• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Basically with DK always DI towards the stage if you can. Try not to get your second jump taken away. and you will avoid gimps. CERTAINLY do not do what I did in all my deaths in the match against triple R on my video thread... link is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrgHfunOQc

I played another kirby yesterday (1857 points on the ladder) and he barely beat me both games... i should have won. Avoiding Dair gimps is pretty easy. Just make sure you DI the F smash if you get it and you won't have trouble.

idk about DI-ing toward the stage at all... You want to DI up and away from Kirby. If you DI towards the stage and the Kirby figures it out, you'll take 0-50% as opposed to 0-18%. I know the damage doesn't mean as much to DK, but after the 10% mark you should never have to worry about losing your second jump to get away and it makes Kirby's life in this MU that much more difficult.

daisho

Smash Lord

idk about DI-ing toward the stage at all... You want to DI up and away from Kirby. If you DI towards the stage and the Kirby figures it out, you'll take 0-50% as opposed to 0-18%. I know the damage doesn't mean as much to DK, but after the 10% mark you should never have to worry about losing your second jump to get away and it makes Kirby's life in this MU that much more difficult.
I don't mean out of grab combos, I mean when recovering you should always be DIing towards the stage and not just falling straight down.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
So if DK saves his second jump he should generally be able to get back? Say I Up-B, get Daired, DJ and Up-B, I should still be able to make it? If that's true, that should take care of a big problem in this matchup, maybe even in the Lucas one too (his Dair spike that is).

daisho

Smash Lord
Umm depending on how much of the dair he gets you in and if they footstool you afterwards. You probably still won't make it.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I don't mean out of grab combos, I mean when recovering you should always be DIing towards the stage and not just falling straight down.

Oh, sorry! Yes, the closer you are to the stage with all your options available, the more difficult it is for Kirby to do anything.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Against Kirby:

IN THE AIR - Back air. You will win every time.

ON THE GROUND - Tilt, Punch and grab.

Honestly, its just a predicting game the whole time. Kirby is going to try to back air you while hes making you think hes going for a grab. When it looks like hes going to come down with an air move, hes most likely going to land and go for a grab. You just have to learn how to read that specific Kirby players moves.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ok would anyone like to write fox, wario, bowser, kirby, and possibly the next few summaries? I like writing them but everytime I want to update them something happens. just yesterday I got called into work a 6am-8pm which totally drained me and today from 6-5:30. I swear something doesn't want me to write these.

if anyone would like to take command for the next 4-5 weeks so I can quit my job and get ajusted to college for awhile, it would help a ton, not just me but you guys as well. I'll continue to edit the first post with the write-up someone provides, since I don't think we need another failed match-up thread collecting dust around here.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I think thrilla could modify his kirby thing a bit and it'd be post ready

Bowser: DON'T HIT HIS SHIELD 6:4 dk
Fox: throw him offstage and gimp, if you don't know what to do, upb 55:45 dk

somebody else do wario

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
That sounds good Ripple...

Wario should be the next character as bigfoot stated.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
well we would need someone who plays futile or fiction that plays DK, or that has played them lol.

i know someone whose decent at wario, ill see if i can get some vids with us playing.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Ive played Fiction once. He chain grabbed me. :(

Ive never played Futile before.

daisho

Smash Lord
Btw, add to the first page that you should CP olimar to RC... ever since i started D tilt locking people i am actually happy when they take me there.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Ive played Fiction once. He chain grabbed me. :(

Ive never played Futile before.

I played Fiction too. Same thing, but I kept getting out. He tried to MM my DK with DeDeDe. When I tried to go Fox, he went over to Pikachu. When I went to Diddy he went Marth. When we finally started the match with those last two characters, he stormed out in a huff because he lost. I don't like Fiction.

Anyways, I'll get on that Kirby summary later, I've got an Opera performance tonight but I'm more than happy to do it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
fiction plays like no other wario out there. he is very very patient and usually his only attacks until 80%is is bite and throw+follow up and then resets

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599

I played Fiction too. Same thing, but I kept getting out. He tried to MM my DK with DeDeDe. When I tried to go Fox, he went over to Pikachu. When I went to Diddy he went Marth. When we finally started the match with those last two characters, he stormed out in a huff because he lost. I don't like Fiction.

Anyways, I'll get on that Kirby summary later, I've got an Opera performance tonight but I'm more than happy to do it.
Lol, that does sound like Fiction.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
My only thing is that if the Luigi match up is 50-50, then the Mario one should 60-40. His fireballs are better than Luigi's and he can combo like crazy with. The fireball setups are better than Luigi's.

Ex: Short hop Fireball > Fireball > Running USmash.

Mario can gimp DK like nothing, unlike Luigi who gets gimped really easily. Talking about gimping Mario is harder to gimp, and just edgeguard in general, he has more things that he can do. His fireballs will force you to shield or give he space he can cape to stall for a little bit, and his UpB has more range and does multiple hits.

daisho

Smash Lord
My only thing is that if the Luigi match up is 50-50, then the Mario one should 55-45. His fireballs are better than Luigi's and he can combo like crazy with. The fireball setups are better than Luigi's.

