• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ChunSoft Thread: Zero Escape Series & Banshee's Last Cry

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You know, I think you're right. I remember that coming up in one of the bad ends. It's never hit otherwise.

Completely slipped my mind.

Edit: You are indeed correct, just looked it up. It is
her daughter, Nona. Ennea would have been in building Q. I remember seeing Nona mentioned in the True End when they're running up the spiral staircase after the incinerator.

Edit 2:
"Should the Sub ending not be achieved before the true ending, the player is left to speculate about Lotus' participation in the second game. The images of Nona can reveal that, though."

And there it is.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Started playing VLR about 2 days ago. Not saving during puzzle rooms is annoying (stupid bugs). I started with the first decision they gave me so I'm working on the left side of the flowchart. That is until I hit a dead end
where it says "TO BE CONTINUED". I assume it's something similar to when 999's true end had you remember the whole left-right sequence for the bracelet to find Snake in that coffin
. I haven't read any spoilers in this thread regarding VLR, and I intend to keep it that way.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So I finished VLR last night and my mind is still pretty blown. Couldn't sleep with so many thoughts in my head. It does not disappoint me. My favorite ending is
Luna's ending. Even though she seemed too nice, I can see her being easily suspected. But I took it with a grain of salt, and then when I got her ending, it was pretty sad to me; reminds me of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

And now for some of my thoughts.
1) After going through all the routes I could with the magenta and yellow doors, when the old lady/Akane was missing in the blue door route, I knew she had something to do with Zero. I was actually more surprised that it turned out to be Akane and that she ran another Nonary Game. What I find saddest about her is Tenmyouji/Junpei's comment. "But the Akane Kurashiki I know isn't here. She's not anywhere..." I feel bad for Junpei. He's been searching for her ever since the end of 999 and when he finally does, she is no longer the person he remembers, the one he is looking for. Also, anyone else notice the cloak she wore on April 13, 2029? It had the symbols that I believe were also on the banner of Free the Soul.

2)The whole jumping between 45 years is a pretty big step from 999's 10 years. For me, it's... not really giving me the vibe I was hoping for. What I mean is what happens to Clover and Alice, as explained in the Another Time branch. Even though there is a way for them to get back to their original time, I'm looking at the entire world as a whole. We never (at least I haven't) seen what happens at the Mars Mission test site, we never see Sigma and Phi prevent Radical-6 escaping and save the world. We know the world is ruined, but we never see the bright future that would branch from point E. I kinda wish I could see it.

3) One of my favorite parts about Another Time is the last bit after Phi's explanation of... herself and Akane's part. Akane's explanation was one of the most mind blowing things. Sure other games have done something similar, but this one just feels different. What I really like about it is when Akane says "You are an... uncontrolled variable that entered out closed system. As such, the rules of this world do not apply to you." What I got out of this is that we (the player) are obviously not restricted to the laws set in the games' settings. I say games' settings because we have not only seen VLR through Sigma's eyes, we have also seen 999 through Junpei's eyes. Not only that, but we are able to have both of them interact in the ways that bring about each and every story presented. I may be wrong here, but it's what I got out of Another Time. We are no longer Sigma and we are not Kyle. We are us. And to be honest, I feel tempted to call us Zero since we are restricted by 0 laws within the games, according to Akane.

And that's what I wanted to say about this game for now.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I just got my first two.

First was K's betrayal ending. (Ally Luna, went with K through Blue, Ally K, Game Over)

Second was the locked ending that splits from that where you betray K, Dio dies, and Tenmyouji and Clover disappear.

Very much enjoying the game thus far.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I actually don't remember the 2nd thing. There are uh...2 endings most people recommend doing first in terms of understanding the story the best and I thoroughly enjoyed things going that way, but I'm respectively not going to say anything else on them or what ones they are unless outright asked (and even then it'll be in spoiler tags, lol).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't want to know anything about it. :p

Taking things entirely based on my own choices.

