• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice, I'll work on that as soon as possible.. And try to upload some videos to get some feedback. Once again thank you!!

:phone:

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, erm... I was wondering how would I cancel a move. For example jab - cancelled dtilt. How would I be able to do it.

#2 What are my best options out of fthrow, bthrow, dthrow/uthrow ( if any ).

#3 I was working on the popgun cancel, I can do it with shield and roll.. But in the AT video guide it showed the diddy popgun cancelled into glide toss.... Is their a specific button command or it's all timing?

#4 Is fox trotting effective with diddy? Or in general is it. Good to use when playing?

Thanks in advance.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
1.Jab cancel is godlike and really easy. release the buttons really short and do it use your follow-up or press down. Grab and dtilt are imo your best follow ups but SideB works to punish a roll and the list goes on with great options be creative.

2.I like this question a lot. For one this is my favorite thing to do with diddy. Bthrow or ftrow>run to them and shield. If they do anything that isn't jump regrab. if the sopt dodge grab afterward. If they attack shieldgrab. if they AD it's a free grab. and if they jump you can try to punish their landing if they can't stay in the air for long. Other then that you could pick up banana's to reset your camping or get close to them pretty safe. You have no guaranteed follow so take that in mind.

3.Nope there isn't You just have to use pogun then tap shield and then roll+smash attack. the timing is a bit tricky when you try to master it but you will get it down pretty fast just train it for like an hour in trainings mode =)

4.Fox troting is always good to use because it can give you some nasty mindgames and diddy can use foxtrot to shield grab really well or foxtrot to banana glide toss. You can do much more with it but these things are just really good.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
To add to what GoofyGV posted,

Uthrow Followups: FH Uair possible things that may beat this out
-Moves like falcos dair that come out real fast , in this case wait for him to miss and utilt juggle him for it
- Airdodge, just wait it out a bit after your jump then Uair

Uthrows can also sort of setup a tech chase sort of game where you guess their landing option and uthrow them again to repeat the situation, it works sometimes tho I don't recommend using this often tho it can work well if you go to FD or SV.

Foxtrotting can also let you do stuff like foxtrot>stutter step fsmash. I see Leon and Mr R do this a lot with Marth and it sorta works out if I think someones going to chase me ill fox trot away, see they are giving chase, and then stutter step fsmash them or dash back at them and grab if they are goin to shield.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
If you wanna bother learning how to BDACUS, fthrow --> BDACUS is a crap ton of percent if done at low percents (especially on spacies). The only one I've seen who can BDACUS at will is Player-1 and even then he only does it out of fair.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Would it be practical to Spotdodge > BDACUS immediately at the start of a match (when both players are on start the same surface of course) for free damage cause no one expects it to even react? Throw in a few u-tilts since it's still low percent.

Otherwise I'm probably just being a trivial Diddy for attempting this everytime recently, only managing it 10% of the time for 20%-ish damage.

Player-1

Smash Legend
dtilt to bdacus is faster, sometimes I'll do dash attack to bdacus cuz it'll make the opponent think you messed the bdacus up

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Soo much to learn and keep in my head..... Starting to get headaches ....

Anyways, guys.. I have no idea of how to play diddy using banana's.. How do you train to get better with items.

For now I've been playing a nana-less diddy... Just working on the basics and popgun cancel etc... But no banana's. When I get a babanana in my hand I tend to do stupid things.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well there really isn't a specifik way to train that. Just play a lot and use Banana's know what you can do with them. Like when you have on in hand you can do any special move or do a glide toss in 4 diffrent ways with 4 diffrent slides. You can also jump to throw and z drop it. etc there are so many things you can do with them just be creative.

You could so it as an IC desychn actualy.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Which character would make a good secondary choice for diddy mains? Would pikachu be a good choice or someone theirs someone that fits the spot better?

And what are your best ledge options?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
as sacondary you don't really need one actualy and because Diddy is a draining character to play it's even better to go with only diddy. I found this out a bit to late.
Anyway if you want a sacondary I'd go with one that is not hard to play or you can learn easely. Pikachu can be nice vs Snake and Falco if you hate those mu's. ofc MK is the best sub.

as for ledge options. You ledge hop to fair,sideB,nair,uair,AD and Dair. you can wall jump for banana peel on stage you can use a banana if you have on in your hand. those are probably your best options.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Ahh I see nice, thank you for always answering my questions. It really makes me want to continue diddy

I absolutely hate mk and oli, so they are not an option for me. I guess I'll focus on only diddy for now and use pika for the mu's like u stated.

Which options out of the ones stated are best for an olimar who stays at the edge?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well having a sacond character is not really a problem imo but your main focus should always be on Diddy. It's such an draining character to play for your mind and you have to master so many AT's. My Diddy is more a basic one and I focus on fast dash games and fast shield grabs. which stage control by using banana's

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
My diddy is a complete beginner.. Because I'm not using banana's :( it's so hard to avoid auto pilot mode....... So much to learn....

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys couple of questions-

What do you if you opponent isn't approaching and you don't have the lead? I can't just throw nanas at them because that's free nana control for them. I normally just shoot peanuts and approach with a short hop z drop nana but it doesn't seem to be effective.

I'm also having trouble controlling two nanas. Particularly after my opponent has been KOd and I pull out a second nana. Do you guys just keep throwing them around even if the opponent isn't close to you?

Thanks in advance.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Hey guys couple of questions-

What do you if you opponent isn't approaching and you don't have the lead? I can't just throw nanas at them because that's free nana control for them. I normally just shoot peanuts and approach with a short hop z drop nana but it doesn't seem to be effective.

I'm also having trouble controlling two nanas. Particularly after my opponent has been KOd and I pull out a second nana. Do you guys just keep throwing them around even if the opponent isn't close to you?

Thanks in advance.

as for Approaching. Mix this up. Always approaching the same way is really predictable and can lead in punishment. Sometimes going for the worst option is the best because no one really expects it. you can go for sideB with or without banana,Glide toss banana,sh fair,dash attack you can dash in and shield(without banana grab) or toss banana,you can jump and toss a banana, you can go for a pivot grab, you can shoot peanuts etc. You can do so much and it's basicly endless. 1 rule Do not be predictable.

To add to that question, how do I DI and momentum cancel with diddy?

you want to DI to the upper corner because that will make your flight though the air longer. You can do this by mashing the C-stick and holding the control stick. Not in exactly the same direction because that will result in the game only reading 1 of the 2 imputs. useualy you want to mash C-stick up+left/Right and you want to hold the control stick up+left/right. But like I sed not in the same direction. you can also use Monkeyflip as a momentum cancel.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Kk I think I'm becoming familiar with that... Now I'd like to ask... When I get cornered for example when a character corners me.. What options do I have as diddy? And in general for any character?
When I try to roll I almost always get punished... So I have no idea what I should do.......

#2 what moves should I avoid staling? Fsmash? ftilt?

And how effective is fair?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
1.Like your always mix it up. You can use dash attack you can sideb you can knock away your oponent. You can do a lot actualy but if you always rolls you will get readed and punished. so mix it up.

2. try to keep Dsmash fresh as long as possible. Do not follow every banana slip up with Dsmash. and pummel once after your oponent passed 50% and twice after 80% pummel 3 times when 100% and other then that just go for as much as you think is safe. This is great to keep move Fresh

3. It's godlike!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use it as often as possible. Great range,Knockback,Priority,startup etc it's really really good. You should use it to Punish you can use it to mind game you can use it as follow up on a lot of moves and 155 damage lol. This move is your best arial and other then Banana's and SideB your best move.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Does Diddy get more fun the more you play him?

Sounds like a silly question, but I ask because I'm considering picking him up because I like the character, but I find him really awkward to play because I'm not familiar with him. My current main (Bowser) was awkward for me at first, but now he's fun once I become comfortable with him.

I'm basically wondering if the same thing will happen with Diddy. If he becomes a lot more fun once you are familiar with his movement, his mix ups, controlling two nanas etc.

I was also thinking about playing with only one nana when I want to play for a timeout or about to be KOd. The reason is that in these situations, I just wanna be as safe as possible, whilst racking on a little damage. The one nana idea is that they're less likely to get control of one (or two nanas) if something goes wrong and could use your nanas to turn the tide against you. Just wanna know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Does Diddy get more fun the more you play him?

Sounds like a silly question, but I ask because I'm considering picking him up because I like the character, but I find him really awkward to play because I'm not familiar with him. My current main (Bowser) was awkward for me at first, but now he's fun once I become comfortable with him.

I'm basically wondering if the same thing will happen with Diddy. If he becomes a lot more fun once you are familiar with his movement, his mix ups, controlling two nanas etc.

I was also thinking about playing with only one nana when I want to play for a timeout or about to be KOd. The reason is that in these situations, I just wanna be as safe as possible, whilst racking on a little damage. The one nana idea is that they're less likely to get control of one (or two nanas) if something goes wrong and could use your nanas to turn the tide against you. Just wanna know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.
To me Diddy became more fun the more I began to play him. Not only because I understand the character more, but also cause of gaining better control and understanding of how the bananas effect each chars gameplan as well as how it can effect people psychologically. Also having something that not only you but your opponent have to interact with on stage I find to be really interesting.

As for using one banana for time out situations, that could go either way due to how the "ADHD stance" works,as some call it. Basically Banana in hand, one in front, shoot peanuts. Peanuts pester them into making a quick approach as well as interrupting a lot of chars sh approaches. If they approach they are forced to jump over you, or attack. The banana infront will prevent most chars from being able to grab, exception being tether grabs, but those are slow enough for you to react to, avoid it, and then punish them with most likely a double banana lock which leads into huge damage. Attacks are beat by shield, then you get another banana toss (maybe even lock) punish. Without the 2nd banana out, they are able to dash up and grab again, meaning you gotta guess between grab and attack now, instead of just attack. At least to my understanding, thats how that goes and why its so good.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
I would like to ask how many times can you use a move before it's stale?

How would I know if it's stale, and how do I refresh it?

And btw: is this thread gonna be completed?

www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307860
Move staling ,as far as I know, works as such. The game records the last 10 moves that you have used that has hit something. The more times a move is on this list, the more it stales. To refresh moves, you basically stale other moves and force the move you want refreshed, off of the list. Moves like marths dancing blade (side B) is great for this as you can easily combo 4 seperate hits of it , each hit taking its own spot on the list. Do this twice, plus say a grab and a pummel, all his other moves are now refreshed. In our case a usmash can work nicely to refresh moves a bit, or just doin a few pummels before a throw could help. To know if a move is stale youll just have to keep track of which moves you have used that have hit something (opponent, castle siege statues, warios bike, smashville balloon, etc.)

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. You for the reply.

Well I just learned how to single and double nana dribble consistently, and was wondering if it effective in a real match?

I'm seeing it as probably just fancy play, but I'm not sure :)

Sorry for asking so much questions.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Dribbling could also be used to quickly avoid moves you predict coming at you simillar to how wavedashing is used in melee. You believe your opponent is about to throw out a move your just barely within range of, dribble back, the move whiffs, then get a banana toss punish immediately after. You can also use it if you see someone in their shield and believe they may spotdodge when your close to them (in anticipation of a side B grab or if they try to use spotdodges to avoid attacks often, yoshis will do this due to having the worst OoS options) Dribbling can also lead into a banana infinite or single naner lock.
As for double dribble its more of just "I can do this when Im bored during respawn" sort of thing, but technically it would also save a slight amount of time on the banana timers so they wont dissapear as fast since they wont be on teh ground the entire time but thats really minimal stuff.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dribbling could also be used to quickly avoid moves you predict coming at you simillar to how wavedashing is used in melee. You believe your opponent is about to throw out a move your just barely within range of, dribble back, the move whiffs, then get a banana toss punish immediately after. You can also use it if you see someone in their shield and believe they may spotdodge when your close to them (in anticipation of a side B grab or if they try to use spotdodges to avoid attacks often, yoshis will do this due to having the worst OoS options) Dribbling can also lead into a banana infinite or single naner lock.
As for double dribble its more of just "I can do this when Im bored during respawn" sort of thing, but technically it would also save a slight amount of time on the banana timers so they wont dissapear as fast since they wont be on teh ground the entire time but thats really minimal stuff.
In that first scenario, wouldn't it just be better to leave the nana on the ground so the opponent slips on it?

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Not sure what you mean, if your talking about if the opponent is falling in with an aerial, if they do the aerial late, the attack will not only hit you but pick up the banana if you left it on the ground.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Not sure what you mean, if your talking about if the opponent is falling in with an aerial, if they do the aerial late, the attack will not only hit you but pick up the banana if you left it on the ground.
Yeah good point. What I meant was of the opponent was grounded and did an attack which extended their hurtbox into the nana.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah good point. What I meant was of the opponent was grounded and did an attack which extended their hurtbox into the nana.

Ah, well in general I meant if you had the banana in hand already, in that case yeah you would just leave the naner there on the ground.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ah, well in general I meant if you had the banana in hand already, in that case yeah you would just leave the naner there on the ground.
What I meant was that you do a backward glidetoss with a dthrow, so that you retreat, and they slip on the nana when they extend their hurtbox.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Interesting stuff :), well erm what would you do when opponent somehow gets control of ur banana(s). Do you just shield em or .... ?

And I read somewhere this morning that ftilt stops mk's tornado. Is this true?

If this is not too much trouble to ask, what are some nice banana setups/mix ups you can do with diddy at start of or during match.

What's my next best stage to pick if FD ALWAYS gets banned?

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
If they did an attack, you throw the banana to punish during your dribbling instead of hoping the hurtbox will touch the down-thrown backward-glidetoss.

Top Bottom