• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really hope that last statement really is the case.

Because that latest Verge kill list had all of my most wanted characters.
I think people overreact to disconfirmations. Sure, if they are real, your character isn't in the pass.

But we will get additional DLC. No reason to treat FP5 like it's the end of the world.

D

Deleted member

I know absolutely nothing about NMH but yesterday's trailer already has me convinced that this will be worth the money. Can't wait to see gameplay!

The second one doesn't say anything about TGA though?
Some though the game award one comes true Making that one too

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Are the lazy mods going to reopen the newcomer thread yet?
ya know? after the sour mood the game awards has left most of y'all in, i think there's a legitimate reason why the newcomer thread has yet to open up again

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
User was warned for this post
Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I think people overreact to disconfirmations. Sure, if they are real, your character isn't in the pass.

But we will get additional DLC. No reason to treat FP5 like it's the end of the world.
Problem is though, we don’t know how many are left. Sakurai said “a little more”, though to be fair, he did say “fighter” to describe the E3 reveals.

And I have no idea whether or not they will continue the direction of this fighter pass. That is my main concern, since all of my most wanteds are third party.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Problem is though, we don’t know how many are left. Sakurai said “a little more”, though to be fair, he did say “fighter” to describe the E3 reveals.

And I have no idea whether or not they will continue the direction of this fighter pass. That is my main concern, since all of my most wanteds are third party.
Plus its also been 3 months since we got our last reveal. A tease at least would had been nice.

That and were running out things to speculate about.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Starting from 2016, we have never gotten a major direct in January. Unless Sakurai literally just announces a smash direct, we're waiting till February most likely.
Eh, we had a mini Direct in 2018 that had a bunch of bombshells in January. So I'm not sure that's really the best way to approach this current situation. Nintendo has basically dropped a whole bunch of new stuff, and 2020 is looking fairly barren since all we know is Animal Crossing and XC: Definitive Edition. With no big name announcements and more uncertainty about what comes next, there is more of an impetuous to do a Direct sooner rather than later I would think. Plus, the only real consistent thing is that there has been a "beginning of the year Direct" since it hasn't been consistently in February, so I don't think the conclusion here is necessarily all that earned.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
That game awards was terrible...even Geoff seemed bored at points. I thought for sure we'd get FP5 at least and I was holding out hope for BOTW2 along with a new Crash game, said crash game by the way was stated by Sabi to be at the awards, and we got nothing.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Another question I’d like to raise relates to how these sources apparently know who the character hasn’t been since around October 20th, as that was around the time Sabi claimed that Crash and Ryu weren’t it. Sabi claims that their source kept Terry to themselves for about a month, which makes no sense to me based on their source’s sudden insistence since then on spilling who the fighter isn’t. Why did Sabi/Verge’s “sources” not have faith in Terry to the point where they only backed him after Nintendo leaked SNK themselves nearly ~2 days before the reveal, yet do have faith in information that was given to them nearly 2 months ahead of time to the point where they can confidently say who it isn’t? Both Verge and Sabi are essentially riding on their past credibility to stay relevant (seriously, Sabi won’t stop bringing up his past success OUTSIDE OF SMASH as reason to trust him now), yet that doesn’t mean that we should always have 100% faith in them, for the circumstances around their smash information as of now leaves room for doubt. Seriously, if they couldn’t back Banjo, Terry, or Joker (neither of them even predicted Joker) until either another leaker backed them or Nintendo leaked it themselves, why should we believe that their sources have known who 5 is for a couple of months, especially when Nintendo has kept a pretty tight lid on nearly everyone else thus far?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Frankly we are approaching the time in December when the final Smash 4 Direct was aired.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what do you guys think the chances are for an Direct being announced next week?

Wishful thinking perhaps but it could happen. Still saying we're probably waiting until January though.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
“Everyone yelling about game awards being bad and no FP5 reveal”

Me: aaaaand?

Not to shocked this was the case

Anyway thought I would show this for the fun of it

There was a problem fetching the tweet

“Still shocked anybody doubts me” your kidding right you lost credit because of game awards

D

Deleted member

When the regular thread opens back up can we agree to have this policy?
View attachment 252795
The mods straight up banned Sabi talk in the Geno thread. Can we get that rule in the newcomer thread too?

Eh, we had a mini Direct in 2018 that had a bunch of bombshells in January. So I'm not sure that's really the best way to approach this current situation. Nintendo has basically dropped a whole bunch of new stuff, and 2020 is looking fairly barren since all we know is Animal Crossing and XC: Definitive Edition. With no big name announcements and more uncertainty about what comes next, there is more of an impetuous to do a Direct sooner rather than later I would think. Plus, the only real consistent thing is that there has been a "beginning of the year Direct" since it hasn't been consistently in February, so I don't think the conclusion here is necessarily all that earned.
None of those were major directs, which was my point. Everybody is clamoring for one when FP 5 can be revealed and released in February.

Though, maybe a lack of Game Awards announcements could mean January direct. That's me thinking very optimistically, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Just throwing this speculative theory (and prediction) out there...

