• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The four behaviors of smash.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
This is a great breakdown of the playstyles,
In friendlies, I'm like a ferocious tiger
But in competitive matches I'm like a calm owl or clever mongoose

DRD

Smash Lord
I know I'm clumsy with my ATs

But I don't use them a whole lot, so it doesn't really affect my playing

I'm not ferocious, I'm sort of patient

I don't know if I can call myself clever; often when watching pro matches I think things like "I would have fsmashed there", or "he should have baired". And its not hindsight bias because I think it as if I was playing

So, maybe a "clever owl"

I feel stupid now

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Clever Mongoose.......I am a Luigi main....and it fits me perfectly

in teams, Clever Tiger, I am overly offensive, but I go for odd KO's

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
we all wanna be something other than the llama but like it or not we are all llama's sometimes.

and you totally forgot about the drunken monkey!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I have used this system to determine how a smash player acts in a match, and how to approach this properly you have to understand the mindset that this creates. Other people have agreed that this is a pretty accurate system of play styles. Every smash player fits into a category or sub category of one of the four following behaviors:

Ferocious Tiger

Patient Owl

Clever Mongoose

Clumsy Llama

Now I’ll go into depth of what these styles actually mean.

Ferocious Tiger~
Someone who plays like this is often constantly throwing out an attack regardless of the distance, percentage, or actions of the opponent. They usually take advantage of every opportunity for a combo and are known to suicide due to the fact that they cannot stop themselves from chasing people off the edge. Ferocious tigers are relentless and love to wail on shields knowing that it’s only a matter of time before their 0-death combo (or attempt) will kick in. Over-anxious, these players will more than likely dominate team games, will plow though teammates to get to an opponent and will even steal kills from their opponent. Ferocious tigers love nothing more than a long, drawn-out aerial combo to death.(know FTs are foxes, falcos, marths and falcons)

Patient Owl~
A patient owl type player is often considered a camper, although this isn’t always the case. They will use their good knowledge of spacing and priority to plan out their attacks. These smashers hold true to the advice “don’t get hit” and will run away when things look unsafe or unsure. A patient owl dash dances and grabs more than any other smash behavior. If things are looking bad, they will revert to running down the clock while keeping a safe distance. (known POs are peaches, marths, and samuses)

Clever Mongoose~
To be a clever mongoose, you need to be technical or have good overall knowledge of the game itself. These players will often do unorthodox moves or risky strategies to catch their opponent off guard. Mindgames are a clever mongoose’s best friend and can make up for tech skill with them. CM’s are known to save their opponents when taking the risk to humiliate them further. (i.e. attempting a spike, instead of ensuring a kill by just edgehogging.) Tech chasing and calling DI is a big part of their game. A clever mongoose can easily get into the heads of an unprepared opponent. This is more seen in lower tier characters to even the playing field. (known CMs are mewtwos, samuses, ice climbers, luigis, and various low-tiers)

Clumsy Llama~
If you know novice space animal players, then chances are that you know what a clumsy llama is. Clumsy llamas often try to do more than they are prepared for, either physically or mentally. Trying to be more like a ferocious tiger, they do not yet have the finger speed or the muscle memory to accomplish the glorious combos they have planned in their heads. Known to suicide more than any other behavior due to unintended moves, (over+B with space animals) these players worst enemy are themselves. A clear sign of a clumsy llama is improper air dodges. (Usually off the side when attempting to wavedash or into the side of the stage when jumping off the ledge) These players are also easily scared due to their unsteady nerves. (known CLs are foxes, falcos, and falcons)
I'm a little of all four actually. :laugh:

Depends on which char i'm playing really. I Llama sometimes, but I'm more of a Tiger/ Mongoose than anything else I think...

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I didn't make the rules, it's nature. You can't argue with nature.
could the llama perhaps be interchangeable with a giraffe? There's plenty of clumsy animals!

I'd rate myself as the kung fu turtle from kung fu panda.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I'm a Clumsy/Clever Owl. I'm actually a bit of those. Although, I'm slowly losing the Clumsy Llama aspect. At this point...the only time it applies is when I screw a combo up I wanted to do, and end up doing something else, xD. Once I'm warmed up, the SD's stop, and I just start 3-stocking fools, xD.

Like I'll end up screwing up a Chaingrabbing opportunity with Sheik and attack. Then I'll just follow their DI/tech and combo the mess out of them. I did a lot of that, yesterday xD.

Oh god...I lost a match to my friend...when I SD'ed THREE times. 2 were at 0%, and first one was at 22%. Tell me why I still ended up last stock high % =/ That all ended when I got warmed up, xD.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
You guys do realize that classifying yourself as almost all 4 categories kinda defeats the purpose. :/

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well he DID say it was Rare, and I'm in that awkward transition of putting head knowledge to practical use. So when I'm done...that clumsy Llama side of me will be gone, xD. Usually people who tend to be 3 are in transition...which I am, xD.

Top Bottom