• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
Id be surprised if theres not a GCP control system simply beacause its guarantee that every smash player has at least 1/4 GCP.

I cant understand how some ppl can think that smash can be played with motion sense system . Guess they are not pro players

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
Id be surprised if theres not a GCP control system simply beacause its guarantee that every smash player has at least 1/4 GCP.

I cant understand how some ppl can think that smash can be played with motion sense system . Guess they are not pro players
i agree. i think the connection with the wiimote and the revamped GC controller is a good idea, cause it might use the wiimote to select options in-game.

WR3K

Smash Ace
guys, simple buttons could work with the wiimote nunchuck

A=A
B=B
X+Y= c or z (your choice)
L+R= c or z (your choice)
z=c + z (or if you want, down on pad or 1) (or B+Z)

may not be the best choice for competitive play... but if you dont have a CC or GCC then its fine

OR the mechanics my be changed so you dont need as many buttons (unlikely)

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I personally hope that we may chose control-type in-game. CC, GC or Wiimote. It will simply please everyone.

EDIT: Official, specially created smash-controllers especially made for smash anyone? o.O

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
I think you'd be able to use any type of controller that you'd want to. I can see the Wii controller working without motion sensing(use D-pad, A, 1 and 2 while holding it horizontally. B for guard). And the GCN and Classic controllers are obvious how they'd work.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
You would use the nunchuck attachment if anything because it has a joystick which is better for moving than a D-pad.
I like that controller on top though.

Chaos_Tyrant

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I think...

Whatever Nintendo decides to do with the controller set up is just fine with me, but...
because i have been playing SS BM for god knows how long, and i use my left foot for the analog stick (BTW i am handicap/disabled) i think it would be better for me personally to use the GC controller

Thanks for your time =3

Chaos_Tyrant

Smash Apprentice
Lol , i have been playing Nintendo and Sony with one hand since i got an NES

And it's not as hard as you think

*note* i do have/play Wii and use the nun-chuck with my foot and have completed TP 100%, i also play my ds

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow, bravo.

And guys, do you remember right before Melee came out? Remember when everyone was like 'Oh my God, Gamecube controllers suck! I want my 64 controller!'

Jeah...it's a metaphor.

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Sadly... That control concept Frank Fly posted would actualy be my ideal choice for NGC and N64 games as the Wiimotes Bluetooth feels much more responsive to me then the Wavebirds...

Anywhoo... Based completely on speculation I'm assuming the little Icons on the Smash Dojo showing a sideways Wiimote might be a pretty far hint as to what there going to be doing to address the entry level consumers control needs...

And I have almost no doubt that both the CC & NGC controls will be supported to address the more hard core gamers needs...

I'm more thrill about the idea of using the CC then the NGC one myself... Considering it looks like you are to use the D-pad to move based on the Smash Dojo's Icon this could mean that I'd FINALLY get the chance to play smash with a D-pad for movement based on holds, taps, & double taps instead of tilts & jams... (Considering the Classic Controller wont force you to use the Analog control that is...)

For me at least this would make executing combos, sweeps, & uppercuts that would otherwise utilize tilts MUCH less taxing to perform in the heat of battle...

OH!... On the note of control... Chaos_Tyrant can you do fast fine movements using your foot like that? 0.o

If I ever lost the use of a arm I would probably buy an arcade stick & glue/graft the top part of a shoe or slipper with toe grips to use as the control... (You know like on the side of the stick so you could still sit close to the control)

I couldn't fathom pulling off wave dashing & the like with how you play... I suppose you might have the muscles for it though... Probably a fine balance between moving your foot & just using it to hold the analog stick while you move the controller with your right hand... (That would be my guess)

I have a handicap myself sadly... Perhaps not as obvious as yours but still quite crippling... I have neurological disorders that at ANY given moment can case me to forget all kinds of information... It don't matter how long or how hard I practice, all it takes is just a few seconds & BAM I'm back to being a n00b & I'm looking at the controller like I've never seen it before in my life...

Quite frustrating especially if your in the middle of a tournament...

It all eventually comes back to you... But that would have to be after you get your *** handed to you... >.<

Never the less I will always play games because it's what I love to do... It always makes me feel good to hear/read about pepole like you who find ways to deal with there shortcomings & in fact sometimes turn them into advantage's....

*Bows before Chaos_Tyrant*

Chaos_Tyrant

Smash Apprentice
Sadly... That control concept Frank Fly posted would actualy be my ideal choice for NGC and N64 games as the Wiimotes Bluetooth feels much more responsive to me then the Wavebirds...

Anywhoo... Based completely on speculation I'm assuming the little Icons on the Smash Dojo showing a sideways Wiimote might be a pretty far hint as to what there going to be doing to address the entry level consumers control needs...

