• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

daisho

Smash Lord
Bowser.

As a DK main the advantage that we have in every matchup is that we kill earlier and live longer than almost every character in the game. Bowser does not fit this description. Almost all of bowser's attacks kill at reasonable percents and his kill potential is equal if not greater than ours. In addition he is very heavy and has decent recovery. Fortunately we have a few things that bowser's will not know how to counter.

Bowser has many tricks up his sleeve. Things a DK should be wary about at all times are his side b and his neutral b. A common misconception is bowser's only use for side b is for bowserciding. More often than not though, Bowser will use it to rack up damage and put you in a bad position. Remember that whoever is at a lower percent will be able to control where to land the side b. Bowser's neutral b can do massive damage if we do not react quickly and correctly. While if we DI towards Bowser we can punish him with side b but you risk taking 30 damage or more. Often the correct move is to DI away and take as minimal damage as possible. Bowser's up B out of shield is really one of the greatest ooS options any character in the game has. It will kill at medium percents, does about 15 damage and gets invincibility until the hitbox comes out. Try to avoid hitting his shield and being right next to him afterward. Bowser's F smash is quite a slow move, but often bowser's are able to use mindgames and land it on you. Sometimes when you are on the ledge the will start charging it. Use up b ledgestall to regain invincibility and wait him out, then punish. Another thing to watch out for is his fair. It has a hitbox all over his body (and hes huge so...) and if you mess up your spacing he can easily hit you with it.

Other than that he is a pretty straightforward character. He has multiple kill moves such as D tilt U air Down B down smash up smash f smash side b u tilt fair bair and f tilt. Fortunately for us he does not have any guaranteed grab releases so against us his grab game is nothing special.

Things we can take advantage of are our multiple spacing moves and damage rackers as well as our combo moves. At low percents U tilt strings well. Since he is so big it is quite easy to hit him with any smash moves especially f smash. In addition if you land a grounded up b there is a good chance it will go for over 30 damage. Use tilts and b airs as often as possible to outrange Bowser and keep him away. Bowser is a character that we can gimp pretty easily but in situations where he might want a bowsercide watch out for his side b. As usual, abuse your SA punch and you will have no problem killing him.

If anything has anything to correct or add that would be great.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I think Diddy should be next.

@ Ripple. Im pretty sure Thrilla wrote a post about Kirby a few pages back and Bigfoot edited it a little. So that takes care of Kirby. Someone just has to write about the other characters.
This

I really want to see how that MU would play out. My main against my Seconary.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
@ Daisho - That looks like a good write up. Also one thing you might want to add to the tips for DK. We can DI up and toward bowser from the fire and side b him.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
thats pretty much all i think, imo not much to the bowser match. i got 2 vids of me against sasukebowser in the video thread, if anyone is even interested.

oh and if you ever see yourself about to get hit by his fsmash you could also upb into it for the invincible frames. Be prepared to take 40% tho lol. i much rather not do that but its always an option if you cant get out of it any other way. also make sure to use grounded upb on him to rack up the 36% when hes at 0%, grounded upb is good on him at almost any %, just dont be predictable.

we should do diddy, more than likely cbk going to come in here and say how its a 50-50 matchup lol, like he has done in the past.

oh and why does it still say 50-50 on luigi lol.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
Luigi vs DK is a DK advantage if you space well.
its not like your going to space perfectly all the time. he gets inside, he *****, and thats all she wrote. you have to look at all aspects of the match, not just if one side plays well, mistakes are always made.

@sasukebowser

you dont use him anymore, you did main him, i asked you myself on aib and thats all you used when we played. it was a while ago so yeah.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Maybe I said I mained him in Melee, but I've never used anyone outside of TL in Brawl really.

But I don't use him on wifi anyway, sooo...

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
its not like your going to space perfectly all the time. he gets inside, he *****, and thats all she wrote. you have to look at all aspects of the match, not just if one side plays well, mistakes are always made.

@sasukebowser

you dont use him anymore, you did main him, i asked you myself on aib and thats all you used when we played. it was a while ago so yeah.
You don't have to space perfectly, you just have to space well. Luigi is extremely easy to space. DK also isn't helpless inside, he can shieldgrab and also retreat even offstage since Luigi's edgeguarding is atrociously bad. Luigi is also a breeze to gimp.

