• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE GOD KAIS Present MWC-E #1 " Brawl Bootcamp Lv 2" Fairfield, OH (Oct.10) RESULTS!!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You're correct AZ. While not very probable for someone going solo Peach, I still believe it possible that I had a shot at top 5. I'll just have to step it up and increase the probability of it happening.

I like the idea of top 5 payout. I personally believe that it increases incentive to place higher, as there are now more opportunities to walk away with some money or at least cover one's own entrance fee; and I appreciate that you came up with the scheme (assuming you did). :)

@ Everyone else- Someone start another circuit PLEASE. I would have gladly taken up the task but I have way too much on my plate right now, both personal and professional. It can be a fresh face, an experienced TO, or any type of collaboration in between; but let's fix all of this sillyness here and now the only way we can.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tyr: actually, infern chose to have green greens on. He could have chosen a different stage, so it can't be JUST OS who feels green greens is a viable stage. I also happen to like green greens, but I know I'm a minority in this argument since I would even go to tournaments with all-items on.

KB: good to hear, and yea, I think its true, infern this weekend making his top 5 run and Champ coming super close to a similar feet I think proves that top 5 is a possible occurrence for...probably 1/3rd-1/2 of the attendees. This makes it so that if you catch fire even if you aren't a top-top player you got some sorta chance to make money.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I completely agree with this sentiment. I think there are tons of different ways that we can go about trying to experiment with custom stages, and I personally think this could be something we can/should discuss in the SBR. But what OS is doing is HURTING the chances of custom stages being accepted rather than helping them.
I posted about them there a year ago. That's when I made the stages and asked other members of the SBR to make their own, as experimental as they want. The only one given to me was Plain, by Umbreon; it was unanimously turned down due to the incredibly short ceiling and incredibly close sides (think dying at 50% from a Snake u-tilt). Other than that, there were 0 additions.

I made many custom stages, tested them all, narrowed it down, and edited them as time went on. I will continue to do so.

The SBR was of no help. I even posted in the SBR recently asking people about starter stages so I could get other information; the first thing you did was post and complain. As always.

It's not hard to see when someone just wants to ***** because things aren't going the way they'd want to do it. I know the purposes for each and every one of my actions; I care about results, rather than feeling. As much as you claim that everyone is anti-this and anti-that and I'm doing such a horrible job, I saw the custom stages used extensively throughout the tournament by multiple players. I asked people in person what they thought, and very few negative comments were received that had anything to do with gameplay. Most people just said "they're so gay" or "they're dumb", which is useless information.

This is a ******** argument. I have replicated the green greens glitch a long time ago. It's a ******** glitch that can easily come into play and has far more often than the other glitches you mentioned. The fact that you haven't seen it yet doesn't say much. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that most TO's ban the stage. It can be stopped. So can most forms of stalling and planking. Do we want to deal with either? No.
Tell Infern, or the TO for every other tournament you've been to that has had Green Greens on. Believe it or not... I've never forced anyone to have GG as a stage. I just allowed them to have it, and they chose it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My opinion of the general receptiveness of tournament attendees toward the use of custom stages was:
neutral. Depending who you talked to there may be a slight lean in perception to positive or negative. Just saying, from my viewpoint, the stages were embraced by some and disdained by other - so it would be great if both sides didn't talk in absolutes (everyone but you!).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm more interested in what happens towards the middle of the circuit, honestly. People always hate change; it's when they've put up with something for a little while they actually have a good perspective.

Now, does someone other than Notra, Hilt, AZ, and Fonz want to give me good information I can use to possibly edit these stages?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My edits would be:
-On Libra get rid of the platforms, they were intended to get rid of planking but I honestly don't think its needed. Also lower the center platform by one block to prevent very easy platform camping by multiple characters. I then think Libra would be a very beautiful stage.
-On Equity change the blocks of the stage from the big 2X2 blocks to smaller 1X1 blocks. This will allow characters to wall jump the entire length of the edge of the stage instead of only the bottom half. More options = better gameplay. Also it may be a good idea to tinker with pushing the platforms one-block length closer to the center. This prevents characters like MK/Wario/D3 getting very easy kills by using the platform on its full extension on the sides.
-On Abysss change one of the slants from a 1x1 slant to a 2X1 slant so you open the stage up to more characters. By having two separate dynamics on each side you allow for more options and possible strategies that may not exist in a stage where you simply mirror everything. Having an asymmetric stage would be a nice change of pace from what is typical as well.

