• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Bravely was the only good thing that happened. Rest of the show was a complete joke IMO.

Guess my original "No Smash at TGA" theory was right. Wasn't expecting it to be, but I guess January it is now. Oh well, I can wait.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Tbf, we literally still know nothing about the game besides the potential main antagonist.
The alien dude is probably the level 1 boss fight. His subjects all get killed in a cutscene. No More Heroes is that kind of game.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
when you think about it, each first general direct of the year pops one month sooner than the last

2017 was in April (Not sure if i'd count the switch presentation in January)
2018 was in March
and 2019 was in Februray

coincidence?
yeah probably

D

Deleted member

The alien dude is probably the level 1 boss fight.
Who are his other 9 sidekicks then?

Granted, maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. No More Heroes 2 advertised like 50 assassins to kill and 25 of them were all for one dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Still tired from staying up for TGA so I'll just quote my thoughts from the social thread:
Well, I actually managed to watch TGA live because sleep is for the weak so here are my thoughts in no particular order.
  • Crash Team Racing winning Best Sport/Racing Game is nice, especially over something like Fifa.
  • Speaking of, no Crash announcements at all. Not at the Playstation presentation nor TGA.
  • Fire Emblem winning multiple awards, including Player's Choice, it's come a long way from being a once niche series.
  • No first party Nintendo announcement.
  • XBox X looks like a literal brick.
  • Disco Elysium having a 100% success rate with 4 nominations and 4 awards.
  • Disco Elysium winning more awards than Death Stranding. Quite the surprise given Death Stranding had nominations in 9 categories and it being a Kojima game.
  • Speaking of Kojima, slow down and let translator-san catch up. Poor guy had to memorize a novel.
  • Sekiro winning GOTY over Death Stranding, Smash or Resident Evil was quite surprising, too.
  • Jump Force being nominated for Best Fighting Game still feels like a joke.
  • On the flipside, SNK finally getting some spotlight on the big stage with SamSho being nominated is great.
  • Resident Evil 2 got snubbed.
  • Bravely Default 2 is a thing even though Bravely Second already exists. Weird naming choice, but ok, I guess?
  • I'd totally play Goddamn Superheroes.
  • Wolf Among Us is back. Never thought that would happen.
  • Reggie and Ninja were hands down the best presenters.
  • Muppets were cute, though I feel like the goose skit went on for a tiny bit too long.
  • Rodriguez and Diesel were pretty awkward to watch.
  • Pretty sure she also was drunk.
  • I totally misheard her saying "Tekken game" as "the Ken game" and was confused for a second when Street Fighter was mentioned "but that's the game with Ken". Took me a bit to realize she meant Tekken.
  • Fast and Furious was a disappointing game to end on, especially because it looks more like a PS3/360 game.
  • Probably because Valve decided to cancel the Half-Life appearance, still wonder why.
  • I don't care for Green Day at all, so that was meh.
  • With how often Reggie mentioned "fresh" in his speech, I was totally prepared to make a Pizza Hut joke, only to be beaten to the punch because said segment was presented by Subway: Eat Fresh TM.
  • Samsung and Linus really want me to buy a TV I don't even have space for.
  • Also don't forget to play Magic and get your Stadia today.
  • That one Dungeons & Dragons trailer looked really bad. I thought it was a joke at first.
  • Last year we got Persona 5's Joker for Smash. This year DC's Joker for MK11. What's next, Persona 2's Joker for BlazBlue Cross Tag? Literal playing card Joker for KoF? What a bunch of Jokers.
I might be forgetting stuff, I'm still quite tired, after all.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
They were.... decent.

Ironically i think i managed to predict 95% of teh awards, even the GOTY, and control honestly is looking neato in general.

The nintendo side was a little underwhelming, Bravely default 2 (i though it was 3? DX) looks interesting, may try the series, but never have tried No more heroes... otherwise, i was seriously hoping for a trailer of bayo 3 or SMTV :(.

Regarding the other games... i'm actually interested in the non cards magic games and non moba lol games... but only having teasers and non gameplay info, tahst a big bummer...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp seems like a direct is our only hope then and kos-mos seems fair game now along with anyone else that haven't been demolished by verge & sabi

also I think we learned a very important lesson today
ANYONE CAN MAKE A FAKE LEAK
08738091-4DF7-49A1-8E96-C0A42C985B3D.jpeg

DE5FC514-2483-4CFE-9351-85FD5A859682.jpeg
Nothing against kos-mos but im just glad we’re not ending with 4 more after the pass & that the first 2 post pass characters remain unknown.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Control is great. I'm glad they didn't snub that s***. Here's a trailer for those who didn't know about it until last night.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
After thinking about it some more I believe Half-Life: Alyx was meant to be the finisher of the show before Valve pulled the plug for whatever reason. Oh well, I hope Valve Time doesn't hit too badly.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So with Kos-Mos looking to not be the Fifth Fighter and what happen to the VGAs, have we learned a lesson?
2ea128dd-8888-46ec-aad8-9e598a290d68.gif

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
God I hope it's not on February...
If it's in February that's a high chance it's a day-of reveal and release. The hype would be pretty overwhelming.

