• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
....... Anyone gonna offer feedback on my Diddy? .......
I figured someone else with more insight would do it, but i guess i'll just throw in my 2 cents.

The first thing i noticed was that you barely/didn't use any B-reversals. An example of when you could use those was early on when you retreated and where really slow with turning around(like 0:40 and 1:35).
Obviously just cancelling your dash with a shield is better, but doing that with a B-reverse popgun cancel could also help. Also for when you are above MK(or any character that tries to juggle you/punish your landing) you could use them to avoid hits or simply to keep them guessing.

You also seem to have some trouble with Z-catching naners that are just laying on a platform, so you might want to practice the spacing on that(you often got airdodges from it).

Another thing i saw is that you spotdodged a lot of which most wheren't on reaction to an attack, but more because you where afraid to be punished by something. It's better to just wait and react for the opponent or stay in your shield(since diddy's is amazing) instead of hoping you dodge with the spotdodge.

MU specific, you seems too willing to challenge MK offstage/in the air, which is the last place we want to be against him. That alone basicly cost you the set since you got gimped at -20% game 2 and SD'd at 50% game 3 for going offstage. Just try to stay on the main ground and you'll have a lot easier time fighting MK.

I loved the celebration peanuts after the kills game 1, really cracked me up.

Other topic, i'm in need for some critiques myself, since i've kinda been slacking on myself lately, here are some sets to go by for now:
vs Peach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Cr2VdEATE
vs Toon Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXYg3yvriZI
vs Wario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVnS-eRsEA

I know the TL match up very well and i only played game 1 with Diddy so that one is kind of unimportant, and i have a MM with Leon to be uploaded(though i forgot to save the best game :v). I hope this helped you Twigz and thanks in advance to others who will help me :)

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
Hey guys, if I were to pick up diddy, would dribbling and glide toss dribbling be absolutely necessary to learn?
yes. if you have any questions about diddy ask me. but the glide toss is probably the first thing you should know

its not hard at all either. it becomes second nature after a bit

i can teach you diddy when you start. till of course you get better than me with him :p then you come here haha. or both of course haha but i can play you so yeah

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
yes. if you have any questions about diddy ask me. but the glide toss is probably the first thing you should know

its not hard at all either. it becomes second nature after a bit
Thanks. Well i've got glide tossing down. I think i'll just get used to diddy before I get technical

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt/Fsmash/Ftilt/Usmash/Side B Kick. Fair on some chars, if your quick enough with it and really close you have enough time to shff dair/uair. Though generally youd just use Dsmash (killing) throw (gain space) or ftilt/fsmash (kill when dsmash is stale). And of course if you have another banana close enough to you you can go into double banana lock or possible the banana infinite.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This seems like a silly question, but I'd like to know what your best options are when your opponent is just standing there waiting for you to make an action. I generally just glidetoss a nana up or down infront of them to bait a move but sometimes I get punished if they're quick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheese619

Smash Ace
Hey Diddy Boards, I've got a question about the Buffered Infinite. I've been trying it out on MK in training mode and seem to mess up the pivot down throw a lot of the time because of bad positioning. What method do you guys use to drift when doing the infinite? Do you just hold forward or let go before catching with the airdodge or something similar? P-1 or Zinoto if you have any advice on the infinite I'd really appreciate it. =]

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think I usually input the buffer turnaround like right after I catch it with an air dodge. It's better to not be systematic about it though because when you infinite other characters where you actually have to time the infinite and that require better spacing you can adjust easier. For example, Falco, depending on where you hit him with the buffer dthrow, you might have to drift more or less to to the other side and you just have to be ready for whatever it gives you.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
When doing BDACUS, I've drilled it to do it in many circumstances, but I cannot seem to charge it. I have R mapped to Attack and I assumed it would be like charging a normal DACUS. Am i just bad, or missing something? Do you press and hold attack at the second up C stick input or is it at another window, or is there another button that's supposed to be used?