Those are my thoughts. Also, have none of the stages for doubles and instead create 2-3 new ones SPECIFICALLY with doubles scenarios in mind (this means larger stages/more room and different terrain setups). For example, a center-wall stage (think peachs castle in Melee) doesn't really work in singles but is SUPER interesting in doubles since you will often see each team split up then implement an approach (if they are losing) and I find that to be some of the most exciting/interesting play in doubles - when you can clearly see how an opposing team breaks down a teams strong position.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I posted about them there a year ago. That's when I made the stages and asked other members of the SBR to make their own, as experimental as they want. The only one given to me was Plain, by Umbreon; it was unanimously turned down due to the incredibly short ceiling and incredibly close sides (think dying at 50% from a Snake u-tilt). Other than that, there were 0 additions.
Again, implementation is your problem. You tried to get the SBR to make stages. What I'm proposing is to have the SBR discuss the possibility of using custom stages, and how we could make it happen if it could work. For example, if I were to try to test out the viability of custom stages, this is what I would do:

1. Figure out the way to implement the custom stages into our stage selection method.

I would take the normal 5 starter stages (FD, BF, SV, YI, and PS1/LC) but then add on 2 custom stages to the starter stage list that add something unique while not being too outlandish. Making custom stage counterpicks is silly in my opinion. I can make thousands of different stages that "would be okay" as a counterpick, but its far more difficult (and fulfilling for most/all parties involved IMO) to make a starter.

2. Make the custom stages themselves

This is more difficult, but I would make it a public effort/project to make stages that could be starter stages. Hell, we could even make it an SBR/SWF-endorsed contest that awards a premium membership or something to the winner, just to encourage more involvement. I would most definitely not just make a few myself and arbitrarily decide they are good enough to be starters. I am not nearly cocky enough to pretend I can imagine how the vast majority of all matchups would end up on any given stage.

3. Choose which custom stages to use

I would hold a vote, and the 2 most popular stages as chosen by the participants would be included in the starters.

The SBR was of no help. I even posted in the SBR recently asking people about starter stages so I could get other information; the first thing you did was post and complain. As always.
Complain? You think I complained? The first thing I did was post to say that your idea was ridiculous and the task itself was impossible. And you say "as always?" What I did was I, as I always do, provided a logical, thought-out point to you. As always, you disregarded said point by providing an irrelevant statement (something like "get your thumb out of your ***") that never addressed the issues I brought forth. You ignored my points and continued on with what you were doing rather than acknowledging my points to somehow improve on your system/method of doing things.

And when I say "As always" I can actually back it up. In this very thread. Remember that argument that you wrote off with a snide comment to discredit my state? You still haven't addressed it. You're trying to ignore it and move on as if it didn't exist.

I asked people in person what they thought, and very few negative comments were received that had anything to do with gameplay. Most people just said "they're so gay" or "they're dumb", which is useless information.
Thats another problem with how you do things. That isn't useless information. If you kept asking those people why they thought it was "gay" or "dumb" then I bet you would eventually be able to find common factors to why they are unpopular. Because it MATTERS how people feel about this, whether you like to admit it or not.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
1. Figure out the way to implement the custom stages into our stage selection method.

I would take the normal 5 starter stages (FD, BF, SV, YI, and PS1/LC) but then add on 2 custom stages to the starter stage list that add something unique while not being too outlandish. Making custom stage counterpicks is silly in my opinion. I can make thousands of different stages that "would be okay" as a counterpick, but its far more difficult (and fulfilling for most/all parties involved IMO) to make a starter.
Abyss was originally designed to be a starter; after editing it and playtesting it, I found that most people enjoyed it but I and others felt it changed matchups too much to be a starter and moved it to CP.

Custom stages as CPs are just as viable as starters, and I felt Abyss was unique enough to be different but standard enough to be playable by anyone. How this stage is used in tournament at the end of the circuit will be a very telling sign of how custom stages will work as CPs in the future of all smash games.

