• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Two of the biggest threads are pretty much locked, for whatever so I might just be dipping out speculation for a while where everybody can have a reset again.

Speculation for Fighter 5 has gotten so annoying, that it’s not even fun anymore to the pin twhere I don’t care and would like to move on to post-pass characters. Within this next month or so speculation is going to get so heated that we’re going to tear each other apart.

Might come back when we actually get some kind of direct announcement, so until then Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays you guys.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
So that's why VR Plant was so quiet. There was nothing to announce. The same with Verge and Sabi, everything makes sense now. Anyway, i'll quit Smashboards for now. I'll come back when something interesting as a Direct announcement happens (hopefully this year). Happy holidays everyone.

Edit: If not in a Direct, they'll probably announce fighter 5 at EVO Japan 2020, which will be held at january 24. It's going to be a loooooooong wait.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Cool to see that MUA3 is still being worked on. With how little Nintendo promoted the last DLC pack, I'm glad to see it's not yet forgotten. Since X-Men are only getting 4 characters, I guess the Fantastic Four will come with either She-Hulk or Dr. Doom as the last character to fill the CSS slots.

Muppets/Untitled Goose Game was the big highlight IMO. I'm very tempted to play it, but I'm also kind of holding out hope for a physical release, like from Limited Run Games. I hope Untitled Beaker Game becomes actual DLC.

No More Heroes continues to be a series I need to take a look at.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is cool to see win Players Choice, though I think the FE community are being bad winners from what I've seen so far.

Can't say I'm surprised there being no Smash news, though despite my previous posts I was hoping out some hope. On the bright side, at least when we do get new news we won't have to wait as long for it to release. As sick as I am of the town gossip wars, I guess they'll hear more the closer we get to an actual announcement. If we don't get anything next week, a Early/Mid Janurary Direct it'll be probably.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
For me, based on the game awards and everything, im waiting for 2 things. Speculation/Rumors to pop up, or a direct. At least we were promised a fighter before February 2020, so we can expect a reveal soon, maybe? Probably January, tho they didn't have a January direct last year. Who knows. I just want to get fighter 5 out of the way so some of the more requested characters will come, possibly.

I really want to see if that Cacodemon/Mallow leak is real/fake. My guess is we'll get them at E3, assuming it's real. It's frustrating to be someone who speculates smash rumors rn.. we are going to have to wait a while unless a direct or other rumors pop up.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am not angry because there was no 5th character reveal, nor that Smash lost GOTY; it is just that once again it was such a lackluster show. From last year I was under the idea Geoff finally realized he had to be impartial in order to do a better show; but I am done with this. Will not watch the show next year nor in the future, and this man Geoff wants to be the face of video games world wide, when clearly he is biased towards western media with strong "progressive" themes.

Oddly he did seem a bit insulting at Nintendo when the family category appeared.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Two of the biggest threads are pretty much locked, for whatever so I might just be dipping out speculation for a while where everybody can have a reset again.

Speculation for Fighter 5 has gotten so annoying, that it’s not even fun anymore to the pin twhere I don’t care and would like to move on to post-pass characters. Within this next month or so speculation is going to get so heated that we’re going to tear each other apart.

Might come back when we actually get some kind of direct announcement, so until then Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays you guys.
Even when the Geno thread gets unlocked I don't know if I'll go back. The spark is gone, everyone is going to be walking on eggshells and I'm sure this is going to embolden everyone who raided last time to raid it AGAIN and it get it locked for good.

Geno discussion is stagnant and there is literally nothing to talk about and there's only so many times we can regurgitate the same moveset concepts over and over again, and now that the hammer dropped; no one is going to want to even talk

I hate this speculation cycle so much, you have no idea. This isn't fun anymore, this is tedious and draining. I don't feel like I'm working towards a solution to a problem like I was during Banjo spec, I feel like the finish line is being gradually yanked away.

I don't blame people for wanting to dip. I am fed up beyond belief with this insipid game of Guess Who Sabi keeps yanking us around on so they can stay relevant because they know they're nothing without Smash.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm out too for a bit. Time to just enjoy the holidays and wait for the next Direct.

You guys have been one of the only bright spots about all of this though interacting and talking with you all had been a blast. And I just hope character #5 and beyond are characters we enjoy.