As for Diddy, Diddy is a matchup I really need help on. What a pain in the ***.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
u can space luigi, thats all there really is to it. space, and he slides to far to do anything out of his shield. most the time he tries he'll get punished. his fireballs, if used intelligently, are good tools to force DK to approach, which is where luigi is going to find opportunities to sneak in a n.air or throw settups. and it would be evenish, except for the fact DK can edgeguard him pretty wel, while he has nothing on u.

u can't space at all vs diddy, doesn't work. nanas udderly ****. I've worked a good banana game vs diddy, but he still gets 1st dibz on them, and its enough to put the favor in his by a good margin. (assuming the diddy and DK are both pro level)

daisho

Smash Lord
So... what do we do against diddy... I basically plank till his bananas die and then attack until he gets new ones out... I still lose though...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if you play play near the edges well then diddy should not give you that many problems. you basically air camp him until you find an opening when you land

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
well stage wise ban FD and take him to BF or anywhere that has platforms. this is a very hard matchup against a good diddy that knows how to use his nannas. down b is good to keep that nanner game a little more controlled but he can still get around it. just try to get a hold of one banana and throw it off stage so you make it less likely to get nanalocked.

Stannum

Smash Journeyman
when you pick up a banana, what is the best way to approach with a glide toss? I dont have much diddy experience at all >.< so I'd be tempted to say dmash or punch but i dont know if those are guarenteed or anything after hitting with the nanner.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
don't approach with a glide toss. its not that good.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I have to agree with Ripple. Its not that good.

At least not against Diddy. :(

Plus since Diddys so fast your going to want to save your down smash for the kill.

Just try to gimp whenever possible and ledge stall when hes coming back to the stage. Other than that. Its a really hard matchup.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I wouldn't consider it "advanced". It's just a technique. That was sexy though Ripple :).

I was going to use that in my new combo video but then I got something even better and sexier.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
when are you uploading your CV rip?
not for quite a while actually. maybe around christmas? I plan on making a very good one, and to do that I need to travel around and get some games recorded with Anther, Lain, Judge, AZ, Ally, all those good guys to make this as legit as possible

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Thanks I'll keep in mind not to fall for that @_@.

I'd recommend that DKs don't glide-toss bananas back towards us often; long glide-tosses are predictable and punishable. Throwing one off-stage just means that Diddy can spawn another one. Try to U-throw/D-throw them more and keep them alive but in your possession whenever you get a banana, so you can pressure Diddy who only has one into bad situations (like ripple's video, lol).

I'll post more about random stuff in the match-up later. What's frustrating as a Diddy main is that I can outspace and combo DKs for good chunks of time and take them to 150-160% and they still survive, and then they hit me four times and I die.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
the weight issue is definitely what keeps the matchup from going completely in diddy's favor.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Another advantage you have is stages. Ban FD and his only CP on you is SV. If you play SV first and lose, he's out of stages.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Another advantage you have is stages. Ban FD and his only CP on you is SV. If you play SV first and lose, he's out of stages.
Smashville
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1
Arguably Lylat (it's not a bad stage for him but I don't know how well DK does here)
really, most other stages aren't bad by any means (like Delfino, yoshi's brawl, halberd) just not ideal counterpicks.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Smashville
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1
Arguably Lylat (it's not a bad stage for him but I don't know how well DK does here)
really, most other stages aren't bad by any means (like Delfino, yoshi's brawl, halberd) just not ideal counterpicks.
Castle Siege, forgot about that little ****er. DK wins on the first part at least :(

PS1, no. DK has a lot of **** going on there. He lives forever, he has wall infinites(DK is particularly dangerous with walls because he can grab you and throw you into the wall, so you don't have to be right there for him to infinite you.), he also has that windmill portion where he can downB you for like 30-40% damage regardless of your %. Oh, and the edges don't bother him.

Lylat, no. DK doesn't particularly like Lylat but he likes platforms and can juggernaut spin using the edges.

Delfino? Yoshi's? Halberd? Are you serious? I won't even dignify that with a response. Halberd, maybe, but other than that you're joking right?

Top Bottom