2. Make the custom stages themselves

This is more difficult, but I would make it a public effort/project to make stages that could be starter stages. Hell, we could even make it an SBR/SWF-endorsed contest that awards a premium membership or something to the winner, just to encourage more involvement. I would most definitely not just make a few myself and arbitrarily decide they are good enough to be starters. I am not nearly cocky enough to pretend I can imagine how the vast majority of all matchups would end up on any given stage.
I asked the SBR to make them, they did not. So I tested 12 of my own in smashfests and tournaments. You yourself played in at least three of them, and gave me comments on some of the stages. I didn't just slap two stages together and say "starter", I tested and edited them for quite some time.

I also proposed a stage making contest and it was ignored. Both times.

So, as always, I did it myself.

Complain? You think I complained? The first thing I did was post to say that your idea was ridiculous and the task itself was impossible. And you say "as always?" What I did was I, as I always do, provided a logical, thought-out point to you. As always, you disregarded said point by providing an irrelevant statement (something like "get your thumb out of your ***") that never addressed the issues I brought forth. You ignored my points and continued on with what you were doing rather than acknowledging my points to somehow improve on your system/method of doing things.
You complained. I was able to make my list, and a few others started to make theirs. It's not exactly rocket science.

And when I say "As always" I can actually back it up. In this very thread. Remember that argument that you wrote off with a snide comment to discredit my state? You still haven't addressed it. You're trying to ignore it and move on as if it didn't exist.
I saw a lot of complaining that I responded to with a snide comment. MI always complains. Never helps. That's the way it is.

The funny thing is, MI still shows up so their complaining matters even less.

Thats another problem with how you do things. That isn't useless information. If you kept asking those people why they thought it was "gay" or "dumb" then I bet you would eventually be able to find common factors to why they are unpopular. Because it MATTERS how people feel about this, whether you like to admit it or not.
OR

I could ignore everyone that doesn't have the brainpower to play a stage and give a critique on how it affects gameplay. Some people go into this saying "I HATE CUSTOM STAGES RARARARARAR". Why on Earth would I ever care what they think?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Custom stages as CPs are just as viable as starters, and I felt Abyss was unique enough to be different but standard enough to be playable by anyone. How this stage is used in tournament at the end of the circuit will be a very telling sign of how custom stages will work as CPs in the future of all smash games.
This is just a fundamental difference of opinion here. I don't think customs as CPs accomplishes anything, but that isn't a point that I can debate further than personal preference.

I also proposed a stage making contest and it was ignored. Both times.

So, as always, I did it myself.
Did what yourself? Started a stage-making contest yourself? Its not a bad idea to do things yourself. In fact, I applaud you for doing so. You just do the wrong things by yourself.

You complained. I was able to make my list, and a few others started to make theirs. It's not exactly rocket science.
...Are you stupid? I know that you're a very logical person at heart, but if you honestly thought what I was doing was complaining... then I have my doubts about your ability to understand coherent arguments.

I saw a lot of complaining that I responded to with a snide comment.
What do I have to complain about? I didn't go to this tournament. I didn't test out or play on the customs. I never complained about anything.

I could ignore everyone that doesn't have the brainpower to play a stage and give a critique on how it affects gameplay. Some people go into this saying "I HATE CUSTOM STAGES RARARARARAR". Why on Earth would I ever care what they think?
Because those are the very same people that you're going to have to get to accept the stages if you ever want this to be accepted in the future. You're setting yourself up to succeed wherever you can get your own way, but fail on anything larger.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
...Are you stupid? I know that you're a very logical person at heart, but if you honestly thought what I was doing was complaining... then I have my doubts about your ability to understand coherent arguments.
Me: Post an "even" starter stage. Ignore the fact that matchups change things and do this based on character's natural strengths and weaknesses. This'll help clarify a lot about our starter list.

You: I don't think there is a reason to do this. Stages are WILDLY varied based on matchup, playstyle, personal preference.

How is deciding to come into a thread you have no vested interest in and saying "Guys I don't think there's a reason to do this" then supporting that statement by saying you don't want to follow the instructions not complaining?

Because those are the very same people that you're going to have to get to

accept the stages if you ever want this to be accepted in the future. You're setting yourself up to succeed wherever you can get your own way, but fail on anything larger.
?

