• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Elite Four Challenge: Rules and Guidelines!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
As a question is there a specific reason why in the spriters contest if you win once you get a Pokeball where you have to win 4 times in the Elite 4 to get a Pokeball?

Doesn't really make any sense...

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
only one person wins a contest like every other week or something in spriting, its harder to win that imo

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Two people won it this time...

Also, I thought you wanted this to be pretty close to the games.

If you want to do that, then I say you really should make it 1 time. Or get a ball for every 2 members you beat and have an E4/E4 Rematch thing using different teams... but that at the very, very most.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The chances of another tie in the future are still really slim.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll probably be gone until the beginning of January. Please challenge other members beforehand. ^_^

To schedule a match with me, PM me a date or day of the week, time, and server (I play Pokémon Online), and I'll idle there until I go to bed, or something.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Two people won it this time...
As Wave said, the chances of a tie in the future are extremely slim. We may also try to find a method of breaking the tie in the future.

I've heard so many people complaining that the E4 members are all going to be too easy to beat that I wouldn't have expected people to be upset about the difficulty of getting a postbit from it.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Imo it makes sense to force this into taking a long while anyway, kinda. Just consider the rarity and catching ability of a Master Ball as compared to any of the special Pokeballs. It's much rarer, and much better. So getting the Master Ball should take that much longer/be that much harder to get. Plus like Firus said, the Elite Four for this shouldn't be too hard to beat either considering the battling experience most of them have. So it's more just a game of patience than anything else. And on that note, it also means that acquiring a Master Ball shows your status as a long-standing member of the Poke Center community. So it's like a double whammy.

But that's just my take on it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think the 4:1 having to win Ratio is stupid and you're needlessly demanding the battlers to put out more work for the same result. The worst part of it all is having the schedule times on 16 different occasions in order to battle, which takes days on its own, while spriters can pop in anytime over like a two week period and don't have to worry about such a thing.

If someone can beat all four of you once, why should they have to beat all four of you four times to prove that?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think the 4:1 having to win Ratio is stupid and you're needlessly demanding the battlers to put out more work for the same result. The worst part of it all is having the schedule times on 16 different occasions in order to battle, which takes days on its own, while spriters can pop in anytime over like a two week period and don't have to worry about such a thing.

If someone can beat all four of you once, why should they have to beat all four of you four times to prove that?
It is the way it is because there is no good alternative.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Imo it makes sense to force this into taking a long while anyway, kinda. Just consider the rarity and catching ability of a Master Ball as compared to any of the special Pokeballs. It's much rarer, and much better. So getting the Master Ball should take that much longer/be that much harder to get. Plus like Firus said, the Elite Four for this shouldn't be too hard to beat either considering the battling experience most of them have. So it's more just a game of patience than anything else. And on that note, it also means that acquiring a Master Ball shows your status as a long-standing member of the Poke Center community. So it's like a double whammy.

But that's just my take on it.
Yeah, the harder it is to achieve the Master Ball, the more of a statement it makes.

We're using battling and spriting as the two different media with which to award the PC community, but they're not actually supposed to be 100% equal because they're entirely different. Hell, just think about how it works in-game: you can go into a contest on a whim and be done within 15-30 minutes, whereas getting to the E4 takes all game and getting through the entire E4 takes quite some time, not to mention potential healing and whatnot in-between.

I also think you're giving less credit to spriting than should be given. Spriters don't just have to "pop in anytime over a two week period" without worry, making a good sprite that follows a prompt isn't an easy task, nor is it just a matter of popping in. Plus, whereas each battle with the E4 is a battle between you and the other person, you can make a great sprite for a contest, only to have someone submit something of epic levels like this and completely destroy your chances of winning. I wouldn't say that the amount of work required for the two contests is equal, but to call it a 4:1 ratio just because you're only winning one contest per postbit is an understatement.

You're beating the members multiple times because winning against someone once doesn't necessarily mean you can beat them every time you fight them. You may just happen to have a team that perfectly counters theirs, or maybe a lot of crithax/parahax/etc. plays a big role in their loss.

We've gotten complaints that it's too easy and now we're getting complaints that it's too hard. We can't please everyone, so we're just going to keep it as-is unless the results start to show that our current system is indeed too hard.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm not saying it's too hard, I'm just saying that it takes waaaaay too long, not only us having to set-up 16 matches, but also forcing us to wait for a season to be over when it could take two-three weeks to beat every E4 Member if times work out all right, but it be 3 months before you can challenge them again because of this ********-*** season thing >.>

I know you want it to take a while to get a Masterball, but with how a "season" could be set up, that could be upwards of a year, which is ridiculous.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think the masterball looks ugly to be honest. Basic pokeball all the way.

