• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Diddy Board Q&A Thread

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
well
you can read the kongpendium
reading is boring but it's not that bad of a read and it is a great guide.
diddy has so many tech skills and stuff I can't explain that all in 1 post xD
but just go to trainings mode and practise for hours is what I did :$

ow and watch Mr.R on youtube... srs that guys tech skill is way to pro xD
alright thanks. well is there any AT's that are crucial to his game that need to be mastered first

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Glidetossing, z catching, z dropping instant tossing and maybe popgun cancelling are the most important, and none of those are too hard.

:phone:

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
Glidetossing, z catching, z dropping instant tossing and maybe popgun cancelling are the most important, and none of those are too hard.

thanks :) also i dont understand the importance of popgun canceling? can u explain that to me

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm not a good Diddy but you can use it to turn around in the air (which can help offstage) get a momentum boost, and as a nice mix up for glidetossing.

A more situational use is that when you have a nana you can use it to fsmash with the nana in hand.

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
I'm not a good Diddy but you can use it to turn around in the air (which can help offstage) get a momentum boost, and as a nice mix up for glidetossing.

A more situational use is that when you have a nana you can use it to fsmash with the nana in hand.

thanks. im not a great diddy either im one of the best diddys in AZ :p we have had only one diddy so far that has shown up in the tournaments which is me and im not a good diddy at all lawl XD

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I actually main Bowser but I'm considering picking up Diddy.

Not to burst your bubble but if there are much better players in your scene then they would probably have better Diddys than you. Lots of people who never use Bowser would probably have a better one than me too.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
popgun canceling is basicly canceling your popgun in the first couple of frames which eads to a lagles cancel in the air.
if you do it later you you cancel it with airdoge
on the ground you can celcel it into your shield which you can follow up with glidetosses,rolls,spotdoges or shield grab. the list goes on and on

you can also cancel your popgun with an Z drop if you use z to cancel in the air.

EDIT: you can aslo use it as B-Reversal and wavebounce.

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
I actually main Bowser but I'm considering picking up Diddy.

Not to burst your bubble but if there are much better players in your scene then they would probably have better Diddys than you. Lots of people who never use Bowser would probably have a better one than me too.

well yeah but ive been maining diddy for a while and no one in my scene plays diddy so im wokin my way up to be better with this freakin amazing monkey:coolmonke

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
thx goofy thats really helpful looks like i still have a lot of stuff i got to learn

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Try not to double post, panda; it's better to edit your previous post instead ;)

I think the most important thing about Popgun Canceling that hasn't been emphasized is that B-Reversing it (that is, changing your horizontal momentum) is an incredibly helpful tool for getting back to the ground if your opponent has knocked you into the air (a situation Diddy has a very difficult time with). It's very important to stay grounded, and Popgun Canceling helps you get back down much more unpredictably and, therefore, safely.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
not only that Ingulit but I find it rather fun to shorthop wavebounce(b-reversal)(wathever it's called)and then cancel it in a shield glidetoss. I swear amazing mindgame.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What's the trick to prevent Diddy from pivoting after a dribble? I seem to be able to dribble one way fine but pivot when I dribble the other way.

Also, I was fooling around trying to do AD pick up to dodge drop in the one AD. Just wanted to know how useful that is.

Finally, how do people incorporate z drop aerials into their gameplay? They seem incredibly situational.

Thanks in advance.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
just do a drible forward and then turn around and buffer the pick up. that's how I do it.

EDIT: Z drop arial is great. If you uproach with a banana oponents like tho think you will throw a banana so if you use the Zdrop arail you can catch them of guard. It's like a mindgame I'd say.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
If you mean you dribble backwards and end up turning around, your hitting back on the control stick too earlier. You gotta delay it ever so slightly.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't understand how I can hit back too early when you only need to hit it once and that's to initiate the roll.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I don't understand how I can hit back too early when you only need to hit it once and that's to initiate the roll.
He's probably thinking of a different technique. If you're turning around its because you're holding back too long when you do the glide toss.

vato_break

Smash Master
how do i play vs TL, Link, and pikachu? how are these matches generally played?

or if u could direct me to some videos that would be helpful.

i dont really know what to do agianst campy characters yet, like i can still win but only if i outplay them lol

Zinoto

Smash Lord
how do i play vs TL, Link, and pikachu? how are these matches generally played?

or if u could direct me to some videos that would be helpful.

i dont really know what to do agianst campy characters yet, like i can still win but only if i outplay them lol
Lol well to start, no losing to :link2: lol. He has the worst options against pressure, but his spot dodge is REALLY good. Just play like you're a good character and he's not and you shouldn't have any real problems. I played Legan about a month ago and he used a lot of mindgames, but in the end it's :link2:....

Against :toonlink:, you have to be ready to punish his landings in all sorts of akward situations. Staying far away from him is a no go because he camps the life out of us and being right next to him is almost impossible since he's so mobile. You have to stay midrange until you can get his landing then go in and stay on him. Powershield his arrows and watch all his landing mixups (like zair, i-bombing, airdodge, etc.). Once you get to like 110% (maybe less), watch out for his usmash. Good :toonlink: won't fish and instead will abuse the fact that you start to shield more to rack up more damage. Play cautious, but don't let him pressure you into situations where he'll get it. If he misses a grab it's a free infinite, so keep bananas around you as much as possible. :toonlink: is a character of mixups and will be looking for you to make a mistake when trying to punish his camping. When you get the trip/punish go in, otherwise don't rush it. Expect a pretty long match.
I learned the MU from playing online and MJG, but the last vid I saw of a godd example of the MU was like MJG vs Dekar from 2010 lol.

For :pikachu2: camping shouldn't be that big of a problem mainly because if you stay mid range, it's not safe...flat out. Powershield his thunderjolts and punish him with a banana if that's your problem. He can't dthrow chain us, but he can fthrow --> usmash at low percents. Our advantage in this match up is our range. Our aerials completely outrange :pikachu2:, so just space him out and punish his approaches. When recovering try to avoid low recoveries because it's not that hard for pikachu to do something stupid offstage for the gimp. If you get usmashed at a relatively high percent don't airdodge until you hear "PIKAA!!!", so that you avoid getting star ko'd. I've played Anther quite a few times and he likes to try and go for a lot of mixups and, when he gets an advantage, keep pressure on. Most :pikachu2: players I see hate this mu and pick up secondaries for it, but a good vid to watch is Gnes vs. Z from Apex.

Hope this helps....oh and good stuff at that AZ tourney. I saw the bracket, pretty stacked.

vato_break

Smash Master
i have a strong link in my region and he beat me in a friendly once, what do i abuse vs link? ._.. and TL i just generally have no clue how to fight. and same with pikachu LOL. remember i used to main metaknight, i didnt have to learn MUs lol. but yeah i see what ur saying, i always tried to challenge pikachus camping with aerials but running under him is pretty ****. and TL is annoying as hell to fight because i have to PS everything. and thanks i really wanted top 3 but, oh well :/

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Lol well to start, no losing to :link2: lol. He has the worst options against pressure, but his spot dodge is REALLY good. Just play like you're a good character and he's not and you shouldn't have any real problems. I played Legan about a month ago and he used a lot of mindgames, but in the end it's :link2:....

Against :toonlink:, you have to be ready to punish his landings in all sorts of akward situations. Staying far away from him is a no go because he camps the life out of us and being right next to him is almost impossible since he's so mobile. You have to stay midrange until you can get his landing then go in and stay on him. Powershield his arrows and watch all his landing mixups (like zair, i-bombing, airdodge, etc.). Once you get to like 110% (maybe less), watch out for his usmash. Good :toonlink: won't fish and instead will abuse the fact that you start to shield more to rack up more damage. Play cautious, but don't let him pressure you into situations where he'll get it. If he misses a grab it's a free infinite, so keep bananas around you as much as possible. :toonlink: is a character of mixups and will be looking for you to make a mistake when trying to punish his camping. When you get the trip/punish go in, otherwise don't rush it. Expect a pretty long match.
I learned the MU from playing online and MJG, but the last vid I saw of a godd example of the MU was like MJG vs Dekar from 2010 lol.

For :pikachu2: camping shouldn't be that big of a problem mainly because if you stay mid range, it's not safe...flat out. Powershield his thunderjolts and punish him with a banana if that's your problem. He can't dthrow chain us, but he can fthrow --> usmash at low percents. Our advantage in this match up is our range. Our aerials completely outrange :pikachu2:, so just space him out and punish his approaches. When recovering try to avoid low recoveries because it's not that hard for pikachu to do something stupid offstage for the gimp. If you get usmashed at a relatively high percent don't airdodge until you hear "PIKAA!!!", so that you avoid getting star ko'd. I've played Anther quite a few times and he likes to try and go for a lot of mixups and, when he gets an advantage, keep pressure on. Most :pikachu2: players I see hate this mu and pick up secondaries for it, but a good vid to watch is Gnes vs. Z from Apex.

Hope this helps....oh and good stuff at that AZ tourney. I saw the bracket, pretty stacked.
You got any video recording of that match with you vs Legan? I'm a Link main and i just want a visual of the match cause there are hardly no vids of good Links vs Diddys. Thanks in advance.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
He's probably thinking of a different technique. If you're turning around its because you're holding back too long when you do the glide toss.

No Im talkin abou the same technique. Im not exactly sure as to why you can do a roll even if you tap backwards first. Im guessing tapping back within a few frames before hitting shield buffers the roll either way? Try this with ZSS and you can tell the difference in a way. If you tap back before hitting shield , she will do her forward roll backwards (she does this turnaround slide animation) but if you hit shield first she does he back roll ( she does a backflip, this is the roll youd want to not get the turnaround from the dribble)

Zinoto

Smash Lord
i have a strong link in my region and he beat me in a friendly once, what do i abuse vs link? ._.. and TL i just generally have no clue how to fight. and same with pikachu LOL. remember i used to main metaknight, i didnt have to learn MUs lol. but yeah i see what ur saying, i always tried to challenge pikachus camping with aerials but running under him is pretty ****. and TL is annoying as hell to fight because i have to PS everything. and thanks i really wanted top 3 but, oh well :/
Link is all about mindgames, you can literally just stand still and wait for him to do anything and punish it. But to be specific, Link punishes when you overcommit, usually with an aerial. Just play safe, and if you really wanna win just camp at mid range. Play smart and don't get hit by all the silly stuff (like throwing the gale at the stage so it blows you away from it, dair when you try to uair him, cross up air dodge, up b, etc). Link has really unreliable kill set ups against diddy. Play safe and you shouldn't have a problem.

Lastly, gimp him. It's fairly easily. If you hit him away after his double jump he's dead (and this is really easy). Throw bananas and peanuts at him while offstage and then just fair him.

@Beat - It wasn't saved =(. I don't know any good vids of this MU on youtube.

BBQdPickles

Smash Cadet
Sry if this has already been asked, but when Diddys rocketbarrel comes off (from slipping on banana or being attacked), can the barrel be controlled? If so, how? I cannot manage to work it.

BBQdPickles

Smash Cadet
I swear, one time I forced my barrels off and they flew around for like 10 secs, in which it had slowed down and seemingly homed in on my opponent. Haha

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
it's still random :)
so you kinda need to have luck. But if your oponent is at 100%+ why not try it if you can do it safe.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Do the barrels decrease in power the longer they're out? Because I remember them hitting very late into the flight and the knockback was a lot less than I expected.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I think not but I am not sure about this.
It can be that he only gt hit by the explosion and not by the barrels themselve at the moment they did explode.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Possibly knowing that he was going to be hit by a barrel, he could've (Smash)DI'd the knockback.

Also I doubt it decreases in power, I had barrels fly off screen for a while then come back killing my opponent around said 100%+.

It's pretty ballsy to do, but I do it on the edges when the opponent has a tendency to use get-up attacks or short-hop aerial from hanging on the edge even though perfect shielding is more safer.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I wouldn't think Barrels lose power the longer they're out, though I can't say I've ever tested it. Still, I'm going to go on ahead and say they don't lose power.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Yo diddys,

I know that during throw animation, people are immune to trip animation. I want to know if any diddys understand why.

This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80Vhuw7pxE

Watch my grab at 0:12, clearly the trip sound can be heard and the banana at Rob's feet flies up, but I finish my throw uninterrupted. Anybody know any info on this?

Zinoto

Smash Lord
If you buffer a throw while going over a banana, you will be prevented from tripping. The important thing is that you have to buffer the throw. It's mostly used by :popo: players.

sadpanda811

Smash Cadet
i main diddy kong and when im in my matches the problems i have is that my opponent always shields my banana throw and then gets them in their hands and then i lost the stage control what should i do to stop that from happening?

Top Bottom