However, like the Lucina and Robin reveal, there's also a high chance it can be in it's own separate mini-Direct.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So when does the newcomer tread open back up?

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Nintendo should have showcased the highly anticipated husbando game of the year Boyfriend Dungeon.

11 year old me would have loved this. Current me is old enough to truly appreciate the ever living f*** out of it. Must buy; day 1 purchase. It is the distaff counterpart to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but a dungeon crawler/dating sim hybrid; you are compelled to find as many weapons as possible. Those cheeky dastards know exactly what they are doing. Boyfriends. Dungeons. It has everything! This is our Magic Mike in a sea of Michael Bay films. Unf.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Just woke up, I take it from all the reactions that I didn't miss much...?

Oh well, at least people can't say that fighter 5 needs to be "game awards worthy" and whatnot since that ship has sailed now.

Hopefully we'll be hearing about the next Nintendo/Smash Direct soon...
So that's why VR Plant was so quiet. There was nothing to announce. The same with Verge and Sabi, everything makes sense now. Anyway, i'll quit Smashboards for now. I'll come back when something interesting as a Direct announcement happens (hopefully this year). Happy holidays everyone.

Edit: If not in a Direct, they'll probably announce fighter 5 at EVO Japan 2020, which will be held at january 24. It's going to be a loooooooong wait.
While I do agree with all of this and the whole “it doesn’t need to be a big character for the TGAs” I just point out even if we do get a regular and standard Nintendo direct next month, I just want to point out that Cloud was revealed through a regular Nintendo direct!

So, it could still be possible that it could still be some big character and they just weren’t ready to be shown off. Just saying, so we could still be in for a big surprise, now that the Game Awards is out the way.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
y'all still trusting the so-called "leakers" when most of em were banking on a reveal last night?
I particularly enjoy how Sabi is implying that he specifically said there wouldn’t be a reveal and that we should therefore trust him and apologize when all he really said was that there could be or couldn’t be. If you look back on a lot of Sabi’s statements, you’ll realize that most of them are incredibly vague so that they can retroactively fit into whatever the true outcome is.

Also, guaranteed their sources were unsure about KOS-MOS because of the greentext leak, which definitely opens up the idea that neither of them know who the next character even is.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I guess something we've learned is that as long as the "NEW" marker is still up on the official website, we shouldn't expect a reveal in the near future. It seems like the one thing that's been consistent throughout Ultimate's entire speculation period is that it goes away 1-3 weeks or so before we get a reveal.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I do agree with all of this and the whole “it doesn’t need to be a big character for the TGAs” I just point out even if we do get a regular and standard Nintendo direct next month, I just want to point out that Cloud was revealed through a regular Nintendo direct!

So, it could still be possible that it could still be some big character and they just weren’t ready to be shown off. Just saying, so we could still be in for a big surprise, now that the Game Awards is out the way.
Definitely, but as Shroob Shroob said, it doesn't have to be a character aimed at a specific crowd, which was what the main arguments with the game awards was generally about.

With Directs they tend to be more open to whoever they reveal there, regardless to how recognizable to a mainstream audience they may be.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we gotta wait until February I'm taking a break from this site.

I still want those 3 hours of my life back.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I know absolutely nothing about NMH but yesterday's trailer already has me convinced that this will be worth the money. Can't wait to see gameplay!
Welp seems like a direct is our only hope then and kos-mos seems fair game now along with anyone else that haven't been demolished by verge & sabi

also I think we learned a very important lesson today
ANYONE CAN MAKE A FAKE LEAK
View attachment 252792
View attachment 252793Nothing against kos-mos but im just glad we’re not ending with 4 more after the pass & that the first 2 post pass characters remain unknown.
The second one doesn't say anything about TGA though?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I particularly enjoy how Sabi is implying that he specifically said there wouldn’t be a reveal and that we should therefore trust him and apologize when all he really said was that there could be or couldn’t be. If you look back on a lot of Sabi’s statements, you’ll realize that most of them are incredibly vague so that they can retroactively fit into whatever the true outcome is.

Also, guaranteed their sources were unsure about KOS-MOS because of the greentext leak, which definitely opens up the idea that neither of them know who the next character even is.

I really hope that last statement really is the case.

Because that latest Verge kill list had all of my most wanted characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom