• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Interesting stuff :), well erm what would you do when opponent somehow gets control of ur banana(s). Do you just shield em or .... ?

And I read somewhere this morning that ftilt stops mk's tornado. Is this true?

If this is not too much trouble to ask, what are some nice banana setups/mix ups you can do with diddy at start of or during match.

What's my next best stage to pick if FD ALWAYS gets banned?

:phone:

Most chars lose the ability to grab once they obtain a banana, so that means everything they do from that point essentially gets beaten by shielding, so just keep calm and keep in mind that you can just shield whatever they do (exceptions being other Diddys, Wario, Yoshi, Lucario and Ganon all having a special grab You can sort of put marth hear also due to the threat of shieldbreaker but eh) Also remember if you have a read that your opponent will toss the banana at you you can beat the banana toss with not only shield, but aerials (since they will catch the banana during startup) or instant toss the banana either back at them or to the ground (or you can just jump and Zcatch it and run away with it)

Yes properly spaced Ftilt will beat out tornado.

Banana setups and mixups are sort of just on the spot improvising for most of the time, at least how I feel. If they are standing near a banana that you have placed you can throw out a attack like fsmash where they could shield it but get knocked onto the banana because of pushback from the move and get another followup because of the slip (or they slip inbetween the 2 hits and the 2nd hit connects because of this) you can set it up sort of by jumping over them, zdropping the banana in front of them, and then bairing them into it but they will have to be really scared in their shield (more likely nowadays i guess due to the threat of banana infinite). Also if someone is running at you and theres a banana inbetween you and them they will most likely try to dash attack to pick up the banana and hit you or sh over the banana, you can do sh fair just behind the banana to cover both of these options, tho if they read this and shield just before the banana, you can beat that by side Bing or grabbing, so thats how that mixup will go.

Generally the next best stage if FD is banned would be Smashville or Battlefield. I prefer smashville (as most due i believe) due to less platforms so its more FD like. plus you can use platform cancel to quickly get bananas off of the moving platform

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, ermm... I'm having a bit of trouble vs my friends MK. Basically he dairs a lot, and erm... Powershield - grab my fairs all the time, and getting back to the stage is always a hassle :(.

Any tips suggestions?

Btw: Do you guys have any other control setup besides default?

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Hey, ermm... I'm having a bit of trouble vs my friends MK. Basically he dairs a lot, and erm... Powershield - grab my fairs all the time, and getting back to the stage is always a hassle :(.

Any tips suggestions?

Btw: Do you guys have any other control setup besides default?
It seems common to have tap jump off in general. Me personally I have Y for special (to do jumping specials quicker) Tap jump off (to Utilt easier and to start off with having my shield tilted up, this helps a lot against MKs nado).
If hes dairing alot try to build a bit of space away and shoot peanuts on him to try to rack up a bit of damage on him safely, if your feeling risky or believe hes just autopiloting the dairs over and over, time a banana toss from under him up at him to a uair, or just run up aerial him for it inbetween his dairs.
For recovering, try to save your jump for as long as you can, try using fair or side b kick (saving your jump will really help for this to jump after and hopefully make it back if you do this a tad low) to get him away if hes chasing you offstage a lot. If hes waiting on stage and just putting you back offstage a lot, make sure to keep mixing up your landings with popgun cancels and to keep mixing up what you do from the ledge.
As for the powershielding of your fairs, you just gotta replace a few of them with a dash up grab/side b grab or some other mix up.
Try faking a fair by doing a empty jump (doing nothing during the jump) and see what happens if your expecting him to Shieldgrab you. If hes hiding in his shield for a bit, then hes most likely reacting to the sound of you hitting his shield or something of the sort. If he whiffs a grab, then hes just tapping shield before grabbing. If hes hiding in his shield than you can try to Fastfall grab him. If he whiffs the grab then fast fall with a aerial for a punish (Nair>utilt>aerial at really low percents can work nicely, otherwise Id just opt for fair/bair to build space)

I hope you find this all useful

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks :) hehe... Diddy really takes a good bit of dedication :)

Btw: is there like a diddy kong skype group?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
is diddy kong hard to learn? i feel like he is. i might pick him up. idc if he's hard to learn or not. im still gonna pick him up. i just wanna know what to expect when learning him since the glide toss is really hard right now :p

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Diddy is definitely hard to learn IMO, but he's just too much fun to play with :) expect the unexpected :) ......, and keep at it bro.... Diddy all the way.....

Now on a side note, how to avoid being gimped by mk when off stage? Seems like as soon as I UpB he waits and nairs = me dead >.<

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i didnt see this in a thread but is there a way to catch a banana while side b-ing? i think i saw it happen but i cant figure it out and i couldnt find it in the guide.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
you cant catch a banana during your actual side b animation, but you can immediately after or before, so it may seem like they caught it during the side b (or had a banana in hand you didnt notice)
As for not getting gimped by MK, honestly it feels like you just have to get him to mess up, try to save your jump as long as possible , sometimes ill up B up onto the stage knowing ill be nair'd so afterwards i can side b kick through whatever he does and then jump if i end up being too low for the stage and just jump back on. Even if this fails you can learn for next time. Like if he shields your kick, next time do the side b grab, if he just spaces so your side b attempt will miss, jump onto the stage to regain your air options and attempt to fight him off from the edge of the stage. Its a really horrible situation to be in, and what gives MK the advantage in the matchup (and in most of his, if not his own range)

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
what are some good diddy mind games? one that i know of is you hold a banana and they sheild expecting you to throw it. then you side b instead. thats not good enough to keep doing tho so i want more! im still really new to diddy

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hi guys, I'm slowly getting back into the game, has anything new happened to diddy in the past 2 years ? I think I lost track when the infinite was discovered and nobody used it.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Hi guys, I'm slowly getting back into the game, has anything new happened to diddy in the past 2 years ? I think I lost track when the infinite was discovered and nobody used it.
(Two-ish) People started using it and the meta became even more boring for it

Japan slaughtered everybody and now Olimar is the flavor of the month

That's about it, literally nothing discovered at all afaik

EDIT: They found out about BDACUS a long while ago if you somehow didn't hear about it, it's a fun party trick

TreK

Is "that guy"
Welp, that's kinda disappointing, but at least I won't have that much of a hard time getting back into it xD

Is the infinite really not worth it ?

And I know about the BDACUS, so I guess it hasn't been 2 years since I quit after all x)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think that we can punish Falco's phantasm by doing a reverse monky flip. Can anyone test this out? I would but I have no one to play with

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
I think that we can punish Falco's phantasm by doing a reverse monky flip. Can anyone test this out? I would but I have no one to play with
i actually think i got it with a regular monkey flip. like if you read it you can catch him mid phantasm. it only worked once but i only did it once. it was also a misclick but i think if this works the falco mu can go in our favor :3

tibs7

Smash Champion
yeah you can do this. hard to do it though. and not too much benefit :S

Player-1

Smash Legend
i've done it with the kick part a few times because it's easier to hit with. I think usmash is probably the best to do it with since it'll clank with side-b and they get trapped in RCO lag when they land so we can punish with just about anything

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
How will u know u've mastered diddy's moveset?

What's diddy's DI/momentum cancel ( if any )?

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
When you start placing at tournaments well. Otherwise, you can never really "master" this, just always improve it.

DI for all characters is the same... into the corner blast zone; except from attacks that hit downwards, in which case you DI into and tech the stage. Our FSmash can be SDI'd out of though.
Momentum cancel should be bair then forward b. I read once that you should not toss bananas to momentum cancel but I have not verified this. I am not sure about the effectiveness of our dair to cancel vertical momentum.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Sweeet thanks :) well tournaments hehe bummer :( I live far away from the action...... Ah so it's just 1 bair or multiple bairs then side b?

And if I post a vid of my diddy will I get critiqued? Because I posted 1 of my pikachu in the pika boards but no one helped :(

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Sweeet thanks :) well tournaments hehe bummer :( I live far away from the action...... Ah so it's just 1 bair or multiple bairs then side b?

And if I post a vid of my diddy will I get critiqued? Because I posted 1 of my pikachu in the pika boards but no one helped :(

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
There used to be a thread where you could get your Diddy critiqued but it's been moved to the Video area. I think this was a horrible administrative decision which kills the individual development of individual characters, but whatever. I haven't found the topic again, but search in this area: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184

To be honest it looks like now you can't actually get criticism unless you're known. I had to go way down to Zinoto's videos to see any input on anything.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
basically stop approaching. mk is a character that shouldnt really be approached much at all. and try not to get gimped

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Ahh thanks, it kinda helped :) peanuts, bamanas and staying away!!

Anyways unto my next question, how do u kill with diddy? Or set up for a kill?

Because last night while playing a friend of mines C.Falcon, and Falco.... I would rack up the damage but never kill.. He'd just slowly catch me and kill me.... >.>

And advice?

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Any banana toss into fair/ftilt/dsmash (fsmash could work too but they can SDI out of it if they are looking for it) Dont get impatient for the kill once they hit 140%+ (where youd generally be able to kill most chars) otherwise youll do desperate stuff and get punished for it and die. Dtilt>Fair/Uair can also work fairly well

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i got 2 more mus i have trouble with.. yoshi and lucario.. theres only one yoshi i play and thats raptor. i can beat him but i feel its luck when i do. like i dont deserve the win. and i just cant do lucario :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gimping is really fun with Diddy. Basically, if you hit with a D Air, you can expect them dying at mostly any precentage. Which is very, very cool. Also, F Air kills very good when it's not stale yet. F or D Smash when close to the edge is very good to, F Smash is still kinda dangerous though cause of Smash DI. At much higher %, you can also opt for U Air. Or with a very low ceiling (BF top platform), try U Tilt for surprise kills at high %s.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
F Tilt works for some pretty fun surprises. Monkey arms reach pretty far for a decent knock back and kills at them percentages.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Gracias!! Thanks :)
I pummeled like a freak, to freshen my moves and killed his a**....

Well when your cornered with no banana, what options do u have?
Because if I roLL I get a sweet dsmash or smt to the face.......

And for the monkey flip kick cancel ( I think that's what it's called ) is there a certain timing to it or u must hit attack as fast as possible after sideB?

And by the way does anyone have the Diddy Kong hitbubble pac file?

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Gracias!! Thanks :)
I pummeled like a freak, to freshen my moves and killed his a**....

Well when your cornered with no banana, what options do u have?
Because if I roLL I get a sweet dsmash or smt to the face.......

And for the monkey flip kick cancel ( I think that's what it's called ) is there a certain timing to it or u must hit attack as fast as possible after sideB?

And by the way does anyone have the Diddy Kong hitbubble pac file?

Uhhh depending on who your facing your options may be more effective but you have the same options as most other chars have I guess? Im not really sure what you mean by this first part. Shield grab something, dash grab if you think they will shield or side b them, Dtilt or Ftilt for poking, Fair/Bair if they try to jump at you.

Flip kick cancel has a certain timing, a 2 frame window on frames 11 and 12 is when you have to input A or B if you wanna get real specific about this. You can't buffer it since there is a window where you can input it too early and not get it for some reason, so don't feel too bad if your messing this up though it is possible to get this consistent without constant practice on it (though if you have time to dedicate to it, then more power to you)

TreK

Is "that guy"
Alright, finally back to a decent-ish level with diddy. But there are a few bad habits that I'd like to get rid of, and some outside input is welcome here.
-I have a lot of trouble at the start of matches and stocks. My opponent just won't let me get my bananas (how unconvenient, he's trying to win too, it seems) . Once they're in my control I can do my usual cool stuff, but getting them out is a lot harder than it sounds like. Any tips ?
-I tend to either underestimate their DI, overestimate my killmoves, or just stale my dsmash and fsmash for no reason. Is there a table with the unDIable KO % for each move and opponent I could just learn by heart so I could adjust in game ?
-Metaknight. Being the scrub that I am, I used to ditto him, but that strategy saw limited results compared to the amount of work it required from me (after 2 months of hardcore ditto-ing, I managed to get 1stocked as MK instead of getting 1 stocked as Diddy, yaaay). I decided that I'd go back to Diddy for the matchup, but I have no experience, which could come in handy considering we're talking about Meta-****ing-Knight.. If there's a video that pictures the matchup really well, I learn a whole lot more from videos than words so feel free to link me to it (eventually explain a little bit of the context if it's needed, in example if the players know each other)

Vega4

Smash Ace
Alright, finally back to a decent-ish level with diddy. But there are a few bad habits that I'd like to get rid of, and some outside input is welcome here.
1-I have a lot of trouble at the start of matches and stocks. My opponent just won't let me get my bananas (how unconvenient, he's trying to win too, it seems) . Once they're in my control I can do my usual cool stuff, but getting them out is a lot harder than it sounds like. Any tips ?
2-I tend to either underestimate their DI, overestimate my killmoves, or just stale my dsmash and fsmash for no reason. Is there a table with the unDIable KO % for each move and opponent I could just learn by heart so I could adjust in game ?
3-Metaknight. Being the scrub that I am, I used to ditto him, but that strategy saw limited results compared to the amount of work it required from me (after 2 months of hardcore ditto-ing, I managed to get 1stocked as MK instead of getting 1 stocked as Diddy, yaaay). I decided that I'd go back to Diddy for the matchup, but I have no experience, which could come in handy considering we're talking about Meta-****ing-Knight.. If there's a video that pictures the matchup really well, I learn a whole lot more from videos than words so feel free to link me to it (eventually explain a little bit of the context if it's needed, in example if the players know each other)
1- If you want to learn good ways to get bananas out, watch ADHD, Gnes, Player-1 or Zinoto videos. I usually like the ADHD style: Run to the ledge and jump out of the stage and get the two nanas out WHILE YOU ARE IN THE AIR (or just one if the opponent is chasing you pretty close). Remember that pro Diddys get bananas out (almost every time) in the air, because it use to be safer. Just remember to mix things and don't be predictable.
2- Don't stale your kill moves, just use them to kill. D-mash kills (guaranted) MK at 130-140% depending on the part of the stage. Don't use it at a lower percent or it will be probably DIable. F-smash kills a little bit earlier, but it can be SDIed out, so it is not guaranted to get a kill with it.
Heavier characted like Snake need like 160-170%+ depending on the part of the stage to get killed.
3- Watch ADHD or Gnes videos, you'll get a big view of how the match up should be played.

Top Bottom