• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^lol i use to play melee as well. i was pretty good but no were near great (my worst of the 3 games) i had a solid peach but some of my tech skills were lacking and i could not stand the buffer in that game but still i was solid thanks to a friend/roommate of mine who was much better then me and helped me get better still u assume to much and when u assume it makes an *** out of u and me.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Are you a kindergarten teacher when you're not playing brawl?

And what cheeseball said about the online play thing was very true. Playing online may not be a true test of skill, but it certainly does make beginners better faster. I personally don't like this curve; it's time for a new one, one that has more levels and includes DI.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
There is no one true curve, as there are too many variables to keep track of. Maybe someone combos like a 5a person, but approaches like a 5c. How do we place him? (e.g. someone who is really good at melee plays 64... he can't combo very well because he doesn't know many combos, but approach does not change between games).

Edit, because I forgot to include the purpose of this post:

If someone wanted to make a true learning curve, there should be several different curves for individual parts of the game. As in my example, someone could be incredibly good in one aspect of the game, but awful in another. Obviously, as someone improves in one category, all the others go up as well, but not necessarily at the same pace.

Battlecow

Play to Win
There is no one true curve, as there are too many variables to keep track of. Maybe someone combos like a 5a person, but approaches like a 5c. How do we place him? (e.g. someone who is really good at melee plays 64... he can't combo very well because he doesn't know many combos, but approach does not change between games).
You speak truth, but come on. The lack of "one true curve" doesn't preclude us from coming up with a better/less outdated one than this. I can see your point about the 5a/5c thing, but in my opinion and experience, players' skill generally grows at roughly the same rate in all different categories; no one is a "perfect" fit, but your hypothetical approacher could almost certainly be slung into 5a, b, or c, or else we could just say "He's somewhere in between 5a and 5c".

EDIT: Ach. Your edit Ninj'd me.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Are you a kindergarten teacher when you're not playing brawl?

And what cheeseball said about the online play thing was very true. Playing online may not be a true test of skill, but it certainly does make beginners better faster. I personally don't like this curve; it's time for a new one, one that has more levels and includes DI.
Kindergarten teacher? is it b/c of the assume thing lol (its a good lesson)?

Anyway i just want to point out that in my 1st post here i did state i felt the lvl's people were at had to be adjusted since i felt i was to high compared to how good i want to be on the current list. this makes me wonder why anyone would question the lvl i am in and instead just state the lvls needed to be adjusted.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I'm making a guide to getting into competitive smash so I was wondering if I can use this in my guide?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I already made a guide at GAMEFAQS
On second thought I shouldn't have put it there
But if I posted it here it would be laughable

I don't think valoem is too active, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that this curve is virtually obsolete from 4 onwards, because people develop things like DI, wall combos and approach tactics at different rates, which all merit their own learning curves.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I already made a guide at GAMEFAQS
On second thought I shouldn't have put it there
But if I posted it here it would be laughable

I don't think valoem is too active, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that this curve is virtually obsolete from 4 onwards, because people develop things like DI, wall combos and approach tactics at different rates, which all merit their own learning curves.
okay, 1-4 it is then :D

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
Wow I think Im 5B, if not 5C.. I think there should be more levels between 5B and 6 lol, Im sure Im not at top level yet.

Falcon / Fox are the easiest comboers, getting 7-12 hits, but combos with samus? WUT? Yep thats me. ;)

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol people. What part of "4 and onward is completely and totally obsolete" do you not get? Do not rate yourself using this chart. No one is impressed by you saying you're a 5e or whatever.

You forgot Level 7 [Isai]
That's what "Level World Champion" is for. Note that Valoem indicates several distinct levels between this and the next highest level. Kind of hilarious, innit?

TheMagistrate

Smash Apprentice
I would say i am at a Level 5B. I love the new possibilities of Smash that ive seen. Its a like a new life has been breathed into the game.

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
The update and original thread are awesome, but why is Isai not ever once mentioned except for the subtle "Level 6: Don't get hit" he deserves much more recognition than that in my opinion of course

The Star King

Smash Hero
"World Champion" is obviously talking about him, who else can "only one person really knows what goes on here" refer to

Also this thread is lame :troll:

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
what if u main DK are u forever doomed to grab and up-b spam;)
i was jk i only grab to punish and kind of force approaches lol
Upb4lyfe
favorite combo sh bair upb->upb lol
mad shield pressure lol

The Star King

Smash Hero
No, good DKs cut the grab spam, up-b is forever amazing though. also inb4 Eikelmann touching himself to another DK main

Froski

Boss of Bosses
what if u main DK are u forever doomed to grab and up-b

In my nub days that ALL i use to do, but now i only use grabs more often in dittos due to the fact that you can chain together a couple of grabs at low percentage.

The Up B is one reason I main DK. I spam the **** out of it in friendlies for the lolz. (Not randomly.....just whenever i can be sure its gonna hit my target.)

DK4Lyfe

Olikus

Smash Champion
I remember this old thread. I finally feel like a veteran on The boards. =)

:phone:

RickySSB

Smash Ace
You all are using Isai's Dont get Hit...thats why you keep losing against him cuz it is his method...I guess.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
level 1: hey man i unlocked this awesome character called ness, hes so good
level 2: oh man i love 64, i used to play ness and he was so godlike in that game
level 3: ness is the worst character in the game why do noobs think hes good?
level 4: ness is pretty bad
level 5: ness is bad but still better than luigi
level isai: ness is good

joY

Pot splitter
Ahhh I've been looking for this thread!

The descriptions seem more or less accurate haha.

Uncle-Kenny

The Floatinator
I'm somewhere between Level 5, Part 1 and Level 5, Part 2 going by the OP's description, if it's even still relevant.

Also, I like Ness. He's a cool kid.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
"This level normally last for a day to a week or maybe even a few."

I've been stuck on level 0 for a while now, like 3 years. I don't really understand how left = right and vice versa. Somebody help me out here.

Top Bottom