• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ps1 dk wins for reasons darknid did not state. in fact that wall infinite and downb stuff doesn't really matter since every character can do something similar. the stage has huge blastzones so DK lives even longer, that's the real advantage of it

and lylat is one of dks best near neutrals, I like it a lot more than yoshis and fd

ook

Smash Lord
ps1 dk wins for reasons darknid did not state. in fact that wall infinite and downb stuff doesn't really matter since every character can do something similar. the stage has huge blastzones so DK lives even longer, that's the real advantage of it
everybody always says this... are we playing the same PS1?

It always seems to me that stage is smaller than the average stage like FD or even SV.

What happens a lot, is that I get edgeguarded, and it looks like I'll be able to survive, but all the sudden I just die off the side. :ohwell:

Is it actually big???

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
everybody always says this... are we playing the same PS1?

It always seems to me that stage is smaller than the average stage like FD or even SV.

What happens a lot, is that I get edgeguarded, and it looks like I'll be able to survive, but all the sudden I just die off the side. :ohwell:

Is it actually big???
lol IMO it depends on what rotations you get. Like the fire and earth one usually ends with someone waiting on the left side and the other on the right. The the water one is probably the better of the four, the left side(windmill) is good for downB, utilt, etc. And the right if you don't go on the platforms utilts and uairs. I never get the grass one when I play DK, but if you chill in the middle by the platforms you can do good. But I hate the edges on ps1, to me if you want long blastzones go Halbred, but Diddy would probably own there.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
^ that didn't answer the question

so long as you stay in the center of the stage it's bigger, not sure about distance from ledge

its better than fd though, good DI in fd will kill you sooner than iffy DI

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
It does seem like you die too soon sometimes.

Bigfoot: Yoshi's>everything including Lylat>FD

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't know what stage would be good against Diddy... maybe Brinstar... but Diddy's too ****ing fast for DK >.>

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I think brinstar sucks for DK.

edit: well maybe not sucks but it's really overrated.

daisho

Smash Lord
I don't know what stage would be good against Diddy... maybe Brinstar... but Diddy's too ****ing fast for DK >.>
If I won on YI i always take diddys to brinstar. The bananas aren't so useful there.

I think brinstar sucks for DK.

edit: well maybe not sucks but it's really overrated.
Its great for confusing. If they are on the ledge on the left and their invincibilty runs out if you f smash you will probably hit because it will last longer because of the hitbox extender. But maybe pros don't fall for that stuff... without great DI you can die really early there.

Even so... its always a risk taking someone there because if they play MK your screwed.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
DK's faster than Diddy overall. Diddy's air speed is atrocious, DK's is A tier and their dashes aren't very far apart, and on brinstar and japes that's noticeable.

Anyways, while Brinstar is good, I think you're better off with Japes or Mansion just because he'll never kill you.

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK's faster than Diddy overall. Diddy's air speed is atrocious, DK's is A tier and their dashes aren't very far apart, and on brinstar and japes that's noticeable.
Diddy runs faster and his aerials are much faster than DKs. That's why I'm not so sure if Brinstar is a good stage... because Diddy could just be in DKs face all the time throwing too fast attacks at him.

DK can't do much against banana and peanut spam. Diddys dash attack is so ****ing annoying for DK. If DK is in the air he's screwed unless he uses retreating bairs. But bananas could hit him and he'll be facing the direction the banana came from and thus he is an easy target. He's so big and get's combo'd so ****ing much from Diddy. Not even side B works, because the Diddy won't stay below you. He'll just throw so much bananas at you that not even DK can eat them all. DKs like landing with an airdodge or a bair. But if DK is facing Diddy he can't do anything and Diddy will just dash attack his landing (or he'll throw a banana to trip him).