See you all when I see you.
Has anyone told you these boards need more wholesome posters like you

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I am not angry because there was no 5th character reveal, nor that Smash lost GOTY; it is just that once again it was such a lackluster show. From last year I was under the idea Geoff finally realized he had to be impartial in order to do a better show; but I am done with this. Will not watch the show next year nor in the future, and this man Geoff wants to be the face of video games world wide, when clearly he is biased towards western media with strong "progressive" themes.

Oddly he did seem a bit insulting at Nintendo when the family category appeared.
Geoff is just a journalist that likes to celebrate games and has no say in the games nominated or awarded.

I also didn't pick up any insulting tone for the family category when everyone made the joke that Nintendo had it in the bag because all the nominees were Nintendo games.

StormC

Smash Hero
Disappointed at no Smash reveal, and the lack of Nintendo news at TGA in general...

But after the results of today's UK election, it's a very mild disappointment compared to the soul crushing defeat there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I said a Smash announcement would have been overkill based on what the rumors implied so it's honestly good nothing panned out. That fact that a lot of people were naming 5 and 6 together gives me hope for a January Direct or even a random Smash Direct before Christmas.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I have to say, even Smash got snubbed big time, seeing Fire Emblem: Three Houses win the Player's Voice award was pretty nice.

So... highlight of the night, definitely Reggie's entrance :shades: :

His speech was epic as well. At least we got some Reggie being Reggie out of all this... worth it.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
once again it was such a lackluster show. From last year I was under the idea Geoff finally realized he had to be impartial in order to do a better show; but I am done with this. Will not watch the show next year nor in the future, and this man Geoff wants to be the face of video games world wide, when clearly he is biased towards western media with strong "progressive" themes.
My first game awards show, and will be my last too. Was curious to see what it was like, but I admit I did find it quite boring, although that could be because of the games on show, not the show itself.

I think the selection of games up for nomination play an important part. There weren't any real heavy hitters this year, so I guess I tuned in at the wrong time for my first time.

I didn't mind how fast the nominees were read, or how quickly they moved on.

The games this year, and the new worldwide announcements, just weren't very exciting.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I said a Smash announcement would have been overkill based on what the rumors implied so it's honestly good nothing panned out. That fact that a lot of people were naming 5 and 6 together gives me hope for a January Direct or even a random Smash Direct before Christmas.
I'm pretty solid on a January Direct to be honest. Nintendo has a lot they can show for next year and some of their January Directs have been huge, especially if you include 2017's Switch reveal. Combine that with Directs usually coming 2 months apart, last one in November, last character due out before February, Nintendo's latter half of 2020 looking light, and yeah I'd say a January Direct is at LEAST likely.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm pretty solid on a January Direct to be honest. Nintendo has a lot they can show for next year and some of their January Directs have been huge, especially if you include 2017's Switch reveal. Combine that with Directs usually coming 2 months apart, last one in November, last character due out before February, Nintendo's latter half of 2020 looking light, and yeah I'd say a January Direct is at LEAST likely.
Wait, there wasn't a Direct in November, just Terry's reveal unless I remember wrong

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wait, there wasn't a Direct in November, just Terry's reveal unless I remember wrong
Well, ****, you're right. Bodes even better for a January Direct. Also, holy **** the last Direct was in September...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm surprised more people aren't considering the possibility of a game-specific Direct next week. From what I've heard, Indie presentations are usually closely followed by Directs, and we just had a Nindie showcase this Tuesday.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Happy Friday the 13th, everyone. I would say to avoid bad luck, but The Game Awards already happened.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Well, that was somewhat of a disappointment.

One can only wonder about the clout of Fighters Pass #5 if the Game Awards weren't an appropriate time for them to be revealed.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm surprised more people aren't considering the possibility of a game-specific Direct next week. From what I've heard, Indie presentations are usually closely followed by Directs, and we just had a Nindie showcase this Tuesday.
Even if we get a Game specific one, it'd have to be Smash or no dice. We never get reveals outside of General or Smash Directs.

The only hope is it'd be Smash-focused.

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, that was somewhat of a disappointment.

