• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Genesis 4 Discussion Thread

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
While not too important and maybe not needed, Captain Zack did use Wii fit trainer and Peach Vs Chag and one with both so shouldn't they be included?

Also, this tournament has been terrible to the viewers but great to the players. Personally I am still enjoying it, but they could of had 2ggaming stream some losers matches instead of Towerfall.
tbh I don't think there's been a national that was great to both the players and viewers for like, an entire year.

I don't understand how and why it's so hard for tournaments to get it right for the viewers. It seems so simple! Have 2 streams for top 32, one for winners, one for losers. Use alternate streams for doubles. Have a singles stream for ALL of round 2 pools, not just 1/4th of it. There you go! You'd think the actual tournament would be the hard part, but for some reason people have trouble with the streams part.

Like, I understand some matches won't get streamed. There's nothing you can do about it. But you can AT LEAST stream more than like, 15% of the matches. Most top 32 matches should be on stream. Eapicially top 16.

And that Wi-Fi should have been fixed way before this. How did they not notice how bad it was? I feel like SOMEBODY should have noticed the Wi-Fi wasn't working properly.

Edit:As a bonus, they got it right last year in Genesis 3!!!! How did they not notice that worked really well???!!! They should have used that setup again!!!! It's like getting rid of something perfect for a way worse version.

Edit 2:
According to GIMR, the venue basically refuses to admit that the bad internet is their fault (the evidence is that whenever one stream dies, they all die simultaneously). Before the event, they were promised by a multi-million dollar company that runs the venue that the internet would be fine.
This reminds me of my brother's internet when he first moved into his apartment. The company said they had amazing internet......

......It worked (slowly) for 5 minutes and then didn't work at all afterward, no matter how many times somebody came over to it to "fix" it.

Pretty much every wi-fi company says their Wi-Fi works fine and is the best and most liked wi-fi in the world. Most of the time, they are wrong. The TOs there really should have tested the wi-fi before the tournament started.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
According to GIMR, the venue basically refuses to admit that the bad internet is their fault (the evidence is that whenever one stream dies, they all die simultaneously). Before the event, they were promised by a multi-million dollar company that runs the venue that the internet would be fine.

Some people here less familiar with esports in general might not be aware of this, but often times venues and convention centers have very different ideas as to what it means to have "good internet," and no amount of technical explanation beforehand can fix their mistaken notions.

It's why MLG used to literally drive satellite trucks out to their tournaments, to make sure they had a good internet connection.

Obviously Smash is not at the point that we can afford that.

Also, Ranai going out in 9th (?) is disappointing, but man, for a guy that doesn't even play Smash 4 that much anymore he is still ridiculous.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

Some people here less familiar with esports in general might not be aware of this, but often times venues and convention centers have very different ideas as to what it means to have "good internet," and no amount of technical explanation beforehand can fix their mistaken notions.

It's why MLG used to literally drive satellite trucks out to their tournaments, to make sure they had a good internet connection.

Also, Ranai going out in 9th (?) is disappointing, but man, for a guy that doesn't even play Smash 4 that much anymore he is still ridiculous.
Does he play anything or has he moved on from gaming?

|RK|

Smash Marketer

According to Aba's Twitter, Ranai still plays quite a bit

Illuminose

Smash Ace
leo hasn't used marth all tournament, only cloud. there's a greater likelihood we will see the marth vs mr r, but you can't give marth credit for how far he got.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Guys, I just realized something.

Last year's grand finals is going to be the first match of losers top 8, with one of them going out at seventh.

How far we've come, huh?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Also, Ranai going out in 9th (?) is disappointing [...]
If placing 9th at one of the biggest tournaments in smash 4 history is really considered "disappointing" it only goes to show what an absurdly high standard has been set by that player. Ranai's truly one of a kind.

