• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Plomid

Smash Ace
and this shouldn't be called a debate it's not like we have anything to say in the matter!
um thats not called a debate its called speculation.
NO. That's something that someone MADE UP.

As I said earlier, this topic is going to be filled with ridiculous ideas that random teenagers just make up, no actual evidence of anything.
great minds think alike

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
Why does it abbreviate to GCN? wtf does the N stand for? Nintendo? So wouldn't it be NGC? wtf? Seriously!?

Also- the Wii's Classic Controller runs out of batteries sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast, if it was the only option, I wouldn't bother. It would cost like 90 million dollars to get good at the game, just in battery cost.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
If:

the Wii's Classic Controller runs out of batteries sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast,
Then:

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast

=

8-12 Hours.

Sensai

Smash Master
And technically the CC doesn't EVER run outta batteries, as it doesn't have any. It runs off of the Wii remote.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I have a good idea. Smash Bros Controller. Nintendo could create a completely unique contoller prototype, only for Smash Bros Brawl. They would make the setup perfect for playing a game like Brawl (I don't quite know what that means, but it means that you won't have problems reaching around the controller to hit certain buttons as with the wiimote). The controller could say "SMASH" or "BRAWL" in the style the logo depicts. This might actually be a good move on Nintendo's part, for most of us here would not let a few extra controllers discourage our smash campaign. They would probably make a good deal of money from a move like that. The downside would be someone new to the series would not be willing to buy a whole hardware set to try out one game.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
BigRick's guide to pwn sum1 using wiimote + nunchuk:

step 1: both players put Brawl into the Wii, power on
step 2: both players pick their characters, start the match
step 3: smart player swings nunchuk into dumb player's eyes
step 4: smart player wins, nintendo loses (gets sued)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
LOL

About the "new controller" idea. I don't think people will buy a new controller just for brawl, there many smashers that aren't hardcore and they don't care much about that, they just want to play the game and period. Your idea is pretty good tough, but it just wont happen >_>

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
Why does it abbreviate to GCN? wtf does the N stand for? Nintendo? So wouldn't it be NGC? wtf? Seriously!?
It's called GCN for Gamecube Nintendo, really it's not NGC because NGC stands for some old portable system called the Neo Geo Color (it's real just look it up on like Google). Nintendo didn't want to confuse people so they went with GCN. Sounds fake but is true.

Back on topic, I heard the wiimote is pretty easy to "lose your grip on". I've never tried it but one of my friend's expresses his anger at flinging his wiimote out of his hand. I wouldn't want that to happen in a match.

Plomid

Smash Ace
Plomid, on your sig 'Meta Knight for SSBR' what is R?
yep this ones an oldie.
and when you mention it i even made a bet to a few members that if metaknight wouldn't be in brawl i would owe them a free win in smash online(we still thought there would be a leader board) and thats what the"I OWE NOBODY NOTHING" is.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I don't think the game will use wii-remote+nunchuck the place of the buttons Isn't handy
This is the billionth time I've brought up this post:

Mr. GAW said:
NUNCHUCK
Anolog: Move and Jump
Z Button: Attack (A Button on GC)
C Button: Attack (B Button on GC)

WII REMOTE
D-Pad Smash Attack (Like the C-Stick on GC)
A Button: Jump
B Button (Trigger): Air Dodge/Sheild
+ (Plus) Button: Pause
- Button: Options or nothing
1 Button: Possibly enter crawling form from a crouch. Otherwise its nothing.
2 Button: Super Smash Attack. (1 Button and 2 Button controls are interchangeable)

BUTTON COMBINATIONS
B+C: Grab/Pick up Item/Catch Item/Throw Item
B+Down: Airdodge

As far as I'm concerned, this control setup would work perfectly. There would be no motion control, so that you don't have to be "waving your arms all over the place."
Wavedashing would be a fluid, almost better motion than melee. (A+B+Control Stick)
SHFFLing would be cake, quickly tap the A button for a SH, fastfall, L-Cancel with B.

If anybody sees any problems with this setup let me know, but it looks good to me.

That being said, I would still prefer to use a GC controller just because it is more familiar to me. I beleive that Nintendo will release Brawl with Wiimote Nunchuck controls, but people with GC or Classic controllers can use that too.
I'm not saying it's the best setup ever or anything, but it goes to show that 'mote and 'chuck could work fine.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Ya know what sucks? The best controller for Smash would probably be the Xbox360's controller. That thing is comfortable as hezzeck. Funny, the only game I bought Wii for is the only game on wii that would be better on the 360. Here's to a buyouy! bah...

But yeah, I'll bet there will be several control choices. But who the heck would play Smash with anything but the GC controller?

Anybody who says that Wiimote+ Nunchuck wouldn't work is ignorant.
Wow, actually anyone who says it must stink. Seriously, I don't want to waggle in Smash. If that's the only option I'll bet it sells way way less then they'd hope.

