• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Crystal Caves - The Yoshi Social Thread

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
@ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo Nah. I'll probably get it after 3.5, but I'm a freak of nature that can't stand so much as 1 frame of lag XD. If you go to Paragon 2015, dittos will be inevitable.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
I'm probably the Yoshi main who moonwalks the most. It's great for mixups and creating a false sense of security for your opponent. Say you're in neutral in a dash dance. A lot of times I'll dash away, moonwalk back toward my opponent and djc nair. A LOT of players (in my opinion way too many) are surprised and confused when I throw out a djc turnaround nair. They don't realize that Yoshi can turn in his double jump. All in all, Yoshi's moonwalk is actually one of the better moonwalks in the game. This is coming from someone who will moonwalk with Jiggs in between stocks.
Well, the thing is, Yoshi is very unconventional character, so character match-ups can be irrelevant if the opponent doesn't know how to fight him. He relies so much on tricky movement. How moonwalking works for you is how perfect wavelands are for me. They almost NEVER see it coming. It's so much fun to just shoot off the platforms with so much momentum.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
@ TomBoComBo TomBoComBo Nah, but I might get it when 3.5 is out. Sadly, I'm a freak of nature that can't stand so much as 1 frame of lag XD. You said you were going to Paragon 2015, right? We can settle things there, dude.

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
However, I don't think anyone here is a fully realized PM Yoshi tech master. That'll have to wait, but that's only when a player applies all the tricks and techniques the character demands from you.
I believe that's what everyone in this thread aspires to be; the next aMSa of PM to show the true potential of this character. His skill cap can be overwhelming at times, but when all the tools come into play and you're on point he's a monster. You have to put as much work into him as a Fox, probably even more to be a really technical Yoshi. I believe the payoff is worth it though.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I've already expressed my stance on egg roll around here. I don't pull down anyone that wishes to use it as it's their choice, but we have our reasons for playing the way we play.

I'm more tuned to melee because I'm relearning melee yoshi. There's many more problems with my game that I need to focus that's affecting my overall mentality and gameplay in sets. I don't care what happens in the update(s) so long as I can finally get rid of my problems that's plagued me from being a high level player for so long.

I believe that's what everyone in this thread aspires to be; the next aMSa of PM to show the true potential of this character. His skill cap can be overwhelming at times, but when all the tools come into play and you're on point he's a monster. You have to put as much work into him as a Fox, probably even more to be a really technical Yoshi. I believe the payoff is worth it though.
Naw homie. I aspire to be myself. The one that will finally make it to top level with the tools/characters I love. I look up to Fumi (old timer Yoshi players know about him), AmSa, and Vectorman because they put in the work and their efforts show through the reaction times and technical skill to execute Yoshi at such a high level.

Last edited:

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
I've already expressed my stance on egg roll around here. I don't pull down anyone that wishes to use it as it's their choice, but we have our reasons for playing the way we play.

I'm more tuned to melee because I'm relearning melee yoshi. There's many more problems with my game that I need to focus that's affecting my overall mentality and gameplay in sets. I don't care what happens in the update(s) so long as I can finally get rid of my problems that's plagued me from being a high level player for so long.
Those problems being parries and other melee Yoshi stuff I'm assuming. In my personal opinion it can be dangerous playing the same character with different iterations of smash, especially with melee and PM. The physics and speed of both games are so similar you could possibly do a move in PM that doesn't work the same in melee just out of habit. So even though refraining from using eggroll would help you transfer games easier, there are also other moves you have to consider as well that don't work the same.

Last edited:

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Those problems being parries and other melee Yoshi stuff I'm assuming. In my personal opinion it can be dangerous playing the same character with different iterations of smash, especially with melee and PM. The physics and speed of both games are so similar you could possibly do a move in PM that doesn't work the same in melee just out of habit. So even though refraining from using eggroll would help you transfer games easier, there are also other moves you have to consider as well that don't work the same.
That's not an issue if you take like 20 minutes to warm up before a match, get reoriented into the other game's physics. I can switch from Yoshi in PM and Smash 4 with ease because both characters feel like their own.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Thing is, PM allows more freedom with specific moves than Melee, which is why my recent training has been melee. Certain characters I know I won't be able to switch because of w/e changes in the mechanics, but once I learn the restrictions in Melee, it's not a hard transition at all so long as I warm up correctly. I already know almost every difference needed for my two characters (Yoshi & Falco) to play the efficiently in both games. Certain specific stuff like Parry in PM is broken (we all know this), but the small differences can be interchangeable once you get used to them separately and have proper time to switch.

Most of my play has been Yoshi through all the iterations, and my concepts have built on each move he's gotten and had tweaked. I don't like the concept of PM's egg roll. The same could be said for chaingrabbing (which I don't particularly like), but I do more complaining on the outside when I still put effort to either use it or get around it. Basically, I try to limit my use of something I know that can give me the edge to understand the many problems I have in my game (currently. Not completely the case in tournament). I have a lot of issues with nerves, cracking when behind in stock, and unselfconsciously needing to reset myself after making tech mistakes (a melee player pointed that out recently). This kind of stuff doesn't get fixed by adding in those moves, but after toning down and refining, I can just come right back and add those moves in to become WAY more effective than I've ever been.

Last edited:

NinKenDo64

Smash Apprentice
That's not an issue if you take like 20 minutes to warm up before a match, get reoriented into the other game's physics. I can switch from Yoshi in PM and Smash 4 with ease because both characters feel like their own.
True. That transition is easier. I suppose it's more prominent from a PM vs Melee standpoint. For example, to shorthop with Fox you have to press and release the jump button within a 3 frame window in melee, while in PM it's 4. That makes a bigger difference than you might think because of the adjustment of muscle memory with such a fast pace game. Plus in a tournament setting you won't get a 20 min warm up between games once it starts very often. Sometimes it's the big obvious moves and other times it's the small differences. Don't underestimate force of habit. One mistake in a match can lead to a loss in a set.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I don't play Sm4sh Yoshi because I don't like switching the feels. I don't play melee Yoshi because I find my mind games severely lacking (having like 1/3 of the options that PM Yoshi provides). I'd say movement in PM has spoiled me to the point were I can barely play melee, but that's because I want to be seen as the aMSa of PM. I want people to think TomBoComBo when PM Yoshi is mentioned

didds

Smash Lord
with a day left before 3.5 I realize this might be a bad time, but....

rudolf yoshi.jpg

Why isn't this a costume?

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
How much better will(tentative) Yoshi be with Parrying?
We don't know if it will or even can be fixed. In melee, if the hitbox of a move collided with anything, the hitbox woud actually deactivate, leaving Yoshi, who suffers from no shield stun, to be able to capitalize. PM and brawl dont have that mechanic, the moves have multi hitbox properties and will not deactivate after contact. I think if they went in and purposefully gave Yoshi invince frames after a correct Parry, that would essentially fix it. If it's no different from 3.02, fear not, there is still grab-parrying and I've figured out a way to parry regularly (much less rewarding than melee, but better than having your shield disappear) If you end up parrying anything that has a lasting hitbox, you will only parry one frame of it, then your shield will be poked and you'll get hit. Thankfully, the first hit allows you to see the lag of the hit, you can buffer a sidestep and avoid the poke. Your opponent will likely miss the L cancel and you get the punish you deserve.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Even if parry was somehow fixed, It would take us ages to master the timing. I still can't react to my own grab parries, but then again, being stuck in shield is not something I'd favor.

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Soooo eggroll has a longer "breaking out" animation, and a grounded down air now sends opponents sideways...

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Soooo eggroll has a longer "breaking out" animation, and a grounded down air now sends opponents sideways...
I can live without the eggroll, but downair sending people sideways makes me really sad. I haven't played or seen that in action yet so I don't know exactly how it works, but I had been working on some pillar type combos with rising Uair and dair before and rip :(

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I'll do some heavy work on it tonight and let you guys know what's changed and what's not. @ Mumbo Mumbo If you'd help me on that if youre free, that would be awesome.

Lastly, Won a local last night http://challonge.com/spicypm1114
unfortunately there was no stream so no footage to show you guys :(

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the down air nerf was really unnecessary. You can't combo out of it save for poor DI. Really terrible choice by the PMDT.

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
-Down Special (Yoshi Bomb)
--Body height is slightly lower on descent
--Initial ground collision moved inward
--Ground Bomb now deals 16 Damage, 52 BKB, 100 KBG
--Air Bomb hitbox now deals 16 Damage, 46 BKB, 96 KBG
--Can now grab ledges behind him during descent
--Now enters special fall after 112 frames of falling
Does anyone know the old stats (BKB, KBG etc) of down B. I haven't been able to tell if it is an improvement or not.

I also seem to have come across something interesting when using this to grab the ledge from below. I have no idea what caused it, but I have been able to grab the ledge instantly without the startup animation, nowhere near the peak of my jump. Although you still had to go high enough to be vulnerable to an easy edgeguard, you could use this to avoid getting hit out of the unarmoured startup animation and grab ledge.

-Double Jump
--Turns around on frame 6 of Double Jump to allow execution of reverse double jump aerials
--Will now Double Jump Cancel if jump is not held on the first 7 frames of any aerial attack
Is this actually changed? This seems like how it already worked in 3.0.2

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't seem like Yoshi's egg parry was fixed yet?
Yoshi's parry isn't "broken" per say, it is just an unintended consequence of a brawl engine quirk that is different from melee, similar to how PMDT doesn't yet know how to make tethers hit walls instead of snapping to the ledge. In the case of parry, in melee, if you are hit with a lingering hitbox while invulnerable, you deactivate the hitbox, and will not be hit when you lose your invulnerability. In the brawl engine, however, invulnerability does not deactivate the hitbox, and if you are hit within the first 6 frames of shielding and the hitbox stays out long enough, you will take the hit on the 7th frame before going into your shield.

I'll do some heavy work on it tonight and let you guys know what's changed and what's not. @ Mumbo Mumbo If you'd help me on that if youre free, that would be awesome.

Lastly, Won a local last night http://challonge.com/spicypm1114
unfortunately there was no stream so no footage to show you guys :(
You lost your winner's round 1? talk to be when you get better kid
sure I'll help you out later tonight

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
@ Mumbo Mumbo it was loss because my tournament mentality hadn't kicked in yet. The guy is someone I struggle with sometimes because he plays a super patient punish reaction game so I can't go in guns blazing. Plus Mario 3.02 always comes back and has fantastic tools for that kind of play. Got my revenge in losers after my mindset came into effect

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
You can eggroll repeatedly into a wall to stall. It worked on yoshis story and WW during some of my netplay matches. I'll do more testing with it but I can't at the moment. This wasn't in 3.0 was it?

EDIT: I tested it more. It did not work in 3.0. It works on any wall. To perform this, eggroll into the wall and automatically break out. You will fall dramatically more the first time than you will after subsequent eggrolls. When you regain control of Yoshi, eggroll into the wall again and repeat. The earliest you can repeat an eggroll is the 40th frame after the previous eggroll. If you are frame perfect, you will overall lose height, but only very little each time. If you have decent timing or are a fast masher, you can get 8-10 in before you die off the bottom blastzone on WW, perhaps more on stages like GHZ or Yoshis Island. A fun quirk of this is that if you play special brawl and set the gravity to light, you can actually climb up walls fairly easily.

Last edited:

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
I should mention that the changes to how the jump buttons works means it's way easier to double jump land out of shield into a down smash or anything else now without tap jump on.

Last edited:

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Yeah, now that you mention it, I've been getting DJL's a lot more consistently. It's amazing! People still don't see D-smash OoS coming.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yeah, now that you mention it, I've been getting DJL's a lot more consistently. It's amazing! People still don't see D-smash OoS coming.
Movement seems much crisper than in 3.02. Someone said that if you don't hold Jump in the first 7 frames with an aerial, it'll DJC.

Top Bottom