Once I got from 0-100 % from a Diddy which wasn't even that good. Although from there it's DKs game since then he can't be combo'd that much and he'll live really long. I still won that match, but it's really really hard and most of the time the Diddy ist just too fast for DK. His grab totally catches DK off guard... well at least it felt like that for me. So many bananas so you have to shield or jump away, if you shield you can't really expect to grab him or jump away, because the jump is too slow and then he dash attacks or grabs you. Maybe you can escape if you jump and immediately airdodge, but Diddy's so fast he'll probably just hit you with an aerial after your airdodge ended.
And you'll need your shield really often so it'll most likely be really small most of the time so you have to get away for a little break. Platforms help there, but platforms also suck in some situations, because against Diddy you should be in the air a lot and the platforms limit your actions etc.

Down B also doesn't work, because of the bananas (although if both bananas lay on the ground right in front of you you can do it, but not if Diddy has one in his hand; he could still just side B kick/grab you though...).

I think dtilt is nice in this matchup and you have to grab Diddy often (if he doesn't grab you first that is). And yeah stay in the air with bairs...

I think it's 60:40 for Diddy. It would be worse, but DK can kill him really early and Diddy has KO problems so DK should live really long in this match.

I'm not sure if you should avoid FD because if gives you room for your air actions. Although I don't like FD with DK...

Yoshis Island could probably be good against Diddy because of the upB invincibility... but I think Diddy can punish this easily if they know about the invincibility. Then again, all characters could do this if they just walk away and wait till it ends and punish you. :/

I think JJs, Lylat Cruise, Rainbow Cruise and Delfino could be nice for DK.

In JJs DK should live from 180-250 % each stock. Maybe even higher if you don't get hit by his strong attacks or if they are stale. And the low side "platforms" are really nice for the upB SA trick which should help DK a lot.

Lylat Cruise can be nice if it's angled in a way that Diddys Bananas will be "blocked" because they fall on the ground. Diddy could also mess up his recovery on the edges.

Rainbow Cruise should speak for itself. Diddy doesn't has it easy there, because he has to stay in the air most of the time. And his airspeed sucks. Maybe DK can even get some early KOs in this match if they're near at the blastzone. But yeah you could be screwed if they just CP MK...

Delfino for dtilt locks, early kills at the walk offs, water gimps (Diddy can do this too so be cautious) and the Stage is built in a way that you can avoid the bananas imo.

daisho

Smash Lord
What I do against Diddys is grab them and either b throw or cargo D throw to get them offstage and try to rack damage while gimping. Diddy is pretty easy to gimp and most diddys immediately side b to recover high if they can. It gets really predictable and is easy to punish with bair.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Diddy runs faster and his aerials are much faster than DKs. That's why I'm not so sure if Brinstar is a good stage... because Diddy could just be in DKs face all the time throwing too fast attacks at him.
Pretty sure Luigi runs faster than Wario. is Luigi faster than Wario? No. Diddy's aerials are also slow. In fact, Diddy's air game is a complete joke to DK and his bair. I've never had any trouble making Diddy my ***** in the air and his juggling is garb. His aerials are really laggy(aerially) like Wolf's, and close range with little/no disjointedness. This is why Brinstar is ideal for DK because DK can kill in the air and he also beats Diddy in the air. In DK's face with fast attacks? His CQC game is kinda bad, I just grab them if they try to jabgrab me and his jab cancel also gets him grabbed. D tilt is alright with nice followups though.

Anyways, Diddy's game is stunning you with projectiles then coming in with attacks. He should be comboing you with bananas which means he can pretty much do it at any %.

Bad write up IMO

Luigi player

Smash Master
Pretty sure Luigi runs faster than Wario. is Luigi faster than Wario? No. Diddy's aerials are also slow. In fact, Diddy's air game is a complete joke to DK and his bair. I've never had any trouble making Diddy my ***** in the air and his juggling is garb. His aerials are really laggy(aerially) like Wolf's, and close range with little/no disjointedness. This is why Brinstar is ideal for DK because DK can kill in the air and he also beats Diddy in the air. In DK's face with fast attacks? His CQC game is kinda bad, I just grab them if they try to jabgrab me and his jab cancel also gets him grabbed. D tilt is alright with nice followups though.
lol, every aerial diddy has is faster than DKs.