And the Classic controller is just not a good option. That thing is good for classic games and classic games alone. A better idea would release a new controller. Like the 360 controller... yeah... Ya know what sucks? The best controller for Smash would probably be the Xbox360's controller. oh wait I just... nevermind

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Wow, actually anyone who says it would work well is. Seriously, I don't want to waggle in Smash. If that's the only option I'll bet it sells way way less then they'd hope.
Jesus, read the post right above you. Why do you think you would have to use motion sensing for Brawl when it already has the neccesary buttons?

And of course it won't be the only option, I'm just saying, there is no way that Nintendo wouldn't let you use the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

And as for that Guitar Hero analygy somebody mentioned earlier, keep in mind that GH and GH2 ARE compatible with the Dualshock.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
clearly the game will use the gamecube controller.

its like

"dont throw away your gamecube controllers

EVEN THO YOU WON'T NEED THEM AT ALL"

why the hell would he say that if thats not what they were using lol you guys are a trip

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Everybody acknowledges that the GCC will probably be used. We're all saying that there will be more options than that.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
using the wiimote WITHOUT motion sensing would be ****ing stupid

"hey we've got a perfectly fine controller that every smash bros. fan has been used to for five years, and we're not going to use motion control for this game, so i think what we should do is completely make them use the completely new controller with new buttons, just for kicks. Guess those gamecube ports were just for show"

at any rate, the nunchuck style gameplay would make the game much more frustratings to play. The nunchuck is not for fighting games. hell the ****in WII is not for fighting games. HOLDING a controller with two hands, is part of the REASON that its possible to SHFFL and Wavedashing easy. Its all one cohesive unit. With the nunchuck, you have to thing in terms of two controllers making it much harder
*sigh* whatever happened to just a good regular controller, it never did anything to anybody, it was perfect. This nunchuck **** is wack.

if they do use motion sensor technology, it would ruin the game. the motion sensor has an obvious lag to it that would completely ruin any sort of strategy. not to mention who wants to be swinging around and **** for two out of three matches or whatever.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
QFT

There's no way they are going to have support for wiimote control without motion. And motion + Smash = people just living with melee for the next 5 years

Oskurito

Smash Lord
QFT

There's no way they are going to have support for wiimote control without motion. And motion + Smash = people just living with melee for the next 5 years
If brawl sucks or not or if it's w/ or w/o motion People will still play melee for the next five years

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

"hey we've got a perfectly fine controller that every smash bros. fan has been used to for five years, and we're not going to use motion control for this game, so i think what we should do is completely make them use the completely new controller with new buttons, just for kicks. Guess those gamecube ports were just for show"

at any rate, the nunchuck style gameplay would make the game much more frustratings to play. The nunchuck is not for fighting games. hell the ****in WII is not for fighting games. HOLDING a controller with two hands, is part of the REASON that its possible to SHFFL and Wavedashing easy. Its all one cohesive unit. With the nunchuck, you have to thing in terms of two controllers making it much harder
*sigh* whatever happened to just a good regular controller, it never did anything to anybody, it was perfect. This nunchuck **** is wack.

if they do use motion sensor technology, it would ruin the game. the motion sensor has an obvious lag to it that would completely ruin any sort of strategy. not to mention who wants to be swinging around and **** for two out of three matches or whatever.
Hmm.....

Using the wiimote WITHOUT motion sensing would make sense, because it has enough buttons, and motion sensing might get messy for competitive matches.
"Hey we've got a perfectly fine controller that every smash bros. fan has been used to for five years, and since this is a new system with new controllers, we should allow people who haven't used that perfect controller a chance to play without buying controllers for a system they don't have. We're not going to use motion control for this game, so I think what we should do is allow them to use the completely new controller with new buttons, since it would be stupid not to. Those gamecube ports have really worked out well, allowing us to use GC controllers for GC games, and new Wii games."

At any rate, the nunchuck style gameplay would make the game much more frustratings to play for physically challenged players. The nunchuck is not for stupid idiots who probably don't even own a Wii and criticize it. Hell, the ****in WII is built to handle all kinds of games, but some people just can't see that, nor provide reason otherwise. HOLDING a controller with two hands, is part of the REASON that its possible to SHFFL and Wavedashing easy. Its all one cohesive unit. With the nunchuck, it's not much different, and you can get used to it in a couple of days. *sigh* whatever happened to just a good regular controller, it never did anything to anybody, it was perfect. This nunchuck **** is only for non-*******. The motion sensor doesn't have lag, but there is no reason to use motion sensing when you have the neccesary buttons and it would not contribute to enjoying gameplay. That's why we won't have to tilt our wrists and twist them during our matches.
Well, I tried to fix it. Your post was just too stupid with no grammatical knowledge show in it at all.

Not only do you contradict yourself all over the place, your arguments are not directed at anyone. Nobody thinks that motion sensing should be used, and we already know that it won't be. Also, you probably WILL be able to use the GC controller.

God, stupid people piss me off.

