• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Donkey went down

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Mr. G&W and the Ice Climbers are also very good answers to the DDD problem, though their matchups with other characters vary. G&W is as good as Falco but I don't think quite as many people use him.
Yea GnW is not as popular as he used to be. I used to use him way back when but hes just really boring, its the same ol same ol. Im sure ill find a secondary soon enough.

ook

Smash Lord
I use ZSS as a secondary. She's got a good matchup with DDD, almost nobody plays her, and she's got a lot of tricks/combos so it's not the same ol same ol. She even moved 5 spots up the tier list now

I dunno, check it out

but, I still think that list is BS and DK is way too good for C tier, so :p ya don't have to listen to me

Luigi player

Smash Master
but, I still think that list is BS and DK is way too good for C tier, so :p ya don't have to listen to me
Listen to him, ook knows what he's talking about :p

I main Diddy and use DK as a secondary...

Maybe Diddy would be good as a secondary for DK since he's good against D3... and that's DKs main problem.
Although you might still need another one for Falco if he gives you trouble...

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is indeed a good secondary, handles DDD no problem and goes well against Olimar
I usually pick Zelda vs DDD just cuz she's my other main, tho I might start working on Kirby more, I'm starting to like him better and better

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Ook i might try her, ive been told for the last 3-4 month to try her out but i just never got around to doing so. Maybe ill give her a try this week.

Kirby and Diddy both got boring after a while as well.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Mith has a D3 icon D= you traitor :mad:

I use Marth, Snake and Ness as seconds, Marth may be at a slight disadvantage to D3 but he's not completely hopeless against him, and Ness is just awesome, when in doubt main Ness :bigthumbu In all seriousness, Marth isn't a horrible second for DK and he's not that boring to use (at least in my opinion :p)

P.S. Mith I was kidding :psycho:

Mith_

Smash Champion
Mith has a D3 icon D= you traitor :mad:

I use Marth, Snake and Ness as seconds, Marth may be at a slight disadvantage to D3 but he's not completely hopeless against him, and Ness is just awesome, when in doubt main Ness :bigthumbu In all seriousness, Marth isn't a horrible second for DK and he's not that boring to use (at least in my opinion :p)

P.S. Mith I was kidding :psycho:
i am a traitor. (not really, i just change my icon when i get bored and im kinda bored of brawl altogether.)

marth is the most boring character imo lols.

doesn't oli own d3 as well?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Oli's dont own me. Its usually always a close match. Either i win or he wins.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i use Pika for DDD, Ice and sometimes Snake.
and either lu/kirby for diddy/falco depending on stage and whoever i'm 'feeling'

Normally i fight Lucario w/ DK, but seeing as how i play like the best lucario player i've recently had better success w/ Pika.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I also do Ganon but.....I don't he does any better than DK against most characters. I hear the IC's are good....but I can't get CG's down for crap/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yoshi for DDD and that's it

dk for everyone else

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i dont really know what to think of Dk vs Wario.

DK has ALL the tools to beat wario.
maybe someone already posted this, but i just figured out DK can Grab-Release Wario into a 9-wind. (KOs at like 60-75% w/ DI)
but if wario gets a grab he can d.throw for like..ever.
can someone explain the exacts on this? Can DK get out earlier anyway? Seems like D>smash helps dodge, or does wario need to be frame perfect?

Ripple: u dont think you're pushing your luck w/ DK? Falco seriously ***** DK on most levels. Obviously you're aware, but d.throw combos and runaway laser and phantasm is pretty **** easy to rack DK up to 150+%. Granted yea, BF and a couple other stages is a fairer fight...but still!
Not to mention several other characters who have an advantage, but assuming you're the 'better' player you should still win, i suppose. I just wish brawl wasn't so character-counter- it requires you learn lots of dudes (unless you're top tier), but luckily its not very hard to pick up random characters.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
DK/Falco/G&W/Ice Climbers

My character choices had nothing to do with DK's matchups, so it's kinda interesting how well I cover his bad matchups and stages.