I am not settling these stages in for a lifetime. They're here until the end of the circuit, and then they're gone unless there's some crazy uproar about removing them. It's always been the plan to do that.

What do I have to complain about? I didn't go to this tournament. I didn't test out or play on the customs. I never complained about anything.
Yet here you are.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
How is deciding to come into a thread you have no vested interest in and saying "Guys I don't think there's a reason to do this" then supporting that statement by saying you don't want to follow the instructions not complaining?
I didn't just say there was no reason to do it, but I said it was quite impossible to actually do it. Not only that, but I followed it up with analyzing and debating the reason why you began the thread in the first place, which instead addresses the issue you set out to accomplish by making the thread. So, in a way, I was helping you come to a conclusion about the points you were trying to find out, even if it was a different conclusion than you had wanted when you originally made the thread.

So yes, that is slightly different from complaining. I don't usually post meaninglessly.

?

I am not settling these stages in for a lifetime. They're here until the end of the circuit, and then they're gone unless there's some crazy uproar about removing them. It's always been the plan to do that.
*the stages = using custom stages in general.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
and then they're gone unless there's some crazy uproar about removing them. It's always been the plan to do that.
ignorant statement inc...partially im johning about the migrain i have atm.
anyway, has this thread not proved to be an "uproar" of any kinda about the stages?
now i know its early and they were JUST implemented, but i dont think a circuit is the place to start trying stages out bc easily, i think, lack of experience on those stages could easily ruin your gameplay.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ignorant statement inc...partially im johning about the migrain i have atm.
anyway, has this thread not proved to be an "uproar" of any kinda about the stages?
now i know its early and they were JUST implemented, but i dont think a circuit is the place to start trying stages out bc easily, i think, lack of experience on those stages could easily ruin your gameplay.
Well, let's look at this as an experiment of sorts.

I've already tried custom stages (in fact, these exact ones) with people in smashfests, as well as tournaments. I found they could be uploaded easily, no real problems there.

What next?

You test them over time with a larger pool of players.

How can we do that?

The best answer is a circuit. I'll get more than enough information from all of this.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Well, let's look at this as an experiment of sorts.

I've already tried custom stages (in fact, these exact ones) with people in smashfests, as well as tournaments. I found they could be uploaded easily, no real problems there.

What next?

You test them over time with a larger pool of players.

How can we do that?

The best answer is a circuit. I'll get more than enough information from all of this.
The problem there tho is that its pushing people from the tournies where as the orignal rule set wasnt, what about that outlook

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I think it could have worked if you gradually introduced them... You could have shared them with the community, letting them circulate, seeing how they do in local tourneys, and allowing everyone to build up a rational opinion of the stages... Instead, you made the jump from local smashfests to regional tourneys, introduced a bunch of brand-new stages out of nowhere, and are now trying to force them on us at a series of big tourneys... Force may be a strong word here, but that's kinda what it's like... I'm not that great with my vocabulary... :/

It may not make much of a difference to you, but almost everyone else isn't going to be as receptive when you try to push it all at once... I know you don't care that you have everyone upset, but I think you're just starting to make yourself look stupid and ruin your reputation...not that you had one to being with... :laugh: Sorry... I don't hate you... I just like trying to poke fun at you...

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Yeah, attendance isn't an issue.
i guess i meant my question more as a "its pushing people away and since people havent expressed mush love for them in this thread, it may push more away" type of thing

i realize im prolly making no sense so im going to go to bed, this migrain migrain is kill me XXD

fonzi21

Smash Ace
I am not taking sides here, but the custom stages are definitely experimental, and Halo's custom stages are on something like Version 6? Meaning we need some way of testing them on a higher level to truly understand there capabilities. Information that you figure out by playing them can help the people wanting them removed because you can gather more debatable information. It also can help Overswarm refine them to being good stages that may become national level starter stages, but who knows?

As far as saying there is an uproar in this thread it seems to me to only be a set of 5-10 people maybe? generally that's a lot of people for a smash tournament, but considering it an uproar is stretching it. People will go to tournaments because they want to play (or at least I know I will). Also these stages are not going to hurt your playing abilities, you are going to actually improve due to knowledge of the game, granted you may lose "Valuable time" by practicing on these "Janky" stages, but in all honesty your still improving your tech skill, mind games, and ability to react and adapt to different scenarios and or traps. So in reality I see these stages as a way to improve my game.

