• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I kinda mained G&W in Brawl for similar reasons I like Ganondorf. I like really hard hitting characters, and I also liked his techchase and edgeguard game a lot.

I won a money match against Princess Aura a long time ago in a G&W ditto, and she gave me a drawing in exchange. That's probably my favorite story about my G&W days.
Interesting...I never thought about Game and Watch that way. Certainly not that he's similar to Ganondorf XD
That's a pretty awesome story tho. thanks!

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I kinda mained G&W in Brawl for similar reasons I like Ganondorf. I like really hard hitting characters, and I also liked his techchase and edgeguard game a lot.

I won a money match against Princess Aura a long time ago in a G&W ditto, and she gave me a drawing in exchange. That's probably my favorite story about my G&W days.
It's a shame they gutted his F-smash & D-smash though, they were pretty brutal in Brawl.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Is it me or do characters not roll as far away when they tech Aerudo? Sheik has a stupid long roll for Gerudo but doesn't seem to do so on Aerudo? Or am I too lame to not tech properly in Training?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Is it me or do characters not roll as far away when they tech Aerudo? Sheik has a stupid long roll for Gerudo but doesn't seem to do so on Aerudo? Or am I too lame to not tech properly in Training?
Do you have the Wii U version? It may just be very tight timing or something, but I can't seem to tech Aerudo for w/e reason in training mode either.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Do you have the Wii U version? It may just be very tight timing or something, but I can't seem to tech Aerudo for w/e reason in training mode either.
This is the Wii U version yes. I tried choking Sheik and teching as Sheik myself and it seems the best option for Sheik is getup attack. The roll is less distance then the grounded choke tech.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364

Heavy hitting characters? In that case, what made you main Mario in Melee? Isn't he like the complete opposite of that, having trouble KOing and whatnot?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Heavy hitting characters? In that case, what made you main Mario in Melee? Isn't he like the complete opposite of that, having trouble KOing and whatnot?
Because I grew up on Mario, my absolute favorite character.

Though my Ganon in Melee is pretty solid. Not that he's super hard to play or anything, but I do think I play him relatively competently.

Actually, the real reason I main Mario in Melee is because he's actually kinda braindead competitively. He chaingrabs a bunch of characters forever on top of having generally ridiculous free combos out of throws, his F-smash is actually semi-broken due to being totally safe on block, and his invincible edgedrop game is also pretty braindead due to his B-air. I often like playing simple characters, because it lets me focus less on my own character and more on matchups. It's a shame he gets bodied by properly played space animals and Sheik. If those characters didn't exist, Mario would probably be top tier, and nobody would argue Doc was better.

But to be serious...I play Mario, G&W, and Ganondorf in all the Smash games. Including 64. Don't ask. Just believe.

Also, don't get me wrong when I imply Ganondorf fundamentally is a simple character. I believe that is precisely one of the big charms to a lot of grappler playstyles, how it shifts the focus away from your own character, but to what your opponent can do. To me, it's a very efficient way of actually playing and learning the game simultaneously.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Because I grew up on Mario, my absolute favorite character.

Though my Ganon in Melee is pretty solid. Not that he's super hard to play or anything, but I do think I play him relatively competently.

Actually, the real reason I main Mario in Melee is because he's actually kinda braindead competitively. He chaingrabs a bunch of characters forever on top of having generally ridiculous free combos out of throws, his F-smash is actually semi-broken due to being totally safe on block, and his invincible edgedrop game is also pretty braindead due to his B-air. I often like playing simple characters, because it lets me focus less on my own character and more on matchups. It's a shame he gets bodied by properly played space animals and Sheik. If those characters didn't exist, Mario would probably be top tier, and nobody would argue Doc was better.

But to be serious...I play Mario, G&W, and Ganondorf in all the Smash games. Including 64. Don't ask. Just believe.

Also, don't get me wrong when I imply Ganondorf fundamentally is a simple character. I believe that is precisely one of the big charms to a lot of grappler playstyles, how it shifts the focus away from your own character, but to what your opponent can do. To me, it's a very efficient way of actually playing and learning the game simultaneously.
Oh trust dude, I'm not complaining about that POV, because honestly the reason I play Ganon in Melee and PM (though I play Falcon in PM as well) is because my tech skill is garbage in those games, and I have an easier time short hopping and L-canceling with him than other characters. That, and I'm not having to worry about crouch cancels too much since I can powerhouse everything. lol

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I love not using what's' considered Top Tier characters.

