• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Not every Nintendo series should have a character in Smash. We're pretty covered when it comes to the biggest retro and one-shot IPs.
No, not every series, but there are still some that should be in, such as Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven. Just because they’re not the biggest doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to have even one single representative.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, Plant was fun, but doing the same thing in the same Smash with the same series? Come on now. This is also coming from someone who definitely believes Mario should get the most love (yes, more than Pokemon). If we only get one more first party DLC fighter, it probably shouldn't be Mario. Had Prime 4 not been delayed, I could have seen a tie in fighter for that game, but now, it got two even if one was an echo. I'd also leave Pokemon and Animal Crossing out of it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Finally learned how to apply Star Allies Meta Knight's textures, set up this group shot of two potential Kirby newcomers.
kirbyshot.png

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of mooks, let's say that you (the person reading this) are now in charge of picking the next DLC fighter. BUT these are the requirements:
- Must be a First Party character.
- Must be a regular/normal enemy. Bosses are not allowed.
- Must not belong to the Mario franchise.
Who would you pick?
I'd go with Bulborb from the Pikmin series.

Finally learned how to apply Star Allies Meta Knight's textures, set up this group shot of two potential Kirby newcomers.
View attachment 244864
As much as I like Bandanna Dee, I'd prefer having Dark Matter in Smash. There's too many good guys, I require more evil.

Also, Dedede Star Allies design looks so weird. Something about that face feels.... wrong.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
On the topic of mooks, let's say that you (the person reading this) are now in charge of picking the next DLC fighter. BUT these are the requirements:
- Must be a regular/normal enemy. Bosses and not allowed.
Who would you pick?
Then I'd go with a Stalfos from The Legend of Zelda.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Who would you pick?

As much as I like Bandanna Dee, I'd prefer having Dark Matter in Smash. There's too many good guys, I require more evil.

Also, Dedede Star Allies design looks so weird. Something about that face feels.... wrong.
Probably a BoTW guardian. It might be a little too close to being a boss to count, but it makes sense (It's almost undeniably the most iconic aspect of BoTW). It's also a big superheavy, which would make a lot of people happy.

If I can't do that, then how about a "rookie Pokemon Trainer"? It could be like Pokemon trainer, but the three Pokemon being the reigional bug, rodent, and bird.

If I can't do that either, than I'll just use a bokoblin. They could use all the different BoTW weapons.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Interestingly, most of my most wanted could be described as accessory wearing mooks.

Although none of them are truly generic.

Skull Kid is obvious, he's far more known as the main antagonist of Majora's Mask that people probably forget Skull Kid is a species.

Bandana Dee has grown above his brethren, he's turned into the 4th core member and Kirby's go to sidekick.

And of course King Boo, the arch nemesis of the Luigi. In Mario Kart he might just be crown Boo but he's so much more in Luigi's Mansion. He's a ghost with an appetite for revenge.

Arthur97

Smash Master
King Boo would be neat (so long as they go with a Luigi's Mansion design) though I'm not sure what his moveset would be. I also wouldn't really consider him a grunt. He is a final boss.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who would you pick?
think id go for bulborb too, seems like a decent pikmin character choice to me

maybe a moblin

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd pick the Silver Space Pirate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For a first party mook? I think I'd go with a Lynel, from Zelda, but the Breath of the Wild version. They are savage and badass looking, and would probably be a blast to play as. Otherwise a regular Kritter from DKC.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Who would you pick?
I have a desirable urge for Starman, EB. As difficult they are to implant, could be amazing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
King Boo would be neat (so long as they go with a Luigi's Mansion design) though I'm not sure what his moveset would be. I also wouldn't really consider him a grunt. He is a final boss.
We already got a Mario newcomer and the series has plenty of representation:4pacman:

Arthur97

Smash Master
We already got a Mario newcomer and the series has plenty of representation:4pacman:
True, but I mostly speaking as to grunts earlier. King Boo isn't a grunt.

That said, yes, if we're only getting one more first party, King Boo is far from my first pick.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Who would you pick?
The Eggplant Wizard.

This isn't even close to being a contest for me. While I do like the redesign, I also miss the old cartoon design where they made him into an actual eggplant. If you could take the new design and give him the old ones Eggplant head that would be perfect.

lLIT1Cf.png lBh6i0P.jpg

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Just saw all the leaked new Pokemon for Sword and Shield. Whoever the current artist is needs to be replaced. I actually can't tell the difference between the actual Pokemon and the ones made to parody them.

You could sprinkle in some of the actual new Pokemon here and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I can't wait to see which one we inevitably get.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Just saw all the leaked new Pokemon for Sword and Shield. Whoever the current artist is needs to be replaced. I actually can't tell the difference between the actual Pokemon and the ones made to parody them.

You could sprinkle in some of the actual new Pokemon here and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I can't wait to see which one we inevitably get.
I know that's a parody, but Traf, Bee and Beeeeee aside, I think the rest are actually pretty cool. ?!?! is my favorite.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong beat me to it with the Lynel, so I'mma go with....the Warrior Ing from Metroid Prime 2.

Runner-ups:
Darknut (Wind Waker)
Chum-Chucker Charlie (Tropical Freeze)
T. A. C. (Kirby)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

OK but these are great Pokemon so

Arthur97

Smash Master
VERY big ifs. Though, I don't think spirits should have been taken so seriously anyway. Especially for round 2.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So, if those new leaks are real and if Geno actually is in (very big IFs here) that has a very big positive connotation.

Spirits deconfirming is dead!
Two things: 1: Please put a spoiler tag.

2:
Firstly, we don't know if Geno is in or not. For all we know, they could just be adding Geno's Mii Outfit back in and just adding Mallow's to go with it. As for Spirits, I think they deconfirm. But even if Geno does get in, I believe that they're going to make it a single isolated special case. Unless Sakurai says something that proves otherwise like "Oh? Did you think Spirits couldn't become DLC Fighters?" (implying that he'd do it again), I think Geno'd be the only fighter to break through the deconfirmation barrier.

TL;DR: Geno's probably not getting in, and if he does, I think he'll be the exception, rather than the rule.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Do highly unlikely leaks even need spoilers? Either way, you seem far too certain to the point you are willing to disregard a downright contradiction to your thoughts labeling it a one time thing. Very little here is certain. Even the likelihood of all the remaining DLC being third party isn't guaranteed even if it is likely. Frankly, we have no idea what they're going to do, or how they view spirits, but limiting themselves based on that seems unwise.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wow, you have no whismsy in your soul do you?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Sword and Shield looks like a 3DS game and its embarrassing how lazy and incompetent Gamefreak is when they hold the biggest media franchise on the planet. The Pokemon designs getting worse and worse each gen is just the icing on the cake.

If not liking literally an apple or a mishmash of geometric shapes means I have no whimsy then all I can do is laugh at that. Like what a weak defense. It sounds like something I could imagine that infamous crying Star Wars fanboy saying lol

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've had gripes with the designs since the beginning of Sun & Moon. Even before designs were getting as 'out there' as some of S&S's are, I was finding it difficult to tell what were Pokemon or not at a glance. The original style, even with some 'out there' designs, had the Pokemon vibe. You could tell they were Pokemon. But now? They're almost Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of 'what is this'?

it's a crucial blow to the series. Even Digimon designs look and feel like Digimon no matter how bonkers they look. Pokemon though? Not so much these days.

Pokemon lost the whimsy when it continued to force me on a tour as opposed to letting me go on an epic adventure.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sword and Shield looks like a 3DS game and its embarrassing how lazy and incompetent Gamefreak is when they hold the biggest media franchise on the planet. The Pokemon designs getting worse and worse each gen is just the icing on the cake.

If not liking literally an apple or a mishmash of geometric shapes means I have no whimsy then all I can do is laugh at that. Like what a weak defense. It sounds like something I could imagine that infamous crying Star Wars fanboy saying lol
no the pokemon designs are about the same as theyve always been the whole idea that theyre getting worse just sounds like looking for excuses to dislike it, theyre doing the same thing theyve always done

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
no the pokemon designs are about the same as theyve always been the whole idea that theyre getting worse just sounds like looking for excuses to dislike it, theyre doing the same thing theyve always done
This is some next level denial.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
My go to example for design change is look at Kingler/Crawdaunt, then look at Crawbrawler. They look like they belong to two different franchises. Crawbrawler looks like he's from a Cartoon Network show.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

It’s James Turner who also designed Pokémon since Gen V.

Also, why are you discussing Pokémon leaks in here. This is for first party character discussion for Ultimate. Please don’t discuss the leaks or designs unless you are talking about confirmed SwoShi Pokémon (or leaked one with proper spoilers) being included in Smash Ultimate. If you wish to discuss SwoShi, please go to the Pokémon section of Smashboards in Nintenzone. I’m also pretty sure we have a Sword and Shield Newcomer discussion thread floating around here.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is some next level denial.
now its sounds like you dont have an actual response and had to resort to to pointless accusations

My go to example for design change is look at Kingler/Crawdaunt, then look at Crawbrawler. They look like they belong to two different franchises. Crawbrawler looks like he's from a Cartoon Network show.
why cause they tried something different with him?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
now its sounds like you dont have an actual response and had to resort to to pointless accusations

why cause they tried something different with him?
This'll be the last post on the topic due to being off topic but it isn't because they tried something new. They do something new design wise every game. However, the aesthetic still feels distinctly Pokemon. Crabrawler and many newer Pokemon DON'T give off the same vibe at all. Which is an issue when you're creations belong to the largest gaming franchise known to man as of right now. You want people to know what franchise your creations belong to. Once it loses that recognition, you're losing the unique identity established.

It's also just jarring to see them in game among their peers when they just stick out and don't feel like they belong there.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It’s James Turner who also designed Pokémon since Gen V.

Also, why are you discussing Pokémon leaks in here. This is for first party character discussion for Ultimate. Please don’t discuss the leaks or designs unless you are talking about confirmed SwoShi Pokémon (or leaked one with proper spoilers) being included in Smash Ultimate. If you wish to discuss SwoShi, please go to the Pokémon section of Smashboards in Nintenzone. I’m also pretty sure we have a Sword and Shield Newcomer discussion thread floating around here.
Sorry, I'll wait until one of them inevitably comes to Smash Bros.

Yeah imagine that.

fogbadge said:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This'll be the last post on the topic due to being off topic but it isn't because they tried something new. They do something new design wise every game. However, the aesthetic still feels distinctly Pokemon. Crabrawler and many newer Pokemon DON'T give off the same vibe at all. Which is an issue when you're creations belong to the largest gaming franchise known to man as of right now. You want people to know what franchise your creations belong to. Once it loses that recognition, you're losing the unique identity established.

It's also just jarring to see them in game among their peers when they just stick out and don't feel like they belong there.
but that based purely on your own perceptions, game freak cant help how you see them

Yeah imagine that.
that was an observation based on your rather callus disregard on a whole generation based on very little rather than the lack of the ability to come up with a counter point as i was not looking to make one

Top Bottom