They aren't bad options, they need improvement, but that is why we are testing them still. Give them a chance and play on them in friendlies at home give your input to Overswarm so we can make them better and satisfy the community as a whole to increase tournament participation.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I saw a lot of complaining that I responded to with a snide comment. MI always complains. Never helps. That's the way it is.
I'm all for discussion, but my help comes in the form of providing advice and possibly a venue. I don't attend **** but I wouldn't go out of my way to test the limits of other people accepting crazy ideas either. All I know is, you've made many (provocative) remarks to try to get MI's top players (well, mostly lain because he talks a lot) to come and prove themselves with actions or something, then they go and their top players wreck this **** (and subsequently get wrecked by M2K), and you go back to mentioning that all they do is complain. I mean, seriously? Do you have anything else to fall back on besides attacking our state as a whole when replying to what people here post?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Time for me to do shoutouts in the middle of a lulzy argument!

Lol, its keeping the text formatting. I like it.

1: M2K- Good ****. You're too good and I was too excited about getting out of poools to try to even mm you. Grats on being so ****ing good.

2: Judge- Same basic story. Except you aren't quite m2k. But close enough that it doesn't matter to me lol.

3: Lain- Too good.

4: Pierce - Too god****ed good.

5: AlphaZealot- I enjoyed watching some of your games. And to answer your question, yes I did learn quite a bit. Your diddy kong is bananas.
B-A-N-A-N-A-S. Better than gwen stefani by quite alot.

5: Infern- MOTHER****ING GOD KAIS! Just flash those baby blues and keep ruining people. We'll get our MM sooner or later

7: Nope- As always, you're a beast. I'll try to make it up to springfield for yo party.

7: Champ- Dude, you do BETTER with the yah eh? Good **** champ, more friendlies forthcoming at a smaller more manageable tournament.

9: Sliq- Best bowser? Lets stir up some debate. Some debate not involving me since I don't much care.

9: Kel- Lol, you're so much better than me. Kudos on being good at smash.
9: Overswarm- Im enjoying your circuit so far and I'm glad you convinced me to start listening to music. My real question is, when do I get another tutor session? Honestly I'll skip tournament events for it lol.

9: Y.b.M.- You ***** my monopoly face. And all I really want to know is, how is oriental doing? Did my school system initiative pass? Are the sidewalks clean? Please take care of my slum.

13: Fonz - Best lucario in the midwest boyeeee. Solidify that ****!

13: Blue Rogue- We still need to do luigi-wario. I think I can win, and I want you to try to prove me wrong. Better yet, prove me dumb.

13: Renegade - "Do you see a big slide?"

13: Xisin- My favorite marth. Next time I'll be obnoxious for your WHOLE match instead of most of it. Then you'll win for sure.

17: Lou- Your gw was impressive all the way. I'm sure you knew how I felt because I couldn't help but verbalize it all the time. Keep being tricky and keep taking people off guard.

17: Smash64- GOD KAIS! What do you keep in your hair? I know you must be hiding something. Is it a secret?

17: Mr.E- Good work beating somebody in brackets. If it was a luigi I hate you.

17: Rofa- Respect. Not alot to say, but respect.

17: Mister Eric- Dude at the time I'm writing this, it's 9:16. Thats not true but I'd like it to be.

17: Quivo- I herd you liek bombkips? 3$mm next time I see you. Earn some cash bro.

17: Capem- I don't know how I'll ever beat you, but I enjoy talking **** about other people with you. haha.

17: Hilt- Sandbag me and I'll cut you. :mad: <3

25: Cr4sh- YOU DID WELL! (/heavy). I'm still excited.

25: Argentstew- Browns suck, teehee.

25: Sil- Good stuff, see you soon.

25: Sneaky Tako - Tako, we need to hang at tournaments more. I'm dissapointed about the lack of tako time I got at this one.

25: Wakka- Too cool. Will you trade me diddy kongs?

25: Notra- Good games bro. I'm suprised I even did that well against you. Good ****.

33: Tyr- Did you tyr combo?

33: Jiffyboob- Gerbils can eat a ****.

33: Dr. X- The best part of waking up? Not folgers.

33: Framerate- I saw that rest, I was impressed.

33: Fizzleboy- Great games bro. I honestly think three games of lucario would have won you the ****. Just stay out of jabs.

41: Exile- Bison is broken.

41: May-ling- Good show. I didn't see any of it, but I love the way you play and I'm sure you kicked some ***.

41: Sai- Lemon jelly, look that **** up.

41: Airborne- Keep repping that yoshi. Pick up a 2nd if you gotta, but if you abandon your love we'll never see you again. Keep the yosh.

41: WTP- Good friendlies bro. GG is legit right?

41: Suyon- Good games. But not even a shoutout from you? NO LOVE!

49: Clowsui- You'll get em next time bro.

49: Steel Samurai- You too. I like you kids, and I have confience in you.

49: Today- Slum lords unite! We'll unify and destroy the monopoly competition next time.

49: Calic- Off day, you'll get em next time bro.

49: Kassandra - That gimp on the third game was ****ing magical. Good work sealing that set.

57: Metaflair - I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST! like no one ever was.

57: Shy Guy- You're solid, don't lose faith. Your only detriment at this point is your character and lack of experience. I know you can shake things up if you keep trying.

1024: Sin- High five! Ow my hand stings.

To those who were offended by me being loud and obnoxious. I sincerely apologize that I hurt your feelings. It does in fact make me feel bad. However. It's the way I am and I'm not about to change soon. If it really bothers you, feel free to speak up and I'll do my best to avoid being me around you.

My official position on arguments that are too funny.

The custom stages, themselves, are ****ing great. I love equity, and I love libra, and I think they add a breath of fresh air to the game. However, I didn't like how they played out in this tournament. I'm not sure where they belong or how we should treat them, but I was dissapointed with their preformance.

Green greens is dumb and should never be allowed. If you really want to allow dumb ****, allow distant planet, it's much better than gg. That isn't to say distant planet is any good. This is coming from a person who LOVES to play on green greens and does so very often in friendlies. Ask calic, he'll tell you.

I like overswarm and agree with him on most things. I like his attitude and his general outlook on tournaments, but because I'm a human and not a sheep I disagree with him on lots of things. I was waiting for the tournament to finish to see what I thought, and it turns out I mostly agree with xisin. The stages are great but overall do a disservice to the circuit. That isn't to say I'll stop participating. For numerous reasons.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you're going to UK on the 24th, I'll be there cr4sh

one on one time again :D

Notra

Smash Ace
though i dont agree w/ most of what overswarm has been saying i will vouche for green greens.

i considered making it a cp for falco, cause no one would be good at it, and no one knew how to play on it.

the to plats on the side r great for camping. the bombs can be sniped to give falco a not too situational kill move. and low ceilings r good for upsmash. plus falco can up b recover through the blocks.

i dont think it is fair to say any lvl doesnt require planning, cause they all do. some less than others.

but green greens. IMO. has more than enough startegy to be an official CP.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Regarding Green Greens, the full story was that Infern had a choice of this:
Group C: Minimum of 2 stages from this list, max of 4
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Onett
Out of this list, Green Greens and Norfair seem to be the least ridiculously "out there" stages, (with Distant Planet and Port Town Aero Dive being situationally regional favorites) and that's saying something.

Infern went with Green Greens, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, and Distant Planet.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
What's so bad about Distant Planet compared to those other stages? It's only about as "out there" as Norfair or Mansion...or any of them for that matter. Sure it's centered around getting stage control underneath the left side of the main platform at the bottom of the slope, but I only see that as a strategic element, nothing game-breaking about it. One is not unstoppable once they gain that spot, they just have a positional advantage. And if sharking is an issue to anyone, then Norfair and Mansion should go too. Hell let's get rid of Delfino and Halberd while we're at it. xD

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Start playing every friendly on janky stages.

By the time a tournament match comes, you will NOT lose because of bull****.

It's your fault if you don't know what to expect.

Example: Port Town

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Port Town is ********. I'll take the janky stages that don't kill me at 30, thank you.

