• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ChunSoft Thread: Zero Escape Series & Banshee's Last Cry

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hands down best game I've ever played.

Time to go back and read the spoilers here in the thread, now that I'm done.

Well, now I can at least tell ya the part that got me (in spoiler tags of course).

What actually got my heartstrings going was when Tenmy/Junpei saw the Akane hologram first and just collapsed. And even though the game didn't spend as much time on it as I'd wanted, when K revealed that it was actually Akane in the armour to everyone and to Tenmyouji, I actually kind of lost it just trying to picture how someone in Tenmy's position would possibly feel. That being said though, I personally didn't like his whole "biker analogy" thing and all the stuff he said about it. Not only because it's wrong and the game kinda showed it as such, but that Tenmyouji of all people should know WHY it's wrong.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Glad you enjoyed VLR Raziek! I love reading people's reactions as they're playing through the game.

Looking back I still think my biggest WTF moment was
when Tenmy pulled out that picture of young Akane. My mind was fried after that cause I couldn't figure out how Junpei was so old and Clover was still so young. I spent the rest of the night thinking of various scenarios over how this could be possible (of course none of them were remotely close but oh well).

Ahhh good times... I really can't wait for the 3rd game. VLR was just the set up for it so we all know it's gonna be epic.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I still kinda feel stupid for
not realizing that Sigma was (or rather, will be) Zero. There were some hints that I could have picked up, but just didn't realize why such things happened.

1) Whenever you reached a room to get out of, the "Seek a way out" animation does not show Sigma's eyes like 999 shows Junpei's.

2) Unlike it 999, when you reached the mirror in the infirmary Sigma doesn't get a good look of himself.

3) In the small animated cutscenes and the AB game results, Sigma's face is nowhere to be seen (I was thinking they did the usual VN thing where you don't show the main character's face, but I was forgetting that it was already shown in the beginning of the game AND boxart). Heck, you don't even see his face when he points out Dio for planting the bombs.

What I find funny the most though is how Sigma doesn't realize his eye got replaced.

I noticed that the Director room music has a small sample of the Nonary Game track from 999.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Everyone is finishing up...

Guess it's time to start playing again.

I still have some more things to do in the Magenta door before I go after more endings.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Kaaaatiiiiiiiee, you need to get at me on Facebook so we can gush about it. :D
Haha, okay, I will. :3

No complaints... No thoughts... No reviews?

I am disappoint. ;.;
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, I'm still pondering.

I think there were some pretty good twists at the end there
(LOL MOON)
, and the story was particularly well-executed
especially the time travel aspects
. However, I think the ending dragged on a bit longer than I would have liked, and the awesomeness of the conclusion felt a bit watered down by the time I had finished. The last scene was particularly great though
when Sigma goes back in time to save the world

I do think it's a great game, and I especially liked the puzzles a lot. It's a pretty minor complaint overall, I think I would have liked if the last part of the game wrapped up a little tighter though
, not even in terms of cliffhangers or anything, just a little less drawn out, a little more oomph.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I agree for the most part about the ending dragging on, but when you realize the writers are just setting everything up for the final Zero Escape game then it sorta makes sense.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It did seem a bit long in parts, but fortunately for me I felt that it was really well done and written to where I didn't care. Well, aside from one or two nitpicky things I have that felt contradictory or kinda odd from the game, that is.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I just got Dio's ending. :3

I'm a little disappointed that antagonistic guy had a major role in what was going on, but whatever, I'm sure there will plenty of surprises to make up for that later. The secret reports kind of spoiled the "Free the Soul" thing too. :/

I will have to play more tomorrow.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm not going to spoiler tag this because I don't think it's necessary, but I kinda felt that saving reading spoiler reports from a room until a room or 2 later wound up saving me from being spoiled on things. No idea if anybody else wound up going that way though.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah, i read the secret reports before i even got out of the escape rooms (with the exception of the infirmary, it took me so bloody long to get that gold report), and it spoiled a bit of stuff for me

i still havent gotten over how they trolled everyone with
the all-ice nonsense in 999

back to p4g, bloody risette accomplishment is absolutely stupid gafargar***a

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I read the reports after finishing a room, since there's that bug and since I'm practically done with the room I might as well escape and then save to save myself misery. Though I did forget about the reports once because I wanted to know what happened next so soon.