:059:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Yeah 9th at Genesis isn't a disappointment that's 9th outta 1000 players that's superb

Now what is disappointing is FOW at 49th and Shaky at 33rd. I get this is probably thier first super major since forever (I know FOW went to Zero Saga but that was 367 players compared to 1000 which takes way less endurance to go through) but still l legitimately expected them to place higher. I hope they both keep going to tournaments now instead of disappearing again.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Schedule says 12 PM PST to 4 PM PST :)
For those who don't know (just to save you a google search), that's 3 pm-7pm in EST.
Guys, I just realized something.

Last year's grand finals is going to be the first match of losers top 8, with one of them going out at seventh.

How far we've come, huh?
Which match is that?
*Matchstick 20's How Far We've Come starts playing*

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
ZeRo vs Dabuz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmRMDb6iH0
Still to date one of my favourite sets of all time.
Ah.
Figure now's a good time for predictions I have....
Ally vs Aba-If aba chooses to go only mewtwo, I feel ally will probably take it from him either 3-0 or 3-1. Aba could take it though, depending on if he goes Meta Knight. Alll in all I feel ally will win.
Mr R vs leo-I guess I could see Mr r taking this, unless leo sticks to marth and MK.
Dabuz vs ZeRo-I solidly believe ZeRo's gonna take this from dabuz, no doubt.
Komo vs Zack-Zack's probably gonna take it, komo feels like he's been slipping a tiny bit, but there's still a possibilitty of komo taking it.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Top 8 Predictions

What I think will happen

Ally:4mario:3-2Abadango:4mewtwo:
MKLeo :4marth: 3-1 Mr.R:4sheik:
ZeRo :4diddy:3-0 Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar:
Komorikiri :4sonic:3-2 Captain Zack:4bayonetta:
MKLeo:4marth:3-2 Ally:4mario:
ZeRo:4diddy:3-1 Mr.R:4sheik:
Komorikiri :4sonic::4cloud2:3-2 Abadango :4mewtwo:
ZeRo :4diddy:3-1 Komorikiri :4cloud2::4sonic:
Ally:4mario:3-2 ZeRo:4diddy:
MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:2-3 Ally:4mario:
MKLeo:4marth:3-1 Ally:4mario:

What I WANT to happen

Ally:4mario:> Abadango:4mewtwo:
MKLeo :4marth:> Mr.R:4sheik:
ZeRo :4diddy:<Dabuz :rosalina::4olimar:
Komorikiri :4sonic:<Captain Zack:4bayonetta:
MKLeo:4marth:> Ally:4mario:
Dabuz > Mr.R
Captain Zack > Abadango
Dabuz > Captain Zack
Dabuz > Ally
Dabuz > Leo
Dabuz > Leo

If you can't tell...

#321Luma

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Smash gg says top 8 hasn't started and it's quarter past 3? Zmeloee or 64 or whatever's on stream going a little late?

freypies

Smash Rookie
tbh I don't think there's been a national that was great to both the players and viewers for like, an entire year.
That's not true. From what I've heard, almost everyone seemed to love ZeRo Saga, and the stream for that was phenomenal for the spectators too!

freypies

Smash Rookie
Sucks that ZeRo found himself in losers so early, he eliminated 3 of my favourite players; he eliminated 3 of my 5 favourite players - VoiD, Nairo and ESAM.

Dabuz eliminated the other two - Marss and Elegant.

Man, the only players left in the top 8 that I kind of root for is ZeRo himself now.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Sucks that ZeRo found himself in losers so early, he eliminated 3 of my favourite players; he eliminated 3 of my 5 favourite players - VoiD, Nairo and ESAM.

Dabuz eliminated the other two - Marss and Elegant.

Man, the only players left in the top 8 that I kind of root for is ZeRo himself now.
I was really rooting for Elegant too, or Raito. Now I'm just rooting for Abadango because of M2 or Ally cause Canadian.

freypies

Smash Rookie
I was really rooting for Elegant too, or Raito. Now I'm just rooting for Abadango because of M2 or Ally cause Canadian.
I'm really happy though with how Elegant did this tournament, especially because this should help him get much better brackets going forward.

