• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee (who's going to take over?)

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
And who do you main? Who do you play again? Do you actually play this game or do you post in the forums for fun/recognition of sorts? Whats your motive kid. Why do you have the funny picture:psycho:

@ Slox you left me out :(
funny picture? thats howlin wolf, show some respect *****.
also for the majority of the time that ive been posting here i actually didnt play due to being sick for a year (didnt go to school or work for that year either, my doctor told me not to), but i picked it back up now in the beginning of june so now i do actually play. i main captain falcon

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
I'll take over to keep Melee from dying ,I coop myself in my house playing melee for hours till I get better. s***.....I've been doing it so long that now I think I'm tournament worthy now. The only problem is I ain't got no one good enough to practice on since no one in my family seems to like to play with me. My lil bro whose 15 just kills himself intentionally or quits after I get rid of his first stock or if I combo him, and my older bro rarely play but at least he tries to beat me, and another thing stopping me is me being nervous when playing against new ppl, I don't wanna be the only new person if I go to a tourney :C. Most of the new ppl seem to going to brawl since its the latest smash game. If I don't go to a tourney then feel I improved my tech in vain. The only reason I did it so I can play people better and me and cuz its my favorite game.

All the tourneys I wanted to go to which was like 5....something important was going on. The upcoming first tournament I might go to is August 21...my brothers birthday is the day after that then 2 days after that is my mothers, and a week later on Monday is my fathers lol almost my whole family B-days is in August except me [insert sad face here]. I must be destined not to go to tourneys.

Dart!

Smash Master
if it stops being about who's gayer in the metagame and about having fun then melee's future will be bright. but alot of people are quitting because they're having less fun at tournament level and such.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
if it stops being about who's gayer in the metagame and about having fun then melee's future will be bright. but alot of people are quitting because they're having less fun at tournament level and such.
Melee community keeps shrinking more and more. I think a more liberal rule set would help tournament attendance. Like you said the game needs to be less serious and more about fun.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Who cares about that. If tourney attendance increases then mission accomplished.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Save the playtime for friendlies. Tournaments are there to test skill, not necessarily to have fun. I mean, by all means, if you want to just play around when you enter tournaments, that's fine. But those who strive for the top are going to play to the best of their abilities.

And, on a ruleset as strict as Japan's (FD only!), you can still have a lot of fun and win:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282738

Djent

Smash Champion
I don't want Melee to die. The game looks too fun. I mean, I've enjoyed playing Brawl casually for almost two years now. But the few times I played Melee at friends' houses years ago were priceless. If I enjoy Apex, then I'd really like to play Melee in the future as well, perhaps even making it my prime focus. Of course, this is assuming I decide to stick with competitive Smash, but if I do then you bet I'll play Melee too.

As far as the post about the shrinking community goes, that kind of sucks. But remember, you guys can definitely do something about that. From reading these forums, it seems like a large portion of the Brawl community follows Melee to some degree. I've seen Lee Martin's and ESAM's names listed in smaller Melee results threads before. From reading interviews, I know a host of others used to play as well (Inui, Atomsk, RichBrown, etc.).

Now, I know sentiments toward Brawl on this forum are kind of bitter. This is understandable, as I'm sure you were all expecting a better game. But you can't let this stop you from reaching out to Brawl players. Nowhere else is there a larger pool of potential Melee fans all gathered in one place. I can't speak for the entire community, especially as a relative outsider, but know this: some of us are very receptive to the idea of playing Melee.

The only thing that intimidates me about the Melee community is the stigma of being a Brawl player. I don't feel bad about actually liking the game, though. Brawl was my first Smash game, so I don't associate it with the same feelings of disappointment and inadequacy that veteran Smashers often do. However, this doesn't change the fact that Melee looks even more fun and rewarding. I'm sure I'm not the only newcomer that feels this way. If you can find others that feel like me, then I'm sure Melee will live on for a long time.

X1-12

Smash Champion
The UK melee scene has been growing consistantly for the last ages

its biggest tourney ever next week with 100+ entrants allready registered, this is like double the second biggest one in UK

If you don't think 100 is much, go on google maps and look how big the UK is compared to USA

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I made the decision a long time ago that the day I stopped having fun at this game, would be the day that I would quit.

You need to be having fun in order to play well. I don't see any point in paying venue and entry fees for a game you don't even enjoy. Winning is fun, yes, but if you don't love the game, then it isn't worth it.