Ex: Short hop Fireball > Fireball > Running USmash.

Mario can gimp DK like nothing, unlike Luigi who gets gimped really easily. Talking about gimping Mario is harder to gimp, and just edgeguard in general, he has more things that he can do. His fireballs will force you to shield or give he space he can cape to stall for a little bit, and his UpB has more range and does multiple hits.
And even with his gimps he kills on average about 20-30% later.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
imo, the luigi matchup is definately not 50-50. its more 55-45 luigi favor, he has combos man (lol) and on top of that shoryuken and fsmash is hax at killing us. luigi gets gimped ez? wth lol he can come back up with his tornado AND his up b, if hes off screen side b ftw, its ridiculous. i dont know what luigi you watch or play against but he has good recovery unlike mario.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord

yeah, he counterpicks everything in friendlies

I went ganon

and he cp'd falco...

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
imo, the luigi matchup is definately not 50-50. its more 55-45 luigi favor, he has combos man (lol) and on top of that shoryuken and fsmash is hax at killing us. luigi gets gimped ez? wth lol he can come back up with his tornado AND his up b, if hes off screen side b ftw, its ridiculous. i dont know what luigi you watch or play against but he has good recovery unlike mario.
Lol. If you fear the upB from Luigi then more than likey he will get you. The only time he should get it off is when you are defenseless,. when you play against Luigi enough you block it everytime. Now the Fsmash angled up is HAXORZ XD.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
wth are you talking about, i was talking about recovering not him getting up B on you LOL! but yeah its luigi favor not 50-50.

@bigfoot

theres 6 DK's in so cal? i thought just 5 including myself. jmex, srk, m7h, you, and me. so whose the 6th? big O?

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
^lol I posted a long paragraph on his recover and erased it and don't feeling like doing it again....

At my point isn't that Luigi should be DK's favor but, what I really want to say is why isn't Mario's matchup in his favor. If he gimps/combos/and has more range than Luigi.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
Mario doesnt combo DK like luigi does, Marios fireballs are better (you can still cancel his out) and the cape thats about it. Im not saying either that the matchup is DK's favor but that one is more even it depends on whether you get gimped or not. Personally you should always recover high on mario and if you recover low make sure you have a DJ to fake him out on the timing of the cape (could still get you but less likely), FLUDD never should be a issue. I just know from experience from 2 mario players that play both mario and luigi.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Mario doesnt combo DK like luigi does, Marios fireballs are better (you can still cancel his out) and the cape thats about it. Im not saying either that the matchup is DK's favor but that one is more even it depends on whether you get gimped or not. Personally you should always recover high on mario and if you recover low make sure you have a DJ to fake him out on the timing of the cape (could still get you but less likely), FLUDD never should be a issue. I just know from experience from 2 mario players that play both mario and luigi.
FLUDD is no problem. Fireballs setups to Dsmashes and stuff hurt. If mario gimps you once from just simply capeing(<<<I Think) you, your kinda up the creek without a paddle the rest of the fight. Recovering high allows him to knock you away and now you have no DJ. When I fight mario's I get in this mode were I cant get knocked off the stage , and end just spacing Bairs until he slips up, then I grab, throw him off stage and Bair space again.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
the times that i have been gimped by marios cape its been over 100% usually, so it wasnt a big loss since thats when usually it gets to be trouble for you to get back after getting hit by a smash attack. Mario is good on the ground where DK is just as good if not better. I always have fun in this matchup. I mentioned FLUDD not being a problem because I have seen DK's and I wont mention any names, that have done upb and get themselves hit by FLUDD. biggest thing would be to save that 2nd jump because I know a lot of people have a habit of using their 2nd jump while they are still off screen.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, I look into this match with the disadvantage. I personally don't like playing this one and cp Japes or Brinstar.

300TH POST

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
Mario's ALWAYS ban japes on me lol. brinstar is good but I prefer delfino. usually when im at kill % we arent flying around lol. oh yeah and cargo dthrow is too good on this stage lol.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Delfino owns, I also think if you cp Halbred it can help. Since if your flying around you can fake him out when the ship lands.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
no to mention how awesome it is when you side taunt after a water spike. ^^

on halbred its good if you have your 2nd jump, recovering from under the stage and he capes you can help you reach the other end and grab the ledge. <3 random capes lol.

daisho

Smash Lord
I can probably do kirby if thrilla doesn't want to...

Lets start a new character in the meantime.

Diddy falco or ZSS please.

Luigi player

Smash Master
If you upB brake against Mario his fludd and cape can probably keep you offstage so you fall to your death if you aren't coming from above.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Lets start a new character in the meantime.

I still need someone to write said match up analysis. who is going to write the kirby bowser wario luigi ones? I don't care if different people take different ones but I would like someone to write at least 1 today or tomorrow

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think Diddy should be next.

@ Ripple. Im pretty sure Thrilla wrote a post about Kirby a few pages back and Bigfoot edited it a little. So that takes care of Kirby. Someone just has to write about the other characters.

Top Bottom