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
It works with attack being held, ive done so as having my L set to attack, probably just a timing issue

BSP

Smash Legend
What do Diddy players think about his infinites? Do you bother to learn them? Are they too situational? Too hard? I just want the reasons for why they aren't commonplace in tournament now. (or maybe they are and I just haven't been keeping up well enough)

cheese619

Smash Ace
What do Diddy players think about his infinites? Do you bother to learn them? Are they too situational? Too hard? I just want the reasons for why they aren't commonplace in tournament now. (or maybe they are and I just haven't been keeping up well enough)
Zinoto and Player-1 are the two American Diddy players that utilise them well in tournaments.
Zinoto landed 4 or 5 infinites during the course of this tournament and two of them were in Grand Finals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7BXAG9tYpE

I think most Diddy players don't care enough to work hard at them so they can land them consistently. I've recently started learning them and they are not too hard to perform if you practice regularly. Obviously there are different infinites for different characters (buffered, footstool, glidetoss infinite) and there are several setups for most of them. So it is a decent amount of work that you have to put in to be able to use them well.

As I'm a fairly new Diddy player I'm not at the level fundamentally where I should be incorporating them into my game so I generally don't go for them unless I have a free punish.

cheese619

Smash Ace
What's up Diddy Boards? I've got a question for Zinoto or anyone else who can answer it. I read a post from Zinoto somewhere saying that Wario can be drift infinited like Lucario. Can anyone actually do this consistently? I've learned most of the infinites now and infiniting Wario seems particularly difficult because it seems like he has a really small hurtbox and I can't land the pivot > dthrow consistently on the ground.
I don't know if it's just me or if it is actually really (impractically) hard.
I suppose if it is too impractical the alternative would be to single banana lock them to a spot on stage that would allow for the footstool infinite.

LOE1

Smash Lord
I use the infinite Player-1 just posted for Wario now as well. It's much easier.
...............well ****

Also, whats diddy's best approach in the ic mu? Not sure what his best options are to split em up.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Either forward glidetoss if it won't put you in range of getting grabbed or jumping above them with a banana in hand and throwing/z dropping it on top of them. I also like SH banana throw down and then fair but landing behind the banana

Sashimi

Smash Ace
If I'm doing BDACUS with this input: Control stick left/right > C-stick Up > C-stick Up

Do you push C-stick Up the second time before or after the end of the 10-frame buffer window?

I can't do it consistently because I don't know if I'm just supposed to hit C-stick Up twice as fast as possible, or with a certain timing.

cheese619

Smash Ace
The second input is before the the end of the 10 frame buffer window. So it's those three inputs within 10 frames. I do the first two inputs at the same time and then let the control stick snap back to neutral and do the second c-stick up input as quickly as I can.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Awesome, thanks!

I just read that Diddy's glide toss is only 7 frames x_x
Back to training mode for me.

cheese619

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about the frame data for his glidetoss but if that's accurate then that's a really big window because you only have to do the one input within 7 frames of the roll input.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I may have figured it out.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but the frame data thread says that a down throw is 6 frames until the banana is active, and a glide toss takes one extra frame. But that seemed too short to me. So I kept reading, and page 4 of the thread says that the total throwing animation is 18 frames, which makes more sense.

I was worried because I thought I'd have to do the 3 inputs of the BDACUS in 7 frames, but it seems like I'll still have 10 frames if I do it from a glide toss.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
So I learned to BDACUS out of Glide Tossing, and it's easier than I expected. I can do it consistently, so I'm wondering why people don't use GT > BDACUS more often.

Is it too difficult, or just not useful?

Player-1

Smash Legend
it's not that useful since you have better punishes most of the time. Up smash does produce a lot of damage, but only if all the hits connect and up smash isn't that hard to DI out of and then it's even easier if you're bdacusing since you just hold the opposite direction of where diddy is going.

Top Bottom