Caael

Smash Lord
So basically there's 2 paths this game's control system could take

1. The classic, GCN way, which will keep it's old fans and generally satisfy them, as they dont have to spend more money, but with new customers, they might be less enticed to play a game that requires extra money, but then people who want a good time gaming.

2. The 'new' and 'hip' way with the wiimote and motion sensor controls. This would attract new customers, but push away the old ones, as they very well know that no ammount of controller waving can perform complex button pressing and perfect timing.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^^^Not really.
It's more likely to be either:

1. All three controllers are available with control schemes for brawl.

2. Two of the three controllers are available with control schemes for Brawl.

(GCC /CC)
(Wiimote+'Chuck/ CC)
(Wiimote + 'Chuck /GCC)

Egg Roll

Smash Rookie
I think they would do the classic controller and the Game Cube controller it about the same. All the old fashion player would be using a gc and all the new player will be using the classic.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I think they would do the classic controller and the Game Cube controller it about the same. All the old fashion player would be using a gc and all the new player will be using the classic.
...What?
Are you trying to say that you think CC and GCC will be the available options, and people with GCN's will play with a GCC, and people without them will play with a CC?

If so, I suppose it's possible, but I really see them having a control scheme for the Wiimote and nunchuck.

Sensai

Smash Master
GAW, it's nice to see that in my absence you were keeping the common sense alive in this thread.

This entire thread is speculation and putting other people's opinions down...so, here we go!

[joking (kinda)]

Everyone's dumb except GAW. Normally, I wouldn't leave my reasoning at this, but seriously...you guys are just saying the same things over and over. Thank you for your time.

[/joking]

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well I think Sakurai will try to make all 3 optional, but in order of possibility it'd go:

1) wii-mote
2) GC controller
3) CC

2 and 3 could be interchanged since GC controllers will stop being produced before CCs, but GC controllers are cheaper than CC controllers.

It's been confirmed there won't be motion sensing so the arguments about that can stop.

Egg Roll

Smash Rookie
^^^Not really.
It's more likely to be either:

1. All three controllers are available with control schemes for brawl.

2. Two of the three controllers are available with control schemes for Brawl.

(GCC /CC)
(Wiimote+'Chuck/ CC)
(Wiimote + 'Chuck /GCC)
I was thinking about all three for along time. I was thinking and thought that each controller will have it advantages and disvantages. But sit more far or closer to the tv. So the wiimote dude don't hit youhin the face or tv.:psycho:

Egg Roll

Smash Rookie
Yay, can I have a link to where that was said?
It doesnt mean it going to happen. This is what i found last year

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Brothers_Brawl

The game was conspicuously absent from Nintendo's Wii showing at its 2006 Pre-E3 press conference. The next day, on Wednesday, May 10, 2006, at the After-Hours Press Conference, Nintendo officially revealed the game under the name of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Miyamoto and Sakurai, who were there to make the announcement, hinted that the game could have full compatibility with the GameCube controller. Sakurai said that the reason was because he did not want to "alienate those familiar with the pad." In an interview with IGN, Sakurai said the Wii's motion sensing features might not be included because, "we found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game."

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said in a super secret interview that only I heard (I interviewed him) he said that he changed his mind from before and you have to tie two Wiimotes to your feet in order to play. You can only use kicking attacks now. This was so Marth would be balanced.
Or you could go with common sense and realize there's no reason to not include GCN and CC support. Wait, didn't I already post in here already? Ah well, obviously no one's reading each other's posts or this topic would have been closed by now.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
I think just having the Gamecube controller is gonna be cool enough. Nothing else needed ecspecially not the wiimote.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Wiimote for minigames.

GC for general gameplay.

CC for general gameplay.

Both compatible.

My opinion.

Egg Roll

Smash Rookie
Well if they do gc,You know there going to make it the cc too, Because all those people that never had a gc and just got the wii there most likly to have a wii cc. Even though if you get a gamecube controller you can play gamecube games and games in the shop channel. With the classic controler you can only play wii shop channel games.
I don't even know why they made the cc. The could of just modfied the gc and add +,-,home and even 1,2 if they needed too. In my opionion a cc is a waste of money you only can play game channel games that I know of. If you get a gamecube controller you can play all the games in the wii shop channel and the old gamecube that there not going to put on the wii channel. So you get two benffits from the gamecube controler. With the Classic Controler you can only do one thing that I know of.

I'm not a grammer person.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The CC is for VC [virtual console] games, which would handle extremely poorly on GC or Wiimote controls so they made the CC to fix those games perfectly. I really hope they bring out Powerstone for VC, that was a sick game, probably the only game similar to smash other than that D.O.N. game.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
You will be able to use a GCN controller to play, so we can put that in the definite category.

Now, not everyone who has a Wii has any GCN controllers, right? So it would appear that one will be able to use the Wii + Nunchuck combo, too.

Classic Controller? Still up for debate in my book. I see no reason why they wouldn't just throw that functionality in there, aside from the (possibly) awkward left control stick positioning. I'm going to tentatively say, though, that they won't have Classic Controller support.

Top Bottom