And yes, Luigi is faster than Wario, but not with his airspeed.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
lol, every aerial diddy has is faster than DKs.

And yes, Luigi is faster than Wario, but not with his airspeed.
Uh..What? DK's bair is faster than any of Diddy's aerials(similar speed to Diddy's bair even though it doesn't compare in terms of range). When Diddy performs an aerial he is unable to do anything for an excruciatingly long period of time unless he lands immediately, unless the aerial was bair. DK on the other hand has one aerial, bair, that is so incredibly useful that it alone pushes DK's air game past Diddy's. DK's air speed is also extremely good, with above average acceleration IIRC, meaning his spacing is out of Diddy's league. Diddy is not a problem for DK in the air.

In terms of speed, they are close but DK is more mobile, and while Diddy has superior attack speed. his CQC game isn't that good, not that it matters since DK will be spacing the *** out of Diddy the entire match. They key point in this matchup is bananerz which DK abhors.

Um. No. Luigi is not faster than Wario overall. His aerial speed is abysmal, hindering his overall mobility. Wario, on the other hand, moves around like a little squirrel dodging traffic. No comparison.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Uh..What? DK's bair is faster than any of Diddy's aerials(similar speed to Diddy's bair even though it doesn't compare in terms of range). When Diddy performs an aerial he is unable to do anything for an excruciatingly long period of time unless he lands immediately, unless the aerial was bair. DK on the other hand has one aerial, bair, that is so incredibly useful that it alone pushes DK's air game past Diddy's. DK's air speed is also extremely good, with above average acceleration IIRC, meaning his spacing is out of Diddy's league. Diddy is not a problem for DK in the air.

In terms of speed, they are close but DK is more mobile, and while Diddy has superior attack speed. his CQC game isn't that good, not that it matters since DK will be spacing the *** out of Diddy the entire match. They key point in this matchup is bananerz which DK abhors.

Um. No. Luigi is not faster than Wario overall. His aerial speed is abysmal, hindering his overall mobility. Wario, on the other hand, moves around like a little squirrel dodging traffic. No comparison.
Yeah, Diddys aerials all come out ealier than DKs. And if Diddy just throws a banana at DKs bair DK is screwed because he'll face Diddy. And Diddy can close the gap between them with his side B which he can use as an aerial and it has good priority.

Of course DKs bair can beat Diddy in the air as long as DK is facing away from him... but Diddy doesn't has to follow DK in the air. He can just run up to him and shield his bair or something...

Yeah, overall Wario seems faster, because of his airspeed, but Luigis attacks are faster, and you said he runs faster. He also walks faster and his down B is really fast. The only thing Wario has faster is his airspeed. And since it's so much more than anyone elses he is pretty fast. But Luigi has more things he's faster in... ^^

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Diddys aerials all come out ealier than DKs. And if Diddy just throws a banana at DKs bair DK is screwed because he'll face Diddy. And Diddy can close the gap between them with his side B which he can use as an aerial and it has good priority.

Of course DKs bair can beat Diddy in the air as long as DK is facing away from him... but Diddy doesn't has to follow DK in the air. He can just run up to him and shield his bair or something...

Yeah, overall Wario seems faster, because of his airspeed, but Luigis attacks are faster, and you said he runs faster. He also walks faster and his down B is really fast. The only thing Wario has faster is his airspeed. And since it's so much more than anyone elses he is pretty fast. But Luigi has more things he's faster in... ^^
They all come out earlier? Well that's great, but it doesn't make a lick of difference since DK will be spacing Diddy. Also, why would DK throw bairs long range at a naner-wielding Diddy? Sounds like you don't know how these characters play. Side B? Well, aerials don't have priority, it just has a lingering hit and it still loses to bair, plus it's incredibly unsafe on block(D smash anyone?)

Doesn't have to follow him? What makes you think it's hard to face away from someone in the air? lol. Run up to him and shield his bair? What are you talking about?

Yeah, Wario is faster and more mobile. Period. EOD. This is like when people decide who is a better basketball player based on stats. Some people know a lot of recipes and others know how to cook, Oh, and Wario's air speed is only 3rd best in the game, not "so much faster than everyone else's" please learn your ****. Luigi is a very slow character.

Luigi player

Smash Master
They all come out earlier? Well that's great, but it doesn't make a lick of difference since DK will be spacing Diddy. Also, why would DK throw bairs long range at a naner-wielding Diddy? Sounds like you don't know how these characters play. Side B? Well, aerials don't have priority, it just has a lingering hit and it still loses to bair, plus it's incredibly unsafe on block(D smash anyone?)

Doesn't have to follow him? What makes you think it's hard to face away from someone in the air? lol. Run up to him and shield his bair? What are you talking about?

Yeah, Wario is faster and more mobile. Period. EOD. This is like when people decide who is a better basketball player based on stats. Some people know a lot of recipes and others know how to cook, Oh, and Wario's air speed is only 3rd best in the game, not "so much faster than everyone else's" please learn your ****. Luigi is a very slow character.
lol, DKs spacing won't help him that much, because Diddys bananas have greater range if he throws them. And what else would DK do against a Diddy in his face? Not jump if Diddy controls the ground with his naners? DK has to jump to actually be able to do something. And Diddy then is probably close to DK or else he wouldn't have to jump away. And of course Diddy wouldn't do the kick against a DK on the ground (unless he's sure it'll hit or he goes for the grab). I meant when both are in the air and Diddy threw a naner at him so DK faces Diddy and can only fair/uair (uair probably loses to Diddys side B kick or maybe they trade hits).

DK can't really face away from Diddy, because if DK is too far away for Diddys aerials he will throw a banana, and if DK is near Diddy and jumps away, then what will he do? Bair if Diddy isn't even behind him? If he just sh bairs he'll be easily punished unless he lands on a platform with a full jump/double jump. But DK won't win the game if he only runs away. The punch could surprise Diddy though if he's charged and the SA is timed right.

And about Wario. I know he doesn't has the fastest top speed in the air. But he's the most mobile which makes him look really fast. Unlike Yoshi which has the fastest airspeed...

In what else than airspeed is Wario faster than Luigi though? Maybe his dash attack is faster, his neutral B, maybe upB or side B (but those attacks don't make him look quick anyway), maybe dair and his fsmash is faster than Luigis, but all other attacks from Luigi are faster (maybe not usmash, I'm not sure; and of course Warios fart if it's charged a bit).

So depending on what you actually mean with faster Luigi can be faster than Wario. With his attacks for example, or his running/walking speed.

But anyway, it's not about Wario and Luigi here, so let's just stop with them. >_>

daisho

Smash Lord
IMO the only discussion is if this matchup is worse than 60:40. I think without the infinite this is DKs worst matchup.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hm... maybe it helps DK if he keeps holding one banana. He can still punch, down B, upB and side B. A cpu just did this to me. He kept the banana in his hand and attacked with his specials. ^^

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
lol, DKs spacing won't help him that much, because Diddys bananas have greater range if he throws them. And what else would DK do against a Diddy in his face? Not jump if Diddy controls the ground with his naners? DK has to jump to actually be able to do something. And Diddy then is probably close to DK or else he wouldn't have to jump away. And of course Diddy wouldn't do the kick against a DK on the ground (unless he's sure it'll hit or he goes for the grab). I meant when both are in the air and Diddy threw a naner at him so DK faces Diddy and can only fair/uair (uair probably loses to Diddys side B kick or maybe they trade hits).
Uh..huh? DK's spacing is what makes him a High/High mid tier character. Without it, he'd be Ganon. Diddy won't always have a banana in his hand, and if he does, your MO is not to bair him. DK doesn't have to jump, though he will, but he doesn't have to SH double bairs or anything like that. Watch some Diddy vs DK matches with the top DKs competing, and you'll see that the theory crafting you're doing right here amounts to precisely..****. Nothing. Matchup advice should come from experience, not from speculation. DK only faces Diddy if he was DIing towards him. Here's option B, DK uses bair to catch the naner and hit Diddy at the same time, then tosses it downwards and follows up. DK never has to face Diddy in the air, that only happens if you recklessly approach with bair.

DK can't really face away from Diddy, because if DK is too far away for Diddys aerials he will throw a banana, and if DK is near Diddy and jumps away, then what will he do? Bair if Diddy isn't even behind him? If he just sh bairs he'll be easily punished unless he lands on a platform with a full jump/double jump. But DK won't win the game if he only runs away. The punch could surprise Diddy though if he's charged and the SA is timed right.
I'm beginning to think you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to DK's gameplay.

And about Wario. I know he doesn't has the fastest top speed in the air. But he's the most mobile which makes him look really fast. Unlike Yoshi which has the fastest airspeed...

In what else than airspeed is Wario faster than Luigi though? Maybe his dash attack is faster, his neutral B, maybe upB or side B (but those attacks don't make him look quick anyway), maybe dair and his fsmash is faster than Luigis, but all other attacks from Luigi are faster (maybe not usmash, I'm not sure; and of course Warios fart if it's charged a bit).

So depending on what you actually mean with faster Luigi can be faster than Wario. With his attacks for example, or his running/walking speed.

But anyway, it's not about Wario and Luigi here, so let's just stop with them. >_>

You're not understanding what's important when it comes to mobility. Wario's air speed and acceleration make him more mobile than Luigi in all directions, while Luigi can simply run(a tiny bit) faster than Wario. It's all he needs to claim mobile superiority. In DK's case he is extremely fast in the air compared to Diddy, even though he runs a bit slower. With superior range, speed and acceleration DK's aerial game dominates Diddy's. Again, this is why Brinstar is a good CP. Yet you said it wasn't because Diddy is simply "too fast for DK" which was silly.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
By the way for Diddy, I'd especially like to see Ripple writing this one.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I definitely don't see this match-up being worse than 60:40 (if you were talking about Diddy vs. DK, daisho).

I'd put it at 55:45 Diddy, 60:40 is reaallly stretching it IMO, but eh, I have yet to even contribute yet.
(will get to that tomorrow)

daisho

Smash Lord
But... DK has no options against diddy when there are bananas out... I literally just plank till they run out and charge at him hoping he doesn't take new ones out.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
DK has just as many options as most other characters, and he's more mobile than most of high tier. Once you separate Diddy from both bananas, he's your toy until he can regroup with them.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Uh..huh? DK's spacing is what makes him a High/High mid tier character. Without it, he'd be Ganon.
What does this have to do with anything? I know that. Against Diddy it doesn't help him that much though.

Diddy won't always have a banana in his hand, and if he does, your MO is not to bair him.
What else could DK do though? Diddy beats everything else DK has.

DK doesn't have to jump, though he will, but he doesn't have to SH double bairs or anything like that.
If DK doesn't jump he'll get ***** from Diddy. DK can't do **** against Diddy on the ground.
Let's see if Diddy approaches with a glide tossed banana what should DK do? He can either shield, dodge or jump.

If he shields the Diddy can just grab him or do his dash attack which is nearly impossible to shieldgrab. If DK tries to jump OoS it'll be too slow to avoid the dash attack/grab most of the time. If DK spot dodges, Diddy can just do his dash attack, if DK jumps away he's somewhat save. UpB will most likely be too slow too.

Of course if you use grounded upB/full charged punch and happen to SA Diddys banana you could get some hits on him, but that will not happen often, because you don't know when he'll throw the banana. =/

Watch some Diddy vs DK matches with the top DKs competing, and you'll see that the theory crafting you're doing right here amounts to precisely..****. Nothing.
lol, I watches some matches, but even Nanerz vs CBK isn't that good. He did many mistakes. Diddy can just rush DK down und DK will be pressured so much there's little he can do.

Matchup advice should come from experience, not from speculation.
Well yeah I fought against a Diddy with DK and he got me from 0-100 % without me doing any damage to him, because I just wasn't able to do anything because I was pressured too much. Every time I wanted to shieldgrab him he did it before me. Every time I wanted to attack him (if I even could do something because DK get's combo'd so heavily from Diddy) a banana hit me or my attacks were way too slow.

DK only faces Diddy if he was DIing towards him. Here's option B, DK uses bair to catch the naner and hit Diddy at the same time, then tosses it downwards and follows up. DK never has to face Diddy in the air, that only happens if you recklessly approach with bair.
Really? Didn't know that you'll face the direction you DI'd to when getting hit... well that doesn't help DK much, because DK has to approach Diddy so he has to move in his direction. And good luck by always catching the banana with the bair... DK will never have to face Diddy? How can DK approach if not from the air? He can't do it on the ground. The only thing he could do besides bair is side B which is easily avoided (of course it can hit every now and then, but not often unless the Diddy is careless), fair which is also easily avoided/shielded and punished, or uair, but DK has to come really close for this and it also can easily be shielded and punished.

I'm beginning to think you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to DK's gameplay.
You just don't know how much DK can get ***** by Diddy...

You're not understanding what's important when it comes to mobility. Wario's air speed and acceleration make him more mobile than Luigi in all directions, while Luigi can simply run(a tiny bit) faster than Wario. It's all he needs to claim mobile superiority.
Of course Wario can easily move around against Luigi and try to avoid his attacks because he's so fast in the air. This talk was never a matchup between Wario and Luigi (at least not for me). You just said Wario is faster than Luigi, which is true, but not in all aspects. Luigi is really fast with his down B on the ground and he can rise up from it. Luigi can even do 3 aerials in 1 short hop like MK. Isn't that fast to you? Wario is more mobile and can move faster, but Luigis attacks come out faster which can make him look faster than Wario.

I didn't mean Luigi is fast in the way that he can easily catch up with Wario or anything. I just meant Luigi can also be fast, just in a different way.

In DK's case he is extremely fast in the air compared to Diddy, even though he runs a bit slower. With superior range, speed and acceleration DK's aerial game dominates Diddy's. Again, this is why Brinstar is a good CP. Yet you said it wasn't because Diddy is simply "too fast for DK" which was silly.
Yeah, I just meant if DK is in the air and Diddy is on the ground he can easily catch up with DK and attack him from below or behind with a banana. And DKs aerial game only dominates Diddy if he doesn't has a banana in his hand. And there's still side B and the airdodge...

Yeah Diddy is too fast for DK because he has no place to go to besides the platforms if there is a banana on the ground. What should the DK do? Should he approach Diddy? Well he doesn't have a choice, because Diddy has his projectiles. If DK approaches Diddy can just shield everything and throw his bananas. Diddy can also just throw peanuts the whole time to control the air. DK can't come from the ground and grab him because you'll have bananas and dash attacks in your face. So the best thing to do is just to bair him while jumping around avoiding Diddys bananas. And even this is really hard because of the peanuts. And if he bairs Diddy can run below him and attack him or just throw a banana at his bair (or just run away/shield). DK needs room to avoid the bananas and quick attacks from Diddy that's why I think it's not so good for him.

I mean, I don't think it sucks, but I also don't think DK has the advantage on Brinstar.

We can also just look at this match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Da0ODu-HAU

CBK vs Nanerz.

Nanerz did many mistakes. Why jump away from DK if he comes to you facing you? Diddys fair is would be too fast for the punch... and he could've fair'd DK many times. But playing it safe is okay I guess. CBK got a dair gimp on Diddy at low % which he could've easily avoided if he'd just not go below DK. Well, you can't react to everything, but DK also has the risk to get spiked. And the match was still somewhat close at the end. I also have the feeling Nanerz didn't know the stage well. He didn't look at the acid and stayed on the capsules once and was hit by a few dtilts. He could've just jumped away. He should've just baited the DK so he attacks and then punish them. Or just rush DK and keep attacking him. He didn't do this even though DK can't do much against it. DKs attacks are just way too slow against Diddy. =/

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think its 60-40 against Diddy. Just like Ripple said.

Also against Olimar its 60-40 as well. Oli's just have to spam, run away and pivot grab. What more does he need?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
^ that didn't answer the question

so long as you stay in the center of the stage it's bigger, not sure about distance from ledge

its better than fd though, good DI in fd will kill you sooner than iffy DI
explain plz? good DI<iffy DI on FD?

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
not as much as you think

the whole thing or just a summary? and why? I don't have that much trouble with diddy's anymore but I still bet its 60-40
That's why, dude.

Anyways, I'd just like a few tips about the unique points in the matchup.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
What does this have to do with anything? I know that. Against Diddy it doesn't help him that much though.
Uh..yeah it does.

What else could DK do though? Diddy beats everything else DK has.
Bait the banana toss and grab the banana with an aerial or dodge like everyone else.

If DK doesn't jump he'll get ***** from Diddy. DK can't do **** against Diddy on the ground.
Let's see if Diddy approaches with a glide tossed banana what should DK do? He can either shield, dodge or jump.

If he shields the Diddy can just grab him or do his dash attack which is nearly impossible to shieldgrab. If DK tries to jump OoS it'll be too slow to avoid the dash attack/grab most of the time. If DK spot dodges, Diddy can just do his dash attack, if DK jumps away he's somewhat save. UpB will most likely be too slow too.
lol dude just shieldgrab. DK's grab will beat Diddy's in this situation. You can also tap A to grab the banana and retreat or throw it straight down. You could also catch the banana with a bair and hit Diddy at the same time. By the way, Diddy's DA isn't hard to shieldgrab, learn your timing and it's easy.

Of course if you use grounded upB/full charged punch and happen to SA Diddys banana you could get some hits on him, but that will not happen often, because you don't know when he'll throw the banana. =/
I just listed 3 options, but you could also SA punch. lol 'happen to', you do it as a reaction to the banana toss. I'm starting to question your skills dude.

lol, I watches some matches, but even Nanerz vs CBK isn't that good. He did many mistakes. Diddy can just rush DK down und DK will be pressured so much there's little he can do.
Having Diddy under you isn't too bad. His anti-air is mediocre.

Well yeah I fought against a Diddy with DK and he got me from 0-100 % without me doing any damage to him, because I just wasn't able to do anything because I was pressured too much. Every time I wanted to shieldgrab him he did it before me. Every time I wanted to attack him (if I even could do something because DK get's combo'd so heavily from Diddy) a banana hit me or my attacks were way too slow.
I have an explanation, you're not doing it right.

Really? Didn't know that you'll face the direction you DI'd to when getting hit... well that doesn't help DK much, because DK has to approach Diddy so he has to move in his direction. And good luck by always catching the banana with the bair... DK will never have to face Diddy? How can DK approach if not from the air? He can't do it on the ground. The only thing he could do besides bair is side B which is easily avoided (of course it can hit every now and then, but not often unless the Diddy is careless), fair which is also easily avoided/shielded and punished, or uair, but DK has to come really close for this and it also can easily be shielded and punished.
DK can bait an approach because Diddies just love that glide toss. That's how you beat Diddy on the ground.

You just don't know how much DK can get ***** by Diddy...
lol yes I do, I've faced ADHD.

I didn't mean Luigi is fast in the way that he can easily catch up with Wario or anything. I just meant Luigi can also be fast, just in a different way.
Attack speed has nothing to do with mobility.