The only problem I foresee is the reliability of the current E4. I know Chibio gets his matches done and prompt, and Anouku I think is the same, but I have no knowledge on Meta-K/Chill as I don't remember them entering any tournaments (correct me if I am wrong).. But that's just me.

Anyway,I would like to get my quest underway by challenging Chibio. (this is the right place for it, right?). I am free all this week and next, so shoot me some times that are good for you.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What happens if / when a season ends while someone is half-way though the E4?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Then you don't get a Pokéball at all and all your wins are completely reset.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think the most reasonable way of dealing with that situation would be that you keep the wins from whatever E4 members you have currently beat, but must use the same register team to take on the remaining members. And after you beat whoever you didn't get last time, wait for the next season so you don't have a split again.

The only thing seasons do is let you/E4 change teams, so as long as your team beats all 4 members I would see no difference whether it was split over two season if it is the same registered team.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As far as I know, the "season" restriction is to prevent you from earning a Master Ball by owning the four of us four times in a single day; not something to impose a time limit on you. If it actually becomes an issue when the seasons change then we can talk about it, I guess.

Honestly, stop complaining and just win. My team sucks so hard that I sometimes lose to people who don't even run entry hazards on their team. Due to the nature of mono-typing, you can probably even build a team consisting of an anti-lead, a sweeper, and one hard-counter of each of our types, since we even removed that "one challenge per week" restriction or whatever.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think the original reason for the change was so someone couldn't build a team centered around defeating one type just to get the postbit even if they have little to no knowledge of Pogeymans.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Come on everyone, bring it! I've only battled one person so far, I'm bored lol.

If anyone wants to ever challenge me, just hit me up on AIM, chances are I'm available. You can also pm/vm me, or use the battle request thread thing like normal. Just letting you all know I'm very available for challenges.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think no ones battling you guys because like 70% of the interested PC population is waiting for the Gen V switch.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It's more like I just got a new computer and I haven't bothered to download PO on it. I'd rather play Gen IV.

Wrath`

Smash Master
70% might be exaggerating a hair but that is a blatant lie lol
It might be just you, lets see.

Reasons:
Ulti: Not 5th gen
Myself: Worried of suffering 6-0 defeat with my strategy
Wave: IDK
Fulbie: He thinks he is awful at battling
Terry: Same as above basicly
Kirby: Doesn't think he can make a good team
Circa: Prefers gen 4, but to lazy to get PO

I miss anyone?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm not saying it's too hard, I'm just saying that it takes waaaaay too long, not only us having to set-up 16 matches, but also forcing us to wait for a season to be over when it could take two-three weeks to beat every E4 Member if times work out all right, but it be 3 months before you can challenge them again because of this ********-*** season thing >.>

I know you want it to take a while to get a Masterball, but with how a "season" could be set up, that could be upwards of a year, which is ridiculous.
We want it to be a long term reward. People were complaining a lot about the ease of getting the Pokemaster colour/icon. It's now not that hard to get the old icon, but if you want one of the newer, harder to get ones, then yeah, you're gonna need to put some longer term effort in.

As for a whole year, I don't know. I don't think we really decided when a season would end.

Anyway, we get your complaints Ulti, but you need to stop going on about em. You've said your piece, now leave it.

@Wave: I'm not sure how exactly we'd solve something like that. Might do something where we give X days/weeks warning before the new season and if you don't finish before the season ends, bad luck, or might just do something where if you book in your challenge before the season ends, it'll be fine. There's a few things that could be done.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This thread needs to stay on track about the project

No complaints about it, we've already discussed it for a while and it's as it stands
all legit concerns and questions should be posted by all means, but nothing closer to trolling nature questioning 5th gen, or bashing the project

D

Deleted member

you can probably even build a team consisting of an anti-lead, a sweeper, and one hard-counter of each of our types, since we even removed that "one challenge per week" restriction or whatever.
Since the typings and thus access to rapid spin are restricted, it's actually advantageous to spam entry hazards as much as possible. As for hard counters, Blissey should hard counter 3 of the 4 teams by herself.

I agree, you guys are complaining too much.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Admittedly, I've only attempted to play competitively with two mono-type teams, and they were both pretty broken. I mean, come on, how can you not win with mono-Steel and mono-Dragon (pre-Salamence ban)?

Top Bottom