And I have almost no doubt that both the CC & NGC controls will be supported to address the more hard core gamers needs...

I'm more thrill about the idea of using the CC then the NGC one myself... Considering it looks like you are to use the D-pad to move based on the Smash Dojo's Icon this could mean that I'd FINALLY get the chance to play smash with a D-pad for movement based on holds, taps, & double taps instead of tilts & jams... (Considering the Classic Controller wont force you to use the Analog control)

For me at least this will make executing combos, sweeps, & uppercuts that would otherwise utilize tilts MUCH less taxing to perform in the heat of battle...

OH!... On the note of control... Chaos_Tyrant can you do fast fine movements using your foot like that? 0.o

If I ever lost the use of a arm I would probably buy an arcade stick & glue/graft the top part of a shoe or slipper with toe grips to use as the control... (You know like on the side of the stick so you could still sit close to the control)

I couldn't fathom pulling off wave dashing & the like with how you play... I suppose you might have the muscles for it though... Probably a fine balance between moving your foot & just using it to hold the analog stick while you move the controller with your right hand... (That would be my guess)

I have a handicap myself sadly... Perhaps not as viable as yours but still quite crippling... I have neurological disorders that at ANY given moment can case me to forget all kinds of information... It don't matter how long or how hard I practice, all it takes is just a few seconds & BAM I'm back to being a n00b & I'm looking at the controller like I've never seen it before in my life...

Quite frustrating especially if your in the middle of a tournament...

It all eventually comes back to you... But that would have to be after you get your *** handed to you... >.<

Never the less I will always play games because it's what I love to do... It always makes me feel good to hear/read about pepole like you who find ways to deal with there shortcomings & in fact sometimes turn them into advantage's....

*Bows before Chaos_Tyrant*
I am pretty good as my friends say so, there always like "omfg how did you win? H4x0r"
but yeah i can pull of combos with my characters (falco and marth). I am not how you say "pro", but i prob am the best one handed players out there

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
I am pretty good as my friends say so, there always like "omfg how did you win? H4x0r"
but yeah i can pull of combos with my characters (falco and marth). I am not how you say "pro", but i prob am the best one handed players out there
FALCO!?!?!?

I could see Marth but Faco's combos a brutal for most even wean they have two hands... It took me 3 moths before I started to really shine (no pun intended) with Fox & that's only because I had spent about the same about to time getting used to the faster drop speeds & the in your face play style of Falco beforehand...

Marth is one of my best characters & combos with him come easy for me but that's only because of his reach & modest balance in speed...

Playing Falco with one hand isn't just impressive... IT'S INSANE! :psycho:

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I come off sounding too much like a n00b... I'm... Still finding it hard to talk about a fighting game in such detail... It's strange how you know how do something but can't find any way to describe it without simply sounding like a total idiot... >.<

Then again that might just be a problem unique to me...

At any rate... Good talking with ya...

Chaos_Tyrant

Smash Apprentice
Well lets see, i play decent but i don't use the L button (Can't), i can wavedash somewhat decent with Marth, and I'm still working on that with Falco

Oh and me and 10 friends had a little tournament and i won :3

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol, maybe where I live, but gaming is so mainstream in America you can find gamers anywhere.

If you look me up on the GSC, you'll see the closest person to me is outside of my country. There are quite a few smashers here but you have to look hard for them. I recently became part of an arcade's regular list [it's not an offical list but I'm not stranger to the place] and I'm one of the best smashers [not the best, but it's not out of reach] there.

I think they're planning a tournament, maybe I'll cash in on it =)

Meh...they already said that it's going to use classic or cube controller. We just have to wait and see.

I think it would be better with the classic, and Nintendo probably will choose the classic. I agree with others saying that it's not going to be fair (well, if SSBB is going to be online) to the new breed that has been attracted to the Wii, like my mom for instance. :p

kma23

Smash Apprentice
No they didn't. Link nao.
YEAH YOU STUPID NUUB NO THEY DIDN'T BECAUSE I WORK FOR NINTENDO YOU ******** LOSER!!!
Sorry i just really hate it when people just burst in saying no they didnt ; anyway I like the classic controller more cause 1. no stupid clicking noice when yo press L or R 2. much smaller and sleeker handle and really hard to break ( I'm talking like breaking your furby hard which to this have yet to kill that d@** thing yet )while the GC controller is cluky breaks easily fixed easily to (if you drop it and messes up than drop it again fixed) and i hate the look of it.

P.S I didn't mean to make fun of you i was just joking
SSBB

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
Lol, maybe where I live, but gaming is so mainstream in America you can find gamers anywhere.