Even if you expect it, a simple grab can always toss you right into the silly kill percentage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Port Town and Distant Planet are both, as I said, "regional favorites." They'll be favored in certain regions that aren't called Atlantic North, and not others. I don't think Luigi's Mansion is favored by any region except large sections of Ohio.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of levels with moving elements as it includes "happenstance" into the equation, which I hate.

For example, the SV platform HAPPENED to be on the right side when some one is recovering, leading them to get back on the stage. That's why I prefer BF and think it is the most neutral.

There is something to be said about adaptability, and I understand it has the potential to happen to both players, but the fact is it might happen to one player 10 times and the other 0 reminds me of the item debate.

This isn't to discredit that there isn't a strategic element involved, nor is it here to claim these things are "random," it is just something that no one ever talks about.

Personally, I don't give a **** about the custom stages since I just strike them anyways, but Lylat AND PS1? Come on. It's pretty much assuring people that get gimped by the ledges go to a custom if their opponent so inclines to take you there. And MK doesn't get gimped by ledges. Goddammit MK.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What's so bad about Distant Planet compared to those other stages? It's only about as "out there" as Norfair or Mansion...or any of them for that matter. Sure it's centered around getting stage control underneath the left side of the main platform at the bottom of the slope, but I only see that as a strategic element, nothing game-breaking about it. One is not unstoppable once they gain that spot, they just have a positional advantage. And if sharking is an issue to anyone, then Norfair and Mansion should go too. Hell let's get rid of Delfino and Halberd while we're at it. xD
Everyone's got different opinions on the stages. With as loud as some people are, it's easy to forget that... especially when some people just want to mimic the EC for reasons I still can't fully comprehend.

So, I'm only going to remove a stage if it's actually broken. If someone can make a good enough argument with video evidence, they can remove a stage from a circuit. If someone just dominates the circuit with a certain stage, I can remove it from the circuit.

But people just saying "this COULD happen" or "I hate it when THIS happens" or people who don't understand the stage saying its random (hint: Port Town has safe zones in every area so you can't get hit by the cars; in addition, you can see the cars coming in every area save for one, where the first cars don't have hitboxes to give you a warning)... that's never enough. That's just people pleasing, and is something I'm not interested in.

Green Greens could be Snakes best stage, could be his best stage only for certain matchups. Having Green Greens on definitely helped Infern's chances in beating me since I went MK there; why should I take it away simply because it's a good Snake stage? I'd have to see if the stage really was overly dominant first. Otherwise I'm just guessing and could be removing a stage that has a rightful place in the metagame, and as such am making some characters weaker and others stronger.

Video and Tournament evidence > forum complaining

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sliq: I don't really call it "happenstance". On Lylat, for example, when the stage tilts, I always try to run to the uphill area of the stage since throwing bananas downhill increases the distance of the throw significantly, giving Diddy more range and the opposing player less range on his projectile. Additionally since the stage will tilt back and forth, me being on the high ground means that if I am hit off the stage that I've put myself in a good position to recover, since the stage will slant back downward during my recovery.

On Smashville, I always try to be on the opposite side of the platform since it then prevents my bananas from getting stuck on them. Likewise, being on the opposite side, it means when I get hit off and am recovering there is a good chance the platform will have returned to the side I am on during my recovery, giving me an extra option. It isn't happen stance - it is playing smart.

Now, I understand that some people perceive doing these things as needlessly complicated or to much of a distraction, but I view these things as easy and an important aspect of what makes Smash great.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
So...I'm just gonna throw this out there....
I'm sad this shoutouts and results page has turned into a pretty much arguing thread.
Look, this tourney did well I think. It was crazy fun for the most part. The venue, people and of course smash were all enjoyable.
Where's the love people? We have at least 3 weeks until the next MWC scheduled tourney, don't we? Plenty of time to get your discussing in. :p

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Everyone's got different opinions on the stages. With as loud as some people are, it's easy to forget that... especially when some people just want to mimic the EC for reasons I still can't fully comprehend.

So, I'm only going to remove a stage if it's actually broken. If someone can make a good enough argument with video evidence, they can remove a stage from a circuit. If someone just dominates the circuit with a certain stage, I can remove it from the circuit.