One can only wonder about the clout of Fighters Pass #5 if the Game Awards weren't an appropriate time for them to be revealed.
Might be that Sakurai wants to lay out how Post-Pass is going to go, but we'll just have to see on that.

Also, really surprised that CoD Mobile took home mobile game of the year. Must mean there are some things going really well for it. It's notable not just since it's CoD - but also since it's developed by Tencent's TiMi studio, making it the first Chinese game to get a TGA.

I still have that sneaking suspicion that Tencent really wants to get into Smash (via LoL, I'd guess). And I'm someone who's in favour of a LoL character getting in, just really iffy on the company owning Riot to say the least.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Man, The Game Awards have never been about the actual awards, but it felt really egregious tonight. It's like if the Oscars decided to be about unveiling new Disney trailers the entire time. I get that you want to keep people engaged, but half the people who got up on stage were celebrities, forward facing gaming celebrities and name developers. Awards being given out in batches of three with no chance for the developers to speak shows just how little we actually value the creative side of this industry and it's just gross.

Microsoft unveiling Xbox Series X was cool, and I'm down for a sequel to Hellblade. In fact there were a few games I'm actually excited for! But man was it badly paced and full of the kind of game announcements in genres that I very much doubt we'll be seeing at the Game Awards in a year or two.

I'm not sad I stayed up to watch, the lack of Smash reveal was disappointing, but it was coupled with pandering to big companies (I mean what the hell was that Fast and Furious reveal?!) and awards being thrown out like they were nothing but still having time for Vin Diesel to come out and big up Fast 9.

Video games need to come a lot further before we have an awards show that actually feels like it rewards the craft that goes into making them.

The Muppets and Chrvches were great though

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Might be that Sakurai wants to lay out how Post-Pass is going to go, but we'll just have to see on that.

Also, really surprised that CoD Mobile took home mobile game of the year. Must mean there's some things going really well for it. It's notable not just since it's CoD - but also since it's developed by Tencent's TiMi studio, making it the first Chinese game to get a TGA.

I still have those sneaking suspicion that Tencent really wants to get into Smash (via LoL, I'd guess). And I'm someone who's in favour of a LoL character getting in, just really iffy on the company owning Riot to say the least.
That's what I've been feeling too lately.

We know we're probably getting a 2nd Pass, and this character's been in development since September or earlier, they're most assuredly in a presentable state by now.

What better time to explain how post-pass will work than showing off the last FP, then the first of the next wave.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just woke up, I take it from all the reactions that I didn't miss much...?

Oh well, at least people can't say that fighter 5 needs to be "game awards worthy" and whatnot since that ship has sailed now.

Hopefully we'll be hearing about the next Nintendo/Smash Direct soon...

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Indie directs and general directs are usually within a few weeks from each other and Nintendo usually does a January/February direct, so I wouldn't expect one until the first half of January.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Well that was whack. And I dont say this because no Smash. I say this because: Too much ads, not enough Nintendo. No hype.

Combined with I live in Europe and the show started 2.30am...

Never again.

I said good DAY sir!
It isn't so bad... lol... the next fighter is supposed to be released by February so the reveal is bound to happen in the next... 49.... days...

Joking aside, waiting for a bit more isn't so bad compare to let's say, the wait between Joker and Hero/Banjo... that was an eternity.

Shroob

Sup?
It isn't so bad... lol... the next fighter is supposed to be released by February so the reveal is bound to happen in the next... 49.... days...

Joking aside, waiting for a bit more isn't so bad compare to let's say, the wait between Joker and Hero/Banjo... that was an eternity.
The question I have is

Will we get news about whatever is happening post-pass when we get Fighter 5.

If they've been in development since or before September, it seems logical, considering that'd be about 5-6 months of development time.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One thing that's kind of confusing me though, why have people over the past dozen or so pages gotten their panties in such a twist over leakers? As far as I know, none of the usual suspects - Vergeben and Sabi, that is - have really directly indicated anything about there even being a reveal at the VGA. And shouldn't their "kill lists" for FP5 still stand?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
One thing that's kind of confusing me though, why have people over the past dozen or so pages gotten their panties in such a twist over leakers? As far as I know, none of the usual suspects - Vergeben and Sabi, that is - have really directly indicated anything about there even being a reveal at the VGA.
I 'think' Sabi said they heard about a new Crash game being shown off? Don't quote me on this.

