• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I use keyboard online with no c-button set (i.e. no short-hop). I would much rather use a controller, but I've been either too buzy or too lazy to search for a good adapter. One day, I'll use a controller.

Lovage

Smash Hero
keyboard SUX

i spent my first 6 months of this game playing p2p with keyboard, and i made the best i could with it but it's a WASTE OF TIME

just buy the mayflash adapter for 10 bucks and it works with your controller GG

lern2zhelm

Smash Rookie
keyboard SUX

i spent my first 6 months of this game playing p2p with keyboard, and i made the best i could with it but it's a WASTE OF TIME

just buy the mayflash adapter for 10 bucks and it works with your controller GG
My Mayflash was $20+S&H. Q_Q

PKNintendo

Smash Master
CRAP!

lvl 6 was DESIGNED to **** Ness.
Darn, I wish it stopped at 5C. XD

PS: Level's are needed for Melee/Brawl.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It has one advantage: DI.

Oh, and convenience. You don't have to search for good adapters or anything.

I use keyboard and can do everything I can on a controller (except good DJCing and tilts without buffering).

D

Deleted member

i bet you can't do an up-air while dropping from a platform

or do a perfect b-air while moving forward

NixxxoN

Smash Master
With keyboard you can move faster with arrow keys rather than with the normal joystick, so a char like falcon feels much more practical to use for me

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
With keyboard you can move faster with arrow keys rather than with the normal joystick, so a char like falcon feels much more practical to use for me
If you could move faster on the keyboard..the keyboard would be broken and the online play would make no sense.

its more practical for you because either:

1. Your more used to the keyboard
2. You are bad at using the n64 controller

asianaussie

Smash Hero
However, doing a fast-fall uair is like impossible as far as I know
I can do it. I can do D-Air without fastfalling, U-Air when falling or dropping from a platform, SH U-Air without buffering, and everything else important, except walking and tilts from a stand w/o buffering.

I can walk and F-Tilt from a stand with 8/12 characters if the ground I'm on isn't fall-through.

You have to press Up and A at the exact same time, frame perfect perhaps.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I can do it. I can do D-Air without fastfalling, U-Air when falling or dropping from a platform, SH U-Air without buffering, and everything else important, except walking and tilts from a stand w/o buffering.

I can walk and F-Tilt from a stand with 8/12 characters if the ground I'm on isn't fall-through.

You have to press Up and A at the exact same time, frame perfect perhaps.
Dang, I wasn't aware of this. That's pretty awesome and i gotta test it :D

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I can walk and F-Tilt from a stand with 8/12 characters if the ground I'm on isn't fall-through
Wow, I thought i was the only one. but you can't do a diagonal-up F-tilt with that.
I can also walk out of a run, but only in the same direction.

I guess a perfect bair while moving forward is impossible on keyboard. I do get pretty close, but it's not perfect.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Dang, I wasn't aware of this. That's pretty awesome and i gotta test it :D
It sucks. You need to practice heaps. I just do Isai's little Link victory dance on Hyrule - short hop under the ladder, hard throw bomb up to have it land on the top plat.

Wow, I thought i was the only one. but you can't do a diagonal-up F-tilt with that.
I can also walk out of a run, but only in the same direction.

I guess a perfect bair while moving forward is impossible on keyboard. I do get pretty close, but it's not perfect.
There is a way to do angled tilts and smashes from standing, and it involves a weird button input. I forget what it is exactly, and I can't really be bothered testing it.

The B-Air without moving seems impossible. Oh well.

Lovage

Smash Hero
trying to justify keyboard is ****ing stupid

u get to play online and can't falling uair/slow down air? big whoop
then whenever people ask you to play console u have to say SURE BUT I SUCK WITH CONTROLLER and u lose

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Actually, you can do both falling u-air and d-air w/o falling. It just takes practice.

In terms of pivots, I'm better on keyboard, in everything else, especially DJC and Ness's recovery, I'm better on controller. It's just about practice. I justify keyboard because I have no other option, and I'm pretty good with it anyway.

DMoogle

A$
I don't believe anyone who says they have no other option. You can't spare $10 for a cheap PC controller, $13 for an adapter for N64 controller if you already have one, or $30 for an adapter with an N64 controller?

Lovage

Smash Hero
I don't believe anyone who says they have no other option. You can't spare $10 for a cheap PC controller, $13 for an adapter for N64 controller if you already have one, or $30 for an adapter with an N64 controller?

SERIOUSSSLYYYY

you're going to waste your time learning frame perfect uairs on keyboard (u have to hit up and A on the same frame) when you could just spend ~20 bucks for the mayflash and play perfect controller forever and get better at the game

there's seriously no johns when it comes to this

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I play on console with friends, so there's my improvement. I use keyboard with no shorthop online bascially to see what people do and adapt that to my controller playstyle. Yes it sounds dumb, but I'm too lazy to get an adapter, and my current pc controller doesn't work for me.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'm in VCE (the equivalent of your SATs in America) year, and I have asian parents paranoid about credit card schemes. If I want something off eBay, I pay a friend to get it for me, and only if I REALLY want it. Since I've already more or less learned keyboard, I'm not going to bother getting a controller. Does it sound like I'm going to get an adapter anytime soon?

I play console with friends on occasion, but since I win against them so often, they make me play Melee, which I don't even own. Keep your comments, I'm a keyboard player online and proud of it.

If any people out there are still indecisive about which to pick, go for controller. The only reason people like me and Blackshadow use keyboard is because we've already learned it.

Just to link back to this thread, the learning curve for keyboard is far, far steeper. That should already be reason enough not to bother with it like I did.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
wooo, if AA is lvl 6 i am higher then i thought ^_^

and nixxxon pay no mind to lovage, remember he is one of the randoms from SoCal...they have their own rules and beliefs about smash over there

jk to many good players come from Socal!

but you should ignore lovage, watch how he plays and you will know listening to him wont make you better :)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lovage said:
you're going to waste your time learning frame perfect uairs on keyboard (u have to hit up and A on the same frame) when you could just spend ~20 bucks for the mayflash and play perfect controller forever and get better at the game
what are you talking about. I suppose you have tried a keyboard that allows more than 2 key input at the same time....
The only kb problem is the stick issue. With a joystick you have << < > >> (analog) and with kb you only have < >

D

Deleted member

you and i never played :(

i'll buy a new controller with a brand new stick and **** next time

Top Bottom