If you look me up on the GSC, you'll see the closest person to me is outside of my country. There are quite a few smashers here but you have to look hard for them. I recently became part of an arcade's regular list [it's not an offical list but I'm not stranger to the place] and I'm one of the best smashers [not the best, but it's not out of reach] there.
Nice... I salute you for getting so far in your situation...

I live in a REALLY small town in America myself and we over here are all but completely cut off from the world in terms of major events... I don't believe there has ever been a single event of any kind hosted here by someone outside our town... This even includes your most normalized events like music concerts...

I understand your pain... It matters not that I live in a region full of gamers wean the only ones I'll ever know I can count on one hand... :(

I can't drive because of my neurological issues, so I'm pretty much trapped here until more development comes along...

This is why I'm hopping that online game play of any sort is indeed a reality for Brawl in the final product...

I'M BOARD!

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
YEAH YOU STUPID NUUB NO THEY DIDN'T BECAUSE I WORK FOR NINTENDO YOU ******** LOSER!!!
Sorry i just really hate it when people just burst in saying no they didnt ; anyway I like the classic controller more cause 1. no stupid clicking noice when yo press L or R 2. much smaller and sleeker handle and really hard to break ( I'm talking like breaking your furby hard which to this have yet to kill that d@** thing yet )while the GC controller is cluky breaks easily fixed easily to (if you drop it and messes up than drop it again fixed) and i hate the look of it.

P.S I didn't mean to make fun of you i was just joking
SSBB
No offense taken, but I don't even understand what you're trying to say.

I said no they didn't because, well... they didn't. Dunno why you hate that.

Sensai

Smash Master
Based completely on speculation I'm assuming the little Icons on the Smash Dojo showing a sideways Wiimote might be a pretty far hint as to what there going to be doing to address the entry level consumers control needs...
It couldn't possibly be because it's a Wii game. That would make too much sense entirely.

They never said anything about control schema, at all. Nothing has been confirmed, although most people (who pay attention and have thought things through) believe it will use at least the CC and the Wii remote/nunchuck combination. Personally, I think those are the only two it will use, while others (GAW, I believe) thinks it will utilize all of them.

And I want to say that I think it's awesome you can play Smash one handed and still win...single-handedly. Pun most certainly intended.

Chaos_Tyrant

Smash Apprentice
It couldn't possibly be because it's a Wii game. That would make too much sense entirely.

They never said anything about control schema, at all. Nothing has been confirmed, although most people (who pay attention and have thought things through) believe it will use at least the CC and the Wii remote/nunchuck combination. Personally, I think those are the only two it will use, while others (GAW, I believe) thinks it will utilize all of them.

And I want to say that I think it's awesome you can play Smash one handed and still win...single-handedly. Pun most certainly intended.
Thank you :)

well whatever controller it uses, time will only tell

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nice... I salute you for getting so far in your situation...

I live in a REALLY small town in America myself and we over here are all but completely cut off from the world in terms of major events... I don't believe there has ever been a single event of any kind hosted here by someone outside our town... This even includes your most normalized events like music concerts...

I understand your pain... It matters not that I live in a region full of gamers wean the only ones I'll ever know I can count on one hand... :(

I can't drive because of my neurological issues, so I'm pretty much trapped here until more development comes along...

This is why I'm hopping that online game play of any sort is indeed a reality for Brawl in the final product...

I'M BOARD!
I guess I was wrong, it must blow to be so to the competitive scene, yet so far. Aren't any treatments available for your neurological problem? I've never heard of anything like it before so I don't know anything about it.

Hopefully online will help us out.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

While I do believe all three will be options, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they took it your way. Or any combo of two control options, for that matter. Well, not one without CC.

Let's make it simpler, these are the control scheme options I see possible.

-Wii Remote/Nunchuck, CC, GC Controller
-Wii Remote/Nunchuck, CC
-CC/GC

Or POSSIBLY, POSSIBLY, just a CC, but I doubt that.

I see the most realistic options being the first two I listed, which is also one of the ones you listed.

Great minds think alike.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah, I believe CC will be the main controller supported, then they'll aim for the other two. As long as options are available I don't care what controllers they support since it's not going to affect me.

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
While I do believe all three will be options, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they took it your way. Or any combo of two control options, for that matter. Well, not one without CC.

Let's make it simpler, these are the control scheme options I see possible.

-Wii Remote/Nunchuck, CC, GC Controller
-Wii Remote/Nunchuck, CC
-CC/GC

Or POSSIBLY, POSSIBLY, just a CC, but I doubt that.

I see the most realistic options being the first two I listed, which is also one of the ones you listed.

Great minds think alike.
Exactly what I think. Let's keep things simple. :)

Top Bottom