In Melee when everyone was picking the speedsters I stuck with Link. In Brawl I stuck with Link. In Sm4sh, I love using Wario, Duck Hunt, and now Ganon.

With Ganon I feel I have to use my brain more and be patient. Make good reads on what my opponent wants to do. I often find myself wanting to play the cat and mouse game even though Ganon is slow instead of just being patient and finding an opening.

With Wario it's about how creative I can get with racking up damage. Bike, Chomp, fAir, dtilt all to set up for a Waft.

With Duck Hunt it's about how creative I can get by making obstacle courses for my opponents to get past my projectiles and then finding an opening to charge and be aggressive.

I beat a few Diddy Kongs on FG. All they did was dThrow and uAir for pretty much the entire match. I beat one because I pulled a random uTilt and I don't think he was expecting it, and I beat another with the fTilt connecting as the Diddy Flip was in the air approaching me. It was just beautiful.

I beat some Sheiks on FG by playing like a boxer. Don't get greedy, make Sheik keep trying to attack you. If they try the short hop fAir, read it and uAir before they get to that spot. Jab here, and Ftilt there, a bunch of dtilts and a few Chokes and Wizard Foots later it's game time.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Shameless plug incoming.

Psssst, you guys want to find matches? Go to fsmash.org. It's a little site full of (Mostly) good players and finding a game there is incredibly easy.

Go look!

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Holy moly, Bair is ridiculously powerful. It killed Mario and Robin at like 86% without rage. I never killed that early with his other moves(except smashes of course but Bair is so damm fast).

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Ganon is so fun to play. I think he really teaches you about punishing and reading in this game, cause my matches using Ganon either tend to be really uphill, or me keeping a ton of momentum.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Ganon is so fun to play. I think he really teaches you about punishing and reading in this game, cause my matches using Ganon either tend to be really uphill, or me keeping a ton of momentum.
AGREED.

When I'm using him and I'm up 2-1 on stocks people try to play overly aggressive right where I want.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
So how has everyone been doing this fine New Year?

I'm still trying to get back into classes
I'm doing university work at 5:30am my time while Simultaneously being deeply pumped that my bro won Beast5....while also being salty that I wasn't at Beast5 myself because I legit think I could have been right up there in the top 4 at least

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Hey, Bloody. Good to see you again, dude.

Also, my eyes shot shot open as I was trying to sleep upon a realization: if I win that tournament on the 24th, I might be able to make Apex.

Time to tell the story of the boot!

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Hey, Bloody. Good to see you again, dude.

Also, my eyes shot shot open as I was trying to sleep upon a realization: if I win that tournament on the 24th, I might be able to make Apex.

Time to tell the story of the boot!
Make it, for the Dorfs.

I was planning to go so eagerly, but had to cancel it due to in real johns. I'm attending a tournament a week before at the 23rd, and planning on doing my best there.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Just curious as a light answer, what MUs do you think Ganon has an advantage in?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I personally think Ganondorf currently wins 55/45 against:

Doctor Mario, Kirby, Link, Little Mac, Mario, Metaknight, ROB, Toon Link, Wario, and WFT.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
So I just got back from Beast 5, a fun tournament! I entered the Sm4sh tourney and got 17th with Ganon, which is nice (finished second in my pool, so I'm happy with that!). I now know a lot of stuff I need to work on, oh and you Ganons who are going to Apex, practice against Diddy, Sheik, Zero Suit and RosaLuma. Those characters are every where! Altough I'm sure you guys know that.

Anyway, I did kinda well against the Sheiks, though I need to work on my baiting stuff and OOS options, I still have no clue what to do against Diddy, any of you guys have any advice?

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
So I just got back from Beast 5, a fun tournament! I entered the Sm4sh tourney and got 17th with Ganon, which is nice (finished second in my pool, so I'm happy with that!). I now know a lot of stuff I need to work on, oh and you Ganons who are going to Apex, practice against Diddy, Sheik, Zero Suit and RosaLuma. Those characters are every where! Altough I'm sure you guys know that.

