps get over youself ;P

Anther, what were you saying about buying them of nintendo, have you ever tried? I just tried but when I clicked buy it took me to the product description. For the silver one it took me to an error page.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
I have 3, and 1 which doesn't work, the 1 which doesn't work is a 3rd party controller.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I went to a local pawn shop and fount about 10 of them. Some of which were not in very good condition but most seemed reliable enough to buy.

Also fount a flamethrower and a chainsaw setting next to each other. I almost decided to put them together to create an ultimate death machine in case of zombie invasion.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Link

How long have you used it? I heard that they break really quickly.

I find it very hard to walk with this controller as well as use tilts.

It really bothers me since my gamecube controllers just broke (the rubber on the analog stick fell off both of them, now its quite difficult to control). And I'm going to my first tournament on Sunday.

I "bought" the third party controller by accident. It had a picture of a real nintendo brand but when I got it it was one of those (so I got my money back and they didn't want it back so I get to keep it).
Here's a link to a place that sells the fancy official white GameCube controllers that they only sell in Japan.

http://www.japanvideogames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=gcj-WHITECON

Use the coupon code: Grizz when you order and you'll save an extra buck.

Top Bottom