But people just saying "this COULD happen" or "I hate it when THIS happens" or people who don't understand the stage saying its random (hint: Port Town has safe zones in every area so you can't get hit by the cars; in addition, you can see the cars coming in every area save for one, where the first cars don't have hitboxes to give you a warning)... that's never enough. That's just people pleasing, and is something I'm not interested in.

Green Greens could be Snakes best stage, could be his best stage only for certain matchups. Having Green Greens on definitely helped Infern's chances in beating me since I went MK there; why should I take it away simply because it's a good Snake stage? I'd have to see if the stage really was overly dominant first. Otherwise I'm just guessing and could be removing a stage that has a rightful place in the metagame, and as such am making some characters weaker and others stronger.

Video and Tournament evidence > forum complaining
I...agree but what does that have to do with what I just typed? Or was that toward my comment about Port Town? Lol I just don't like Port Town out of personal preference, and I feel we have enough extensions to the CP list as it is. But whatevs, keep it on, doesn't bother me personally.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
What's so bad about Distant Planet compared to those other stages? It's only about as "out there" as Norfair or Mansion...or any of them for that matter.

I really feel like you're forgetting the 16 damage projectiles readily available on this stage.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I really feel like you're forgetting the 16 damage projectiles readily available on this stage.
Ok? It's still better than a hazard that can kill light/medium characters exceedingly early (port town), or one that can just nomnom anyone to a quick death (japes), even IF those hazards aren't random. Not to mention...the projectiles are readily available for use by all players on the map, are they not?

Lol, it's such a nice place to CP a Diddy main. I feel stupid for taking AZ to Japes instead. xD

@ Everyone- Who wants to come or is at least interested in coming to Circuit Event #8 located in Parma, OH at my buddy's place? C'mon, show Northeast Ohio some love and travel up here to us. =P

The link to the event is located in my sig.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1: M2K - I'll get ya eventually
2: Judge - Sad we lost to a MW team...it's been awhile and I know we'll get it back soon.
3: Lain - God **** it I will eliminate you one day.
4: Pierce - Sad we didn't play
5: AlphaZealot - Sad :(
5: Infern - good **** God Kais
7: Nope - Springfield steppin it up
7: Champ - Springfield steppin it up
9: Sliq - Bowserrrrrrrrrrrr
9: Kel - Good **** in doubles
9: Overswarm - Good **** in doubles
9: Y.b.M. - God kais
13: Fonz - Looks like another strong tournament for ya!
13: Renegade - Good talking with you outside mangs, ike rocks
17: Lou - Ya keep gettin better man, you'll have your break out performace one day.
17: Smash64 - God kais
17: Rofa - good **** in brackets you've gotten better
17: Quivo - don't give up Q! you always crush me and I know if you play to win you will place tippity top!
17: Capem - what are you doing all the way down here capem?
17: Hilt - ggs in pools. sucks the tv shut off but we had some fun matches on mansion!
25: Cr4sh - Hurysulasdlnvll KEN!!!!11
25: King Beef - ggs in brackets mangz your Peach is tight keep it up keep getting better you are scary!
25: Argentstew - you gotta pace yourself! take everyone and everything seriously, especially brackets and early bracket matches!
25: Sil - good **** makin brackets!
25: Sneaky Tako - good **** makin brackets! now step it up more for cbus!
25: King Yoshi - good talking with you!
25: Wakka - Diddy mains unite!

33: Arc - good seein ya again!
33: Dr. X - nice playing your pit again! its been awhile!
33: Fizzleboy - what happened fizzle?
41: Baro - **** nice MM you almost had me that second game I don't know if I'd want to do that again cause you got the CG down on Diddy better than lain does 0.o
41: May-ling - GG's your Pit is crazy!!!!
41: Sai - nice talking to you and I hope I taught ya some stuff about Diddy!
41: WTP - good seein ya again!
49: Clowsui - What! Why are you down here? you gotta get that Marth up to speed and keep gettin outa pools man! I know this tournament was hard but I have faith that you'll come back stronger than ever!
49: Steel Samurai - ggs again mangz! Your Marth was WAY better/tougher this time around
49: Kassandra - good talking to you always fun to see you around tournies!

Top Bottom