He had amazing wins over VoiD, Aba, Captain Zack, Pink Fresh, Rich Brown, Tyrant, K9sbruce, Zenyou, etc even before this tournament, and had some great placings such as 7th at Aba Saga. However, despite this, for whatever reason, he would be seeded extremely low and have terrible bracket luck. He got 17th at Genesis Saga, for instance, losing 3-1 to ZeRo and 3-2 to Dabuz. In ZeRo Saga too, he was fighting Zinoto and Trevonte really early, getting 49th (losing 2-1 and 3-2).

It is a testament to his skill that he was able to overcome that rough bracket this tournament, beating Salem, Fatality, and Mr. E, and barely losing 3-2 to both Dabuz and MK Leo. I really think that he is a top 25 level player when playing well and is a formidable opponent to even the topmost players of the game.

Him, JK, and Ito are players who should place high on the next PGR if they continue doing as well as they have been doing the past few months.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Yeah 9th at Genesis isn't a disappointment that's 9th outta 1000 players that's superb

Now what is disappointing is FOW at 49th and Shaky at 33rd. I get this is probably thier first super major since forever (I know FOW went to Zero Saga but that was 367 players compared to 1000 which takes way less endurance to go through) but still l legitimately expected them to place higher. I hope they both keep going to tournaments now instead of disappearing again.
FOW and Shaky's placement isn't disappointing at all. You just refuse to acknowledge the limitations of Ness.

What exactly were you expecting looking at their brackets? Pit, Rosa, Sonic, ZSS, Cloud, Corrin, M2, Sheik, MM, G&W and possibly more. Most of these characters being backed by top level players and most of them are really bad MU's for Ness.

You still seem to have this unrelenting hope for this character. Ness isn't good. Accept it. This isn't an anime. FOW and Shaky aren't going to unlock some new power every time they face a stronger opponent and even if they were fighting for a 1,000 friends it's not going to make Ness any better...unless one of those friends is Sakurai...then it's a maybe

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
33rd with solo Ness actually sounds pretty good. It's a pretty respectable placing considering how unkind the post DLC meta is towards the character. Even 49th honestly isn't that bad.

:059:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
ZAAAAAAAAACK

With the Witch Time, On T&C, 10 seconds left.

Edit: wait what .9 launch rate and a runback?!

Man, G4 has been just laughably run

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
CaptainZack feels like he's contending pretty hard for position of best Bayonetta player right now.

Salem kind of reminds me of Mango. He gets stupidly explosive but it's also clear he lacks a lot of consistency. While Zack's third match against Komo could be considered a "lol Bayo" fluke, the fourth match was an insane test of patience on Zack's part. He doesn't have as many top tier names on his belt but I feel that is likely to change soon.

EDIT: THEY HAD LAUNCH RATES WRONG?!

Oh my god this is embarrassing

Last edited:

Fenny

Smash Ace
Y A R E
Y A R E
D A Z E

You better runback ZeRo vs. Dabuz too what kind of weak excuse

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
So those Zack forward throws where Komo lived to 200...some sonic bthrows too. wow.
Edit: Not to mention Zero and Dabuz

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Wait so this means there redoing both Zero bs Dabuz and Komo vs Zack fights?

Last edited:

freypies

Smash Rookie
Genesis 4 has been so poorly run in so many aspects, after how good Genesis 3 was this is kind of ridiculous...

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
CaptainZack feels like he's contending pretty hard for position of best Bayonetta player right now.

Salem kind of reminds me of Mango. He gets stupidly explosive but it's also clear he lacks a lot of consistency. While Zack's third match against Komo could be considered a "lol Bayo" fluke, the fourth match was an insane test of patience on Zack's part. He doesn't have as many top tier names on his belt but I feel that is likely to change soon.
Yeah so after that last match I feel even more convinced.

Top Bottom