Anyway, I did kinda well against the Sheiks, though I need to work on my baiting stuff and OOS options, I still have no clue what to do against Diddy, any of you guys have any advice?
Yeah, i saw you there in the stream, you did pretty well!
Also do you have some tips against Sheik?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Gotta admit... the tourney thing not going smooth for me, my replays being pretty much full now, and, of course, just being busier irl has really killed my desire to play lately. Haven't played in a couple weeks and it was just silly FFAs with friends on New Years Eve.

Really, an update to the replay channel can't come soon enough. I want to move replays onto my flashdrive or an SD card so I don't have to keep going through and deleting stuff. I know it's not all great or even good in some cases, but when you've filled your Wii U's capacity on replays, it's not fast or easy picking out the dispensable stuff. Lots of looking at lots of replays which is time consuming and not how I really want to spend my time when I turn on Smash, heh. I could probably lose a good 10% to 15% of all I've replayed without feeling like I was getting rid of something special, fun, or memorable though. But at the rate I was saving, even assuming I consciously slowed down and got pickier, I'd fill that space again fairly quickly. So yeah, replay channel update that's supposedly supposed to be a thing in the future... hope it's a soon future.

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i saw you there in the stream, you did pretty well!
Also do you have some tips against Sheik?
It's a tricky one, you can punish Sheiks f-tilt with a quick d-tilt (learn to buffer that out of shield! I still need to practice that myself). Mostly I feel like the match up on Ganons part is all about knowing what you can punish and being careful with your shield since most Sheiks are grap happy, and with good reason (Sheiks grabs are amazing). If Sheik is not careful enough you can bait Ganoncide (FYI I won five tourney games with Ganoncides, no one had Ganon experience! If you know this is the case, Ganoncide is a legit option for at least one game) for a quick win, however this really only works in one game, they'll quickly simply grap center stage once your at the edge and spam needles (that's what most Sheiks did against me), but that allows you to recover safely, so scaring Sheik off-stage with Ganoncides is a good thing.

Right now there are a few things I want to test. Firstly when Sheiks descends on you with f-air and follow up with a grab or a jab, I wanna see if Ganon can time a well placed grab between the f-air and the follow up. This works on Greninjas (Greninjas like to do the same, but with nair) descending nair, but only if it's poorly space, if it's correctly spaced you can't punish, you have to shield or retreat (You can see the nair coming and challenge with uair, but that's a different story). It might be the same case with Sheik.

However, the Sheik matchup is one I still need to practice myself and discover some things that are useful and figure out the neutral game.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
It's a tricky one, you can punish Sheiks f-tilt with a quick d-tilt (learn to buffer that out of shield! I still need to practice that myself). Mostly I feel like the match up on Ganons part is all about knowing what you can punish and being careful with your shield since most Sheiks are grap happy, and with good reason (Sheiks grabs are amazing). If Sheik is not careful enough you can bait Ganoncide (FYI I won five tourney games with Ganoncides, no one had Ganon experience! If you know this is the case, Ganoncide is a legit option for at least one game) for a quick win, however this really only works in one game, they'll quickly simply grap center stage once your at the edge and spam needles (that's what most Sheiks did against me), but that allows you to recover safely, so scaring Sheik off-stage which Ganoncides is a good thing.

Right now there are a few things a want to test. Firstly when Sheiks descends on you with f-air and follow up with a grab or a jab, I wanna see if Ganon can time a well placed grab between the f-air and the follow up. This works on Greninjas (Greninjas like to do the same, but with nair) descending nair, but only if it's poorly space, if it's correctly spaced you can't punish, you have to shield or retreat (You can see the nair coming and challenge with uair, but that's a different story). It might be the same case with Sheik.

However, the Sheik matchup is one I still need to practice myself and discover some things that are useful and figure out the neutral game.
I go alot for Ganoncides myself, even if i don't succeed it's usually enough to ward them of the edge for a while.
I think you can grab sheik out of a F-air but it's very precise, most of the time she can attack faster than i can grab.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Hey guys! This is my first post here. I'm just recently picked up Ganondorf as a second main and am trying to integrate myself into the Smash community. If you don't know me I generally active on the Snake DLC thread and SSB4 Ike thread. I prefer to play big, heavy, strong characters, such as Ike and Snake. It was natural that Ganondorf was a good fit for my play style. I look forward to our great discussions!

