• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
This hasn't been confirmed lol. They can still release DLC individually, they don't have to do another pass. Have you forgotten about the plant?
You're correct, but at the same time, Nintendo considered it a huge financial success.

At the moment, sure, we don't have 'enough' evidence to say one way or another but we both:

Know there's 10 blank spots, which, surprise, 5 is the magic number for passes

and

Know it was a "Huge success" financially

It could 'not' happen, but I 'personally' think they'll do a repeat performance since, hey, it worked the first time.

D

Deleted member

The Ultimate Alliance 3 DLC looks really good, more so with the new Danger Room.

Player vs Player battles are a thing I always wanted for the series.

Also looking forward to Bravely 2 and Wolf Among Us 2.

Shroob

Sup?
So what's next?
Direct worthy character discussions?
Who are Robin/Lucina-esque random trailer drop worthy characters?
Any character is worthy of a standard Nintendo Direct, the argument of needing to 'appeal' to a specific crowd(TGA audience), is now dead and buried tbh.

Fighter 5 can be as big or as small as you want them to be.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Gotta say though, if there isn't going to be a character reveal at all this month, FP5 must be revealed very closely to their release. Certainly less than what Terry had, with his roughly two months window between reveal and release.

And at the end of the day, it still seems like the "New!" thingy disappearing from the character and stage buttons on the Smash page is still the best indicator of when a reveal is imminent.
https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/index.html

Shroob

Sup?
Gotta say though, if there isn't going to be a character reveal at all this month, FP5 must be revealed very closely to their release. Certainly less than what Terry had, with his roughly two months window between reveal and release.

And at the end of the day, it still seems like the "New!" thingy disappearing from the character and stage buttons on the Smash page is still the best indicator of when a reveal is imminent.
https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/index.html
To be fair, Hero was announced at E3, and came out the following month.

There's definitely precedence for short release windows, especially if said character has been worked on internally for awhile.

D

Deleted member

Which announcements would one say was outright good and why is it NMHIII?
Besides NMHIII (unironically really fun and hype trailer), I also liked the UA3 DLC (player vs player battles will be exciting), Bravely 2 and The Wolf Among Us 2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I legitimately mistook the opening for Miyazaki and thought it was like, another Ni no Kuni game or something.
Suda does that a lot, hell, the teaser trailer for the original NMH was a fakeout too
Besides NMHIII (unironically really fun and hype trailer), I also liked the UA3 DLC (player vs player battles will be exciting), Bravely 2 and The Wolf Among Us 2.
The Wolves Among Us always sounded like a parody of The Last Of Us to me, so I'm honestly surprised it's somehow alive despite Telltale being bankrupt and not paying anyone

I.D.

Smash Lord
Let's theorize and say KOS MOS still is in the running despite not showing up tonight
I'm not sure if she still is. The kos-mos fanbase has run into the unfortunate situation that there is obviously a bunch of malicious people trying to get a kick out of them, despite being a relatively small fanbase. The sheer amount of fake leaks surrounding her, two brand new troll accounts on their thread yesterday pretending to be leakers, an unusually high number of "guests" monitoring their thread yesterday during the game awards and even a falseflag copyright strike against her done in the same day most people were expecting a reveal point to this. Nothing about her can be trusted and everything should be assumed to be fabricated. The only things she has going for her now are gamexplain betting on her and our two useless insiders not disconfirming her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it was worth it for seeing the Horrible Goose join the Muppets canon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So that's why VR Plant was so quiet. There was nothing to announce. The same with Verge and Sabi, everything makes sense now. Anyway, i'll quit Smashboards for now. I'll come back when something interesting as a Direct announcement happens (hopefully this year). Happy holidays everyone.

Edit: If not in a Direct, they'll probably announce fighter 5 at EVO Japan 2020, which will be held at january 24. It's going to be a loooooooong wait.
I don't think that's happening unless Fighter 5 is from a traditional fighting game.

D

Deleted member

I find it confusing that Geoff gushed over Joker's reveal for a month yet here we are.

I enjoyed the show more than I expected, but Sekiro winning as the true underdogs was the highlight. That was the game I didn't expect to win, yet here it is...

But damn, what are Nintendo, Sakurai, and Namco doing with FP5? It's been 3 months since Terry, and the wait will continue.
Terry released in November and we haven't even reached the midpoint of December; it's barely been 1 month.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
TGAs were... just fine. Nothing really earth shattering, but that back half of the show really didn't do justice after the first half was surprisingly solid. I mean, there were some pretty nice announcements/trailers for a lot of stuff:
  • Xbox Series X, while a weird as hell name (that actually kind of works), was actually a really cool get for Geoff at The Game Awards. It's not much, but the first proper reveal of a new console is cool no matter how little you may like Xbox as a brand.
  • Hellblade II is ****ing great and was one of the better reveals of the night.
  • Suda 51 brought his weird as **** style to The Game Awards with a trailer for No More Heroes III that just worked for his fans (I'm sure it confused the hell out of non-fans though, but still, it was great).
  • MUA3 getting another DLC announcement was a nice confirmation since I knew people had been concerned about that, even if I haven't played the game.
  • Bravely Default II means absolutely nothing to me, but I know some people really wanted to see this and it was a nice announcement.
  • Ghost of Tsushima still looks great and I'm happy it got this extended look.
  • Godfall looks interesting.
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake just has really damn good trailers.
And Geoff really did nail some of the extra stuff too. The Muppets segment was an obvious standout, Reggie had a great moment to present that Indie game award, Chvrches w/ the Orchestra was a great opening to the show IMO, and I think they did a good job recognizing other gaming individuals throughout the show with their spotlights.

It's just a shame that the back half collapsed with Green Day/Beat Saber and Vin Diesel + early Xbox 360 Fast & Furious as the "closing shows" were both just really bad. I understand Geoff was missing the Half Life Alyx trailer that was probably going to be a finale, but damn did it really, really show when the show just sputtered out at the end. It wasn't as bad as I'm sure some people think, but it was extremely inconsistent, focused way too much on weird fan service moments that were so heavily manufactured for the wrong audience, and Geoff not doing proper awards for like half the awards just feels like it kind of defeats the purpose of the show to some degree.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's fair that people is disappointed but being angry or upset seems illogical to me. Neither Nintendo or Geoff promised a Smash reveal. I mean I wanted and I expected FP5 being announced there, but it never was a lock.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So at this rate when should we expect FP5? Sometime this month or next year/January?

Imagine if we have to wait until February. Oh man...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Not to mock anyone, but I feel reminded about how one guy in the general newcomer discussion thread kept saying how the Game Awards was becoming something of an "E3 2" for Nintendo. . .
Uh, that sure didn't pan out that nicely.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
yo what the hell was that game award show, we only got one nintendo announcement and smash lost game of the year to a better game. Though Smash should have still won imo.

(i know im really late on this)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which announcements would one say was outright good and why is it NMHIII?
No More Heroes was interesting. It looks like it was setting up the overall plot of the game in the most elaborate bait-and-switch possible. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just relegated to one boss and we still don't know what to expect.

Bravely Default 2

That caught me off guard. I'm not liking the graphics, but I enjoyed the first half of Bravely Default 1. Plus they brought Revo back for music, and he made some amazing ****. I'm interested.

Superxav12

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-9971-2240
I only wanted smash news and some more info for the lego star wars game they announced at the last game awards. Im glad smash and luigi's mansion won awards tho

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’m kinda disappointed that there wasn’t anything on Shin Megami Tensei V. I guess it will have to be taken above the clouds in Manhattan to break the spell in order for it to be released at this point. :urg:

D

Deleted member

Anyone here who is expecting a Direct within the month...

Like this post.
Starting from 2016, we have never gotten a major direct in January. Unless Sakurai literally just announces a smash direct, we're waiting till February most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Starting from 2016, we have never gotten a major direct in January. Unless Sakurai literally just announces a smash direct, we're waiting till February most likely.
We didn't have a Direct this January. The first Direct of this year was in February.

D

Deleted member

We didn't have a Direct this January. The first Direct of this year was in February.
My point is if you look back the last three years, a major direct (like the February 2019 one) have never been in January.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so like

can we have our thread back now

or are the mods too afraid to let us frolic back home? :222:

D

Deleted member

so like

can we have our thread back now

or are the mods too afraid to let us frolic back home? :222:
Mfw the VGA was an elaborate ploy to contain all of the big discussion threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
And we didn’t have a major February Direct before this year since 2014. Anything can happen.

D

Deleted member

And we didn’t have a major February Direct before this year since 2014. Anything can happen.
You're right. Anything can happen. We have zero reason to believe in a January direct just like how we had zero reason to believe a fighter would be at the VGA. Let's not assume a January direct because we hope it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom