• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Genesis 4 Discussion Thread

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Random killthrow? Theres nothing random about them. Here's the thing, when "not heavy" characters fight "not heavy" characters, they live long, not usually above 150%.

I think the tournament was fine, pretty good even. Sure mistakes were made, but ultimately I doubt the results would change.
That's hard to argue with Bayonetta.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
For me the competitive integrity of this tournament went down the gutter with that bs controversy, it's simply not fair to players like Dabuz and Komorikiri who work their butt off to be good at this game competitively only for this kind of stuff to happen.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
For me the competitive integrity of this tournament went down the gutter with that bs controversy, it's simply not fair to players like Dabuz and Komorikiri who work their butt off to be good at this game competitively only for this kind of stuff to happen.
I don't think this is fair to the players like Mkleo, Ally, and Zero who also work their butts off.

They made a mistake, it sucks, but mistakes happen.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
It's also really nice how they haven't appreciated the fact that Komo saved the rest of the goddamn tournament by noticing the KB ratio. Like srsly. He does them a huge favor and gets scapegoated for it and cheated out of a proper set. Sorry but its a joke really. He should be monetarily compensated.

There also needs to be word on why the sets couldnt be replayed offstream.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I don't think this is fair to the players like Mkleo, Ally, and Zero who also work their butts off.

It's not and I am definitely not going to downgrade them, Leo and Ally definitely earned this tournament but for me at least, I only see this tournament as a TO failure, not the glorious stacked major that was last year's.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Regardless of how "bad" this tournament was in people's eyes because of the damage ratio fail, medal, not enough sets streamed and whatever else, the only sets effected by the 0.9 ratio were Dabuz vs Zero and Komo vs Zack. Not everything else and especially not anything before that should be questioned (at least not because of that).

They definitely should've redone the affected sets, though. If there's no time then stream the winner sets in the meantime. Sucks we wouldn't be able to see them, but this is BS. You can't really take such altered physics seriously at all. They change the game completely.

The 1 game Komo got "back" didn't help him that much.
I've noticed him going for uthrow -> upB -> fair at ~60 % on Bayonetta and missing it which was pretty weird. A few weird hits not KOing was also super weird to me. I was 100 % sure uthrow would've KO'd Bayo in game 4 (prior to them noticing the damage ratio change) and thought fthrow was just a little stale and generally uthrow KOs earlier..
I've also noticed Komo was adapting to it throughout the matches, though. He was going for uthrow -> nair at the % where usually you'd need the uthrow -> upB -> fair. It was pretty weird, but everyone, including myself just "went with it".
Same with Dabuz vs Zero where they weirdly lived some killmoves. You can only just confirm it when checking the ratio, or have practiced these things and know what works when against the other character with 100 % certainty.

This also threw Komo off when they switched back to 1.0 for the redone match they had, where he tried to go for his adapted (to the ratio) combos, but they didn't work anymore. It was clearly seeable this really threw him off a lot.

Anyway, this really sucks, but people shouldn't stop watching or calling everything really bad in my opinion. It was still amazing to watch the other sets. Just make some uproar to the TOs that they should've redone the sets and it sucks.
But don't discredit the whole tournament and the other wins of the players!

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
zero/zack should be counted as if they got 7th place and their legitimate set wins should be counted in set records

that's my opinion, anyways

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I needed that laugh badly.
Dear god. The sheer levels of incompetence shown at this tourney is dumbfounding. It's like this tournament is a punchline from a bad comedy sitcom/movie . Right down to mispelling in a freaking trophy as the icing on the cake .

You almost need to try in order to screw things up this bad.

Last edited:

bushy Royo

Smash Rookie
Too bad i cant switch my user name to royo..... but yea "ROYO" the hidden challenger has arrived on tuesday. lookin forward to smashin with yall. i know ill find someone better than me i have too

Xanadu Games  

Website
Directions
4.5Address: 3921 Vero Rd, Arbutus, MD 21227

freypies

Smash Rookie
The 0.9x launch rate was not the only problem with the tournament. Apparently a lot of players got their brackets messed up by the TOs as well.

There were many more examples than the one provided below, such as Marss/Kameme instead of Larry/Kameme, etc. Read the tweets stemming from this one as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
i did it, i found a local tourny thats weekly lol
Too bad i cant switch my user name to royo..... but yea "ROYO" the hidden challenger has arrived on tuesday. lookin forward to smashin with yall. i know ill find someone better than me i have too

Xanadu Games  

Website
Directions
4.5Address: 3921 Vero Rd, Arbutus, MD 21227
Hello there! Welcome to the forums! It's awesome that you've found a tournament (Smash @ Xanadu, too), however, this isn't really the thread for this. Try here!

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...fire-emblem-hero.439953/page-66#post-21576210

What about Zack? I get that you all probably hate Bayo but seriously? He worked super hard this tournament, beating ANTi and Aba while taking Mr. R to game 5 even factoring out the Komo thing.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Hello there! Welcome to the forums! It's awesome that you've found a tournament (Smash @ Xanadu, too), however, this isn't really the thread for this. Try here!

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...fire-emblem-hero.439953/page-66#post-21576210

What about Zack? I get that you all probably hate Bayo but seriously? He worked super hard this tournament, beating ANTi and Aba while taking Mr. R to game 5 even factoring out the Komo thing.
I don't hate Bayo at all, heck I use her occasionally, what I meant is that it isn't fair for players to just play out like that and not be properly compensated, what ticks me off the most however is that the TO's don't even want to recognize their mistake and instead try to blame the players for it. Mad props to Zack, a shame many won't take this seriously because of this fiasco.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

Komo Zack and Dabuz especially.
I saw a facebook post of a guy who watched zack and said "bayo carries him". Naw man.....he did such a good job playing.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Why did they have Coney announce the launch rate scandal on stream?

