• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Caael

Smash Lord
I did search, and looked back a few pages, and I was suprised not to find any topics about how Brawl will be controlled.

Gamecube controller
My thoughts- If the Wii is meant to be for everyone, would people who have never played games before want to play a game which means you have to fork out cash for some old controllers? Also, if it used GCN controllers, would it not mean Brawl is an upgrade to melee, rather than a new game? This control method would be suited best to the hardcore smashers who have played since the beginning.

Classic Controller
Again, are new gamers going to go and want to fork out more money just to play a game?

Wiimote and Nunchuck
This is the best idea I think. The buttons are largely the same to the gamecube ones, but some Wii features, like the Wiimote for menus, and certain things during battle, like maybe flicking the remote to activate the Smash power

All of these have pro's and cons. New gamers arent going to want to pay more money for a game, but if Nintendo get this wrong, then villages will be burnt to the ground. Discuss.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Suppose they do it like other arcade fighters. At other fighter game tournaments, people will bring in their own little boxes that have a joystick and the 6 arcade buttons.

This way you have the option of using a normal controller or you can buy an old controller if you want to be on the "professional" scene..

Caael

Smash Lord
He didn't officially say so, he said ' Dont throw away your GCN controllers yet' which doesnt mean that they will definately use them. Besides, it would lose a whole load of potential smashers and lose out on quite a bit of money. So it seems to be pointing in the optional GCN direction right now.

Ianthraxx

Smash Apprentice
I could swear there's already a thread about this, because I posted in it on why the wii-mote and nunchuck just won't work. There's not enough buttons to perform all the moves comfortably, and adding in motion sensing wouldn't give the kind of minute, precise control you need to excel in a fighting game like Smash Brothers.

Using old controllers doesn't mean it's just an "update to Melee". That's crazy logic. XD

Also, Sakurai has already said that he's offering a more "traditional" gameplay experience, and I'm paraphrasing here, but he said that the most they would do with the wii-mote / nunchuck was something fun or gimmicky.

And besides, this is Nintendo. They released Four Swords Adventures and Crystal Chronicles. You know how much **** they forced you to buy to have the full experience of those, right? I don't think making people buy a GC or CC controller is beyond them, really.

Caael

Smash Lord
Correct me if wrong, but have they not stopped making GCN controllers? I haven't seen any GC products in shops for about a year. Would prover difficult. I think Nintendo might play it safe and use the Classic controller. Judging that it costs £15 in England., it's not much and they might even bundle one with the game.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
He didn't officially say so, he said ' Dont throw away your GCN controllers yet' which doesnt mean that they will definately use them. Besides, it would lose a whole load of potential smashers and lose out on quite a bit of money. So it seems to be pointing in the optional GCN direction right now.
Dude, dont throw away your GCN controller is as good as an official confirmation.

Stryks

Smash Hero
it will be controlled with the gamecube controller because Sakurai said so
THREAD OVER!
Lol u CAN use the wii controller, the special functions wont work in mid battle, but for like choosing characters and in menus, i dont c why not, u can still use the GC controller, but doesnt mean its the only one
THINK B4 POSTING!

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yeah I think there's a thread for this already, but well Sakurai said that we shouldn't throw away our GCN controls so the controls will still work there's almost nothing to discuss about the movement should be the same

smashmv

Smash Apprentice
if u can use they gamecuben controller u can also use the classic controller

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I would bet my life that you could use a CC, GCC, or Wiimote+Nunchuck, your choice.

Anybody who says that Wiimote+ Nunchuck wouldn't work is ignorant.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
I don't see any problem with them letting us use our GameCube controllers because just about everyone has one from playing SSBM. Alot of people spent a long time getting better at Melee, and I don't think they want to have to start learning a whole new control scheme all over again. And the classic controller, what's wrong with buying one? You had to of known Nintendo was going to use it for something right? Or else, why would they have bothered even making it in the first place?