Yeah, I just meant if DK is in the air and Diddy is on the ground he can easily catch up with DK and attack him from below or behind with a banana. And DKs aerial game only dominates Diddy if he doesn't has a banana in his hand. And there's still side B and the airdodge...
Diddy can't run under you if you're bairing him.

Yeah Diddy is too fast for DK because he has no place to go to besides the platforms if there is a banana on the ground. What should the DK do? Should he approach Diddy? Well he doesn't have a choice, because Diddy has his projectiles. If DK approaches Diddy can just shield everything and throw his bananas. Diddy can also just throw peanuts the whole time to control the air. DK can't come from the ground and grab him because you'll have bananas and dash attacks in your face. So the best thing to do is just to bair him while jumping around avoiding Diddys bananas. And even this is really hard because of the peanuts. And if he bairs Diddy can run below him and attack him or just throw a banana at his bair (or just run away/shield). DK needs room to avoid the bananas and quick attacks from Diddy that's why I think it's not so good for him.[/qupte]

Why don't you land on a banana and pick it up with an air dodge, then you control that banana and that portion of the stage. Thing is, you only need to bair him until he's at 50%, then he's ready to die because it's brinstar. Also, bair destroys peanuts without any hitlag or anything.

Theory crafting is garb, dude. Stop doing it.

EDIT: As for Olimar, yeah he's really annoying but DK can approach with spaced down Bs with up B mixups, get him in the air and he's nearly as helpless as Snake..Plus you can get him offstage for mind numbingly easy gimps. I'd say 45-55 disadvantage or even.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol dude just shieldgrab. DK's grab will beat Diddy's in this situation. You can also tap A to grab the banana and retreat or throw it straight down. You could also catch the banana with a bair and hit Diddy at the same time. By the way, Diddy's DA isn't hard to shieldgrab, learn your timing and it's easy.
You can't shieldgrab if he dash attacks right after the banana throw unless maybe if you powershield it. And the Diddy always hit me with his dash attack if I tried to grab him... and if you wait till it ends he might be behind you or hit you out of your shield (or he just grabs you). Retreating is impossible if you catch the banana unless you jump away and catch it in the air.

I just listed 3 options, but you could also SA punch. lol 'happen to', you do it as a reaction to the banana toss. I'm starting to question your skills dude.
Hmm... maybe, I doubt it's easy though. And the Diddy can still shield after the banana throw and he doesn't have to slide to DK all the time so it's easy to waste the punch.

Having Diddy under you isn't too bad. His anti-air is mediocre.
As long as you have your second jump or are near the edge, yes... but if there are bananas on the ground and a Diddy chasing you it isn't that good =/ unless there are platforms to land.

DK can bait an approach because Diddies just love that glide toss. That's how you beat Diddy on the ground.
It's not that easy. Diddy can play it really safe and glide toss with backwards sliding. What happens next? You avoided the 1st banana and he takes the second one and brings himself in a better position and everything repeats...

Attack speed has nothing to do with mobility.
You just said "Wario is faster than Luigi".

Diddy can't run under you if you're bairing him.
If you full jump he can. If you sh you risk getting hit by bananas...

Why don't you land on a banana and pick it up with an air dodge, then you control that banana and that portion of the stage. Thing is, you only need to bair him until he's at 50%, then he's ready to die because it's brinstar. Also, bair destroys peanuts without any hitlag or anything.
You don't control it if you catch a banana, because DKs banana game sucks. Diddy can easily take every banana back to his control. Bair won't stop every peanut unless you're so near that Diddy has to stop or he gets hit. Diddy won't die at 50 % if he plays careful. He just has to avoid fsmash and the punch which is easy if you play it safe and have it in your mind.
Theory crafting is garb, dude. Stop doing it.
You're probably right...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
the secret to the diddy match up is not keeping control of the center but the places halfway between the middle and the edge. once you're there the match up should be smooth sailin'

that's my secret

oh and be at the place where diddy will be if he does a roll get up and throw a banana where he would be if he does a normal get up and you should **** face

Top Bottom