Also, I can happily say I haven't had to use any help on any of the puzzles, and got the gold file on all of the puzzles I've solved so far.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't want to know anything about it. :p

Taking things entirely based on my own choices.

Also, I can happily say I haven't had to use any help on any of the puzzles, and got the gold file on all of the puzzles I've solved so far.

Oh snap, nice. I admittedly needed to use a FAQ to help with a bunch of rooms. And I totally respect that. I mean, what's the point of having all those endings and routes if we all viewed them in the same order?

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I just started from the left side of the chart and made my way right. I used Easy mode for about half the rooms because I was genuinely confused as to what they wanted me to do. That and because it was late and I was rushing myself, but there's that damn saving bug so I couldn't just stop in the middle. Either way, it was a good 40 hours, 49 minutes, and 1 second well spent for me.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Finally getting around to playing this game, and it's awesome so far. I'm scared that I'll run into the save glitch, so I'm only saving in the novel portions. The puzzles are pretty awesome so far too, just challenging enough, but not super difficult or really odd like some of 999's. It's also pretty.

So many VAs that I'm recognizing, haha.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Finally getting around to playing this game, and it's awesome so far. I'm scared that I'll run into the save glitch, so I'm only saving in the novel portions. The puzzles are pretty awesome so far too, just challenging enough, but not super difficult or really odd like some of 999's. It's also pretty.

So many VAs that I'm recognizing, haha.

Yeah, you probably would recognize a bunch. Pretty much most of the cast is like some big Persona 4/Persona 4 Arena reunion of sorts, lol. Even Sigma's VA in the OA.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yet again, I was totally right to nag you, eh Katie? :p

We shall have much to discuss on the 5th, I shall have finished it by then.

:phone:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, yes indeed. Though it was pretty hard to tear myself away from FTL. And I have to start practicing FGs again, aaah.

Welp, back to it to VLR for now. :3

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I've been on a steady pace of a few endings per day, up to 5 of the named ends.

Spacing em around work and Smash time chambers for Apex prep.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've been on a steady pace of a few endings per day, up to 5 of the named ends.

Spacing em around work and Smash time chambers for Apex prep.

Ah yeah, that works. I forgot about Apex, actually. Though...not sure why since Screwattack was hyping it a bunch and is having some people go to it, lol.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Sooo, my game just crashed during the PEC sequence. My save data is still there, thankfully, but because it is one of the known buggy places, I wasn't saving at all.

Just lost an hour's worth of progress. :I

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Good thing you still have everything, shouldn't take too long to run through the room again.

I should pick this game up again, with everyone playing through it right now it would be cool if I could finish it around the same time.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
No, I already have it and I have already reached many to be continues/dead ends as well as Clover's ending, but I took a break and started playing so many other games.

I guess I worded that sentence poorly. :/

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
UUUUUUUUGH I FROZE IN THE ARCHIVES.

Right after completing the annoying *** dice puzzle for both passwords, too. Fffffff.

Welp, there goes 3 hours of lazily off-and-on poking through dialogue. Not in the mood to mash back through that right now.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm playing on hard exclusively, and I've only had a bit of trouble with maybe two puzzles?

In the pantry,
getting the correct lockers to finish the food puzzle
and in the PEC room,
unlocking the door from the inside, I just couldn't see the solution for ages, haha

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Don't you mean (answer-free)
the correct boxers
;) ? And that PEC one was so annoying for me. When I said I used Easy mode for half the rooms, this was one of them and only to be like "What kind of hint is that?" so I started just tapping around and it happened. Funny because (999 spoilers)
it's the same as the laboratory (but I guess it's different since it's you who is stuck and not Clover this time)

Hax

Smash Champion
i got 999 like a month ago and "beat" it in a couple days only to find out that there are 6 ****ing endings. this completely ruined the game for me. i'm not trying to replay levels in a VISUAL NOVEL to get the real ending. =/ ended up looking it up on wikipedia

someone please tell me Virtue's Last Reward doesn't work the same way? seriously this series could have been better than Phoenix Wright for me had there just been 1 story/1 ending.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, you can skip text that you've already read in 999, same with VLR. And the endings in 999 are worth it, in my opinion. Most VNs have multiple endings anyway, so maybe they're not for you? Ace Attorney is more of a point-and-click game anyway.

