• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Genesis 4 Discussion Thread

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
FOW and Shaky's placement isn't disappointing at all. You just refuse to acknowledge the limitations of Ness.

What exactly were you expecting looking at their brackets? Pit, Rosa, Sonic, ZSS, Cloud, Corrin, M2, Sheik, MM, G&W and possibly more. Most of these characters being backed by top level players and most of them are really bad MU's for Ness.

You still seem to have this unrelenting hope for this character. Ness isn't good. Accept it. This isn't an anime. FOW and Shaky aren't going to unlock some new power every time they face a stronger opponent and even if they were fighting for a 1,000 friends it's not going to make Ness any better...unless one of those friends is Sakurai...then it's a maybe
I don't have some false hope for Ness idk where you got that from. FOW and Shaky are just really good players overall and could make top 32's with most of the roster if they wanted to and I know they can do it with Ness as well, that's all I was commenting on.

I just don't have this ridiculous doom and gloom about the character you act like he's a low tier. I'm well aware he isn't solo viable and he has plenty of flaws but I also know both of those guys could had done a lot better regardless of a couple bad MUs.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Yeah so after that last match I feel even more convinced.

What's amazing is like Zack's only what around 15-16 years old? He probably hasn't even reached his absolute prime yet and he is already managed to beat players such as Dabuz, ANTI and now Komo
A garunteed 5th place at worst in a tourney as big as this is going to be big for him. Capt.Zack is definetly a player I can see goin places in the future.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Oh mannnnnn I'm laughing so hard.......
Komo kinda downloaded Zack and got game 2, then had such a good lead game 3, and I had to reload twitch right as Zack got the ladder combo, so I missed that...
then there was game 4....man, zack was just like "You think we cheating? Okay, I'll kick your *** super hard now"
*looks at previous comments*
Ha! I even predicted it with a possibility!
And then komo walks away when Zack offers the handshake...oh man...genesis 4 has been such a ride.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Unfortunate way for Komo to go out, play an entire set along with zero/dabuz at .9 ratio and only get to play the last game. That makes next to no sense, if time is actually an issue then play it off stream for both those sets.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
EDIT: Does not seem to be as clear as once thought.

Unfortunately an outright grimey set overall.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Y A R E
Y A R E
D A Z E

You better runback ZeRo vs. Dabuz too what kind of weak excuse
I love both players, but ZeRo vs Dabuz was A) much more dominant, and B) the launch rate would have benefitted Dabuz significantly more (considering what he lived).

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Unfortunate way for Komo to go out, play an entire set along with zero/dabuz at .9 ratio and only get to play the last game. That makes next to no sense, if time is actually an issue then play it off stream for both those sets.
Bear said that they checked the ratios before the ZeRo and Dabuz game and it was set to 1.0x.

Saj is speculating on Twitter that .9x hurts Bayonetta more than it does Sonic. Would explain why Komo seemed to DI out of so many Bayo combos... but then again Komo missed quite a bit of easy spin-dash confirms that would have likely been affected by the kb too.

EDIT: Dabuz is certain that the knockback wasn't right during his set.

Last edited:

Fenny

Smash Ace
Bear said that they checked the ratios before the ZeRo and Dabuz game and it was set to 1.0x.

Saj is speculating on Twitter that .9x hurts Bayonetta more than it does Sonic.
It doesn't benefit either, both of them lose most of their regular conversions on 0.9, and both have an even harder time killing than they usually do

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Just when we thought nothing stranger could happen, the runbakc happens.
I honestly wonder what G4 will be remembered for most now, bad streams, ZeRo losing a set to a Duck Hunt, that same DH getting a very narrow win over zinoto, the komo knockback situation.....

Another thing I wonder, is that if it had been at .9 since match 1 (as dabuz claims), why only redo game 4? Two whole sets have been done in .9 knockback....

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
On the 4th match, Zack edgeguarded Komo for days, I felt it was weird

But who changed the ratio ?

my_T

Smash Journeyman
33rd with solo Ness actually sounds pretty good. It's a pretty respectable placing considering how unkind the post DLC meta is towards the character. Even 49th honestly isn't that bad.

:059:
The placement makes their performance look prettier than what it really is. The only credible players Ness took down at this tournament was DarkShad (Shaky), 8bitMan (Shaky), and Zenyou (Lax?). DarkShad and 8bitMan are good wins but nothing amazing. Zenyou is just inconsistent as usual.

FOW had little chance of doing anything. Pit and Corrin poop on Ness pretty hard, especially Corrin. Then he get's sent to losers and has to deal with Sonic which is a really dumb MU.

Wasn't expecting anything from S1

Shaky had an okay losers run. He managed to dodge bad MU's at top level until he got to Marss.

I see your point though; 33rd and 49th is a decent placing for a character like Ness

freypies

Smash Rookie
Elegant thinks that it's harder to escape Bayo's hits at 0.9 launchrate

"it's actually harder to get out of bayos combos with that ratio, and i think Komo messed up spindash to back air cause of that"

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
They should still redo any matches that even might have had the ratio changed. There's going to be too many "what ifs" hanging over these tournament results unless they do that. Nobody will be able to take them 100% seriously.

DE235

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Decrosis
3DS FC
1977-0197-7138
I would understand if Komo took a break from the game after that. I hope he still plays the game after this.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Regardless, it's a universal change and it affects both players badly. Of course Bear or people running an event or anything in society will say everything was just fine, can't be looking bad.
There's no proof for Zero vs Dabuz, even if Dabuz is tweeting out it was different he could be memeing. It's hard to say but just watching game 1 of the Zero vs Dabuz vod alone it all felt fishy.

https://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/116649357
If anyone is wanting to watch it.

freypies

Smash Rookie
Google translate says "I lost all my passion for this game"

Wonder why that is? Is it because he lost or because of the launch rates? or something else?
Launch rate for sure imo. It didn't feel like a fair loss for Komo. Feel bad for both him and Zack.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Kurogane Hammer verified

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Google translate says "I lost all my passion for this game"

Wonder why that is? Is it because he lost or because of the launch rates? or something else?
well......
I would understand if Komo took a break from the game after that. I hope he still plays the game after this.
IN all....
He looked super upset after the runback, Zack offered him the handshake and he completely rejected it.
But I guess the feeling was kinda mutuall, I knew by how badly Zack bodied him in the runback that Zack was angry, it felt way too rushed for usual Zack. It's understandable. A mistake that could cost a whole set, maybe even a whole tournament (komo could've had some good run and won the whole thing), was made.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Anyway, not watching the rest of G4

The fact that all legitimacy of top 8 can be put into question and the TOs are just like "welp that's just how the cookie crumbles" just stripped all hype away from it

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
@Das Koopa Considering the TOs are unwilling to properly fix the problem, I'd recommend that for your data 1-7th all get the same amount of points.

End of the day, we don't know how many sets are effected, and we know of at least one that was but they aren't fixing it. Really the smash community as a whole should basically write off this tournament's results as a 8 way tie. Pot should be split accordingly as well but we know that ain't going to happen.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
@Das Koopa Considering the TOs are unwilling to properly fix the problem, I'd recommend that for your data 1-7th all get the same amount of points.

End of the day, we don't know how many sets are effected, and we know of at least one that was but they aren't fixing it. Really the smash community as a whole should basically write off this tournament's results as a 8 way tie. Pot should be split accordingly as well but we know that ain't going to happen.
Ehh...It's changed now, and half the top 8 still has to play. 5th and 7th, maybe, but that's it.
Komo played Abadango at Zero Saga and beat him, and he'd probably lose to Mr R or Zero anyways.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Yeah, I think I'm done watching G4.....I'll keep myself informed of the results but stream-wise, I'm done.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

But, as you said, we don't know how long it has been like this. The entire tournament could have been 0.9 for all we know.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Never know if there could've been a possibility of Dabuz and komo moving on, with mr. r vs dabuz and komo vs aba. Can't tell now cause Genesis only wanted a singular game replayed from the 8 games played on .9 ratio.

Unfortunate turn of events for the people in losers but of course the winners through all this will prolly not care much (especially captain zack with defeating Abadango now)

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
That's the problem with having this ruleset change; what matches were legitimate vs which were not?

Sucks for everyone involved, more organizers will def pay attention to this moving forward.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
But, as you said, we don't know how long it has been like this. The entire tournament could have been 0.9 for all we know.
We don't. But nobody has voiced any suspicions outside of top 8 + we can prove at least one full set in top 8 was altered but not redone. That's a reasonable cutoff for now unless more evidence is given.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Man, Komo aside, I feel so bad for Zack

I really think this was his true breakout tournament to show what he could really do and this whole debacle has ruined it for him

Can't get over how sloppy their management of the situation was, and how it has cost those in the loser's bracket (save maybe Zero)

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Man, Komo aside, I feel so bad for Zack

I really think this was his true breakout tournament to show what he could really do and this whole debacle has ruined it for him

Can't get over how sloppy their management of the situation was, and how it has cost those in the loser's bracket (save maybe Zero)
I thought of this too.

Zack finally has his breakout....... which nobody will take serisualy because of this.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Why would it ever be set to 0.9? Regarding whether or not it was 0.9 the entire tournament.. that needs to be checked. TBH this stinks of sabotage.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Yeeeah the way this tourney was run was an absolute train wreck. They also didn't fix problems when they came up and now the launch rate wasn't right? Ugh just ugh this is supposed to be a major tourney, not amateur hour at a friends house. Then there's some of the players losing their tempers wtf?!?

Top Bottom