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Mr. GAW is silly, going around betting his life like that! I haven't used a classic controller but I'd imagine the GCN Controller is more comfortable. I mean, the CC is like, a Pad, were as the GCN you can wrap your hands around, you know what I mean?

Personally, as long as it isn't stuck on the CC I'm fine, I'd like to try out what it would be like on the wiimote+nunChuck tho, I mean, for all we know it might even be BETTER that way,

Besides, this will add more diversity to the controller-style of the game, for melee it's just, what, Default and Claw? With the addition of CC & Wiimote+NunChuck who knows how many more interesting control styles will appear!

Let's all just hope they don't set it to solely the *CC controller!*

*note that is an example of RAS(Redundant Acronym Syndrome)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
While I know for a fact that ALL 3 systems would work well, I have 3 reasons that make me kinda doubt that they will integrate the wiimote + nunchuck setup:

1. Buisness. Brawl is a must-have game for anybody in the original, core gamer market that owns a Wii. This is no doubt that this core market the majority of the early adopters; the people willing to wait hours outside for a system. Given the HUGE success of Guitar Hero, the buisness old ideal of 'people wont buy peripherals for games' is out of the door.

So why not make everyone that buys this game also buy 1-4 classic controllers? And make the GC controllers also compatible to allow variety, and also make the consumers feel the company/developer "understands" them more. From a buisness standpoint, it would be better for them to NOT have the wiimote + nunchuck setup.

2. They understand the hardcore market isn't interested as much about the unique Wii controls. Evidence: a) Iwata unvieled Brawl AFTER the keynote speech, because he said, quote, "Because this game is for the hardcore market" and it was different from the presented games in that it didn't expressively use the wiimote controls. b) Iwata talked about Brawl to stockholders when they asked him what he was doing to appeal to the hardcore audience.

3. They don't have a whole lot of time for this game. They started development in, IIRC, not too long before the E3 in 2006 (Sakurai even stated that the majority of the development so far was spent preparing that trailer for E3). Thats IT. The wiimote + nunchuck setup would require at least some basic motion controls, which have been said before to be very hard to program for as it is quite unique. Although they have a huge team of all-star developers for Brawl, are they really willing to spend time programming something that they really don't need for the game?

I'm not saying that they WONT do the Wiimote + nunchuck setup, I'm just giving some reasons why they may choose to not do it.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I consider the wiimote an uncomfortable tool for a controller. It's great for games like Wii Sports and Excite Truck, but for Twilight Princess, it is just too awkward. You have to bend your thumb in weird ways to go from D-Up to 1 and 2 real quick. The wiimote would not have to use these though. There is an easy to reach A, and B for one hand, as well as + and -, which could be used like X and Y: to zoom in and out while paused, and to alternate jump while playing. I would definitely like a jump button to be kept in the game, because wavedashing would be more difficult without it. The other hand has a Z for shielding and dodging, and a C button for the grab. D pad would have to serve as the C-stick, and 1 and 2 could taunt.

Also, if since Wavebirds are banned at tourneys because of signal interference, wouldn't that pose a problem for tourneys if the wiimote was made the controller for brawl?

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Also, if since Wavebirds are banned at tourneys because of signal interference, wouldn't that pose a problem for tourneys if the wiimote was made the controller for brawl?
No fancy quotes for me today. I'm too lasy!
I don't think that's the case because you synchronize your controller with the system. So everyone would just have to take turns synching, or have the controllers synched before the tournament began.

Sensai

Smash Master
I've seen about a billion misspellings in the two seconds I've been on this thread. Yeesh.

I'm convinced that they'll make the CC work with it, as it is a more traditional styled game that would have nothing at all (that we know of as I write this) that would benefit from having motion sensing or/and the other 'perks' of the Wii remote. My example of this is Fire Emblem (yes, FE would've been better if it had the ability to point, but Nintendo's obviously taking note that the hardcore gamers don't enjoy swinging all the **** time).

GC controllers might work, but Nintendo probably doesn't wanna be manufacturing controllers for a system that is so old; it'd be easier if they just did CCs. Also, it'd be more profitable. They know we're going to buy this game, and they know we're going to do whatever it takes to play it. Why not charge an extra 20 bucks in there?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I like the title of this topic. "The eternal debate." That makes it sound a lot more epic than what it really is: "A bunch of teenagers making stuff up."

Expect the option to use the Gamecube controller. GC won't likely be the primarily advertised mode of play, but it will be possible to play it that way. Other Wii fighting games offer GC pad functionality, and Sakurai and co. and taking the template of Melee and porting it over, so there's no reason why we won't be able to play with our Wavebirds.

Fastinyoh

Smash Apprentice
I heard they are doing a mouse/keyboard combo for control. Click where you want to go, abilities and spells are mapped to digits 0-9. Chat is fully implemented in-game and a user interface supporting raid groups of up to 40 players will allow online guilds to take down large Smash Brothers bosses for loot that will improve your character.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I heard they are doing a mouse/keyboard combo for control. Click where you want to go, abilities and spells are mapped to digits 0-9. Chat is fully implemented in-game and a user interface supporting raid groups of up to 40 players will allow online guilds to take down large Smash Brothers bosses for loot that will improve your character.
Excuse me? Are you talking about upgrading? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:rotfl: That will never happen!

Hypothetically: Hey look at me! I am a sucky 10 yr old who can afford to play 24/7 because I have no hw, and I can pwn you because my character is level (*insert high lvl here*) and has (*insert super armor here) and (*insert godly weapon here*)!

Sorry no, that'll never do.

a-mar

Smash Cadet
agreed that the wiimote would be weird ingame

what i think they should do is

1. bundel GC controllers in SPECIAL nintendo wii's (for people like me not willing to fork over the cash till Brawl actualy drops)

2. make the wiimote handel the match set up!! try setting up matches with triger happy people, you know it just comes down with "hey shut the f*%k up i'll set it up!!
it would make things easer!!

just my 2cents

Caael

Smash Lord
I really, really hope you weren't being serious.

The business aspect of the controllers is very important. Brawl is aimed more at the hardcore gamers, not towards people who have never played before, so the hardcore smashers will be more willing to pay out more money to play the game. They know they have a lot of fans out there that will do anything to get their mitts on Brawl, and any means to play it.

Of course, Nintendo wouldn't want to lose a potential load of new smashers because they dont go the extra mile to pay for the extra's.

You never know, they could end up releasing a whole new controller. It probably wont happen, but judging by the options they have, and what people have said in this topic, it could be the easiest option.

Plomid

Smash Ace
Lol u CAN use the wii controller, the special functions wont work in mid battle, but for like choosing characters and in menus, i dont c why not, u can still use the GC controller, but doesnt mean its the only one
THINK B4 POSTING!
so you´re saying if 4 players will be playing they need 8 controllers to play?

Croco

Smash Lord
They might do a game/GC controller bundle for smash?
Seems logical..
A special edition GC controller just for smash would be cool.

It would basically come with what Caael posted..

Sensai

Smash Master
'A special edition GC controller'...

Yep, it's called the CC. But I jest....

If you don't have the CC (or worse: have seen one in person but never played with it) I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy it. Having one (and loving the VC like I do), I honestly see it as the best controller to use for the game.

And to whoever asked about 4 players meaning 8 controllers: yes, 1 Wii remote and 1 nunchuck. Given, if they have a Wii, they have one 'full' controller setup anyways.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Really? With the left analogue stick down there? I guess it worked for the PS2. And I do have a CC, but I don't have an VC games to play, so I can't test it out.

Caael

Smash Lord
Indeed they do. It's not like anybody else complained or wants it changed.

Back to the thread at hand, i've been on another forum, and many members share the same views: Remote and nunchuck, using buttons to fight, but the occasional Wiimote flick to do something.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
They might do a game/GC controller bundle for smash?
Seems logical..
NO. That's something that someone MADE UP.

As I said earlier, this topic is going to be filled with ridiculous ideas that random teenagers just make up, no actual evidence of anything.

Top Bottom