VLR has 24 endings, I believe. But there's a story flowchart that makes it easy to go back to certain points in the game, rather than starting it over each time.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Sounds like this is your first VN. You kinda ruined it for yourself there.

Don't worry about replaying the rooms, you go through the rooms once each for the true endings, and VLR makes that easier since you keep the passwords to escape. The only time you'd be playing through the rooms again in 999 is getting the other endings, and even then it's not like you'll be playing the same room more than 3 times (except the first room). The only bad thing I can see is when there's new text to read. But the games' plots are interesting enough to not skip any.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
zero escape solved 999's problem with the flowchart jumpy thing

i finished it but felt that i hadn't finished it since, well, they left the door wide open for a sequel

i guess it was quite enjoyable though

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well to be fair, that bit didn't surprise me in the slightest really. I kinda thought things on stuff was confirmed before the game came out.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
SO THIS IS JUST AN IN-PROGRESS MIND-BLOWING. DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T CLEARED LOCK 6.

****ING JUST GOT TO THE PART WHERE SIGMA REALIZES HIS HAND IS CUT. HOLY ****. I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. I literally gasped and almost started hyperventilating. Holy****ing ****balls my mind is blown oh my god man I've already seen the K end so I don't know why I never put two and two together. HOLY ****.

WHAT.

WHAT?!!?!

I haven't even confirmed it yet, I just felt the need to put this into words, holy goddamn poop flinging monkeys cosplaying as Batman, jesus christ on a cracker MY MIND IS BLOWN BEYOND BELIEF.
BACK TO PLAYING NOW.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Massive Non-True End spoilers (The entire rest of the game) within.
The suspicions I acquired during Tenmyouji's ending were, I'm almost certain, correct. In that the Old Woman was Akane, which makes Tenmyouji Junpei..... somehow? I don't yet have all the answers.

I just finished Luna's ending. All I have left is Phi's, the True Ending.

Not at all ashamed to admit that I shed some tears. Luna was and still is my absolute favorite character, and goddamnit, that was absolutely heart-wrenching. I can't remember the last time I've cried like this over a game. Even finding out her true nature, I didn't see it coming at all. And it didn't change a damn thing about how much her character meant to me. I've been brilliantly blindsided by so much of this game at every turn, and I am loving every second of it.

And yet I'm about to do something a lot of you may think I'm crazy for. I'm not playing the True Ending tonight. I'm not going to repeat the mistake I made playing through 999's True Ending. I did so very very late at night (like now), and didn't absorb nearly as much of the emotional impact and information as I did the second time around, because I was too damn tired.

So I'm going to bed. I'm going to sleep with everything that I've seen. All 8 of the main endings, on the doorstep of the truth. I am going to ruminate on it for quite some time, I'm sure. And then tomorrow, when I'm done with my haircut, I'm going to come home and finish the game.

And it's going to be the best story I've ever experienced.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I can agree with the last bit you said, but I have to admit, that
while it seems EVERYBODY gets emotional and cries about the Luna thing...I actually wasn't bothered too much by it and that's not the spot that got to me. Not gonna spoil what it was that did, when it was, or what route it was in though.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I guess that means a lot of people liked that ending because of the emotions (I didn't cry, but it got me and I liked it). Though I think an equally sad part of the game is (True end spoilers)
the Another Time section when Tenmyouji/Junpei says that that's no longer Akane. Ifeel bad for him. (I've already said it, but it's for those who haven't read it)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah, i felt terrible since
junpei basically threw his life away to search for akane for forty-odd years, and she almost completely ignored him and went off the play house with some dude from the future and his clone

i mean, i get that
saving the world is important and stuff, but i thought junpei and akane were cute together :(

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hands down best game I've ever played.

Time to go back and read the spoilers here in the thread, now that I'm done.

Top Bottom