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Hey guys! This is my first post here. I'm just recently picked up Ganondorf as a second main and am trying to integrate myself into the Smash community. If you don't know me I generally active on the Snake DLC thread and SSB4 Ike thread. I prefer to play big, heavy, strong characters, such as Ike and Snake. It was natural that Ganondorf was a good fit for my play style. I look forward to our great discussions!
Welcome to hell. So you are also a Ganon and Ike main? We should smash sometimes.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Sounds awesome.

So does Ganondorf have any defensive options? If so, how may? Is he more offensive or defensive.?
Keep in mind that slow hard hitters in general are best played patiently and defensively. You can get a bit more aggresive if you have the momentum on your side, for example if your opponent is in the air right above Ganon where he can put serious hurt on them. Bait and punish.

Think of Ganon as Ike with less range and a less reliable Jab but strong juggle game and more KO power.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Keep in mind that slow hard hitters in general are best played patiently and defensively. You can get more a bit more aggresive if you have the momentum on your side for example if your opponent is in the air right above Ganon where he can put serious hurt on them. Bait and punish.

Think of Ganon as Ike with less range and a less reliable Jab but strong juggle game and more KO power.
Brillant. How useful is Ftilt? I've used it a couple times and it can outright wreck some characters recovery.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Brillant. How useful is Ftilt? I've used it a couple times and it can outright wreck some characters recovery.
It has many uses. It is a good spacing tool, good punishment tool for rolls(pivot ftilt), spotdodges, it is still a fast kill option even if it is stale at high percent and for lil mac it can even serve as an edgeguard. Since Ganon is a scary edgeguarder and Ftilt usually sends you off stage, it is a good set up for edgeguarding too. Probably forgot something, but yeah.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
As Ganondorf people have to be wary of your Flame Choke when you make it back to the stage because if they try to edgeguard you from the edge of the stage they run the risk of getting Ganoncided. Which you can use to your advantage. Once it happens to your opponent once if they get too greedy they tend to wise up and respect you.

Same with Fair. If you scare them enough with a passive aggressive playstyle(basically defensive but attacking when you know they left an opening) they will always respect Fair because they don't want to take that hit. And it hits like a truck when it does.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I personally think Ganondorf currently wins 55/45 against:

Doctor Mario, Kirby, Link, Little Mac, Mario, Metaknight, ROB, Toon Link, Wario, and WFT.
Just to add to this, I believe Ganondorf is disadvantaged against:

Diddy, Duck Hunt, Greninja, Luigi, Rosalina, Peach, Pikachu, Mega Man, Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi, Villager, ZSS

Everything else is very close imo. Most of our matchups all revolve around how quickly you figure out your opponent and not taking unnecessary damage before then. Ganondorf is always a difficult character to play as because of how important it is to make good decisions. However the rewards for playing well are immense, when he can end stocks in situations no other character would be able to. Even against players that know what they are doing.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Sonic's not that bad imo. His pros aren't really any more effective Vs Ganon than Vs most top chars.
Ganon on the other hand, swat and punish Sonic harder than most chars.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Someone like ZSS or Luigi does better vs sonic because good projectiles help a lot vs Sonic. However I don't think Sonic is unwinnable for Ganon. I just think his punishes are overpowered overall.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Just to add to this, I believe Ganondorf is disadvantaged against:

Diddy, Duck Hunt, Greninja, Luigi, Rosalina, Peach, Pikachu, Mega Man, Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi, Villager, ZSS

Everything else is very close imo. Most of our matchups all revolve around how quickly you figure out your opponent and not taking unnecessary damage before then. Ganondorf is always a difficult character to play as because of how important it is to make good decisions. However the rewards for playing well are immense, when he can end stocks in situations no other character would be able to. Even against players that know what they are doing.
Yeah, f**k the Pikachu matchup. A matchup where not only can the character run circles around you easily and edgeguard you with ease, but can win against your trades, something that Ganon normally excells at? No thanks. >.<

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ adom4 adom4 Our connection is one of the less solid ones out there, but we had some very good games. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom