• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falco Essentials

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I just thought I would add. Grabbing is better than D-tilt in the following ways.

Faster
bypasses shield
Pummel + D-throw is 11%. Far D-tilt hitbox is 9%.
Chainthrow
D-throw -> BDACUS/free aerial depending on DI

D-tilt is such a silly move.
D tilt used to be so reliable in Melee. What percentage can the second hit of the up air kill?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I guess. I kinda would rather kill with fresh F-throw personally if he survives to ridiculous percents. But whatever works against Metaknight I guess. I guess D-tilt is a bit safer if he tries to spotdodge against the grab, but that's all that I can think of.
Fresh Fthrow = death at 250%
Fresh Ftilt = death at 150%
What's better ?

IIRC Dtilt kills earlier than Utilt and has a better range than grab.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Controls: Press forward on analog stick (initiate dash) > Let analog stick return to neutral position > C-Stick up (initiate dash attack) > C-Stick up (cancel dash attack with up-smash)
This is not how you BDACUS. It should be changed to:
Controls: Press forward on analog stick (initiate dash) > C-Stick up (initiate dash attack) >Let analog stick return to neutral position > C-Stick up (cancel dash attack with up-smash)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Controls: Press forward on analog stick (initiate dash) > Let analog stick return to neutral position > C-Stick up (initiate dash attack) > C-Stick up (cancel dash attack with up-smash)
This is not how you BDACUS. It should be changed to:
Controls: Press forward on analog stick (initiate dash) > C-Stick up (initiate dash attack) >Let analog stick return to neutral position > C-Stick up (cancel dash attack with up-smash)
The reason it is in the guide like this, is because I pulled it from this tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcDLKBJyQzk

If you read in the video description, it says this:

YouTube Video Description said:
Brawl has a 10-frame buffer window and moves at 60 fps. This means you have 1/6th of a second before your animation finishes to input control stick to the side, let it return to neutral, then when it's returned (or while it's returning), C-Stick up twice.

Yes, you have to let the control stick return to neutral before the FIRST C-stick. The idea here is you want to input a dash attack, then an upsmash, during 1/6th of a second. If you hit control stick and c-stick at the same time, the game reads running upsmash. You have to input the first c-stick while the control stick is returning (or has already returned) to a neutral position. The second c-stick inputs the upsmash.
- [BOLD mine]

I am not an expert at the BDACUS, so my say doesn't hold much weight. You guys let me know how you want it.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Hmm that is odd. I have always pressed forward + cstick up simultaneously > release analog, cstick up. The input happens so fast that I dont think it matters whether or not the analog has to be returned to neutral for the first Cstick up, but I could be wrong.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Odd. I did it accidentally by just doing a regular dacus. :p

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I'm more than willing to bet that it can be done several ways. If you wish, I can put in multiple ways to do it in the guide. I too have done a BDACUS from actually buffering the DACUS, but I do find it easier to BDACUS the way the tutorial explains it. And it may not really matter if you do it simultaneously or let the analog stick return to neutral.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
The best guide and also a lot of hard and good work on the guide this helped me as a falco player get better at falcos play style.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
help needed on a Falco vs Peach. What do I need to abuse?

Ares

Smash Journeyman
The youtube description is wrong..I dair you is right..u dont have to let the control stick reach neutral before the first Cstick up...only before the 2nd one

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Dtilt has a lot of shield push and puts you in a decent distance for a Fsmash. (It's a frame trap, but it's unsafe, but it beats out almost every non-invincible option except a backwards roll.)

It's just a random trick.

Choice

Smash Champion
Falco Vs. Shiek what do I need to abuse?
you should abuse your keep away game and box her out. check out the thread on "the real way to get better with falco" and i think getting better at that stuff will allow you to get around sheik.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Like Choice said, try to keep away. Between ftilt (lock), utilt, jab, and grab, Sheik can do some damage, at least at low-mid prevents. I would learn how to avoid and DI ftilt locks, because Sheiks tend to get a lot of damage with them.

Of course, lasers and ftilt and dair are your friends. Escape with side b and don't stay on the ledge long.

Watch out for their DACUS. It has a crazy boost and is such a common kill move.

One day there will be a Sheik matchup discussion. You'll learn more there.

Edit: Wording.

The_SMILE

Smash Apprentice
Like Choice said, try to keep away. Between ftilt (lock), utilt, jab, and grab, Sheik can do some damage, at least at low-mid prevents. I would learn how to avoid and DI ftilt locks, because Sheiks tend to get a lot of damage with them.

Of course, lasers and ftilt and dair are your friends. Escape with side b and don't stay on the ledge long.

Watch out for their DACUS. It has a crazy boost and is such a common kill move.

One day there will be a Sheik matchup discussion. You'll learn more there.

Edit: Wording.
whats the best way to DI Sheiks f-tilt lock, to the ground away from Sheik? I didn't even know Sheik had it so good on us til I had to play Judo in a bracket match...

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
To get out of the F-tilt Lock.
Just SDi down and Shield Grab Shiek.

Works for me all the Time.
Same as Fox's 'Lock' you can SDi down and Grab him.

As well.
Falco has a Standing Buffered CG on ->
Fox(43%), Falcon(53%), Wolf(53% - Leads to an Angled up F-Tilt). I think this is useful.

Also, may you have someone finish Falco's Frame Data?

As his Uair hits on Frame 10, Yet the Uair finishes Before Bair, You can Do a Sh Uair, then Jump.
As with Bair, you can not.

This means Falco's Uair is his Momentum Cancel.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
To get out of the F-tilt Lock.
Just SDi down and Shield Grab Shiek.

Works for me all the Time.
Same as Fox's 'Lock' you can SDi down and Grab him.

As well.
Falco has a Standing Buffered CG on ->
Fox(43%), Falcon(53%), Wolf(53% - Leads to an Angled up F-Tilt). I think this is useful.

Also, may you have someone finish Falco's Frame Data?

As his Uair hits on Frame 10, Yet the Uair finishes Before Bair, You can Do a Sh Uair, then Jump.
As with Bair, you can not.

This means Falco's Uair is his Momentum Cancel.

when you are sdi down towards shiek to get the grab do you hold shield and grab or just hit grab.

also i feel that upair is also falcos fastest Aerial to finish its animation. this will allow you to regain control of your char faster than bair even tho bairs hit box is out on frame 4 it is a longer animation.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yeah, hold shield.

It should be an Auto Power Shield, then Shield Grab.
Shieks rage at me when I do it.

Yeah, Uair hits on Frame 10, Yet, it finishes MUCH faster than Bair.

I usually do Uair -> Jump towards the Stage -> Bair. To Get Rid of all Momentum.

Then I phantasm Cancel to get back.

swordsaint

Smash Master
bits and pieces of this guide are wrong, and i have a lot of disagreements with opinionative parts like the rating system.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Swordsaint/1PokeMastr:

Would you be ever so kind enough to specify faulty information or ideas for improvements you might have?
The main point of the guide is to help people with Falco, and obviously that is not what we are going to achieve if the guide is incorrect.
Saying "some things are wrong" will not help. Please be specific.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Swordsaint/1PokeMastr:

Would you be ever so kind enough to specify faulty information or ideas for improvements you might have?
The main point of the guide is to help people with Falco, and obviously that is not what we are going to achieve if the guide is incorrect.
i second this. if you feel something is incorrect help fix it.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Swordsaint/1PokeMastr:

I'll do it later, I really cbf going through it atm.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
^Well for starters I posted my thoughts on alot of Falco's moves and what I thought should be updated but that never happened. Especially how BDACUS controls are listed. Control stick forward (release control stick), C stick up x 2 is not the only way its done, I input control stick forward + C stick up, (let control stick return to neutral), C stick up.

Edit: Found my post from earlier in the topic:
I would add the kill %s next to the knockback of each move, so readers don't have to keep referring back and forth through the guide to look up that move's kill %s.
Example: Upsmash- Knockback: 6 (110-130%), Beginning: Vertical-Up, Mid-End: Horizontal

Uptilt is MUCH more useful than you guys give credit for. It is Falco's go-to kill move when his upsmash isn't doing the trick. Sure, it kills 40% later, but realize that if your bdacus isn't hitting, your best option is to camp to extend your kill options. It is also an amazing GTFO move in the MK matchup.

Laser easily deserves 5 Falcos. It is the essential bread and butter to his game.

All of Falco's grabs have their times for use, although they all lack writeups! (Except dthrow)
You can Upthrow>RAR bair if your opponent DIs up expecting a Dthrow.
Downthrow has SO many followups, some good ones are gatling combo, dair fastfall to full jab, and dair fastfall to jab cancelled grab.
Bthrow is best used quickly after the boost pivot grab, and is useful for getting your opponent offstage as well.

swordsaint

Smash Master
To begin with, remove the collapses, it makes it an effort and awkward to read. Which is partly what's making me not bothered to go back through it lol.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
In the very least, I should help with some art for this.

Top Bottom