• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Okay awesome :) and for later reference, when I start training the single nana lock some time in the next few months probably, do I have to have z as grab for the z-grab in air? Because my z is attack for sheik DACUSing

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well Z is importante for Z-catching
which basicly let you catch a banana without lag. it's importante for diddy.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Any grab button will preform Z catching, so if you already have another grab button then no you wont have to change it , but it may make it easier :X

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
You could try setting L or R, whichever one you don't use for shielding, to Attack (or Grab, I suppose) instead of Z so that you can do both Sheik's DACUS and Z-Grab. Just remap whichever shoulder button you don't notice yourself using as much for shielding. Personally I have Y as Grab and use that more often than Z for Z-Grabbing/Z-Dropping, and I know a lot of people here do the same thing with X as Grab.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I'm weird, I use X to grab, and I use Z to Z catch. I never grab with Z or Z catch with X.

I think because I find it easier to Z catch using my index finger and throwing it with C-stick using my thumb right away.

:phone:

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Ahh but that's where I have my problem, I have a weird habit, I L-shield when I'm on the left side of the incoming attack, and R-shield if I'm on the right, not entirely sure why, also I use both x and y to jump depending on if I'm short hopping or full hopping, so I suppose if I could break those habits then I could remap to be more efficient, so any advice there?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
How many frames of lag or before he can do anything does diddy kong have after getting hit out of his upB (when he is charging the barrels). Hope that makes sense

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Ahh but that's where I have my problem, I have a weird habit, I L-shield when I'm on the left side of the incoming attack, and R-shield if I'm on the right, not entirely sure why, also I use both x and y to jump depending on if I'm short hopping or full hopping, so I suppose if I could break those habits then I could remap to be more efficient, so any advice there?
Decide which one you want to keep, and change the other one to taunt, so you can train yourself to only use one shield/jump button. Then once you're comfortable using one shield/jump, change the taunt to whatever you want to put there instead.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I didn't think about that, one of the things I did to try and stop my rolling was I got rid of my shield buttons, and turned them to attack buttons so I did have any other option but to space/counter attack, but I was still comfortable hitting the buttons when I needed them, but as soon as I turned them back to shield I was rolling again. But with taunt maybe I'll get used to not using the button, and then I can retrain myself to use it later... I'll try it :) Thank you!!!

Oonai

Smash Cadet
What secondary covers diddy's weaknesses best?
What secondary would cover weaknesses and have a small learning curve?

I've been making good progress with my diddy, and (lets be honest) Brawl will only be around and competitive for another year or so. Is it worth picking up a secondary? Not like diddy has any terrible MUs, but I'd like to see a little more success in tournaments.

Also, please note MK is currently banned in my region. Thanks!

vato_break

Smash Master
What secondary covers diddy's weaknesses best?
What secondary would cover weaknesses and have a small learning curve?

I've been making good progress with my diddy, and (lets be honest) Brawl will only be around and competitive for another year or so. Is it worth picking up a secondary? Not like diddy has any terrible MUs, but I'd like to see a little more success in tournaments.

Also, please note MK is currently banned in my region. Thanks!

marth as he goes even with snake and falco and he beats wario(a bad mu). Marth is not very hard to learn and probably relfects your basic brawl skill the most.

Marth is a very hard character to play at higher levels but, it's worth it if you can get good with him.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Marth learning curve is full of plateaus, be careful about that.
And you have to keep in mind that almost everybody knows their Marth matchup haha

But yeah, theorically, he's Diddy's best possible secondary.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Pikachu isn't bad imo

He beats snake and goes evenish with mk
2 harder mu's
imo wario-diddy is even.
pikachu also counters Falco and is just like diddy small and annoying.

Oonai

Smash Cadet
Currently my hardest match-up is marth. My region has at least 3 good marths, and I find myself overwhelmed. I am not very good as using marth, so maybe picking me up will help with the diddy vs math MU too. I like the idea of pika, but seems like quite different than diddy as far as function. dunno...

Overall tho, you guys think picking up a secondary is worth it? Or just get hella good with diddy?

Limeee

Smash Champion
stick with diddy kong.

otherwise you will get put in awkward counterpick situations, when you could just be really good at diddy and steamroll anything

:009:

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Currently my hardest match-up is marth. My region has at least 3 good marths, and I find myself overwhelmed. I am not very good as using marth, so maybe picking me up will help with the diddy vs math MU too. I like the idea of pika, but seems like quite different than diddy as far as function. dunno...

Overall tho, you guys think picking up a secondary is worth it? Or just get hella good with diddy?
If marth is your only real worry for you than I'd say stick it out with Diddy kong. Though if you have some other MUs that you are worried about then you might want to look into a secondary for those (depending on the MU)

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I should say diddy kong works way better when used solo.

Diddy has so many at's and tech skill stuff that you really can **** yourself over if you use to many or to hard subs. I did try to pick up a sub and then I had to choose.My diddy got far worse because I did put time in an ther character.So I did choose to drop my subs(Dk,Marth) and go solo diddy.

I only have a ****y pocket mk which I only use in dubz sometimes.

Oonai

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help. I played around for a while with some other characters. The only one that seemed to really appeal to me was Wario, but I feel like he is way too different to get good at while still trying to retain a good diddy. Probably go pure diddy.

as for the IC MU, I'd say it comes down to stages. Whoever has more favourable stages has the advantage.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I now ditto MKs. A French MK who usually 2stocks my diddy went to last stock last hit against my MK.

And they wonder why I want him banned :V

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well diddy-mk is pretty even on stage but when diddy gets off-stage the mk mu is really annoying
>->

STEM

Smash Cadet
I was looking through the Kongpendium and I saw different Single Nana Lock techniques, and I found another one on smashboards through google. Should I try to learn all of them? or one (which one)?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Player-1 is probably the one who can answer that question the best, but until he gets here I'll say it's good to know different ones for different situations. Certain SNLs are easier to perform than others, some you can do even if you're under a platform, some require a certain technique to turn the opponent around so you can infinite the opponent even at an edge; in short, there is no short answer to that question, as a given situation can call for a specific one of Diddy's many SNLs where others would not work. Again, P1 can give a better answer as he is one of the few Diddys that is actively using it in his playstyle.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I was looking through the Kongpendium and I saw different Single Nana Lock techniques, and I found another one on smashboards through google. Should I try to learn all of them? or one (which one)?
I'd learn all of them, they're all useful in some situation or another, but the main ones would be in this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13064502#post13064502

I always have this page up on my phone for reference :3

:phone:
This is what I would recommend as well. These are probably the most useful and reliable single naner infinites and can be practiced like the :popo: chain grab. I've been getting it in a lot of my tourney matches, but I drop it under pressure =(. I'd recommend practicing a bit in a pressured situation as well, it feels completely different than in training mode.

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
hey everyone i got a question im having alot of trouble learning how to BDACUS its just a real pain and ive tried for hours on end and yet i cant get it right so can u guys give me some tips

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well this is not really the threat to ask such questions :$
you have more change when you ask the same question in the social threat =)
enyway don't bother that yet it's one of diddy's hardest at's try to learn everything else first so that your tech skill is good enaugh and you can do it consistanly.

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
well this is not really the threat to ask such questions :$
you have more change when you ask the same question in the social threat =)
enyway don't bother that yet it's one of diddy's hardest at's try to learn everything else first so that your tech skill is good enaugh and you can do it consistanly.
alright thank you. any tips on how to work on spacing teching and other AT's

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well
you can read the kongpendium
reading is boring but it's not that bad of a read and it is a great guide.
diddy has so many tech skills and stuff I can't explain that all in 1 post xD
but just go to trainings mode and practise for hours is what I did :$

ow and watch Mr.R on youtube... srs that guys tech skill is way to pro xD

Top Bottom