At least for me.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
But if you have the skill or the means by which you can win, there's no point in paying venue and entry fees if you won't be getting the money back. And, like I said, just because you play in a tournament doesn't mean "NO YOU CAN'T HAVE FUN IN FRIENDLIES." You (not necessarily you but others included) make it sound like tournament matches are the only ones that exist.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Save the playtime for friendlies. Tournaments are there to test skill, not necessarily to have fun. I mean, by all means, if you want to just play around when you enter tournaments, that's fine. But those who strive for the top are going to play to the best of their abilities.

And, on a ruleset as strict as Japan's (FD only!), you can still have a lot of fun and win:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282738
You're being stupid if you think that the current legal stages are the only stages which test skill. Also if only a handful of people are showing up to test their skill then it's pointless. I'd rather have the community continue to survive than have some people pissed over new stages.

X1-12

Smash Champion
You evidently don't know what you're talking about.. Major tourney hosts like alex strife have already talked about reintroducing stages but so many players have threatened not to turn up if it goes through so the same old stages are being used again.

Its also not that other stages don't test skill, they just don't test skill fairly. Imagine a test when randomly some candidates just get free marks.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Lol and you're ******** if you were assuming that I thought that current legal stages are the only stages that ("that," not "which") test skill. Insults just make your arguments worse, but that's enough about that.

And you'd rather have the community survive than have some people pissed over new stages? This is like saying you'd rather keep someone alive who's suffered trauma so severe that they can't function at all on their own rather than them simply dying. I'm not going against your opinion for it is just that: an opinion.

But would you rather have Melee living a pitiful life where it's more "fun" (which inherently makes it casual) or would you rather have the tournaments be less "fun" and test skill with a ruleset that is agreed upon by all parties (because, if you don't like the ruleset, suck it up and don't go to the tournament in the first place)?

And, you keep avoiding my point that TOURNAMENTS AREN'T EVERYTHING. You think all the people who went to Pound 4, ROM, and the ones who are going to Apex that don't even make top 50 or whatever are going to say "oh man, i lost; time to go home." No, there's friendlies. Tournament matches can be fun, but they should be played to win. Friendlies can be played either seriously (but that's moar liek a "seriously" match) or in a casual mindset.

EDIT: And what X1-12 said, lol. And it wouldn't be so much as a random candidate. In the case of, say, Hyrule Temple, Fox has a mad camping game. In a testing scenario, that would be like knowing what's on the test and studying the answers.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Going to tournaments is the only way to, in essence, BECOME tourney viable. Many "sandbag" in friendlies, and don't really play to win. How many times have you heard someone say: "What? I wasn't trying worth **** when I played you." That's what make money matches so important. People play their hardest when there is money on the line, and playing others when they are playing to win is how one gets better at the game. At this level in my game, and I'm not alone, I go to tournies to learn, and not to win. Sure, I'm going to get owned in my pool, but tournaments are where I learn the most, and see a greater variety of playstyles, that will help further my own skills.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
You evidently don't know what you're talking about.. Major tourney hosts like alex strife have already talked about reintroducing stages but so many players have threatened not to turn up if it goes through so the same old stages are being used again.

Its also not that other stages don't test skill, they just don't test skill fairly. Imagine a test when randomly some candidates just get free marks.
A lot of pros threaten not to show up, if new stages are introduced my argument is that in time we'd gain more than we'd lose if new stages were to be introduced. There has been wide spread clamoring for new stages to be introduced, especially in teams.

Now I'm not pretending that adding new stages will immediately double tourney attendance, but the fact of the matter is that the community is dieing and something needs to change. But do believe in time people would travel to more tourneys, more players would come of retirement/semi-retirement and more players would join the community because the game would be more fun(yeah I'm a3ware it a subjective term) but more importantly the game would be something ore than the same old same old melee that people are losing interest in.

X1-12

Smash Champion
again you are mistake because it doesn't work like that, loads of pros dropping out leads to less interest from players, which means tourney's get cancelled and the scene pretty much completely dies. You're also wrong thinking the scene is shrinking because of the stages, its more that people aren't getting into the community in the first place. The way to improve the scene is by putting posters up in your college, by getting your friends into melee, hosting regular smashfests etc..

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Wait, wait, wait, Merkuri. Let's say Mango wasn't quitting and he was at the peak of his game. Are you saying it'd be far more worth it to lose the #1 player for a few newbs? Or losing all our top players for a new crowd? That just seems like a poor trade-off for me. Quality > Quantity. :\

And if TO's could just disregard pros not showing up, Wobbling would have been made legal by now, probably. Or there'd be enough actual data to support a ban against it or not.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
everyone will be Fox and it'll be all about whether you can hit 30 or 40 multishines

SHINE OFF CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK SHINE LANDS SHINE SPIKE 3 STOCKS TO GO

Skler

Smash Master
If Melee turned into that I'd pay to watch every single match of tournaments. CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK DOINK "GAHHHHHHH" CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK...

Shines make a Clink not a Clank.

Hitting is a Doink.

inditled

Smash Apprentice
If Melee turned into that I'd pay to watch every single match of tournaments. CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK DOINK "GAHHHHHHH" CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK...

Shines make a Clink not a Clank.

Hitting is a Doink.
also puff

FWUMP FWUMP FWUMP UTHROW DING

puffs bair goes fwump btw

soju

SD God
I suggest that daigo switches from street fighter and starts maining shiek as he rises to the top and ***** everyone with his don't give a.**** face. Lol

Merkuri

Smash Lord
again you are mistake because it doesn't work like that, loads of pros dropping out leads to less interest from players, which means tourney's get cancelled and the scene pretty much completely dies. You're also wrong thinking the scene is shrinking because of the stages, its more that people aren't getting into the community in the first place. The way to improve the scene is by putting posters up in your college, by getting your friends into melee, hosting regular smashfests etc..
I think you're overestimating how many pros would abandon the game. I also think you misunderstand my position in making more stages legal. One or two more stages being legalized in singles would be adequate, I'm not stating this as a cause an effect but the smash community was stronger last year when we had 2 more stages legal. I think a whole host of stages could be legalized inn doubles but that's an argument for another time.

In fact a lot of pros would be fine with adding a few more stages, they simply prefer the current rule set and adding more stages would not have a devastating affect on the attendance of pro player but I believe could have an immense effect on increasing the amount lesser players who travel to tourneys which would in turn increase more attendance from pros since there is more money to be made. I remember Forward saying that he doesn't travel to local tournaments anymore because there is no money to be made. We need scrubs to fix that.

And you're solution helping the community is laughable, adding posters and gathering a few friends to play smash isn't going to help ****. People already know about the game, a lack of exposure isn't the problem, it's that people aren't as interested in the game anymore and inviting 5 friends over to your house isn't going to help that.

@mastermoo420: Alex Strife legalized wobbling at Apex. So you're simply wrong.

X1-12

Smash Champion
And you're solution helping the community is laughable, adding posters and gathering a few friends to play smash isn't going to help ****. People already know about the game, a lack of exposure isn't the problem, it's that people aren't as interested in the game anymore and inviting 5 friends over to your house isn't going to help that.
lool, okay just legalise a few more stages then sit around and do **** and wait while the scene grows...

EDIT: yeah of course people KNOW about smash... it was that game they played when they were a kid.. that's not the same as playing at tourneys etc. otherwise the scene would be 10,000 times bigger. Its also worth noting that people aren't gonna just go from 'played it as a kid' to 'going to apex' on thier own. hosting smashfests in colleges with new players is one of the best ways to get people into competetive smash

SDC

Smash Lord
lool, okay just legalise a few more stages then sit around and do **** and wait while the scene grows...

EDIT: yeah of course people KNOW about smash... it was that game they played when they were a kid.. that's not the same as playing at tourneys etc. otherwise the scene would be 10,000 times bigger. Its also worth noting that people aren't gonna just go from 'played it as a kid' to 'going to apex' on thier own. hosting smashfests in colleges with new players is one of the best ways to get people into competetive smash
Well, honestly, college dorms aren't exactly brimming with talent. I can beat most of the people at my college with mewtwo......... <.<

X1-12

Smash Champion
find new people, some of them will be interested, teach them ATs, bring them to small tourneys/ smashfests etc...

Zodiac

Smash Master
I dunno what you mean when you say hbk is the best marth aside from m2k cause I've never seen any converage of him. When he gets top placings at nationals then I'll consider him the next best. But aside from that. dunno, lucky is really good so i can expect he will be placing high, same for hugs and bunch of others I could name. Armada is the best if mango stops caring, and even then. its not like mango is flat out better than armada, they're pretty even.

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
A large part of the problem is contact, for lack of a better word. There are a lot more people who play melee, but traveling to tournaments or even just going to meet other people who play melee isn't happening, either because the distances are too far or expensive, or just lack of motivation. Not sure how to fix it though.

Top Bottom