Since a lot of people are starting to finish up, I wanna know what everyone thinks about
Another Time

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you mean the whole thing with
"Not Kyle" going around and talking to everybody and all that, right? If so, I enjoyed it except for the Tenmyouji stuff because I'm pretty sure his analogy is wrong and that he of all people should know why it's wrong.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, what I mean is
999 itself and the whole way that it went down with all the branches and changes and stuff and everything Junpei had to do and all that is completely the opposite of the scenario he described.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Done!

So, I had only one thing spoiled to me before going into this game, that Junpei's last name is Tenmyouji. While Junpei actually being in the game was certainly not my first though it did kind of lessen the impact of the reveal, oh well.

I really enjoyed it. For now, story wise, I would say 999 is better, if only because it actually has something of a conclusion. This game ends on a massive sequel hook and I don't really want judge it yet, I am excited to see what happens next though.

Gameplay was such an amazing step up, it will be hard to play through 999 again after playing VLR. The flowchart was such a great idea and the puzzles were more enjoyable overall imo.

Edit:
Just found out about Another Time, must have missed that when I looked over the flowchart, guess I'll go do that now. :p

Okay, now I'm done.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I wanna play through 999/VLR again but I'm probably going to wait until before ZE3 is around the corner.

That way both games will feel fresh again and I can build hype for the final game. ^.^

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Well, what I mean is
999 itself and the whole way that it went down with all the branches and changes and stuff and everything Junpei had to do and all that is completely the opposite of the scenario he described.
I'm still not quite getting what is the opposite of what happens in the games. It makes sense to me.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Fair enough, Raz. I appreciate it. Granted, it's nice that JLTG and I can both take different things away from it without feeling like we don't understand it, which is good.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Just finished VLR completely (Another Time and everything).

So I have three major/minor gripes about an otherwise fantastic game:

1. The fact that half/most of the time you can't skip transition sections where you travel through the base is very annoying and tedious. If they do it once, you should have the option to skip it.

2. Some of the options you choose makes it so you can never see certain cutscenes. For example,
If you see Phi's GAME OVER ending, you can never see the alternative of what happened if you chose Ally first to see Phi's END
. As a person who likes knowing the possible scenarios, this slightly disturbed.

The ending is very, very unsettling. Why can't they just have made it like 999 where the ending was satisfying and impactful to the viewer? It made the game feel finished. VLR's ending makes the story feel unfinished, and video games certainly aren't the type to end in cliff hangers that would otherwise reveal crucial parts of the story.

Other than that, I loved the game. Now all I need is a TWEWY sequel and I'll marry my 3DS.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I can understand your 3rd gripe, but I think they were trying to keep our minds open to the ending. Other than that, maybe they're setting up for a sequel.

As for you second gripe, I think it was done that way to build on the story the way they want. Remember, they said that the future affects the past, so I think that was their way of doing that.

Also, we still need someone to clear up what was going on in Another Time with Tenmyouji's explanation.

:phone:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'd mention the Tenmyouji thing that you referenced, but then I'd wind up going into an angry rant on how contradictory it is for him, and how flat out wrong it is.

And as for the game having a sequel, I think it was announced that there would be a 3rd game before the 2nd one was even released.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
You're correct.

Virtue's Last Reward was made with the intention of being a "build up" for the 3rd, final game. The reason 999 had so much closure was because the writers didn't anticipate a sequel during its development.

So instead of being disappointed about the lack of closure I'm just hyped for the 3rd game! :)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'd rather have two amazing games that leaves a lasting impact than one game that leaves a weird aftertaste that directly leads to another. If that makes any sense lol. The point is, I'd rather the developers finish the whole story in VLR and make a new Zero Escape game with a new protagonist. The game feels much more fresh that way.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Actually, I think VLR wrapped itself up nicely overall.

VLR was about the third Nonary game and at the end we understood its purpose, who was behind it, and all of the character's history and motivations(
except Phi, who will play a big role in the next game anyway.
)

The game certainly left plenty of things open for the sequel, but that's not a bad thing, at the very least if movies can get away with it then why not a game?

Top Bottom