• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

Johrune

Smash Cadet
It's not critique or anything, but Rookie, your Fox makes brawl fun to watch. Inspires my fox to get better, haha.

Normally I wouldn't critique, but I guess I'll try to give general advice for you. Use short hop double laser more, I feel you're a bit too aggressive, especially in that matchup. Don't be afraid to camp with short hop lasers. In my experience, I've never had to approach a Yoshi because reflector > eggs. Use dthrow instead of fthrow. I can't think of a reason why I'd fthrow when I could dthrow...Use usmash out of shield more often, it works wonders. Also, use nair and ftilt. Both are great moves that I didn't see much use of in your matches. Try not to rely on dair -> utilt cuz that doesn't work until later%s, and by that time you could be doing dair -> usmash. I may be wrong but I only use dair when I know it'll lead into a usmash, I don't really like to use dair that much. Use uair for momentum canceling. Use jab canceling. Try dair -> grab if you like dair that much.

I guess that's all. I'm kinda subpar at giving advice, not to mention my fox itself is pretty bad so take my advice with a grain of salt. If someone better than me wants to add on, or correct me, feel free.

Thanks for the advice! Most of the stuff you said, I do, but just not enough. I need to become more fluid and comfortable with the things you said.

The reason I was f-throw instead of d-throw is for two reasons. 1) My opponent spot dodges a lot, so I can lead a f-throw into a dash sh-dair, which leads to another grab and 2) I wanted my opponent to go that direction (which would probably be off the side of the stage)

What do you mean about using uair to momentum cancel?

Thanks again and any other advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm heading to Genesis in July!

-Johrune

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice! Most of the stuff you said, I do, but just not enough. I need to become more fluid and comfortable with the things you said.

The reason I was f-throw instead of d-throw is for two reasons. 1) My opponent spot dodges a lot, so I can lead a f-throw into a dash sh-dair, which leads to another grab and 2) I wanted my opponent to go that direction (which would probably be off the side of the stage)

What do you mean about using uair to momentum cancel?

Thanks again and any other advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm heading to Genesis in July!

-Johrune
Yeah, I know the feeling haha.

Hmm, well, try not to rely on number 1 too much. Spot dodge isn't as useful as a lot of people think and it's pretty easy to punish if people see it coming....I guess it's okay to beat the habit outta him, but don't expect everyone else to spot dodge as well is what i'm trying to say. I feel that dthrow is better because it does more damage, sends them forward anyway, puts them in a disadvantaged position, and depending on their di, you can follow up with something. Not gonna tell you what you can follow up with, that's for you to figure out ;3. I guess it's just different styles though. I don't like fthrow that much. I only use dthrow and bthrow (to send them off the stage).

and uh, zhamy ninja'd me on the subject of momentum canceling..so refer to his video haha. It's absolutely essential in higher levels of play though, get in the habit of doing it.

Another piece of advice: play people better than you, and play a lot of different people so you can understand different play style mentalities. Good luck at Genesis! Also, don't get too discouraged if you do worse than you think you would at a tourney. THere's always room to improve and we all started somewhere. Try to think about why you lose, recognize your habits (preferably ingame if your opponent exploits you) and iron them out, and mix it up.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I already told you on irc zhamy, but that video critique was really well done in my opinion. Looking forward to your other audio critiques!

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I'll have to toy with the settings later; I have no idea why the video got so small in the frame.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Maybe. If I'm not feeling lazy. Don't count on it now, at any rate.

Zephil

Smash Ace
great I already saw a part of it, thanks Zhamy!! the only thing is that I would watch it and studying it closely in my home that right now I am in college xD

Zephil

Smash Ace
omg Zhamy I love you!! (in a non homo way...)... this video is soooo useful for me... now I have a lot of work to do but is easier now knowing what are my flaws... the DI I know I still need practice with it and thanks ofr the momentum cancel idea, I didn´t knew u-air was more useful so I would use it instead of d-air... btw the rapid attacks were supposed to be JJC but I missed the timming of the cancel so... punish... anyways thanks Zhamy awesome critique and would help my fox A LOT... in the next weeks I will upload some videos trying to fix my mistakes... again thanks! :D

Lesleyk

Smash Apprentice

crifer

Smash Lord
hey lesje, we played a few day ago, right?
yeah ... the falco matches....you roll a little bit too much, and both of you,
yeah jumped and attacked in empty spaces, both of you didn´t hit the other that often ^^
try more using fair to attack, instead of dair, I use dair at the beginning or against fatties...
stop dash attacking that much, u got punished very often for that!!
other tha that, I liked the jab canceled grabs and you attempts to dair falco while he was at the edge...

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRz2lBxEws&feature=channel_page

heres a vid of me,i guess you can get to know me better from this or something lol, its an on the spot interview that turned into a trash talk fox ditto,so yeah enjoy its pretty funny

sorry if i missed anyone in the shoutouts, my a.d.d is pro

0:22 Fail. Get on Rookie status. Don't join the dark side.
1:19 Good shoutout. Pretty pro.

That's all the critiquing I could do. Tell your friend that he should stick to his main and leave Fox to TOJoe. I'll let Zhamy do the critiquing for both you and your friend. He might end up going there to verbally facerape your buddy on his Fox.

Zephil

Smash Ace
joe I hate you... why you use mk?? at least snake but why mk??!! nah just kidding we love you too... I just realized you didn´t called me *****!!

DarkAura

Smash Lord
lol TO Joe that video was actually pretty funny... i thought WolfBane was gonna combo you to death on your last stock

and there may be 6 MKs in our area but theres 2!?!? foxes :p pfft FLAMEDASH dude thats all we gotta do XD.... are there any other foxes in our area? and i know... im not very well known i just started competitive smash

Jenkins

Smash Lord

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
lol no, wolfblade said he beat him which was a lie, and yeah im terribly awkward lol + i have ADD johns xDDDDD

Dark: kheldar uses fox also, along with a couple randoms i dont know

Jenkins

Smash Lord
lol no, wolfblade said he beat him which was a lie, and yeah im terribly awkward lol + i have ADD johns xDDDDD

Dark: kheldar uses fox also, along with a couple randoms i dont know

hahah yeah i hear ya bro. btw, do you take ADD medicine?

if you do, do you think you play better when you're on it. Cuz i can't really tell when i'm on it :D

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
no i dont take add medicine because of the side effects + mine isnt as severe to the point where i need medication to control it.... + thats a performance enhancer LOL no fair !_!

DarkAura

Smash Lord
well it's mostly the part that two of our members are ADD and have an option of... performance enhancers XDD and that everyone "loves" eachother :laugh: :) oh and we're just too goodz (thank rookie for getting me hooked on saying that)

Jenkins

Smash Lord
well it's mostly the part that two of our members are ADD and have an option of... performance enhancers XDD and that everyone "loves" eachother :laugh: :) oh and we're just too goodz (thank rookie for getting me hooked on saying that)
lol DarkAura by the way you speak, i would never guess that you were 20.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
lol i type like im 5 i know... it's sad sometimes

my name is so incredibly gay because my brother made this account and i just stole it from him.... i wanted my name to be Sylux :(

Jenkins

Smash Lord
lol i type like im 5 i know... it's sad sometimes

my name is so incredibly gay because my brother made this account and i just stole it from him.... i wanted my name to be Sylux :(
hahaha! darkAura is a good name though!

DarkAura

Smash Lord
like street names? or general area?... i live right off sheppard in the middle of some neighborhood full of 100 year olds

Top Bottom