• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Elite Four Challenge: Rules and Guidelines!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
People actually use Scarf Dugtrio? I thought that was just thrown around as a joke, didn't know people use it.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
It is a joke.

It's really only on there because an all-steel team is a joke too.

And trapping other ScarfTran is fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
1. Heatran comes in on your ScarfTran. Now you risk losing your ScarfTran to Earth Power, or getting Dugtrio OHKO'd by even an FF'd Flamethrower, or hell, the Heatran using Substitute. And if instead you start by putting in Scarf Dugtrio and get a kill, Bronzong comes in on revenge turn and does any number of things to set up. There's always the option of double switching, I suppose, but you better be really certain.

2. Kingdra exists.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can you change your team after you post it to F8AL
or only one team - one shot
You can't change your team once it's been approved.
To clarify, you can change your team, but it means that any progress you've done will be lost (IE, if you've beat 2 E4 and then want to change your team, you can, but you'll have to battle the two you already beat again.)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
1. Heatran comes in on your ScarfTran. Now you risk losing your ScarfTran to Earth Power, or getting Dugtrio OHKO'd by even an FF'd Flamethrower, or hell, the Heatran using Substitute. And if instead you start by putting in Scarf Dugtrio and get a kill, Bronzong comes in on revenge turn and does any number of things to set up. There's always the option of double switching, I suppose, but you better be really certain.
Anyone with eyes who isn't a complete moron knows Dugtrio is exclusively a revenge killer. So this scenario isn't even going to happen in the first place. Instead you switch in something that is mostly useless (which is actually pretty easy to determine with this being mono-type and all), sac it, and bring in Dugtrio afterward. Now you still have a ScarfTran and Dugtrio's got the opposing Heatran down for the count. The only way this scenario doesn't possibly work is if Heatran's running Shuca, in which case it's still pretty much out of commission and ScarfTran still gets the opportunity to run through the team.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Can you change your team after you post it to F8AL
or only one team - one shot
I challenge Chibo...?

What time would be good for you dude?

EDIT: I just really want that Pokeball... **** the masterball
If you have AIM, just IM me whenever I'm on and I can usually play instantly. If not just leave a VM on my profile. I play on Smogon Server with the name ChiboSempai btw.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Anyone with eyes who isn't a complete moron knows Dugtrio is exclusively a revenge killer.
I can't see Dugtrio being a bad idea switching into a Choice Specs Jolteon, but sure, I'll accept being called a complete moron.

All I do is press the buttons that claim to be super effective, anyway.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I can't see Dugtrio being a bad idea switching into a Choice Specs Jolteon, but sure, I'll accept being called a complete moron.

You be surprised how far that got me.

D

Deleted member

Remember when I was teaching you, I told you that a lot of people make sub-par decisions? At any time you see these behaviors, you should encourage them, or even extend your strategy to encourage the opponent to play worse. It is this poor decision-making that separates the better players from the worse ones, and any time you can make your opponent play worse is strictly advantageous for you. Some examples:

1. Using the chat function for the online simulators, encourage poor play. Intentionally act like you don't know what you're doing, and audibly tell them so. Ask your opponent things like "does rock hit bug for extra? I forget." This is advantageous because it usually only takes one blatant err for the opponent to dumb you down in his mind, which can be done early into the match where leads are unpredictable anyway. If you're using the chat correctly, sometimes you don't even have to make a poor move choice. When using chat, type in your verbal bait and intentionally let it sit there for a couple minutes so they are less likely to miss it.

2. Encourage poor decisions in the battle itself by doing one. When they make stupid decisions later, they can justify it to themselves, because no matter what they did that was stupid, it's not as stupid as what you did, right? The best way to do this is to make any given decision feel "fun" in nature. A great example of this is the move Outrage. It's extremely easy to say something like "all I do is outrage and I win" and the best part is that most competitive players will actually agree with you. Anyone who understands pokemon knows that outrage is just a strong attack that feigns a choice lock and removes your ability to switch without a 50% stat increase. Normally not the best deal around. However, unnecessary or risky use of Outrage is an excellent way to lose and should be encouraged as much as possible. This is the only time a strictly non-advantageous decision can be made with a positive outcome, and can also be confused with "prediction" and again is usually adopted by the opponent after only one misplay. Due to the nature of the game being heavily asymmetrical with information, you can often take advantage of your opponents when you yourself have no technical advantage whatsoever. The bold part of the quote above is brilliant.

When you beat an opponent that you should have lost to, never tell them. Instead, thank them to yourself for being bad. It is the bad players that allow the relative goodness of their peers, and you would not be a good player were they not worse than you.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You both have to PM logs and teams to F8AL, who will confirm the win as well as make sure everyone's following the rules in terms of teams, etc.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You both have to PM logs and teams to F8AL, who will confirm the win as well as make sure everyone's following the rules in terms of teams, etc.
Wait so if you post the team in teh registration sub forum it doesn't count?

Then why the hell do we still have that for?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
more like 2-1, u werent my first challenger. i 5-0d riddle before you :p

hit me up on aim to challenge. il be available rly late tonight

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
more like 2-1, u werent my first challenger. i 5-0d riddle before you :p

hit me up on aim to challenge. il be available rly late tonight
Chibo did you really just do that? I was saying your record is really 1-1 since you defeated me one time, and a victory against me isn't really much at all. Hence if you won two times, and one of them was against me, two minus one equals one. Therefore, 1-1.

Nowhere did I say that I was the first person to challenge you.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The humor would've been easier to detect if you had said "because one of those wins was against me."

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm lazy so I'm just gonna confirm that Riddle won. On the bright side, pink is an excellent color.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I made a series of poor decisions and Riddle made a series of good ones in a matchup of relatively even teams. I am to understand that roughly the same thing led to the same sort of results in your game against him. As far as I know, he used the same team.

You should see the other match I had against him, though. Best one ever.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I beat Chibo in a match and I'm now sending the log to F8AL

And eh, I hear Chill sucks the most next so I guess I'll go challenge him when are you open?

And Ulti, I still love you for helping me make that hax team <3

Top Bottom