• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
If you buffer a throw while going over a banana, you will be prevented from tripping. The important thing is that you have to buffer the throw. It's mostly used by :popo: players.

I can't do that crap. That's because I'm bad. Maybe I should just play Diddy more now. :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
i main diddy kong and when im in my matches the problems i have is that my opponent always shields my banana throw and then gets them in their hands and then i lost the stage control what should i do to stop that from happening?
Mix up your Banana throws with upward and downward throws instead of always tossing at your opponent. This is one of the main things that separates good Diddy mains from new ones, and while it's a hard habit to break (I'm still pretty guilty of it myself), adding more mix ups will pay off in spades.

When you DO throw a Banana at an opponent, make sure you're doing it for a reason (be it to trip them while they can't react or to bait a shield).

Luigi player

Smash Master
Mix up your Banana throws with upward and downward throws instead of always tossing at your opponent. This is one of the main things that separates good Diddy mains from new ones, and while it's a hard habit to break (I'm still pretty guilty of it myself), adding more mix ups will pay off in spades.

When you DO throw a Banana at an opponent, make sure you're doing it for a reason (be it to trip them while they can't react or to bait a shield).
Yeah dribble wackwards to mix it up more it REALLY helps for that. Also shoot peanuts if you can camp your opponent then randomly cancel the charging peanut into a banana throw to mix it up even more; or just stand there doing nothing for a while then suddenly throw it. It will get difficult for them.
It's pretty easy to shield your bananas if they know when to expect the throw...
(sometimes not even mixups help <_> happened to me this weekend. they always got powershielded... its really annoying)

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
thx for the tips :) hopefully that can help my game some. do u guys have any tips on the matchup for ROB he is the most difficult opponent i have to face and i just keep getting beat so any tips would be greatly appreciated

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
My personal favorite thing to do against rob is when the Gyro is out, just take it and keep throwing it up. A lot of rob players get caught offguard with this because you take away one of their better tools. In my case this is even better since my mentality is to time them out(not something i'd recommend tbh). It's also good to know how long the lazer takes to charge, and that when rob uses his upB, he can't do anything but attack, so he becomes a lot more predictable when recovering.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I went to Impulse and had to play 6 different :rob: players. I've played Holy, Sneakytako, Blackgold, etc. and the one thing they all have in common is that if you're thrown offstage; you should be dead. Camp.......REALLY hard. Keep :rob: at the edge of the stage and shoot peanuts. When he gets onstage, whittle down his shield and knock him back off. If you are put offstage, recover high, and make your way back to the middle of the stage, and set up camp again. Avoid any stage with fake ledges or any stage that is easy to be put in a perilous situation on. If :rainbowcruise: and :brinstar: are both legal, ban :brinstar:. There is no way for a good :rob: to lose on that stage and :rainbowcruise: is much more doable for us. If :rob: tries to go overhead with his up b, fair him. He cannot airdodge out of it (until he uses an aerial or lands) and our fair outranges all of his moves.

The important thing in this MU is to keep :rob: away from you and on the ledge. Like River said, time him out if you have to, but you shouldn't be approaching him much at all. I used to think this MU was -1 for us, but if you camp HARD it's even.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
It kind of suprises me that Zinoto has the same idea about the ROB MU, i used to hate ROB so much, untill i realised camping actually worked. I really have to agree with (almost) everything Zinoto just said, except that the stage part doesn't apply to me because we have Brinstar AND RC banned , so i just ban Frigate so they basicly have no gay place to go.

The only thing i wouldn't agree with is the ratio, in that case i'd say P-1 is right that it's +1, but i only played a couple of EU robs on wifi and the 2 best dutch robs offline, which aren't really toplevel players.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Rob out camps diddy, idk wtf you guys are smoking. I just stay midrange where peanuts will hit the top of his head then I just fair and side-b a lot and I win

:phone:

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
My mommy would get mad if she caught me smoking :c

Seriously tho, i play some weird robs, but as i also mentioned i often just steal the gyro which makes their camping game A LOT worse. Side B is indeed extremely usefull against Rob, and Fair offstage does destroy him.

I think it would be more correct to say i don't specificly 'Camp' a rob(unless i have the gyro + naner + distance to shoot peanuts), but that i just don't approach and aim for chip damage.(Basicly the same thing lol)

Another thing i forgot to mention is that Diddy can juggle Rob really well. Once he's above you Uair strings are actually legit, and if you finally allow him to land near you, just go in with an Nair or Utilt to start over again.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
^ This.

Stay midrange.
Shoot peanuts.
Don't approach.
Powershield lasers.
GGs.
Funny how I was just going to ask how you guys use your projectiles as Diddy but I can see how you would do it against a R.O.B.

Is that effective against most characters as well?

clowsui

Smash Legend
^ This.

Stay midrange.
Shoot peanuts.
Don't approach.
Powershield lasers.
GGs.
Sneakytako

1-1

your move

also P-1 I don't think any ROB in the USA plays the matchup as well as Sneaky. like there are def better ROB PLAYERS but as for actual expertise at the MU i think you should try playing Sneaky first =)

Player-1

Smash Legend
I played Sneaky in a friendly when he came to TN, he wanted to see how well he could do against other Diddys. I didn't see anything super special he did in the diddy MU and I still beat him in the friendly

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
Is there any specific way I should set my controller that benefits Diddy a lot?
The controls is based on the person really. I mean, my controls for Lucas is different than IC. So it all depends on you. Try out different things and check it out.

Luigi player

Smash Master
when you don't know where exactly the opponent will be and to have a longer lasting hitbox?
other than that it puts opponents upwards (which can be good) and comes out as a surprise often. it also has less landinglag than all his other aerials besides bair.

I also use it to break MKs tornado from above. Still the best aerial to beat nado with from my experience.

Nairs hitbox starts like below/behind him.

Napos

Smash Ace
Against olimar, i know sidebkick kills all pikmin. Whats best when you don't wanna do that option? Dtilt?

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
kill sticky pikmin with z-drop 2 nair (while holding a nana)

note: pikmin (his side-b) won't stick while you're in your shield

Roxas M

Smash Master
Random question, but where is the Diddy video thread at? Sort of disappeared once you got the video sub-section, and that just has critique matches. Not the video thread.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Actually, we don't really have one now that I think about it. Well, we might have an old one, but if you're looking for videos that aren't a year and a half old you won't find them in that thread. We could use a new one if anyone wanted to do that.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Soooooooooooo.....who wants to go to New York?
Opening up a carpool for Impact in New York Tell your friends

(disclaimer one way trip)

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
Soooooooooooo.....who wants to go to New York?
Opening up a carpool for Impact in New York Tell your friends

(disclaimer one way trip)
The heck? You're posting this everywhere! LOL

Well, I'm glad you are really dedicated to go. :)

Roxas M

Smash Master
Actually, we don't really have one now that I think about it. Well, we might have an old one, but if you're looking for videos that aren't a year and a half old you won't find them in that thread. We could use a new one if anyone wanted to do that.
Well, if anyone else isn't offering to do it, I could put one together in my free time. Trying to pick up Diddy myself, so I can do two things at once: Watch videos and put them in a thread as a go along. I'd organize it, of course.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Well, if anyone else isn't offering to do it, I could put one together in my free time. Trying to pick up Diddy myself, so I can do two things at once: Watch videos and put them in a thread as a go along. I'd organize it, of course.
Shoot, if you could do that, it'd certainly be appreciated. I say go for it!

me9595

Smash Apprentice
hello diddy boards, since you guys know things in regard to bananas and banana infinites, i was wondering if you could answer a question for me
I have heard that luigi has a banana infinite on snake, i want to know if it is true and also how to do it, not that it is useful at all, but still maybe for dubs

Oonai

Smash Cadet
Been looking for some recent videos of pro TL vs pro Diddy (tournament matches).

Only thing I've been able to find is gnes vs hyro or gnes vs jerm from 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks in advanced

Oonai

Smash Cadet
Too lazy to tell exactly what you are talking about, but I have a pretty extensive diddy playlist. Also starting on the second playlist, since youtube will only allow me to make playlists that have 200 videos. So far I have something like 40 hours worth of diddy info... lol, stoopid.

The lists include a collection of general smash techs, diddy techs, and diddy MU videos (including a couple scrubby videos of myself in tournament.... I initially made this playlist to improve my own play, so feel free to skip the 6 or so videos of me).

Here are the links for you diddy mains:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2F0E17EE25F83164&feature=mh_lolz

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9_gWCLX4gdqA7uSgpLrNKhl72EvPcjRO&feature=mh_lolz

:awesome:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
do i need good tech skill to be good with diddy? like without it does diddy suck? i didnt start learning him yet but i want to

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys, i was wondering since I have about only 2 hours a day to practice and/or watch videos, what would be the most effective way to spend my time efficiently to improve diddy? Is their specific things I must look @ ? Or .......

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, i was wondering since I have about only 2 hours a day to practice and/or watch videos, what would be the most effective way to spend my time efficiently to improve diddy? Is their specific things I must look @ ? Or .......

If I were you, Id split the time in half (mainly cause most sets take so long) between watching vids and actual practice. Though if you feel like your not really learning much from the videos at any point, then cut it short and put more time into actual practice, or researching stuff on the game (chars , strats, Matchup stuff, etc.) For diddys to watch, theres ADHD Gnes Zinoto Player-1 are probably the most notable for america atm, Cyve and Luigi player for EU, and Japan has Nagahari and Suinoko. For stuff to practice, the banana infinite is nice, but if your just starting out with diddy id avoid it for a while, practice the basic double banana lock (set CPU to walk so they will getup roll immediately, if they getup at all, somethings off in your timing) Popgun cancels of all kind are useful (turnaround , wavebounce, or to just go into shield/glidetoss) Also getting used to the timing of the Side B kick cancel (i think thats what its called in the kongpendium, basically diddy wont make the monkey sound from the side b) Thats about as much as I can think of for Diddy specific stuff. Of course work on recoveries, movement, and other general techs (such as glidetossing, platform canceling if you play a lot on smashville) Hope this helps.

Top Bottom