Mith_

Smash Champion
DK/Falco/G&W/Ice Climbers

My character choices had nothing to do with DK's matchups, so it's kinda interesting how well I cover his bad matchups and stages.
Bleh I can only play Ice Climbers in brawl+ ha ha.
I wish I could play them in regular brawl .

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
i dont really know what to think of Dk vs Wario.

DK has ALL the tools to beat wario.
maybe someone already posted this, but i just figured out DK can Grab-Release Wario into a 9-wind. (KOs at like 60-75% w/ DI)
but if wario gets a grab he can d.throw for like..ever.
can someone explain the exacts on this? Can DK get out earlier anyway? Seems like D>smash helps dodge, or does wario need to be frame perfect?

Ripple: u dont think you're pushing your luck w/ DK? Falco seriously ***** DK on most levels. Obviously you're aware, but d.throw combos and runaway laser and phantasm is pretty **** easy to rack DK up to 150+%. Granted yea, BF and a couple other stages is a fairer fight...but still!
Not to mention several other characters who have an advantage, but assuming you're the 'better' player you should still win, i suppose. I just wish brawl wasn't so character-counter- it requires you learn lots of dudes (unless you're top tier), but luckily its not very hard to pick up random characters.
Wario has a chain grab on DK. Up to 100 percent or so.

Falco is not that bad, i used to think its impossible. But once you get around the chaingrab then its not that bad. Still difficult but not impossible.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chain grabs are messing with brawl play style too much. Be aware of them but don't be expecting your skilled opponents to rely on it.

PS: @theultimodragon: Toto FTW

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
IMO, Infinite grabs should be banned. But then again, people will never allow this to be banned because they there characters are going to be "not as good".

cutter

Smash Champion
IMO, Infinite grabs should be banned. But then again, people will never allow this to be banned because they there characters are going to be "not as good".
Duh... the Ice Climbers lose their leverage over all other characters without their infinites.

Personally I find ICs infinites fun as hell to do.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone keep asking if I Dk the whole tournament through. I've always played DK through....I've placed high at big tournaments with DK. Friendlies and vs my crew I might change it up a bit but that is all. I've done my part to move DK up.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Duh... the Ice Climbers lose their leverage over all other characters without their infinites.

Personally I find ICs infinites fun as hell to do.
Im not talking about the IC's chain grabs. Thats legit imo, you need to actually practice to get down the timing for each character. Im talking about DDD's infinite against several characters and DK's infinite against the mother kids.

Why does everyone keep asking if I Dk the whole tournament through. I've always played DK through....I've placed high at big tournaments with DK. Friendlies and vs my crew I might change it up a bit but that is all. I've done my part to move DK up.
I was just asking because ive been told and ive overheard other people say that you usually go falco during most of the tourneys.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
wario can bite all of dk's grounded moves, you have to play with aerials and specials, and even then, punch is only safe out of grab release, and headbutt will see no use

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
THINK IN POSITIVE WAYS MY PRIMATE FRIENDS! This is an overall loss, but the night is darkest before dawn. We move down now yes. BUT will there be a surge of new DK players to make the matchup a more commonly played one? No. Will there be opportunities in the future to move up? Yes. For now no one will be expecting some serious DK ****. Look where Diddy was before this, OLIMAR TOO! They were both "ho hum" characters for a moment then WHAM! moving up fast like lightning. DK is the new "ho hum" characters. LETS MOVE THIS SIMIAN UP!

.CMW.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I really don't care if DK moves up. I use him well and can win with him regardless. The further down he is, the better I will feel for being able to win with him.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I really don't care if DK moves up. I use him well and can win with him regardless. The further down he is, the better I will feel for being able to win with him.
Truth, at this point I'm not expecting any new ATs for any characters to be discovered anymore so having a large player base doesn't matter.

The fewer DK players the better, that way you will win more matches just because no one knows what to do or how to space against you.

Master Raven

Smash Master
In relation to the other characters above him, I think DK is perfectly fine where he is right now. He'll probably rise just a bit once more and more people rep him (I may plan on going all DK in certain tournies since he's my second-best after MK).

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Lol i've heard people saying that this list was made on how characters to VS meta-Knight XD, i know it's a joke though. DK is very awesome VS M-K if played correctly amirite?

Top Bottom