But yeah, Verg's just given a flat out "I don't know who it is", and that's been his stance for awhile.

Polan

Smash Lord
way too damn close to christmas but we'll see. i personally think we're done with directs for the year and we're probably waiting till late january-early february for the next direct, which is not gonna be fun especially with all the vague rumor mongering going around.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
way too damn close to christmas but we'll see. i personally think we're done with directs for the year and we're probably waiting till late january-early february for the next direct, which is not gonna be fun especially with all the vague rumor mongering going around.
I mean, Rosalina in Smash 4 was announced in a Direct that took place on December 18th, and the final Smash 4 Direct was on December 15th. It's not too unreasonable to assume there might be something. At any rate, we only have to wait until, like, Wednesday next week before we can say for certain that there's gonna be nothing this year.

Shroob

Sup?
I definitely feel though that Fighter 5 isn't going to be this "BIG" character now though, especially since no one has the excuse of "They need to appeal to TGAs." It'll be a bog standard Nintendo Direct, or if all the stars in the sky align, a Smash Direct.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ending the fighter pass on a perceived 'bang' is meaningless when they've made their money off it. A huge character would be nothing more than a blip on the sales graph.

You save this "Big" character to start the 2nd Pass with to drum up hype and sales for it.

Let's theorize and say KOS MOS still is in the running despite not showing up tonight, and let's say we get a 2nd reveal in, idk, Crash Bandicoot alongside her.

What makes more sense?

KOS MOS as FP5 and Crash Bandicoot as FP2-1

or

KOS MOS as FP2-1 and Crash as FP5

The answer should be obvious.

I like KOS MOS, but in this theoretical situation, you don't start a pass with her, that's Crash's territory. KOS MOS is the kind of character you save for the near the end/the end because you push the 'popular' characters first to coerce that sweet, sweet early adopter moolah.

Last edited:
The question I have is

Will we get news about whatever is happening post-pass when we get Fighter 5.

If they've been in development since or before September, it seems logical, considering that'd be about 5-6 months of development time.
There's no way to know for sure but that's definitely a possibility,

D

Deleted member

I definitely feel though that Fighter 5 isn't going to be this "BIG" character now though, especially since no one has the excuse of "They need to appeal to TGAs." It'll be a bog standard Nintendo Direct, or if all the stars in the sky align, a Smash Direct.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Ending the fighter pass on a perceived 'bang' is meaningless when they've made their money off it. A huge character would be nothing more than a blip on the sales graph.

You save this "Big" character to start the 2nd Pass with to drum up hype and sales for it.

Let's theorize and say KOS MOS still is in the running despite not showing up tonight, and let's say we get a 2nd reveal in, idk, Crash Bandicoot alongside her.

What makes more sense?

KOS MOS as FP5 and Crash Bandicoot as FP2-1

or

KOS MOS as FP2-1 and Crash as FP5

The answer should be obvious.
Crash would definitely set the tone of Season 2. As for KOS-MOS, well, the pass already made its buck. It's really safe to end with her. And besides, you've got a whole ass season to start with.

Shroob

Sup?
Crash would definitely set the tone of Season 2. As for KOS-MOS, well, the pass already made its buck. It's really safe to end with her. And besides, you've got a whole ass season to start with.
To clarify things:

I'm only using KOS MOS as an example. I'm still not sold on it being her, but my point stands regardless.

We have a 2nd pass in development, and character 5 is going to be revealed via a bog-standard direct. They don't 'need' to be a 'huge' character, they've already done their part by just existing as character 5.

You save the heavy lifting for the first 1-3 characters to pull people in early.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm still pretty sure FP5 is KOS-MOS.
Why else was she the only character that Sabi and Vergeben's sources refused to deconfirm outright?

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still pretty sure FP5 is KOS-MOS.
Why else was she the only character that Sabi and Vergeben's sources refused to deconfirm outright?
At this point, while I'm keeping their deconfirmations in the back of my head and considering them probably true, Sabi and Verg have not been helpful tbh.

We potentially have a month or so to go, a lot can change behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom