• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Charizard Metagame Discussion Topic

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What a coincidence, I have already had R set to jump for a couple years when I played Peach in Brawl and it had been left unused. Now it's time to change that and abuse it until it gets "fixed".

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I just use L as jump now since I never use my left index finger for anything anyway.

This just made Rock Smash 2x better and it was already a great move to begin with.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I just use L as jump now since I never use my left index finger for anything anyway.

This just made Rock Smash 2x better and it was already a great move to begin with.
Same here, never use my left index finger or L so having it as a spare button for this tech is awesome.

Shog

Smash Ace
Yes. That sounds amazing...

(hopefully that doesn't get patched!)

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Been using this tech online in 1v1 and it's really good, destroys oppents approaching with short hop aerials. The only bad thing is that if I try to do the input too quickly I accidentally Flare Blitz myself off the stage.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Charizard isn't the only one who can do this. Ike can slide forward during his counter, and it's likely that most characters with a down-B that doesn't move them can pull similar tech. Robin still jumps a little while doing it, but he goes farther than Charizard.

This slightly decreases the possibility of a patch? I don't know

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Charizard isn't the only one who can do this. Ike can slide forward during his counter, and it's likely that most characters with a down-B that doesn't move them can pull similar tech. Robin still jumps a little while doing it, but he goes farther than Charizard.

This slightly decreases the possibility of a patch? I don't know
Doesn't that mean it's more likely to get patched since it's more wide spread?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Sliding rock smash is amazing when your opponent is grabbing the edge. They can either get up attack and hit our super armor, or their invincibility frames run out and a chunk of crumbled rock hits them. Decent approach and you can reverse it as well to do a mini b-reverse rock smash. I feel this has improved Charizard's meta.

Also, Charizard won 57% to 43% against Yoshi in the latest conquest contest on wifi.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I read somewhere that if you want to do an OoS UP B you need to tap jump first then press up and B, why is this?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Because the jump cancels your forced shield drop animation, and up b cancels your jump squat animation.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to chime in and say that Ike's sliding counter, all sliding counters actually, have been removed from the game. So maybe Nintendo is deciding to keep the sliding rock smash tech, or they just forgot/didn't know about it. I sure hope it won't get patched. I feel like this tech single handed turned rock smash from a fantastic move to a godly move.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Is Charizard the slowest character in the game? Even Bowser's attacks come out quicker than Charizard's. There's an insane amount of lag to almost everything he does. Not sure why Sakurai made him much less quicker than he was in brawl. Hope he gets a quickness boost in the next patch.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
When should you use dair on the stage if at all? I feel like it has so much wind up, is easy to read, and has so much landing lag that it's not even worth risking it.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
When should you use dair on the stage if at all? I feel like it has so much wind up, is easy to read, and has so much landing lag that it's not even worth risking it.
Dair is amazing. Just like go for it. You can always recover back even if you miss. Just know that if you miss you lose the edgeguard opportunity.
I hit so many Dairs it's not even funny.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Dair is amazing. Just like go for it. You can always recover back even if you miss. Just know that if you miss you lose the edgeguard opportunity.
I hit so many Dairs it's not even funny.
I'm talking about on the ground not off the stage looking for a spike.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking about on the ground not off the stage looking for a spike.
You're right, it probably isn't worth risking unless they're in KO range, you get a super-hard read, AND you're certain they won't tech and punish anyway. (A2G)
Offstage, it's one of the better spikes.

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Is Charizard the slowest character in the game? Even Bowser's attacks come out quicker than Charizard's. There's an insane amount of lag to almost everything he does. Not sure why Sakurai made him much less quicker than he was in brawl. Hope he gets a quickness boost in the next patch.
His jab and up smash come out faster than any of Bowsers moves. Those are like Charizard's best moves. Also there's no need to Dair on stage since Nair is a much better option on stage.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
IMO Charizard is faster then Bowser, can potentially survive longer then Bowser with Super Armor manipulation and actually has somewhat decent Aerial game. A better Fire Breath. And Flare Blitz. Along with UpSmash and Down Smash being Get Away from me moves.

That said matchup wise Bowser and Charizard usually have the same issues. But I generally win more with Charizard because when that Blitz comes out, it comes out and it wrecks. And Zard's dash is really fast for what it is. It's a "I'm gonna get ya" dash.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Been playing mainly as Dark Pit but might switch to Charizard as I was a huge pokemon trainer user back in brawl and I need to find ways to get the KO. Prob gonna be diggin flare blitz for the same reasons I like electroshock glove - horizontal recovery and super armor - but gotta be conservative with it I know (Sadly my local meta game doesn't allow customs yet or else I'd be dragon rushing for sure). Any other advice for a beginner?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Been playing mainly as Dark Pit but might switch to Charizard as I was a huge pokemon trainer user back in brawl and I need to find ways to get the KO. Prob gonna be diggin flare blitz for the same reasons I like electroshock glove - horizontal recovery and super armor - but gotta be conservative with it I know (Sadly my local meta game doesn't allow customs yet or else I'd be dragon rushing for sure). Any other advice for a beginner?
Pretend you are playing Street Fighter. Never jump unless you have a good reason for it. Zard aerials are great but not for the purpose of spacing. His tools are more for punishing and trading with things. And Zard is godly on the ground.

If your opponents play stuff like Sheik and Greninja and abuse the dairs just jump at them and upB. This can kill as early as 40-50%.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of upB, OoS comes out fast enough to punish just about everything off a standard block, while USmash comes out nearly as. It seems that mastery of OoS would be essential towards matches against the faster characters?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I heard the hitstun on Zard's first jab is so low, almost any character can just Nair out of it before being able to link into the 2nd jab and do the whole combo properly... like wtf?

Can anyone confirm/disprove this?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I heard the hitstun on Zard's first jab is so low, almost any character can just Nair out of it before being able to link into the 2nd jab and do the whole combo properly... like wtf?

Can anyone confirm/disprove this?
Hold A and this won't happen. It combos juuuuuust barely into the 2nd hit.

spazsquirrle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-0283-4141
Okay so I have a couple questions about charizard. Btw this is for the 3ds.

1) is fox trotting possible with charizard? I can't seem to get it down. Anyone have any tips (videos or pictures preferred since I learn better from seeing)

2) is perfect pivoting possible with charizard ON the. 3ds? I recently saw a video about perfect pivoting and I want to get it down pat so I can utilize it, but I don't fully understand the timing. If anyone knows of a video that focuses on the 3ds and shows the timing for the joystick inputs that'd be great. (Basically a video of the joystick on the 3ds)

3) this isn't charizard specific but I've seen it on a lot of charizard threads. What is OOS? I noticed people mentioning it in relation to Rock smash.

Thanks for the help !!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
@ spazsquirrle spazsquirrle this didn't really warrant its own topic so I merged it with the Zard metagame discussion thread.

Unfortunately I can't help your 3DS specific questions since I exclusively play on the Wii U, but OoS = Out of Shield.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Okay so I have a couple questions about charizard. Btw this is for the 3ds.

1) is fox trotting possible with charizard? I can't seem to get it down. Anyone have any tips (videos or pictures preferred since I learn better from seeing)

2) is perfect pivoting possible with charizard ON the. 3ds? I recently saw a video about perfect pivoting and I want to get it down pat so I can utilize it, but I don't fully understand the timing. If anyone knows of a video that focuses on the 3ds and shows the timing for the joystick inputs that'd be great. (Basically a video of the joystick on the 3ds)

3) this isn't charizard specific but I've seen it on a lot of charizard threads. What is OOS? I noticed people mentioning it in relation to Rock smash.

Thanks for the help !!
  1. it is: http://youtu.be/Uzv-fmiTH_M?t=24s / Charizard can fox trot on both versions
  2. It is, but harder to do on the 3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0
  3. OOS meaks Out of Shield, & yeah you've probably noticed it from when people mention OoS + JC + Rock Smash & btw JC = Jump Canceled

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If you're unfamiliar with the Jump Canceled Rock Smash I'd highly suggest you watch the following video:

It's a piece of tech every Zard main should learn, and it's fairly easy to get down with some practice.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Charizard's DSmash hits lower than Little Mac's. Do we have another edgeguarding tool?

Top Bottom