If anything, they should have had Steve Harvey do it.
steve harvey reading.jpg

In all seriousness, this has been quite a mess of a tournament. Especially considering they had some of Smash 4's premier TOs, this whole thing comes across as a huge letdown from a spectators point of view coming from the stream. Multiple issues throughout the weekend really started to drag the experience down, and the launch rate issues discovered really was the final nail for it.

Still proud of the many players successes, though. It sounds like based on some of Vayseths Facebook posts that they've been discussing in great depth to Bear and the others a ruling and other things they can do to prevent stuff like this from happening ever again.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQmaqjMnunI
Please watch this (at your own discretion, it's a video by Omni, strong language may be present).

The reason I am posting it here right now is a single phrase he uses:
"By starting the game, both players willfully accept that everything's in order"
It actually stretches out to "by not stopping the game quickly enough", but anyway. Point being that, even if other matches besides those two sets of Top 8 were altered, players willfully agreed to their conditions and accepted the results.
Dabuz didn't make any important comment about it, he accepted the result, such as any other person that might have played with altered settings.

THAT BEING SAID, I personally have attended many tournements, and also am a TO myself.
I know firsthand that things sometimes do not come out as expected. A setting may be changed on accident, a random event might prevent a set from properly running (just today I had a contestant reporting me that his bank account got hijacked for example), and a lot of stuff can happen that we may or not have control over.
I do not blame the G4 staff for the 0.9 issue.
I do not blame Zack for that either.
I do not blame either Dabuz or ZeRo.
I di not blame Komorikiri for being upset.
But what really grinds my gears is the half-assed decision of the TOs of only repeating ONE GAME. Which takes me back to Omni's video: you either restart the set or sets that may have been affected or take it as it comes, that decision was simply the worst possible one for everyone involved.

Anyway, my personal suggestion is to take this whole event as a learning experience for future tournaments to come. Sure, it had a lot of details to polish, but let's not downplay the hard work people put into making this kind of event possible in the first place.
:196:

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
When people say *they* tried to scapegoat Komo for what has happened ... who are they referring to? The TOs?

:059:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think anyone tried to scapegoat anyone as far as I know.

It's just the TOs made a questionable decision on what otherwise could have been seen as a simple accident.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Maybe it doesn't fit the exact definition of a scapegoat but when komorikiri brought up the 0.9 issue the TOs turned around and blamed HIM for the problem. That made him seriously upset. Then they lazily only repeat the GAME and not the entire SET as what should've been done. Heck even one of the mods says that's what should've been done. You don't blame the player who brings up the issue of causing the issue, that's not right.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Maybe it doesn't fit the exact definition of a scapegoat but when komorikiri brought up the 0.9 issue the TOs turned around and blamed HIM for the problem. That made him seriously upset. Then they lazily only repeat the GAME and not the entire SET as what should've been done. Heck even one of the mods says that's what should've been done. You don't blame the player who brings up the issue of causing the issue, that's not right.
If Komorikiri had changed it, he wouldn't have told the TOs about it, he would've waited to see how long it took until somebody else noticed it was changed. How did the TOs fail to notice this?

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
When people say *they* tried to scapegoat Komo for what has happened ... who are they referring to? The TOs?

:059:
I'm not the one scapegoating Komo, but some Twitter personalities speculated that Komo accidentally changed the launch ratio when stage striking, as Japanese players tend to go to the options to stage strike using Random Stage Select to overcome the language barrier.

I'm not supportive of the theory, just restating the speculation of others to answer your question.

Last edited:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I'm honestly just curious as to how someone could alter the damage ratio by accident anyway. It's the sort of option you have to be actively seeking out in order to
change it...

Fenny

Smash Ace
I'm not the one scapegoating Komo, but some Twitter personalities speculated that Komo accidentally changed the launch ratio when stage striking, as Japanese players tend to go to the options to stage strike using Random Stage Select to overcome the language barrier.

I'm not supportive of the theory, just restating the speculation of others to answer your question.
Well KuroganeHammer confirmed that it was 0.9 even when Zero and Dabuz were going at it so that's incorrect

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I'm honestly just curious as to how someone could alter the damage ratio by accident anyway. It's the sort of option you have to be actively seeking out in order to
change it...
Well, they have to go into the menu to change the rules anyways, so it's possible that someone accidentally set the knockback ratio while scrolling down to the more rules page to set the time limit. I've done stuff like that.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
thinking about it

leo/ally in top 3, abadango/mr r in 5th, and zero/dabuz/komo/zack in 7th, plus losers set wins that weren't played on 0.9x, are the only competitively defensible results from top 8 of this event. the entire top 8 is otherwise too tainted to take seriously.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I wonder if having simple mods in place for tournament set ups that change the default settings so 2-stock, 6 minutes, pause off, team attack on was in order the moment the console was booted up could be considered. The reason this likely happened was because someone had to go into the options menu to change the settings and toggled it to 0.9 by accident. With mods set up so the console is booted up that way on default it could minimize the likelihood of this happening again, and since it is not changing anything visually there would be no conflicts with Nintendo.

You could maybe even implement a mod that makes it so that is the only option available.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The sole idea of using mods might cause conflict with Nintendo.
It might work for a lot of events, but not for ghese Tier 1 sponsored tournaments.

A lot of people are blowing it out of proportion, it was a simple accident that can happen to anyone.
My biggest gripe is about how it was handled when it was brought to the staff's attention.
:196:

Last edited:
Top Bottom