I think a Fighter 5 announcement at the TGA would have been a thing if not for Nintendo deciding to have a Season 2. Can't say when Nintendo decided they were doing a 2nd Season, but the announcement likely would have changed the trajectory of Season 1 announcements.

...In particular, I think Nintendo's new plan is to announce Fighter 5 AND Season 2 Fighter 1, as well as the number of Season 2 characters. Which means they need a bigger, more focused segment. And TGA would not suffice.

Again, just a theory.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Forgiving mods or pitying mods? :secretkpop:

Sour? Most everyone who isn't Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester has their salt all gone by now.
Might be wise to stay on the cautious side and let the drama subside a bit more.

But why is that? Were they exposed as a fraud?
Things got a little too heated there too. Understatement.

Also,

(Edit: Probably a joke render, especially since I couldn't find the source. See here.)

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

You're right, there's still another wave of DLC where people's favorite characters can get passed over again.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I think a Fighter 5 announcement at the TGA would have been a thing if not for Nintendo deciding to have a Season 2. Can't say when Nintendo decided they were doing a 2nd Season, but the announcement likely would have changed the trajectory of Season 1 announcements.

...In particular, I think Nintendo's new plan is to announce Fighter 5 AND Season 2 Fighter 1, as well as the number of Season 2 characters. Which means they need a bigger, more focused segment. And TGA would not suffice.

Again, just a theory.
They Probably will not a reveal 2 characters at once, but might reveal fighter #5 and then give us a outline of how future DLC might look, such as another fighter pass or something different.

D

Deleted member

It caused nothing but off-topic drama that was brought in from other sites, and people kept bringing it up in spite of being told to stop.
Which begs my point, can we have that apply to the newcomer thread too? It causes similar issues.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
“Everyone yelling about game awards being bad and no FP5 reveal”

Me: aaaaand?

Not to shocked this was the case

Anyway thought I would show this for the fun of it

“Still shocked anybody doubts me” your kidding right you lost credit because of game awards
“...as I said it didn’t sound like it’d be.”

Real statement on a smash reveal:

His Batman leak also only came out literally a couple of hours before the game was shadowdropped, and he was not the first source of this information.

Also, note this other tweet where he specifically mentions “other TGA reveal info.”

Sabi did not leak anything that was shown at the Game Awards this year.

One more thing, Sabi keeps bringing up his past leak of a Nindies presentation as reason to trust him:

Sabi did not leak anything from the most recent Indie World showcase.

Take Sabi with a grain of salt.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
look on the brightside, we only need to wait til February max

it's not like we aren't in the know of where the deadline is

Smash 4 DLC was rough lemme tell ya

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Again, just a theory.
I agree with this. Also, last time we had a double announcement was for Banjo and Hero, and between Joker and Banjo/Hero we had to wait more time than for any other announcement. So it's possible that they will announce the last fighter in february (or end of january) and release it right after the announcement, while also teasing the first post pass character in the same direct/wathever. Sad but makes sense.
I just hope that if this is the case, they won't leave us without any news from january/february to E3 like last year, that was boring. (well to be honest, last year the pause without informations was from TGA to E3, so even longer).

I hope that in a week or two they will do a december direct and announce FP5, but it's unlikely.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah I thought Sabi was just speculating (and I see it was becauses his source wasn’t even sure), but nah, he’s gonna use it as a reason to trust his cred and continue with his ego.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This probably the fifth time I have asked this, but I’m still somewhat inconclusive on it.

What is this threads thoughts on Vergebens latest kill list? From 3-4 days ago, after his “clarification”?

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
This probably the fifth time I have asked this, but I’m still somewhat inconclusive on it.

What is this threads thoughts on Vergebens latest kill list? From 3-4 days ago, after his “clarification”?
Verge is just as shaky as Sabi when it comes to Smash DLC, as he was unable to leak Banjo, Joker (didn’t leak Joker at all), and Terry under similar circumstances to Sabi, as in needing to wait for someone else to say it first. His main claim to fame is Erdrick, as I believe his leak was before the datamine, so I’d give him a bit more credibility. However, his quickness to jump on Minecraft content as well as Sabi jumping onto the Brew leak without checking their sources makes them both untrustworthy. At least Verge has his ego in check...

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Verge is just as shaky as Sabi when it comes to Smash DLC, as he was unable to leak Banjo, Joker (didn’t leak Joker at all), and Terry under similar circumstances. His main claim to fame is Erdrick, as I believe his leak was before the datamine, so I’d give him a bit more credibility. However, his quickness to jump on Minecraft content as well as Sabi jumping onto the Brew leak without checking their sources makes them both untrustworthy. At least Verge has his ego in check...
iirc, verge did leak banjo, but that was right after shinobi started teasing

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Broke: X should be in Smash
Woke: Horrible Goose should be a permanent member of the Muppets.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
iirc, verge did leak banjo, but that was right after shinobi started teasing
If you want to go further back, Papagenos' Microsoft source heard Banjo & Kazooie back during the Grinch leak.

I'd just say ignore both of them until they can name us a character they are sure they know is in.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
It seems like people really don't want to believe Sabi & Verge because they don't like the stuff they're hearing with all the deconfirmations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom